Consumer Reviews of Osburn wood stoves

#14  of 21 brands of wood stoves

Read more about Osburn wood stoves

Read reviews of other Wood Stove brands

Date created: 2018-04-06 Name: B. Brown III
Location: Ashford, CT

"Words cannot express how much I hate this woodstove"
I have had my Osburn woodstove about four years ago and I grow to loathe it more and more each year. When we moved out woodstove to the basement, we went looking for a big, robust stove that would put out some heat, because we needed to get it upstairs. The salesperson at our nearby woodstove store recommended the Osburn 2400. Sadly, I bought it. What a terrible woodstove. The design, with the wide, deep, but short, firebox makes it damn near impossible to easily build a fire. Because of the short box, it is very hard to load the stove. I was told that this stove would "easily" burn for 12 - 14 hours. I put seasoned hardwood (oak, maple) and I'm lucky to get 6. I will replace this stove as soon as I have the money to do so. TERRIBLE.

Date created: 2018-02-10 Name: B Neil
Location: Palmer, AK

"The worst Company and Fire Insert Ever"
Purchased this wood insert late 20016 the gasket around the door had not been put incorrectly and so there was a airflow into the front of the fire this was the very first time of lighting. Contacted Osburn and they did not want to honor the first year service by sending out someone to fix the gasket. There only other option was to send me the gasket and that I would have to replace it which I did. One year later after an professional inspection it turned out two of the baffles were damaged, either by the installer or directly from the manufacturer, be warned these baffles are very expensive to replace. This replacement was required only after one season of using the fire insert Their fires are cheap quality , getting into the chimney entry is near impossible to get the brush started. This company operates out of Canada so beware as stated their customer service is simply awful and even although they sell their items in Alaska they are not at all willing to service this area as per the initial warranty . Would never consider purchasing any of their products and after visiting numerous outlets they had the same negative response to their products.
Date created: 2018-01-17 Name: N. Ewoldsen
Location: Indiana

"Watch out! Osburn, SBI, BonD'Expedition are snakes hiding in the grass"
Both door pins spontaneously fractured on my free-standing Osburn 2200 causing the door to fall to the floor resulting in a runaway fire which I did control using quick thinking & action. Had the failure happened after I'd gone to bed the result would have been catastrophic. I called to report the failure and couldn't even get anyone to help me order replacement parts, let alone explain the failure. They charged my credit card $90 confirming I'd receive new hinge pins in 5 days. What arrived were louvers for a 2200 Osburn fireplace insert heat-a-lator. I called to get the correct part and while they did give me the complete part number for what's shown on their website as "#25", which is exactly what the phone contact person told me to order ON-LINE. The incorrect part came from SBI (Stove Builders Incorporated), with a packing slip from Bon D'Expedition. Neither SBI or BonD/ Expedition accept returns and neither accepts orders by phone despite the fact the internet schematics did not show the complete part number. I've owned wood stoves since 1978 and I truly believe Osburn, SBI and Bon D'Expedition are hiding in the tall grass to avoid liability consequences. My advice: STAY AWAY from these bozos. They do not respect their customers once the sale is complete.
Date created: 2018-01-01 Name: Kat Berry
Location: Alberta Canada

"Osburn 2300"
We bought this Osburn 2300 in Dec 1999.. We live in Alberta Canada where temps dive to -42c some winters. Our home is an old 2 story farm house heated only by this stove. This stove keeps the entire 2 levels warm to the point we have to open a window in the winter to cool the place down.
Date created: 2017-10-30 Name: Bu t. Hurt
Location: North Carolina

"Osburn insert"
Bought the Osburn model 2400 last year and while it looks nice, it is a joke. I live in the mountain's of western North Carolina and burn only seasoned hard woods. This Osburn insert was a replacement for my old insert which I had heated with for years, thought it would be nice to upgrade. Now if I load this thing up at 11pm it will be out 4-5 hours later. Will not burn all night! Even with the stove turned all the way down it still burns like crazy and at times gets almost scary. I am going to take this $2,500 mistake out and put my old insert back in. Do not buy Osburn. When I called their costumer service, they told me it's normal for it to burn hot and wouldn't hold wood all night? Sure didn't say that on their website when I was trying to decide which stove to buy.
Date created: 2017-08-12 Name: Barry
Location: Palmer AK

"Terrible customer Service"
Had a Osburn wood fire installed last year, the gasket failed around the edge of the glass. I contacted Osburn and they would not send the installer to make good a new gasket. Their way round the situation was to send me a gasket and do it myself.
Date created: 2016-12-26 Name: RC
Location: Fayetteville, AR

"Love my Stove!!!"
I have had my wood stove for 4 years now and absolutely love it. It provides ample heat for my entire home. It's very easy to clean and maintain. I usually scoop out the ashes once a week at most. It does a great job of burning all the wood with very little ash remaining when it's finished. I typically go through 3 ricks a year of wood which is much cheaper than buying gas or electric. I typically have a chimney sweep come out once a year to do a in depth cleaning, but other than that I have had no maintenance. I have recommended to my friends to use this brand and one has and he loves his as well. Lastly the look of the stove in my living room is a centerpiece and many nights are spent gathered around the stove absorbing its warmth. If I ever move, I will have to install this stove in my new place.
Date created: 2016-12-13 Name: LB
Location: Rochester, NY

"Best Investment Ever"
My wife and I just bought this wood stove for the upcoming winter. This wood stove was our best investment for our new home. So far, it is working amazing and we are very pleased with it. I would recommend this type of wood stove to family and friends.
Date created: 2016-11-16 Name: Lisa T
Location: Hendersonville, NC

"Nothing like wood heat!"
Living in a remote area of western North Carolina, winters are particularly rough and fraught with ice storms, snow, and often with sub-zero temperatures. Although our home does have electric baseboard heat, for those really cold days we depend on our Osburn wood stove for that extra "boost" of heat. There's nothing like a wood fire for providing steady, even heat when you need it most---and Osburn delivers that extra punch of toasty warmth. We are most pleased with our Osburn stove, and wouldn't trade it for any other model. We have recommended Osburn stoves for our neighbors as an economical source of supplemental heat, and wouldn't buy another brand (although there are several brands readily available in our area). Osburn stoves light quickly and reach optimum heating efficiency in less than 15 minutes. Our Osburn stove burns surprisingly clean, with not a lot of smokiness associated with most wood-burning stoves; most of the smoke is carried away quickly through the stovepipe. In our opinion, Osburn is the last name in wood-burning stoves!
Date created: 2016-11-01 Location: Fairfax, Virginia

"Love my wood stove!"
I have owned my Osburn 900 for more than 5 years and I still love it because it warms whole entire space of my house! It does not take long to heat up the space (~15 minutes) and it is adequate for winter time, especially January and February. My area (Fairfax) gets a lot of snow and I need to be safe from the cold. It also looks stylish and matches well with either wooden or carpeted floors. The size is adequate for my place, too. The only downside is that it does not come with a blower. Other than that, I don't have any dislikes. I would definitely buy the same stove again, and I would recommend it to friends ir family if they were looking for a wood stove.