Consumer Reviews of Jotul wood stoves

#15  of 21 brands of wood stoves

Read more about Jotul wood stoves

Read reviews of other Wood Stove brands

Date created: 2019-07-31 Name: Jeffrey Pasqua
Location: Forked River, NJ

"Great stove"
This stove is well constructed, all heavy cast Iron plates over steel box. Firebrick lined on 4 sides is a huge plus. Large glass door with great view. You can fit an 18" log front to back with no problem, or 21" sideways. I like front to back for a very long cigar burn. I get a full 8 hours at over 300 degree temps with a full load of oak. It has a secondary burn which works fairly well. I have a blower option which is super quiet and effective, although I rarely need to use it. The stove produces excellent radiant heat, it also has convection hear along the sides. Simple operation with one single air control. It takes a little bit to heat up from cold as is has alot of area to heat up, but once it gets going its a producer for the entire night or day. 6" exhaust either top or rear with a simple change and two bolts. Includes a rear heat sheild for tight areas. Only negative I found was the side cast iron panels tend to loosen up, which needs the screws to be snugged up once in a while. I made thicker mounting plates to help with this as I believe they bend with heat and weight. Very minor issue, bought in 2018 and burned 4+ cords from oct to march. Clean.

Date created: 2019-02-23 Name: Nug Ales
Location: Oklahoma

"3 years review F55"
I am 67 years old, burned wood all my life. I have Had many wood stoves, but none as good as this Jotul. Started a fire this morning after 14 hrs off of Coals, no fire starters. With seasoned hardwood that Is the norm, very high quality stove that works like it's Suppose to. Price was a little higher than some but Worth every penny.
Date created: 2019-01-24 Name: Lou D.
Location: Morris County, NJ

"Completely Dissatisfied."
Bought this Jotul insert 3 years ago and have had nothing but disappointment and issues since. 1. There is very little heat. Even with the fans blowing, the heat is limited to 10 feet around the insert. 2. The glass. I've replaced the glass twice already. The first time it cracked due to heat. The second time a piece of wood shifted slightly into it during a burn and it popped. 3. I've had to reseal the door with a new gasket every year. 4. The upper plates above the vapor tubes, have small ceramic plates inside of them, that pop out and shift up so that heat escapes during every burn. 5. The burn. Every time we burn wood, it burns very inefficiently, creating large burnt chunks and worst of all a tremendous amount of soot at the top of the chimney, requiring a chimney clean every year, if not twice a year.
Date created: 2019-01-03 Name: Disabled American Veteran
Location: Reno, NV

"Jotul's Customer Service Sucks :("
Why is there no choice here for the natural gas fireplace? We bought a Jotul natural gas fireplace during Summer. To our dismay, it's first Winter it wouldn't work during power outages although Jotul boasts no electricity is required for it to operate, and then its remote stopped working meaning we lost its features in operating the fireplace. We then found Jotul and its dealer/installer severely lacking in customer service. They were repeatedly rude, proudly dismissive, grossly arrogant, cruelly impatient, had zero attentiveness, had bad communication skills, had no knowledge of the product, had no ability to use positive language, had no problem-solving abilities, and were decidedly unhelpful. To our later horror we discovered Jotul's dealer / installer didn't have all the required contractors licenses for the install they did. We only discovered this significant failure after we attempted to get warranty service from Jotul's dealer/installer. After we were not helped by Jotul's dealer/installer, we directly contacted Jotul. They didn't help us either. Nor did Jotul care that their dealer/installer they referred us to in writing failed to have all the required contractors licenses. As Seniors and Disabled Veterans, we definitely feel we were ripped-off by Jotul and Jotul's dealer / installer.
Date created: 2018-12-23 Name: A Brown
Location: Leeds, ME

