Consumer Reviews of Vermont Castings wood stoves

Read reviews of other Wood Stove brands

Date created: 2019-03-23 Name: walter leopold
Location: Mississippi

"vc 2040"
Cannot control the temperature..........the gasket on the cat damper came from the factory not glued on.........dealer fixed but did not fix problem........with cat damper closed and primary air closed flames still, shoot upward towards the cat damper as if it was open........don't understand how flames continue up with the damper closed. With cat damper or primary air control open or closed makes no difference on flame....using dry wood (10%) temperature goes wild....any comments on how your 2040 flames react to damper being closed

Date created: 2019-02-17 Name: Philip Schmeer
Location: New York

"American has been."
If you're in the market for an expensive boat anchor get a Vermont castings wood stove !!!!!
Date created: 2019-01-22 Name: James Hodges
Location: Hillsboro, VA

"Access Cover"
Vc Encore top loading There is a major design flaw in the supports for the access cover. The cover is held on by a tiny tab which after loading firewood for a season wears down the 2 covers supports on the refractory fireback. The cover falls out into the firebox. The dealer replaced the fireback and the broken access cover. That was 2 winters ago. I have a repeat situation where the cover will not stay in place this winter. Vc does not acknowledge the problem. They are very difficult to contact. 2015-1019 The stove will burn only about 5 hours max with the damper closed and the air control closed. Don't expect the glass to remain clear. You will need to clean it regularly. It is a very attractive stove, but I would never recommend buying it without design improvements for securing the access cover.
Date created: 2019-01-12 Name: alla koren
Location: Massachusetts

"Encore woodstove"
Bought it 2 months ago instead of old Vermont castings stove. I want my old stove back! This one is impossible to regulate, it burns so high and instead of a wood economy, it eats so much wood to keep it going. Once the temperature is normal I have to start the fire again- it goes to room temperatures in minutes
Date created: 2018-11-25 Name: Charles smith
Location: Front Royal, VA

"Stove performance"
Our stove is new. Used it only 5 times. For now, using the stove without catalyst installed. I have not had stove over 500 degrees, flew draws good. The fan is almost useless. The fan starts at about 350 but the air is not discharged from anyplace around the stove. The fan is pulling air into the inlet of a fan but hardly no air can be felt from around stove in the back or in front, even at highest fan speed. As advertised. The stove should hold fire for at least 12 hours. About 4 hours is the limit. The stove seems to be well made except the glass gets very black after each fire and has to be cleaned with a very sharp razor blade. The bypass works. But cannot be used until a good bed of embers have been established. The control air on the right side seems to work. The temperature gauge with a long probe which is to indicate temperature to engage catalyst. Has always read 0. We are very disappointed with the performance of this stove. We would not buy this brand again
Date created: 2018-11-17 Name: gary young
Location: Stockbridge, MI

"Bad stove"
Had Vermont castings in my family for over 40 years, we have had 3 defiants over the past 30 years, the first 2 we just loved them we bought a brown enamel defiant in 2017 and can't get it to burn worth a damn, it's not half the stove the other 2 were. Everything is the same the stove sits in the same place, same size pipe same everything this is a new design and it doesn't work properly at all. Don't waste your money
Date created: 2018-03-04 Name: H. Brakeley
Location: Vermont

"Poor quality control"
The stove is built solidly and now works well enough, but still not as advertised and it required a lot of work to get here. You won't get more than 4 hours out of a burn, regardless of amount of wood loaded in, and the burn is very unpredictable - it really wants to overfire. If the catalyst 'engages' as designed the temperatures will rocket regardless of damper setting. If the wood used is dry, even good ~15-20% moisture content wood - crazy high temperatures. The unit we bought also had multiple quality issues, and there is no support or service to fix them - you pay for the dealer to come work on it. There was a gap in one of the seams between cast parts which let excess air in causing crazy high temperatures and uncontrollable burns until we found it. The ash door + ash door gasket were poorly aligned allowing the same overfire and high temps until I fixed that as well. The firebricks in the back don't align, and sometimes just fall out of place. The unit looks nice, but save your money and buy something of quality - I would never buy or recommend VT Castings again.
Date created: 2018-02-24 Name: Elaine Mansfield
Location: Burdett, NY

"Vt Castings Mess"
I've had Vermont Casting Stoves for decades & loved both Defiant and Reliance. My new Defiant is poorly made. Soap stone falls into firebox repeatedly. Broke once. Customer line doesn't respond. Dealer closed business and other dealers won't call back. No more vt Castings for me.
Date created: 2018-01-22 Name: Geno Very Pissedoff
Location: Sicklerville, NJ

"Lies and total SCUMBAGS!"
Wow do not, I repeat do not buy anything from this shamn company. We have had out lifetime warrantied Aspen since 1998 and the top cracked, called the dealer The Fireplace People in Berlin. They ordered it, agreed with me that they got it going, 2 weeks later they called back to tell me the Company that bought out Vermont Castings no longer gives warranty replacements because of the year I bought it, wow just wow. Everyone I talked to on the phone there (I have recordings) was rude and one even hung up on me!! This company is garbage and nothing more!! Scumbags.
Date created: 2017-05-30 Name: Sandy McLardy
Location: Cape Cod, MA

"Encore wood stove"
I purchased my stove 6 months ago. The stove works well. I had to assist the sir damper that the instructions tell you never to touch but all in all its been good. My problem is with the company. They do not want to talk to you or help. I purchased the enamel stove pipe to match my biscuit color and it took 4 months to arrive. Needless to say I made some phone calls and not once did someone give me an update. Lots of promises to call me back. I since learned that they have been bought out by a huge company with a conglomerate of stove companies. I feel they are trading on their past reputation but it's a matter of time before they drive that name into the ground. So I would recommend the encore stove but I would hope that customer has no need for customer support.