Consumer Reviews of Profab wood furnaces

#29  of 33 brands of wood furnaces

Read more about Profab wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2016-11-12 Name: Steph
Location: Quebec

"Empyre Elite 200"
Bad service ! Worked well for one year! Sent 10 emails but no answer! Not easy to clean, I brushed it last year. No answer for test sample! No support after you pay!

Date created: 2016-09-25 Name: John
Location: Pennsylvania

"Empyre Elite XT 200"
Worked great for the first year and burned half the wood that traditional wood boilers would, friends and family were jealous about how much less wood I used...then the problems started the second year. First it was fire bricks falling apart, then the blower, and finally water leaks. I replaced the bricks with the warranty recall ones and they still fell apart just as fast as the first ones. Replaced the blower which was not under warranty. I patched holes in the fire wall the third year several times and now going into the fourth year the entire fire wall, a couple tubes and the chimney box are all rotted through. It saves time and money on fire wood but after 3 years it is now scrap metal. Do not buy one!

Date created: 2016-07-29 Name: JOHN KILLEN
Location: South Central Kentucky

"Profab 175"
Nothing but problems: from crappy fans made in Mexico, to design problems associated with same, to several leaks in fire tubes. Ran fairly well for a year, then a leak developed. Called Profab and they wished me luck, not their problem and no solution given. Repaired leak to have a second develop in the same place in another tube and repaired same, only to have a 3rd develop in the same place in another tube. Unfortunately I purchased another boiler prior to the leak issue started as I would not purchase another nor would I recommend anyone else purchase another...basically 15 thousand dollars of crap metal. It worked well when it was working! Also near impossible to clean properly in the vertical tubes. All parts are overpriced as I purchased a few thousand dollars worth of this crap to have on hand in case of failure. I never figured the stove tubes would start to rot in slightly over a year, and I did treat the water with boiler additive. Never buy this crap.

Date created: 2016-07-19 Name: Richard Wolfrath
Location: Wisconsin

"Model 450"
Have had only several electrical problems which I consider normal for the time of usage. I have burned all types of wood products including skids. It heats my house, garage, and 30' by 50' shop. The box that the chimney sits on has a clean out and is getting pretty bad. But after 10 years of a lot of use I would expect that. I am very satisfied with this product.

Date created: 2016-02-25 Name: Chad
Location: Venus, PA

"Expensive garbage!"
Bought a new Cozeburn 450 shaker grate (Pro Fab Industries) in 2009. In 2012, the chimney cleanout was rotted to the point that the chimney was at risk of falling through. Now this year (2016) the inside of the firebox door has rotted to the point that the steel which holds the insulation panels in place is ready to fall off. Tried going through Pro Fab's warranty department and got nowhere, but they were happy to charge me $460.00 for a new door. Junk, junk, junk.

Date created: 2016-01-26 Name: D. Parker
Location: Lowell, MI

Worst stove ever! We have the Profab Elite 100. We have owned this stove for 4 years, here is the list of things we have had to replace: the door because the latch broke off, the fire brick because it fell apart and a huge hole developed, the blower because the bearings went out, we actually got a new stove under warranty because it developed a massive leak in the gasification tubes. Now we are trying to get it replaced again because there is a massive leak in the fire box and we can't use it at all! Customer service is the worst and they told us we could buy an upgrade for $1900.00, after I have already given them $7600 4 years ago. Won't return phone calls, the dealer we bought it from won't return phone calls, so here we sit with a $7600.00 piece of crap! Do not buy one of these stoves!

Date created: 2015-05-21 Name: Nelson Nash
Location: Barrington, NH

"Pro 200"
After 2 years of use, the door failed on the top where the pin rides to close the top plate. After contacting Profab I was told to take the door to a welding shop to have it repaired, even though there is an updated door available.Why do they expect the customer to repair an obvious design flaw? It seems they do not stand behind their products. The dealer I purchased it from does not respond to any form of communication. So bottom line is, beware when purchasing a wood boiler. I wish I had done more research before getting this boiler.

