Consumer Reviews of Shaver wood furnaces

#31  of 32 brands of wood furnaces

Read more about Shaver wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2015-01-22 Name: JoAnne Arnold
Location: Aurora, WV

"Love my furnace"
I've had my furnace since September, 2014 and I love it. I haven't used a tri-axle of wood. I only load it twice a day, morning and night.

Date created: 2014-12-10 Name: Bob Dodd
Location: Martinsburg, WV

"How to improve a Shaver forced air stove"
I have had my Shaver forced air stove for 3 seasons. It works great but I have seen and heard other users ask, how could it work better? I added a fan control on the small blower. Instead of full force under the coals, now I can dial the air speed. It's easy to keep a controlled temperature, the wood last 4 times longer and my house doesn't get too hot. I'm looking into adding a control on the main blower, too. I load the stove once for about 30 hours of burn time.

Date created: 2014-12-04 Name: J Melchert
Location: Litchfield, IL

"P.O.S. Shaver"
I bought this block of metal this year(2014) and I will never recommend this stove or the people that run this business to anyone. I'll put it this way: if I could rate this stove in the negatives, I would! The stove is poorly put together and runs through way too much wood. I have to fill it 3 times a day when it's 30 degrees out. I have to fill it with water once a week. The blower is already going out and I have run the stove for 2 months! The people that I dealt with cannot read a damn tape measure. I called and asked for dimensions on the stove so I could pour concrete before the stove was to arrive. They gave me the wrong measurements, and refused to reimburse me for the concrete and the delivery fee I paid to have the shove placed exactly where it needed to be. It took me multiple phone calls to get through, and once I did they decided to be rude and blame it on me, like it was the paying customers fault! The person I ordered the stove from was a guy named Ben. The manager I talked to was Ray, and once I talked to him about my problems he ran and wouldn't return my calls like a little coward. When I talked to Don and asked to talk to the manager, what I got back was unbelievable. And I quote: "The manager is not in (I just talked to him) and we will not be able to refund your money because it was not our fault. Have a nice day, goodbye", and he hung up! So if you like wasting your money on junk shit, talking to pathetic telephone tough guys, and not having a warm home please buy one of these horrible junk pieces of shit Shaver wood burners! Next year I will spend the money on a Central Boiler!

Date created: 2014-11-26 Name: Gary Harris
Location: Afton, VA

"Good, simple furnace"
I have had my 165 since 2008, heating an old two-story farm house. The thermostat is the only thing that has failed, and it happened in the first month or 2. I emailed Shaver and they sent a new one. In the meantime, I used a hot water heater thermostat I had saved from a water heater replacement. I have had no pump failure or leaks. I do perform the water treatment as recommended. It provides good heat. To me, the biggest drawback is the manually adjusted air control on the blower. When the blower turns off the air can still draft through, based upon where it is adjusted to, sometimes causing the water to boil when the house is using less heat.

Date created: 2014-11-20 Name: Victor G.
Location: KY

"Worst boiler ever"
Stay away from the leaks, wood hog, pump, blower and fitting problems. They say they have a warranty until you try to use it. This is a piece of, well, you know what. The EPA has changed the way all wood-fired stoves, heaters and fireplaces are built this coming year, 2015. So maybe that will weed out the bad companies like Shaver. Shaver has taken over another brand, Natures Comfort, due to their crap and the new EPA guidelines. They got away with selling these pieces of **** so I would stay away from that brand too. They will treat the warranty the same and probably lower the workmanship to save money. I've had my Shaver 165 since 2010 and nothing but problems - two leaks and three pumps went out, and one blower and bad fittings. The flue is on its way out, too, on this thing, due to poor workmanship. Also, after this year, it will be harder to have these older, lower efficiency wood boilers repaired after the middle of 2015.

