Consumer Reviews of Shaver wood furnaces

#31  of 33 brands of wood furnaces

Read more about Shaver wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2015-01-22 Name: JoAnne Arnold
Location: Aurora, WV

"Love my furnace"
I've had my furnace since September, 2014 and I love it. I haven't used a tri-axle of wood. I only load it twice a day, morning and night.

Date created: 2014-12-10 Name: Bob Dodd
Location: Martinsburg, WV

"How to improve a Shaver forced air stove"
I have had my Shaver forced air stove for 3 seasons. It works great but I have seen and heard other users ask, how could it work better? I added a fan control on the small blower. Instead of full force under the coals, now I can dial the air speed. It's easy to keep a controlled temperature, the wood last 4 times longer and my house doesn't get too hot. I'm looking into adding a control on the main blower, too. I load the stove once for about 30 hours of burn time.

Date created: 2014-12-04 Name: J Melchert
Location: Litchfield, IL

"P.O.S. Shaver"
I bought this block of metal this year(2014) and I will never recommend this stove or the people that run this business to anyone. I'll put it this way: if I could rate this stove in the negatives, I would! The stove is poorly put together and runs through way too much wood. I have to fill it 3 times a day when it's 30 degrees out. I have to fill it with water once a week. The blower is already going out and I have run the stove for 2 months! The people that I dealt with cannot read a damn tape measure. I called and asked for dimensions on the stove so I could pour concrete before the stove was to arrive. They gave me the wrong measurements, and refused to reimburse me for the concrete and the delivery fee I paid to have the shove placed exactly where it needed to be. It took me multiple phone calls to get through, and once I did they decided to be rude and blame it on me, like it was the paying customers fault! The person I ordered the stove from was a guy named Ben. The manager I talked to was Ray, and once I talked to him about my problems he ran and wouldn't return my calls like a little coward. When I talked to Don and asked to talk to the manager, what I got back was unbelievable. And I quote: "The manager is not in (I just talked to him) and we will not be able to refund your money because it was not our fault. Have a nice day, goodbye", and he hung up! So if you like wasting your money on junk shit, talking to pathetic telephone tough guys, and not having a warm home please buy one of these horrible junk pieces of shit Shaver wood burners! Next year I will spend the money on a Central Boiler!

Date created: 2014-11-26 Name: Gary Harris
Location: Afton, VA

"Good, simple furnace"
I have had my 165 since 2008, heating an old two-story farm house. The thermostat is the only thing that has failed, and it happened in the first month or 2. I emailed Shaver and they sent a new one. In the meantime, I used a hot water heater thermostat I had saved from a water heater replacement. I have had no pump failure or leaks. I do perform the water treatment as recommended. It provides good heat. To me, the biggest drawback is the manually adjusted air control on the blower. When the blower turns off the air can still draft through, based upon where it is adjusted to, sometimes causing the water to boil when the house is using less heat. UPDATE: 7/9/16 I wrote a review about 2 years ago that now I'm ready to lower. I have had the 165 in use since fall of 2008 with no big issues, but in the middle of the 2015/2016 heating season a leak showed up. I finished out the heating season and then addressed where it was coming from. What I found was 2 different areas - one was in a weld seam at the bottom right side that is so small it could have been leaking from the start and not have been noticed. The one that made me realize there was a problem on the bottom of the water tank. I had used the water treatment recommended and flushed the water side out and retreated as recommended by chemical testing company but I think the design is the issue. The drains are not right on the bottom so you can never really flush it like needed. So I believe after 7 years enough sediment was able to deteriorate this area. The water tank is not made from the same thickness of metal as the firebox, too bad and if there was a true bottom drain my problem and I'm sure others would would not have developed for many years. I tried to call Shaver by the # with my paper work, no answer. I went to a website that seems like it was Shaver and spoke to a guy named Randy, who once I said I was calling about the warranty of my Shaver he said " Oh they went out of business recently". It did provide good heat while working but used a lot of wood.

Date created: 2014-11-11 Name: Dawn B
Location: PA

"Disappointed"
What good is Shaver's 20-year warranty if they don't call you back? I wish I would have seen these reviews first. We bought our stove 4 years ago and it leaks like a sieve. The door is only spot welded. Ray said send us new doors or get it welded, but when we call or email for an update, nothing. No answers, no return calls, no response. Time to call the Better Business Bureau, local Chamber of Commerce and our lawyer.

Date created: 2014-10-14 Name: R.Duncan
Location: MO

"Unsatisfied customer"
I'm very unsatisfied with my Shaver wood furnace. You need to add water daily, there is condensation everywhere, it uses more wood than any other wood furnaces in my area, and it has a low heat exchange. I would not wish this stove on anyone. Stay away from these furnaces, is my advice.

Date created: 2014-10-10 Name: Dale Hart
Location: Upstate New York

"Absolute junk"
Last year with this pos. It has been a nightmare since we bought it 8 years ago. We could have bought another decent furnace with the money we've put into it. Heat output sucked, too.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: John Mcalister
Location: Southern Indiana

"Run from Shaver"
I bought mine 7 years ago and it's been a nightmare since day one. If you have one of these, then you know about the crappy door over the roll of copper tube, the dime store thermostat, the poor workmanship throughout, and the fact that the flue pipe sticks out of the water in the water jacket, meaning it will rust completely through. I did have a couple of fair to good heat seasons after finding a forum with lots of good advice to help fix these turds. Billy in Arkansas and good ole Ben in North Carolina (you know them unless you went through a dealer) were right when they told me these are simple and easy to work on because that is life with Shaver. I did meet Billy in person, he's quite the salesman. What is worse, I bought 3 of these landmines. One for myself, one for a close friend and, as it turned out, one for my youngest son. I feel sad to know that their Shaver masterpieces are a ticking time bombs waiting to blow up. If you own one please inspect it as best you can, but sadly, the places where these things rust are impossible to inspect. I intend to cut the firebox (the only good thing about them) out of its rust bucket water jacket and put it in a section of a 1000 gallon propane tank, 3/8 thick. Once again, run - do not walk - from anyone trying to sell you one of these poor imitations of a wood boiler.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: Susie McClintock
Location: Jerseyville, IL

"Satisfied customer"
We bought our wood stove furnace around 2011 and we love our stove. We use our stove all year round; we keep it going for the water. Our service man is the greatest, Greg Steinacher. He is always there to answer any questions we may have and he ensures we get the best use out of our furnace. We were on propane, and we have already saved our money back, plus more. I would recommend this furnace to anyone who would want wood heat. We absolutely love ours and wouldn't go without one.

Date created: 2014-09-27 Name: Gary G.
Location: Rector, AR

"Shaver wood furnace"
I bought the furnace in 2009 and had a problem with the blower and thermostat right off the bat. Now I have a leak. I called; no answer called for several days. Finally drove 3 hours to talk to them and found the factory with gates chained and locked up. They are no longer making them there, but I did get to talk to Ray. They wanted me to bring them the furnace. I went back home, and later tried to call to set time up for them to come get it. Guess what? No answer. These people are crooks and I would not recommend anyone to deal with them. I fixed my stove myself. They are trying to sell some kind of solar heating system now. Stay away, if you know what is good for you. If you ever do get to talk to, or email them, they just give you the run around. Sorry bunch.