Date created: 2015-03-20 Name: Matthew Cassina
Location: Burlington, CT

"Absolute Junk"
I purchased an Empyre 200 from Long Pond Hearth and Spa in Wauregan, ct in Dec 2011. Since then this stove has never performed as I was told it would buy the dealer. My heating needs never changed. I was told this stove should have no issues heating a 1200 sq ft barn (radiant) and a 2300 sq ft house (forced hot air). According to their site it should be good up to 4000 sq ft. Well they don't tell you that you have to load it every 4-5 hours when the temps get below freezing. Lets just say I lost a lot of sleep over this. Since day one the stove never was able to handle my heating needs as advertized. During this time I realized there are some serious engineering flaws. It is very difficult to clean and needs to be done every 3-4 weeks. I only burn hardwoods, no junk either. This year actually had to cut and re-weld parts to gain access to areas to be cleaned. This past winter I developed a leak and because of the way it is built and engineered it is impossible to get to for repairs. The unit will require major surgery to fix. As a welder and fabricator, this is very frustrating. Thankfully the leak I have is high enough in the reservoir where I can still run the pump to the radiant heat in the barn so it doesn't freeze this winter. As for the house well since I installed this stove I have used approx $3500 in fuel. So you tell me where the cost savings is? I tried on multiple occasions to come to a fair agreement to replace this unit and they want nothing to do with me. Therefore I have been left with no choice but to contact my attorney and discuss my options. I am in the process of trying to sell my home and this unit was supposed to be an asset to the property, it is now a huge liability and it will cost me big time to replace. Profab will not stand behind their product, to the tune where Long Pond has stated this and is no longer a dealer for them. I will never buy a product from Profab again. Their units may be better now but because they won't back up their earlier products. As a business owner myself I would never let a customer have to deal with it. I have always gone out of my way to make sure the customer is satisfied.

Date created: 2013-02-21 Name: bruce w. thurston
Location: Southern Ontario

"Lots of Problems"
I am still having problems with my ecb200a furnace Serial no. e2a000005 built October 2007. This unit was sold to me and installed by a dealer in December 2007. The dealer left his position with sales and service of these stoves about a month after we bought it. This furnace has been repaired 4 times now for leaks in the firebox (3 times) and 1 tube leak which I was able to repair myself. It lost all of its water on February 7, 2013 and I cannot see where the leak is nor can my repairman. In the fall 2011, Sam Zehr from Morningdale plumbing (519-577-5942) examined the furnace and was able to have it repaired so that it was operable over last year’s burning season, as it is utilized only during the cold months. When this stove was installed the proper water treatment was put in but Mr. dealer did no water test and no instructions as to the proper use and care were given although the appropriate water levels were maintained. From looking at their website they do not even offer this unit for sale anymore which makes me think that they recognised that it had problems. In talking with other furnace manufacturers (as I am looking for a replacement) more than a few have heard of this problem with the Empyre(profab) ecb units burning out. I have had problems with the air blower, having replaced 2 blower motors. The air channel plugged up with hard crystalline deposit which required taking the blower off and trying to clear the air channel which I have had to do on several occasions. The air channels inside the furnace, especially the vertical one at the back, is almost impossible to clean out as it plugs up. When I took possession of my furnace they included a gismo that you attached to a plastic rod and were to use a drill to clean the tubes which turned out to be quite useless. I fashioned a tube cleaner which I used to clean the horizontal tubes and the vertical ones were very difficult to clean. When the stove was working it worked quite well but I do not have much confidence in this unit now and question what Profab will do for me to rectify these problems. The furnace has been used for just over five years and should have been operational for a much longer period which does not speak well of their product. Regards Bruce W. Thurston (519-740-6220)

Date created: 2012-07-20 Location: Cookeville, TN

"A Great Outdoor Furnace for My Hot Water Heating Needs"
I absolutely love my pro-Fab Industries outdoor wood furnace. I have owned this furnace for about six months and use it daily. I really love the furnace's steel look, which has a nicer aesthetic appeal than some other furnaces I checked on before buying this one. As of now, I have no complaints about this product. I have never needed to have the unit replaced or repaired. I have friends who have had this furnace much longer than I have, and they always comment on the furnace's durability. I mainly use this furnace to heat hot water and for radiant heating. This furnace is very useful for my home, as it allows me an alternative way to get hot water, as well as heat my home. This was my first outdoor furnace purchase, and overall the experience has been very positive. I plan on using my great new furnace for many years to come, and I look forward to using an outdoor wood furnace for the rest of my life.