Consumer Reviews of Pro-Fab Industries wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2017-01-02 Name: Robert
Location: Maryland

"Junk stove."
This has been the biggest waste of money. I feel sorry for all the people who have bought this stove like my self. Let's start with stove #1. The first year was great, it did everything that I hoped. Was heating my house, my hot water and shop with very little wood. The second year the problems started. First fire bricks braking and then a leak. Had the stove replaced under warranty with a refurbished stove after a long process of dealing with Profab. I thought I was good to go but I was wrong. After the first year of the second stove more brick problems. I replaced them myself. Not covered by warranty - I still don't understand stand why. Now the second year of this stove a leak occurred in the fire box. After finding out that Profab had gone out of business I knew I was S.O.L. So I welded two patches on the inside of the fire box. As of now January 2, 2017 no leaks yet but I know that more will follow. What a complete waste of time and money. If it makes it to Spring I plan to build a new fire box. I can't believe a company could leave so many people hanging thinking that they would be taken care of with the 10-20 year warranty that they offered. Thanks, Profab, for nothing.

Date created: 2016-12-21 Name: Brian
Location: Ontario

"Pffft"
Good stove. Heats two houses (forced air/ in floor heat) and 50x80 shop (in floor). Have owned for 6-7 years. No issues other than blower fans (2 per winter the norm). Burns about 100 cord in southwest Ontario winter. Maybe 5 split (to get blocks going). Yeah, it's a lot of wood but could you heat that shop alone for less? It's 25 in there at all times... We stay warm with our Empyre.

Date created: 2016-11-12 Name: Steph
Location: Quebec

"Empyre Elite 200"
Bad service ! Worked well for one year! Sent 10 emails but no answer! Not easy to clean, I brushed it last year. No answer for test sample! No support after you pay!

Date created: 2016-09-25 Name: John
Location: Pennsylvania

"Empyre Elite XT 200"
Worked great for the first year and burned half the wood that traditional wood boilers would, friends and family were jealous about how much less wood I used...then the problems started the second year. First it was fire bricks falling apart, then the blower, and finally water leaks. I replaced the bricks with the warranty recall ones and they still fell apart just as fast as the first ones. Replaced the blower which was not under warranty. I patched holes in the fire wall the third year several times and now going into the fourth year the entire fire wall, a couple tubes and the chimney box are all rotted through. It saves time and money on fire wood but after 3 years it is now scrap metal. Do not buy one!

Date created: 2016-07-29 Name: JOHN KILLEN
Location: South Central Kentucky

"Profab 175"
Nothing but problems: from crappy fans made in Mexico, to design problems associated with same, to several leaks in fire tubes. Ran fairly well for a year, then a leak developed. Called Profab and they wished me luck, not their problem and no solution given. Repaired leak to have a second develop in the same place in another tube and repaired same, only to have a 3rd develop in the same place in another tube. Unfortunately I purchased another boiler prior to the leak issue started as I would not purchase another nor would I recommend anyone else purchase another...basically 15 thousand dollars of crap metal. It worked well when it was working! Also near impossible to clean properly in the vertical tubes. All parts are overpriced as I purchased a few thousand dollars worth of this crap to have on hand in case of failure. I never figured the stove tubes would start to rot in slightly over a year, and I did treat the water with boiler additive. Never buy this crap.

Date created: 2016-07-19 Name: Richard Wolfrath
Location: Wisconsin

"Model 450"
Have had only several electrical problems which I consider normal for the time of usage. I have burned all types of wood products including skids. It heats my house, garage, and 30' by 50' shop. The box that the chimney sits on has a clean out and is getting pretty bad. But after 10 years of a lot of use I would expect that. I am very satisfied with this product.

Date created: 2016-02-25 Name: Chad
Location: Venus, PA

"Expensive garbage!"
Bought a new Cozeburn 450 shaker grate (Pro Fab Industries) in 2009. In 2012, the chimney cleanout was rotted to the point that the chimney was at risk of falling through. Now this year (2016) the inside of the firebox door has rotted to the point that the steel which holds the insulation panels in place is ready to fall off. Tried going through Pro Fab's warranty department and got nowhere, but they were happy to charge me $460.00 for a new door. Junk, junk, junk.

Date created: 2016-01-26 Name: D. Parker
Location: Lowell, MI

Worst stove ever! We have the Profab Elite 100. We have owned this stove for 4 years, here is the list of things we have had to replace: the door because the latch broke off, the fire brick because it fell apart and a huge hole developed, the blower because the bearings went out, we actually got a new stove under warranty because it developed a massive leak in the gasification tubes. Now we are trying to get it replaced again because there is a massive leak in the fire box and we can't use it at all! Customer service is the worst and they told us we could buy an upgrade for $1900.00, after I have already given them $7600 4 years ago. Won't return phone calls, the dealer we bought it from won't return phone calls, so here we sit with a $7600.00 piece of crap! Do not buy one of these stoves!

Date created: 2015-05-21 Name: Nelson Nash
Location: Barrington, NH

"Pro 200"
After 2 years of use, the door failed on the top where the pin rides to close the top plate. After contacting Profab I was told to take the door to a welding shop to have it repaired, even though there is an updated door available.Why do they expect the customer to repair an obvious design flaw? It seems they do not stand behind their products. The dealer I purchased it from does not respond to any form of communication. So bottom line is, beware when purchasing a wood boiler. I wish I had done more research before getting this boiler.

Date created: 2015-03-20 Name: Matthew Cassina
Location: Burlington, CT

"Absolute Junk"
I purchased an Empyre 200 from Long Pond Hearth and Spa in Wauregan, ct in Dec 2011. Since then this stove has never performed as I was told it would buy the dealer. My heating needs never changed. I was told this stove should have no issues heating a 1200 sq ft barn (radiant) and a 2300 sq ft house (forced hot air). According to their site it should be good up to 4000 sq ft. Well they don't tell you that you have to load it every 4-5 hours when the temps get below freezing. Lets just say I lost a lot of sleep over this. Since day one the stove never was able to handle my heating needs as advertized. During this time I realized there are some serious engineering flaws. It is very difficult to clean and needs to be done every 3-4 weeks. I only burn hardwoods, no junk either. This year actually had to cut and re-weld parts to gain access to areas to be cleaned. This past winter I developed a leak and because of the way it is built and engineered it is impossible to get to for repairs. The unit will require major surgery to fix. As a welder and fabricator, this is very frustrating. Thankfully the leak I have is high enough in the reservoir where I can still run the pump to the radiant heat in the barn so it doesn't freeze this winter. As for the house well since I installed this stove I have used approx $3500 in fuel. So you tell me where the cost savings is? I tried on multiple occasions to come to a fair agreement to replace this unit and they want nothing to do with me. Therefore I have been left with no choice but to contact my attorney and discuss my options. I am in the process of trying to sell my home and this unit was supposed to be an asset to the property, it is now a huge liability and it will cost me big time to replace. Profab will not stand behind their product, to the tune where Long Pond has stated this and is no longer a dealer for them. I will never buy a product from Profab again. Their units may be better now but because they won't back up their earlier products. As a business owner myself I would never let a customer have to deal with it. I have always gone out of my way to make sure the customer is satisfied.