Date created: 2014-11-17 Name: V. Gilbert
Location: Kentucky

"Terrible quality"
I bought my Shaver 165 in 2010 and heated with it that year. I had leaky fittings from the factory right off the bat. I replaced them myself, so I didn't think it was that big of deal at this point in time. I had a good seller, very nice and helpful. The year I bought it he got cancer, so I didn't bother him with the problems. Then, in the 2011 heating season, the pump went out and the blower, too. Now I'm starting to become unhappy with it. So I replaced them and the rest of the season went okay. I started to notice the tremendous amount of wood I was using, and I only use hardwood. My house is 1400 square feet and insulated very well. I live in Kentucky, so I don't live where it gets below 20 a lot. I'm an HVAC tech, so I can fix most of the problems myself, but I'm still not happy. Then, in the 2012 heating season, the boiler got a leak in the front, about a inch above the door. So I repaired that. The pump went out again. So replaced it again. I should mention I called Shaver, with no help through all these problems. So I took it upon myself to fix them due to that fact that I have young children, one who is disabled. Then, in the 2013 heating season, another leak in the front, about 6 inches to the side of the door. I repaired that. So I removed all the tin around the outside of the boiler and the sides. The steel wasn't protected from rust with paint, so condensation was rusting it. So I sanded and painted it. Then, in the 2014 heating season, the pump was out again. I replaced it. I looked inside the boiler like I do every season, and I noticed the flue pipe, where it doesn't cover, is scaling and rusting away due to condensation and steam. Soon that will need to be replaced. Since I've bought this piece of **** Shaver has redone the design of the water jacket where the water drains out the top of the box. It's not like the older version, where it drains out the side of the boiler about 6 inches from the top, where the steam and condensation happens. This should be a recall, like with vehicles when they have a major problem or fix. The government should step in because this is a major problem with older Shavers from possibly 2012 and back. So the newer version the flue is completely covered in water, preventing the scale and rust as long as you keep the boiler full. They say now, when buying a boiler, that their chemical for the water lasts 5 years instead of having to put chemicals in it every month. It's because of that fix with the drain at the top. I do realize some have bad water that has to be treated all the time even with the fix. but the ones who have pretty good water don't, which does help the customers who bought older version because the flue pipe is going to rust out eventually. The steel they used to make these boilers is poor quality and the fittings are plastic; the pump is low end and the blower is a low end product. The grate inside will warp and spread; it won't fit right after awhile. Bottom line - it has very poor quality material and workmanship. There should be a major recall on the older boilers from 2012 and back to replace them because they didn't come up with a whole new designed boiler. For example, the 165 is exactly the same design, but with the drain fixed due to all the problems it was causing. So they fixed it for future buyers, but that does nothing for us. A recall should be forced by a judge or government. Stay away like the others say.

Date created: 2014-11-11 Name: Dawn B
Location: PA

"Disappointed"
What good is Shaver's 20-year warranty if they don't call you back? I wish I would have seen these reviews first. We bought our stove 4 years ago and it leaks like a sieve. The door is only spot welded. Ray said send us new doors or get it welded, but when we call or email for an update, nothing. No answers, no return calls, no response. Time to call the Better Business Bureau, local Chamber of Commerce and our lawyer.

Date created: 2014-10-14 Name: R.Duncan
Location: MO

"Unsatisfied customer"
I'm very unsatisfied with my Shaver wood furnace. You need to add water daily, there is condensation everywhere, it uses more wood than any other wood furnaces in my area, and it has a low heat exchange. I would not wish this stove on anyone. Stay away from these furnaces, is my advice.

Date created: 2014-10-10 Name: Dale Hart
Location: Upstate New York

"Absolute junk"
Last year with this pos. It has been a nightmare since we bought it 8 years ago. We could have bought another decent furnace with the money we've put into it. Heat output sucked, too.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: John Mcalister
Location: Southern Indiana

"Run from Shaver"
I bought mine 7 years ago and it's been a nightmare since day one. If you have one of these, then you know about the crappy door over the roll of copper tube, the dime store thermostat, the poor workmanship throughout, and the fact that the flue pipe sticks out of the water in the water jacket, meaning it will rust completely through. I did have a couple of fair to good heat seasons after finding a forum with lots of good advice to help fix these turds. Billy in Arkansas and good ole Ben in North Carolina (you know them unless you went through a dealer) were right when they told me these are simple and easy to work on because that is life with Shaver. I did meet Billy in person, he's quite the salesman. What is worse, I bought 3 of these landmines. One for myself, one for a close friend and, as it turned out, one for my youngest son. I feel sad to know that their Shaver masterpieces are a ticking time bombs waiting to blow up. If you own one please inspect it as best you can, but sadly, the places where these things rust are impossible to inspect. I intend to cut the firebox (the only good thing about them) out of its rust bucket water jacket and put it in a section of a 1000 gallon propane tank, 3/8 thick. Once again, run - do not walk - from anyone trying to sell you one of these poor imitations of a wood boiler.