Consumer Reviews of Taylor wood furnaces

#16  of 32 brands of wood furnaces

Read more about Taylor wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2015-11-07 Name: Shirley Clouser
Location: East Waterford, PA

"Nobody works on these"
Wouldn't recommend to anyone that wants one, Can't find anyone to work on them when you need something fixed, or chemicals and rod changed. Save your money.

Date created: 2015-09-26 Name: B. Mullett
Location: Ohio

"Which stove lasts the longest, that's my question"
I installed my Taylor T-450 in 1993 when we built our house and it has been my only heat source. The only thing I have replaced is the blower motor on the door just last year and the door gaskets a few times over the years. Not bad for 22 years ! I am picking up a new Taylor T-450 stove today. The only reason for this is the new EPA regulations coming out next year, or I would continue burning my stove that was built in 1992. I know a lot of people that had Taylors that have not lasted as long as mine. My question to those people is, how well do you clean your stove after each burn season? I always clean the fire box and around the flu tubes down to every weld and coat it with used motor oil. I always drained the tank and changed out the rod every two years. I have never paid a heat bill and save money on my electric bill during the winter months by using the domestic coil and turning off my hot water heater. I thought about buying another brand of stove like some other people I know. After 22 years of heating my house that has paid for itself and my new stove, I just couldn't bring myself to do it ! I have someone coming tomorrow to look at my old stove and it's not even unhooked yet. I would like to hear from someone that has had their stove for as long as I have no matter what brand. I guarantee they will say the same thing - good maintenance!

Date created: 2015-08-24 Name: R. Dean
Location: Sutton, WV

"No problems for 10 years"
I've used my stove every winter since 2005. Have not replaced anything except the door fan. Built a shed over it when I first installed it. It still looks and works like new.

Date created: 2014-12-15 Name: John m dale
Location: Morrisdale, PA

"Worst company I've ever had to deal with."
My T-1000 is just now 3 years old and it has a big hole in it above the fire door. I called Taylor to see about the warranty and the man I talked to pretty much laughed in my face. I paid nearly $10,000 for this furnace and they won't stand behind their 6-year warranty? This is crazy and I am going to tell all I can what a rip-off company Taylor is!

Date created: 2014-12-10 Name: Doug
Location: Upstate NY

"Good stove"
Bought this unit in 1997 and it's still going strong. Just keep the pH in the water right and it will last a long time, but it likes wood; that's the only drawback with the outdoor boilers.

Date created: 2014-09-18 Name: W Sam
Location: Buffalo, MN

"Keeps everything warm inside!"
I have owned a Taylor 750 for 6 years now and it has been nearly trouble free. I have had to replace the door gaskets, draft blower and 1 of the 2 pumps I have installed for the 2 buildings I heat. I live in central Minnesota, where the temps vary from 30 degrees down to -20 degrees. I heat my home and attached garage (5000 square feet) and my shop (2000 square feet). Both are well insulated and have good windows. The house we keep at 72 degrees. The attached garage we keep at 60 degrees. And the shop I keep at 40 degrees, unless I'm working out there; then I turn it up to 65 deg. That being said, I usually fill the stove 2 times per day, unless the temperature drops bellow 10 degrees. Then I can fill it 3-4 times per day (heating all buildings at high interior temps and also what type of wood you burn.) I set up the pumps to run constantly, so I do burn more wood than if the pumps came on when the thermostat calls for heat. But this does keep the house a consistent temp, which is nice on cold winter days. The stove is a little time consuming to clean, but if you don't let the creosote build up it's not too bad. I believe that maintenance is the key to long life with any product and your stove is no exception! I drain and replace the water every year with new chemical and anode rods. Spending a few bucks in chemical a year is cheap insurance that the water in your stove stays non-corrosive and hopefully leak free. I looked at other stoves on the market and have no regrets with this stove purchase.

Date created: 2014-02-16 Name: John Zetter
Location: Princeton, Mn

"2nd Taylor T-450"
We installed our first Taylor t-450 in 1990. It lasted 15 years, at which time a leak developed in the middle of the heating season. The leak was minor and we were able to run the stove for the rest of the season without problems. During the 15 years, we replaced blower fans twice and a circulation pump once--no other problems. In 2006, we traded the old stove in for a new T-450, which had a similar design but was constructed with stainless. This unit has basically been problem free, except for a warped door which had failed welds at the corners. I removed the door and had a machine shop straighten and re-weld the door. New gaskets were installed too.

Date created: 2014-02-15 Name: Michael Ray
Location: ne Ohio

"4th or 5th year in Ohio with Taylor."
I shopped quite a bit before choosing Taylor. The main plus was I looked at 2-3 furnaces that had been working 20 years with no incident. Number one ...choose your installer wisely if no Taylor guy is available. This cost me a first winter non-stop headache because of poor installation and buying another lift pump and another heat exchanger. First bury and insulate the lines properly and shield the furnace from the wind. Check your in and out temps with a cheap engine temp laser gun and you can get an idea of heat loss coming in and returning to furnace.I run the furnace water temp at about 165 on the gauge on furnace. The wood you burn is very very important. Unseasoned wood will burn but as mentioned previous sometimes is not kosher especially in the subzero temps we had this winter. Load wood at front of burner so fan blows on it. I run the fan flapper about 1/8th open unless firing up a real low fire to make some nice coals. The terrible cleaning woes!!!!! Very simple to keep those flues clean with a 3 inch wire brush mounted on a 12 inch battery drill attachment. Clean from the rear back to limit on drill bit extender then snap on another 12 inch extender and finish. This will clean the 4 inch flues up to a couple inches from the front. Let fire die down a bit and ream out the few inches remaining from the front.

Date created: 2014-01-08 Name: alan harper
Location: beckley wv

"450"
We bought new. Pipes on back were egg shaped had to cut and retread pipe. Door material cracked after 6 months after use. Called salesman he said they would come any replace it. Still have not seen them -- it's been over 5 years now. After 3 years it started leaking and has not stopped finally I replaced the whole fire box. 8 Months later it had 5 holes come in the side,replaced the side,3days later the othr side started leaking. The money I spent on this 450 I could have payed the gas bill and not had to do any work!! If you want to save money you better look somewhere else not to mention all the work. I have heard people have them for year w/o trouble. I may have a lemon made from bad steel. Of the stoves I have seen the legend looks the best.

Date created: 2013-12-04 Name: don
Location: poland ohio

"Should Have Done It Years Ago"
Got t450 this year heat 2 story 2200 sq ft home 2 pumps separated 2nd floor from first load once a day even when 10 deg out cleaning is pain. Very simple unit can buy parts at local hardware store pump fan ect. Don't have to worry about electronic devices to go bad. All stoves are good maintenance is key. I know people with this stove for 22 years no problems.