Consumer Reviews of Taylor wood furnaces

#16  of 30 brands of wood furnaces

Read more about Taylor wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2014-12-15 Name: John m dale
Location: Morrisdale, PA

"Worst company I've ever had to deal with."
My T-1000 is just now 3 years old and it has a big hole in it above the fire door. I called Taylor to see about the warranty and the man I talked to pretty much laughed in my face. I paid nearly $10,000 for this furnace and they won't stand behind their 6-year warranty? This is crazy and I am going to tell all I can what a rip-off company Taylor is!

Date created: 2014-12-10 Name: Doug
Location: Upstate NY

"Good stove"
Bought this unit in 1997 and it's still going strong. Just keep the pH in the water right and it will last a long time, but it likes wood; that's the only drawback with the outdoor boilers.

Date created: 2014-09-18 Name: W Sam
Location: Buffalo, MN

"Keeps everything warm inside!"
I have owned a Taylor 750 for 6 years now and it has been nearly trouble free. I have had to replace the door gaskets, draft blower and 1 of the 2 pumps I have installed for the 2 buildings I heat. I live in central Minnesota, where the temps vary from 30 degrees down to -20 degrees. I heat my home and attached garage (5000 square feet) and my shop (2000 square feet). Both are well insulated and have good windows. The house we keep at 72 degrees. The attached garage we keep at 60 degrees. And the shop I keep at 40 degrees, unless I'm working out there; then I turn it up to 65 deg. That being said, I usually fill the stove 2 times per day, unless the temperature drops bellow 10 degrees. Then I can fill it 3-4 times per day (heating all buildings at high interior temps and also what type of wood you burn.) I set up the pumps to run constantly, so I do burn more wood than if the pumps came on when the thermostat calls for heat. But this does keep the house a consistent temp, which is nice on cold winter days. The stove is a little time consuming to clean, but if you don't let the creosote build up it's not too bad. I believe that maintenance is the key to long life with any product and your stove is no exception! I drain and replace the water every year with new chemical and anode rods. Spending a few bucks in chemical a year is cheap insurance that the water in your stove stays non-corrosive and hopefully leak free. I looked at other stoves on the market and have no regrets with this stove purchase.

Date created: 2014-02-16 Name: John Zetter
Location: Princeton, Mn

"2nd Taylor T-450"
We installed our first Taylor t-450 in 1990. It lasted 15 years, at which time a leak developed in the middle of the heating season. The leak was minor and we were able to run the stove for the rest of the season without problems. During the 15 years, we replaced blower fans twice and a circulation pump once--no other problems. In 2006, we traded the old stove in for a new T-450, which had a similar design but was constructed with stainless. This unit has basically been problem free, except for a warped door which had failed welds at the corners. I removed the door and had a machine shop straighten and re-weld the door. New gaskets were installed too.

Date created: 2014-02-15 Name: Michael Ray
Location: ne Ohio

"4th or 5th year in Ohio with Taylor."
I shopped quite a bit before choosing Taylor. The main plus was I looked at 2-3 furnaces that had been working 20 years with no incident. Number one ...choose your installer wisely if no Taylor guy is available. This cost me a first winter non-stop headache because of poor installation and buying another lift pump and another heat exchanger. First bury and insulate the lines properly and shield the furnace from the wind. Check your in and out temps with a cheap engine temp laser gun and you can get an idea of heat loss coming in and returning to furnace.I run the furnace water temp at about 165 on the gauge on furnace. The wood you burn is very very important. Unseasoned wood will burn but as mentioned previous sometimes is not kosher especially in the subzero temps we had this winter. Load wood at front of burner so fan blows on it. I run the fan flapper about 1/8th open unless firing up a real low fire to make some nice coals. The terrible cleaning woes!!!!! Very simple to keep those flues clean with a 3 inch wire brush mounted on a 12 inch battery drill attachment. Clean from the rear back to limit on drill bit extender then snap on another 12 inch extender and finish. This will clean the 4 inch flues up to a couple inches from the front. Let fire die down a bit and ream out the few inches remaining from the front.

Date created: 2014-01-08 Name: alan harper
Location: beckley wv

"450"
We bought new. Pipes on back were egg shaped had to cut and retread pipe. Door material cracked after 6 months after use. Called salesman he said they would come any replace it. Still have not seen them -- it's been over 5 years now. After 3 years it started leaking and has not stopped finally I replaced the whole fire box. 8 Months later it had 5 holes come in the side,replaced the side,3days later the othr side started leaking. The money I spent on this 450 I could have payed the gas bill and not had to do any work!! If you want to save money you better look somewhere else not to mention all the work. I have heard people have them for year w/o trouble. I may have a lemon made from bad steel. Of the stoves I have seen the legend looks the best.

Date created: 2013-12-04 Name: don
Location: poland ohio

"Should Have Done It Years Ago"
Got T450 this year heat 2 story 2200 sq ft home 2 pumps separated 2nd floor from first load once a day even when 10 deg out cleaning is pain. Very simple unit can buy parts at local hardware store pump fan ect. Don't have to worry about electronic devices to go bad. All stoves are good maintenance is key. I know people with this stove for 22 years no problems.

Date created: 2013-09-25 Name: Randy
Location: Augusta, WI

"Taylor 450"
We have had our stove for 5 years. Load only once a day unless temperature are below zero. Small wood box is only 24 x 24 and 36" deep. Heat house and water for a wheelbarrow's worth of wood a day! Cleaning does take sometime, best to do at the end of a heat cycle.

Date created: 2012-09-21 Name: C. Nicely
Location: Alleghany Co., VA

"Love the furnace"
My husband and I have owned a Taylor for 18 years. In that time, we have replaced the fan twice and the water pump once (both were available at Grainger). It has a really big firebox which keeps you from hitting your knuckles on the sides when you load it. You do have to be smart about how you use it. If you load all pine, you'll have boil over and have to add water. If you clean out all the ashes, the floor of the stove might burn through, but leaving a bed of hot coals has worked perfectly for us. In normal Virginia mountain winters, we load it once daily. If the temperature gets down into the single digits, we have to load it twice. The only thing we dislike is cleaning it. The creosote buildup is tough to scrape out if you let it get away from you. All in all, it has paid for itself many times over.

Date created: 2012-01-27 Location: Beaverton, OR

"Taylor 750 Review"
We've had a Taylor 750 for six years now. Operating in temperate coastal area we burn about nine cords per fall, winter and early spring to heat 3,000 sq ft house via radiant floor heat (1999 construction standards; five radiant floor heat zones) and all domestic hot water. It is a good unit - smokes when starting up, but when the unit is to temperature, 180 degrees, it burns clean. Load the cubic yard fire box once a day in temps in 50s; twice in 30s or below. Emergency generator runs pumps and fan that "stokes" the Taylor when it needs more heat. Good buy. Good unit, although the metal sheeting on the roof next to the chimney rusted through after the 3rd year. Replace with galvanized steel and now runs perfect again.