Consumer Reviews of Mahoning wood furnaces

#3  of 33 brands of wood furnaces

Read more about Mahoning wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2016-01-30 Name: Up
Location: Garrett County, MD

"Great unit"
Great unit. I heat a 2,000 square foot home and domestic hot water in the winter and a 15,000 gallon swimming pool in the summer. I burn wood and coal when the temperature is below 32 degrees and only wood when temperatures are above 32 degrees. I never have any trouble keeping my home warm now and have all of the hot water I can use. I completed the installation is about two weeks in my free time. Everything is prewired and the only connection needed is as simple as wiring a plug. Up to this point I had never worked with PEX pipe so I was a little apprehensive but after a few connections I will have a hard time going back to anything else. The dealer I bought the boiler from recommended a 6" sewer pipe to run my PEX in and it worked great. I measured my run from the boiler pad to the inside boiler room and added 6' of extra PEX for each connection. I used two 1" lines, two 3/4" lines, a 1/2" line, and a 1/4" pull rope. I then wrapped the five lines and rope in a silver bubble wrap then finished with duct tape. I have had people tell me that when it snows they have a bare spot where the lines are run under ground. I do not have that problem so I assume that the insulation is working good. I have about a 100' run to the house and experience about a 8 degree heat loss in that distance. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner.

Date created: 2015-08-26 Name: C Stine
Location: Skook, PA

"10 years going strong"
I have a 10 year old Mahoning 200 that heats a 2800 square foot house in central Pennsylvania. It uses plenty of wood when very cold, but heats all our hot water year round with little wood in warm months. When coupled with an indirect fired hot water heater you will not run out of hot water. The only thing I have replaced is a the blower fan in the back and it was an easy swap for a do-it-yourself handyman. No complaints to speak of other than the amount of wood they require. They are simply designed, and seem built to last. I would buy from Mahoning again.

Date created: 2012-04-11 Location: Middleburg, PA

"Best investement we ever made!"
We are on the third winter of using our outdoor woodstove. I love the fact that all the mess is outside, no more inside burning. We only have to fill it twice a day when its below 30, once when its nicer out. We can have the house really warm and it just uses a little more wood. Much less expensive than oil or gas. The only thing I don't like is you have to have someone tend to it if you go away in the winter. But that's easily fixed if you get the wood to oil converter, which will switch over and burn oil if you are away. We have only had to have one minor repair on it which was a fuse in the box because lightning struck it during a bad thunderstorm one time. It is about due for a new rope around the door to keep it sealed, smoke is starting to seep out through the door every so often. I would definitely recommend this brand to a friend. If I was starting over I would definitely buy this brand again.