"Always back drafts when open door"
Just bought a new Castine 400. I cannot open the door to put more wood in the stove without it back drafting smoke into the room no matter what I do. Even with the damper wide open, smoke will discharge into the room. Iíve had other Jotulís for over 20 yrs. Never had a problem. Paid over $3,000.00 for this stove. Very disappointed in its performance. Seriously thinking about removing the upper plate to get more of a direct exhaust. They never honor the warranty anyway. Just curious if anyone else had the same issues.
Date created: 2018-11-24 Name: todd a tissot
Location: NY

"Have had issues"
Similar issues with flaking enamel as an earlier reviewer. Additionally, flue did not function without sticking when the unit first arrived. Service technician informed us internal parts were bent. Overall I think they may have a poor quality control process.
Date created: 2018-10-24 Name: Lee Fontaine
Location: Wakefield, RI

"Exactly What I Needed"
Keeps our 1800-square foot, 100-year old farm house warm throughout coastal Rhode Island winters. Easily keeps the inside temperature 40 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit over outside temperature. Even when it gets down into the low teens and single numbers. I just feed it more often and can get 60 degrees over outside. Below that, we turn on the electric heaters. The firebox is a little small, but it holds a 24-inch log and burns it front to back like a cigar. Five- to six-hour burns with well seasoned oak are the norm. Each time you bank it, it's important to rake the coals forward. It burns best with at least three pieces of wood, so you need to make sure your wood is split a little on the smaller side. It needs a layer of ash on the floor of the fire box to heat at its best. It has two shortcomings in my opinion. First, there's no ash solution, so you need to burn it down and shovel it out periodically. Second, the draft control moves less than a quarter of an inch from full open to full closed so you can't fine tune it. I watch the stove and flue temperatures to make sure I'm not overheating anything. The stove has been trouble free for four heating seasons and I recommend it without hesitation.
Date created: 2018-09-26 Name: C Floridino
Location: Gray, ME

"Enamel flaking off stove!"
In 2012, we spent $2,000 on our brown enamel wood stove. The stove now looks like it has a disease! Few weeks ago I was dusting off, and the enamel started coming off in good sized pieces! Pieces are so sharp that my husband got cut! This is a safety issue! Stove looks like it has a disease in front of our beautiful stone fireplace! We contacted the dealer, Embers Stove in South Portland, ME, who asked us questions and said they would contact Jotul. Week later we were told not covered under warranty! Evidently, they said because in the past we had burned a few bio bricks in it a FEW times (only to get it started), and that that was why it happened! They said it got too hot! We were NEVER told this when we purchased for $2,000! We never would have paid $300-$400 more if we knew this could happen! Would have gone with black cast iron. The way the stove is designed, it doesn't even get red hot. We burned around 400 degrees usually. I will never purchase, nor recommend a Jotul stove. Vermont Castings stove we had in another house was great though. NOT HAPPY with JOTUL!
Date created: 2018-03-14 Name: Alan Dunn
Location: Auburn, CA

"Jotul large window stoves"
The source of my dissatisfaction is that the glass on the doors only lasts only about 3 years if you use it regularly in cold weather. At least that has been my experience. The first time that my glass broke (after about 3 years) Jotul agreed to replace it at no cost if I agreed to pay for it to be replaced if it happened again. That was about 3 years ago, and this morning the glass broke again. Something tells me that this is not a fluke occurrence, seeing that this has happened to me twice. This is purely a case of the glass not being able to withstand regular usage, and it's not cheap.
Date created: 2017-12-28 Name: Dave
Location: Vermont

"Jotul means junk"
We purchased a jutul 500 a several years ago. Worked fine the first year, started having problems right away. It has a design flaw. Above the fire bed is a gas recirculating series of pipes and insulating stone held in place with 2 bolts. When the stove heats up, the bolts loosen, o e bump with a lot, the whole thing drops down in pieces. I have had the service dept. Here at least 3 times at about 100 bucks a pop to try and fix it. Very I.portant, there things also have a life span of about 10 years. Then the seals give out. Yes not welded. So with the two g back draft you get an old in your house. We paid around 1800.00 for the stove. Wish I could get my money back. Do not get suckered into purchasing a name and not a good product.