Consumer Reviews of Portage and Main wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2019-06-15 Name: Nathan m
Location: Dubuque, IA

"BL 28-40"
I've owned the bl2840 for four seasons. I bought this outdoor wood furnace when Lp was over 3 dollars a gallon and a year or record snow and cold, while only keeping the thermostat only at 68. Since then the house stays at a comfortable 74. I also heat hot water and a three car garage. The bl-40 was not the biggest model to choose from at the time. After talking with the folks from Portage and Main. They sized the boiler to the heat load saving me money and wood. The features I like about bl 2840 are the sleek design the amply sized doors and the heat exchanger along with the refractory brick used inside.

Date created: 2019-06-07 Name: Diver
Location: Ontario

"Very impressed with my portage and main boiler"
In the fall of 2016, I had to replace my old leaking boiler so I researched many different brands with simplified design and cost friendly shaker grate boiler from portage and main I made my decision and ordered it shipping was easy and well organized I installed the boiler in an evening and had a fire on that night. Heating 2000 square feet burning 15-20 face cord of wood I cannot complain was over 30 cord with my old boiler thank you guys so much for the great customer service and standing behind your product.
Date created: 2019-05-29 Name: Joseph starr
Location: Benton, PA

"Perfect for smaller house"
Works great for 1400 square-foot house or smaller. Like the option you can burn the wood or coal
Date created: 2019-05-24 Name: T & C Staples
Location: Nova Scotia

"Well made."
We purchased the Ultimizer bl2840 6 years ago and we are very pleased. With 2 teenagers taking long showers the furnace has been working great! All the mess is outdoors. It is nice not to hear the oil furnace come on all winter long. Especially with the price of furnace oil that goes up in the winter. Oh, the money you will save. The customer service is great too!
Date created: 2019-05-06 Name: Connie D
Location: Ontario

"Portage & Main BL 2840"
We have been heating our home, garage, workshop and hot water with this model of Portage & Main Outdoor wood boiler for 3 winters now and couldn't be happier with the results! We always have a steady even heat - unless one of us forgets to feed the animal - which we find even and non-irritating to our respiratory tract, unlike oil and propane. I especially appreciate the 'clean' aspect this type of wood heating system offers - no mess, dust or bugs inside, it all stays outside where it belongs. The smell of smoke lingering in the air on a cold winter's night makes me feel cozy in my castle, and the scenery I get to view on a regular basis of my handsome husband preparing and stacking our wood supply is a pretty nice bonus! We recommend Portage and Main wood heaters to everyone we meet who is in the market for this type of heating system. The reputation of quality and service is what attracted us to this company in the first place and is what will keep us there for a long time to come. ∑
Date created: 2019-05-02 Name: J. Bruner
Location: Flaherty, KY

"BL-2840 Review"
I am in my fourth year operating Portage and Main's bl28-40. Currently I am heating a 34 x 50 shop and 2000 plus sq ft home. Weather in ky has not been, letís say severe, but so far the bl series has no problem heating both buildings. I have radiant heat in both and absolutely cannot say enough about the Portage and Main bl series. Design, Functionality and simplicity are just a few words that come to mind when someone asks me about my boiler. I have shown and sold a few out of state visitors on the bl series with no sales on my part. The product sold itself. I'd be happy to show anyone my setup. The only thing I would change if I had to do over would be to install a wood boiler 20 years ago. Keep manufacturing a great product. Best Regards, J.Bruner
Date created: 2019-04-25 Name: R. Jeffinson
Location: Canada

"Thank you Portage & Main"
We use a bl28-40 wood burning model. Absolutely love it. Saved lots on the cost of wood over the last 3 years. Easy to use. Would recommend.
Date created: 2018-12-29 Name: Andrew
Location: US

"Would NEVER recommend a p and m boiler the company doesn't stand behind their product"
I purchased an egr 250 from the owner of Portage and main, under the impression I would have dealers and a network or help should there be a problem. So my unit doesn't gasify correctly and we burn a cord of wood a week. The unit came with parts missing, it had a faulty fill gauge that resulted in a loss of 700 In glycol, we had to keep the warranty. The owner of the company admitted there was something wrong and they would take the stove back. He then changed his mind and told us it would cost too much money for them to make it right. Stay away from portage and main.
Date created: 2018-11-29 Name: Bryan Grice
Location: Warsaw, NY

"Efficiency"
This is our 3rd season with our egr250. The efficiency and ease of use with our stove are awesome. Brian Martin and his team at heat smart plus were great to work with during purchasing, delivery and setting up the stove. Brian still continues to stay in contact with us. We are able to heat our 2200sqft old farmhouse and our hot water with 12 face cord a year. I recommend portage and main to my family and friends. I look forward to many more years of heating with my EGR 250.
Date created: 2018-09-06 Name: luke krueger
Location: Minnesota

"Buyers beware (no warranty)"
I was a dealer and sold a couple hundred of these. Very efficient, but the distributor is a crook. Have had 3 in last year, 4-5 yr old units well within warranty, yet they won't cover anything. Ultimizers rot out from the brick seam where 2 halves bolt together. Buy a 409ss unit. And make sure the company honors their warranty. You don't want to be told to ship your unit to Canada just to later hear: no coverage.