Consumer Reviews of Jotul wood stoves

#14  of 21 brands of wood stoves

Read more about Jotul wood stoves

Read reviews of other Wood Stove brands

Date created: 2018-10-24 Name: Lee Fontaine
Location: Wakefield, RI

"Exactly What I Needed"
Keeps our 1800-square foot, 100-year old farm house warm throughout coastal Rhode Island winters. Easily keeps the inside temperature 40 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit over outside temperature. Even when it gets down into the low teens and single numbers. I just feed it more often and can get 60 degrees over outside. Below that, we turn on the electric heaters. The firebox is a little small, but it holds a 24-inch log and burns it front to back like a cigar. Five- to six-hour burns with well seasoned oak are the norm. Each time you bank it, it's important to rake the coals forward. It burns best with at least three pieces of wood, so you need to make sure your wood is split a little on the smaller side. It needs a layer of ash on the floor of the fire box to heat at its best. It has two shortcomings in my opinion. First, there's no ash solution, so you need to burn it down and shovel it out periodically. Second, the draft control moves less than a quarter of an inch from full open to full closed so you can't fine tune it. I watch the stove and flue temperatures to make sure I'm not overheating anything. The stove has been trouble free for four heating seasons and I recommend it without hesitation.

Date created: 2018-09-26 Name: C Floridino
Location: Gray, ME

"Enamel flaking off stove!"
In 2012, we spent $2,000 on our brown enamel wood stove. The stove now looks like it has a disease! Few weeks ago I was dusting off, and the enamel started coming off in good sized pieces! Pieces are so sharp that my husband got cut! This is a safety issue! Stove looks like it has a disease in front of our beautiful stone fireplace! We contacted the dealer, Embers Stove in South Portland, ME, who asked us questions and said they would contact Jotul. Week later we were told not covered under warranty! Evidently, they said because in the past we had burned a few bio bricks in it a FEW times (only to get it started), and that that was why it happened! They said it got too hot! We were NEVER told this when we purchased for $2,000! We never would have paid $300-$400 more if we knew this could happen! Would have gone with black cast iron. The way the stove is designed, it doesn't even get red hot. We burned around 400 degrees usually. I will never purchase, nor recommend a Jotul stove. Vermont Castings stove we had in another house was great though. NOT HAPPY with JOTUL!
Date created: 2018-03-14 Name: Alan Dunn
Location: Auburn, CA

"Jotul large window stoves"
The source of my dissatisfaction is that the glass on the doors only lasts only about 3 years if you use it regularly in cold weather. At least that has been my experience. The first time that my glass broke (after about 3 years) Jotul agreed to replace it at no cost if I agreed to pay for it to be replaced if it happened again. That was about 3 years ago, and this morning the glass broke again. Something tells me that this is not a fluke occurrence, seeing that this has happened to me twice. This is purely a case of the glass not being able to withstand regular usage, and it's not cheap.
Date created: 2018-01-16 Name: Sterling "Dusty" Lewis
Location: West Virginia

"All hype, no heat"
Very good looking unit but that is the end of the positives. Purchased this stove due to efficiency, I presume I got that but in return I also got limited heat. Issues, 1. Even though it was largest model it is a very small firebox. 2. Fans are very quiet but it is because they don’t move much air. 3. Even with draft open the design promotes smoke pouring into room. 4. Handle needs a position that would allow for door to be “open” but not Free swinging, sometimes tough to get draft going but you can’t walk away from stove with door cracked open due to potential smoke entering or a long/ember coming out into room. I even had a rep come out because it was clearly not meeting my expectations. He tried to blame it on my wood but he had a moisture meter and wood was perfect. The room that it is in is approximately 20’ x 20’, it does warm the room but does nothing more. I had an old, “inefficient” Buckstove that was not very airtight or pretty but with the same amount of wood would absolutely run you out of the room and would heat 3 rooms away to a comfortable temperature. Clearly newer is not always better. I will be selling this stove and putting old boy back in house. Don’t be persuaded by the looks, this is not a good product if you are looking for heat.
Date created: 2017-12-28 Name: Dave
Location: Vermont

