Consumer Reviews of Shaver wood furnaces

#30  of 30 brands of wood furnaces

Read more about Shaver wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2014-11-17 Name: V. Gilbert
Location: Kentucky

"Terrible quality"
I bought my Shaver 165 in 2010 and heated with it that year. I had leaky fittings from the factory right off the bat. I replaced them myself, so I didn't think it was that big of deal at this point in time. I had a good seller, very nice and helpful. The year I bought it he got cancer, so I didn't bother him with the problems. Then, in the 2011 heating season, the pump went out and the blower, too. Now I'm starting to become unhappy with it. So I replaced them and the rest of the season went okay. I started to notice the tremendous amount of wood I was using, and I only use hardwood. My house is 1400 square feet and insulated very well. I live in Kentucky, so I don't live where it gets below 20 a lot. I'm an HVAC tech, so I can fix most of the problems myself, but I'm still not happy. Then, in the 2012 heating season, the boiler got a leak in the front, about a inch above the door. So I repaired that. The pump went out again. So replaced it again. I should mention I called Shaver, with no help through all these problems. So I took it upon myself to fix them due to that fact that I have young children, one who is disabled. Then, in the 2013 heating season, another leak in the front, about 6 inches to the side of the door. I repaired that. So I removed all the tin around the outside of the boiler and the sides. The steel wasn't protected from rust with paint, so condensation was rusting it. So I sanded and painted it. Then, in the 2014 heating season, the pump was out again. I replaced it. I looked inside the boiler like I do every season, and I noticed the flue pipe, where it doesn't cover, is scaling and rusting away due to condensation and steam. Soon that will need to be replaced. Since I've bought this piece of **** Shaver has redone the design of the water jacket where the water drains out the top of the box. It's not like the older version, where it drains out the side of the boiler about 6 inches from the top, where the steam and condensation happens. This should be a recall, like with vehicles when they have a major problem or fix. The government should step in because this is a major problem with older Shavers from possibly 2012 and back. So the newer version the flue is completely covered in water, preventing the scale and rust as long as you keep the boiler full. They say now, when buying a boiler, that their chemical for the water lasts 5 years instead of having to put chemicals in it every month. It's because of that fix with the drain at the top. I do realize some have bad water that has to be treated all the time even with the fix. but the ones who have pretty good water don't, which does help the customers who bought older version because the flue pipe is going to rust out eventually. The steel they used to make these boilers is poor quality and the fittings are plastic; the pump is low end and the blower is a low end product. The grate inside will warp and spread; it won't fit right after awhile. Bottom line - it has very poor quality material and workmanship. There should be a major recall on the older boilers from 2012 and back to replace them because they didn't come up with a whole new designed boiler. For example, the 165 is exactly the same design, but with the drain fixed due to all the problems it was causing. So they fixed it for future buyers, but that does nothing for us. A recall should be forced by a judge or government. Stay away like the others say.

Date created: 2014-11-11 Name: Dawn B
Location: PA

"Disappointed"
What good is Shaver's 20-year warranty if they don't call you back? I wish I would have seen these reviews first. We bought our stove 4 years ago and it leaks like a sieve. The door is only spot welded. Ray said send us new doors or get it welded, but when we call or email for an update, nothing. No answers, no return calls, no response. Time to call the Better Business Bureau, local Chamber of Commerce and our lawyer.

Date created: 2014-10-14 Name: R.Duncan
Location: MO

"Unsatisfied customer"
I'm very unsatisfied with my Shaver wood furnace. You need to add water daily, there is condensation everywhere, it uses more wood than any other wood furnaces in my area, and it has a low heat exchange. I would not wish this stove on anyone. Stay away from these furnaces, is my advice.

Date created: 2014-10-10 Name: Dale Hart
Location: Upstate New York

"Absolute junk"
Last year with this pos. It has been a nightmare since we bought it 8 years ago. We could have bought another decent furnace with the money we've put into it. Heat output sucked, too.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: John Mcalister
Location: Southern Indiana

"Run from Shaver"
I bought mine 7 years ago and it's been a nightmare since day one. If you have one of these, then you know about the crappy door over the roll of copper tube, the dime store thermostat, the poor workmanship throughout, and the fact that the flue pipe sticks out of the water in the water jacket, meaning it will rust completely through. I did have a couple of fair to good heat seasons after finding a forum with lots of good advice to help fix these turds. Billy in Arkansas and good ole Ben in North Carolina (you know them unless you went through a dealer) were right when they told me these are simple and easy to work on because that is life with Shaver. I did meet Billy in person, he's quite the salesman. What is worse, I bought 3 of these landmines. One for myself, one for a close friend and, as it turned out, one for my youngest son. I feel sad to know that their Shaver masterpieces are a ticking time bombs waiting to blow up. If you own one please inspect it as best you can, but sadly, the places where these things rust are impossible to inspect. I intend to cut the firebox (the only good thing about them) out of its rust bucket water jacket and put it in a section of a 1000 gallon propane tank, 3/8 thick. Once again, run - do not walk - from anyone trying to sell you one of these poor imitations of a wood boiler.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: Susie McClintock
Location: Jerseyville, IL

"Satisfied customer"
We bought our wood stove furnace around 2011 and we love our stove. We use our stove all year round; we keep it going for the water. Our service man is the greatest, Greg Steinacher. He is always there to answer any questions we may have and he ensures we get the best use out of our furnace. We were on propane, and we have already saved our money back, plus more. I would recommend this furnace to anyone who would want wood heat. We absolutely love ours and wouldn't go without one.

Date created: 2014-09-27 Name: Gary G.
Location: Rector, AR

"Shaver wood furnace"
I bought the furnace in 2009 and had a problem with the blower and thermostat right off the bat. Now I have a leak. I called; no answer called for several days. Finally drove 3 hours to talk to them and found the factory with gates chained and locked up. They are no longer making them there, but I did get to talk to Ray. They wanted me to bring them the furnace. I went back home, and later tried to call to set time up for them to come get it. Guess what? No answer. These people are crooks and I would not recommend anyone to deal with them. I fixed my stove myself. They are trying to sell some kind of solar heating system now. Stay away, if you know what is good for you. If you ever do get to talk to, or email them, they just give you the run around. Sorry bunch.

Date created: 2014-07-25 Name: Greg Steinacher
Location: Jerseyville, IL

"Owner"
I purchased our furnace in 2009 and was happy with the condition of the furnace when it arrived. I was told when I purchased it that it was built simple and strong and it was just as they said. I liked my furnace so well that I pursued a dealership from Shaver. I've been a Dealer now for over 4 years and have my original furnace still working away. My furnace is paid for now and have not bought any propane for 2 years now. Its like free heat. I've sold several units in the past years and only 1 customer was not happy with the furnace. The customer undersized the furnace that he needed and was not happy. Shaver gave him his money back and I picked up the furnace and returned it to Shaver Furnace. I have noticed that most of the problems that folks have are self inflicted. They don't follow the manual on the hookup or the water treatment its pretty basic and most all outdoor furnaces need the water treated as the manual clearly states. You should always buy from a good Dealer. Someone who believes in their product and will back the customer. I have talked to several folks that have not used any treatment in their furnaces even though they know they should. I guess they don't believe anything will happen. It just like a car, you can not expect it to last if you do not service it and if you don't service it, your warranty is void. Its just that simple! I am proud to recommend the Shaver Products.

Date created: 2014-03-26 Name: B. Marks
Location: P, PA

"Shaver Coal furnace built by Weld-Rite"
The furnace was sold as a coal furnace. If it wasn't for the grate system the furnace works as I expected. The grate cannot withstand the hot fires produced by hard coal. The grate I imagine would work well with a wood burn but a coal fire disintegrates it. After several months of requesting a grate that could withstand a coal fire they sent me the same grate. Attempting to rectify this with Weld-Rite Inc was fruitless. Their method of customer service is ignore the complaint. I filed a complaint with the State of Arkansas and after a few months they exhausted their resources trying to have a fair fix. I did appreciate the effort they made. If enough customers complain about this issue the State will have to take it under further investigation. So if you have this same problem don't let them get away with it. As you can see I will not.

Date created: 2014-02-07 Name: Gary Calabrese
Location: CT

"DO NOT BUY a SHAVER !!"
I bought my Shaver in 2008. It sprung a leak. Pours in the ash pan like Niagara falls. I used water treatment continuously. I have gone through 2 grates already, the door never shut correctly since the purchase. You will never get a call back from these guys. I have left numerous messages. Do yourself a favor and do not buy from them. They are crooks!