"Jotul means junk"
We purchased a jutul 500 a several years ago. Worked fine the first year, started having problems right away. It has a design flaw. Above the fire bed is a gas recirculating series of pipes and insulating stone held in place with 2 bolts. When the stove heats up, the bolts loosen, o e bump with a lot, the whole thing drops down in pieces. I have had the service dept. Here at least 3 times at about 100 bucks a pop to try and fix it. Very I.portant, there things also have a life span of about 10 years. Then the seals give out. Yes not welded. So with the two g back draft you get an old in your house. We paid around 1800.00 for the stove. Wish I could get my money back. Do not get suckered into purchasing a name and not a good product.
Date created: 2017-12-23 Name: Wes Evey
Location: Pennsylvania

"Jotul F55"
I purchased a jotul f55 2 years ago after alot of stove research, Could not have made a better chioce. Not one problem with stove we burn 24/7 during northeast winter. This is our main heat source. I'm heating a 1900 sq ft ranch from basement, this stove once hot will cook you out. Burns clean and efficient, get 12 hr burns out of this stove. I strongly recommend this stove to anyone looking for a main heat source with wood, very low maintenance and no parts beside a total of 3 gaskets that may need replaced over the years.
Date created: 2017-01-24 Name: mk
Location: Townshend, VT

"i can live without it"
I love my wood stove. I have a Jotul F 500 and would not replace it with anything else. I live in the Northeast and it gets very cold in the winter. I have had my Jotul stove for 4 years now and it is amazing. I have never had to replace or fix it at all. I have had other wood stoves and nothing has compared to Jotul. We use our wood stove as our primary source of heat all winter and the temperature gets down into the negatives. My wood stove is great and I would highly recommend it to anyone. If need be I would 100 percent buy another Jotul wood stove. In fact, I am going to be purchasing another one for a workshop I have that also needs a heating source. In my opinion, there is nothing like the heat you get from a wood stove and I would say Jotul is one of, if not the best company to choose when you're in the market for a wood stove.
Date created: 2017-01-22 Name: DK
Location: Jay, Maine

"You're going to love your Jotul"
I just got the Jotul F400 this fall so this my first winter with it. It has completely changed our house and comfort level! We have saved so much money by burning wood vs oil it is amazing. We usually set the thermostat at 65 degrees in the winter and just deal with being chilly but so far we've burnt no oil and the house has averaged 70 degrees with only 3 cords of wood burnt so far. The Jotul is very efficient - a small arm load of wood lasts the whole night. It's a super heavy stove so there's a lot of thermal mass - once you heat it up it stays hot for while. It hold coals well, burns clean, has a beautiful finish on it and I love the decorative glass front. I would definitely recommend this stove and would buy another one in a heart beat given the opportunity. If you buy this stove you won't be disappointed. Just bring a friend or two to help you move it.
Date created: 2016-11-01 Location: St Ignatius, Montana

"I'm happy with my Jotul"
My little Jotul heats my home in Montana through the cold winter. It keeps my little cabin cozy and dry. It was the smallest model that Jotul offered and it is the perfect fit for my living space. It burns clean and heats up my whole cabin. It has a comforting feel to it that I love. I know no matter what that I will have heat because of my Jotul. The electricity can go out and I will still be safe and warm. I have had this little stove for 2 years now. I have never had to replace or repair it. I would recommend Jotul and this little classic model to anyone who has a smaller home or cabin they are wanting to heat with wood fire. This classic model has a cook top which I would not have bought it without. The only thing that I wish was different, or that I don't like about this stove is how small the glass window is. I wish I could see more of the fire not just the 6x4 inch or so window on the front. I can't imagine I will even need to buy another woodstove since the cast iron will last a lifetime, but if I did, I would definitely stick with the time tested Jotul brand.