Consumer Reviews of Hawken Energy wood furnaces

Read more about Hawken Energy wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2015-04-21 Name: M P FALK
Location: Rome, NY

"GX10 the nightmare continues"
I was sold this unit in June of 2012. It was intended to heat my 1950 square foot home; heat, domestic hot water, our 30,000 gallon in-ground pool, and a 12x30 tack room in the horse barn. The Hawken dealer said it was perfect for the job. Since this firm had performed two large hvac projects at our business I never thought to question them. The unit was never able to meet the demand, simplu not enough BYU'S. Nearly three years later we are finally getting our day in court. Neither the dealer nor Hawken would simply admit that I was sold the wrong product for the job intended. Going for triple damages since they have been so difficult; I will let you know in 2 weeks how it pans out.

Date created: 2015-03-30 Name: Patrick Ware
Location: Hesperia, MI

"Doesn't uphold warranty"
I have had my stove for less than 5 years. I developed a leak in the system. I was told to empty the stove and take pictures, which I did. Right away Rich in technical support started right off telling me my warranty was void do to water samples. He didn't show all of them, then he told me I didn't maintain my ash good enough, all before he knew where it was leaking from. He then had me refill the stove and find the leak. It's in the top of the stove, in the water jacket. Ash didn't cause that. They then sent out the repair guy and he said it wasn't caused by our error, it failed prematurely. Now they want me to pay for the repairs and say the stove only has a couple years life left in it, what happened to the 20-year guarantee? They look for every reason they can to not warranty their product. I have had cheap stoves last longer then 5 years. I will probably seek a lawyer because at this point I have a ten thousand dollar boat anchor. I will not recommend to anyone and I only live 15 minutes from the company.

Date created: 2015-03-18 Name: D. Smith
Location: Emmett, MI

"Hawken's GX10"
I installed the GX10 in April of 2013. I fired it up in late May to heat my hot water. It works very well and we never run out of hot water. This is our first winter heating our 1600 square foot home and 1600 square foot basement. We had the heat set at 75 and it was never cold. The only thing you need to do is clean the wood burner every week. It does get a lot of dust in the tubs. If you keep it clean it will heat your water fast. Ours turns on at 170 and off at 180. Only need to load wood in the morning and it's good to the next morning. I've only used about 6 face cords to do all of this for about 10 months. I've used zero gallons of propane for heat or hot water.

Date created: 2015-03-17 Name: B Pontzloff
Location: Waupaca, WI

"Love it"
I live in central Wisconsin and paid over $3500 in propane last year. I studied outdoor wood furnaces before I decided to purchase a Hawken. I am glad I did. I love my unit. I work 12-hour shifts and I have an hour drive time to and from work. The burn time of my furnace is around 16 to 17 hours when it's near zero and around 24 hours when it's near 30. I burn only oak and do not split it if I can lift it. I think that is key. People have a tendency to split their wood too small and it just burns to fast. It's been in the 50's lately and the burn time has been like 50 hours or better. I am heating a 2000 square foot log home and it has no problem keeping the house 73 degrees all winter. It is the middle of March and I have not even burned 4 cord yet. I read people burn a lot of wood and just want to tell them, quit splitting your wood. I have a 30 by 50 pole building. Next year I am also going to heat my 30 by 50 pole building with my unit and I believe the unit will heat both with no problem. Love my Hawken.

Date created: 2015-03-01 Name: A. Carter
Location: Indiana

"Hawken's GX10"
I am on my 4th year with a gx10 in central Indiana. The first year was dismal; burned too much wood, smoking badly, no heat. I found out that I was not cleaning the unit often enough. Once a month or every other month is way too long to go with a gx10. At the end of the first year, most of the tubes were clogged and it took a representative from Hawken and I approximately 6 hours to clean out the unit. He was here on a free upgrade to my unit. Since then, I have cleaned it out every 2-3 weeks during the heating season and have had no problems. You must burn only dry wood in the gx10 and must keep it clean. I now have a regular kit put together and the cleaning process is down to about 30 minutes. I am heating 4200 square feet of log home and saving about $1000 a year on heating costs.

Date created: 2015-02-21 Name: Anthony Olseski
Location: Coatesville, PA

"Great move"
I purchased an HE-2100 in the spring of 2009. It keeps a house of 1900 square feet at 68 degrees. As of now, I'm running a 1500 watt electric heater to supplement, due to minus 6 degrees temperatures outside. I run the water pump 365 days. Replaced it last summer due to the hours on it. I will keep it as a spare. Nice unit.

Date created: 2015-01-04 Name: Tim B
Location: Mid Michigan

"Hawken HE-2100"
After having an indoor forced air wood burning furnace in use for the last four years, and after having to bring the wood into the house and have all the fine particulate ash and smell in the house, I plunged into the outdoor wood furnace/boiler arena. I looked at several major brands, and after months of poking and talking to others and reviewing websites and forums I decided on a Hawken Energy HE-2100. This unit is easy to operate and we have all the heat we need and then some for our 2800 square foot home. Plus, we use a plate heat exchanger to heat our domestic hot water, which has yet to run out even with two teenagers, laundry and dishes all happening consecutively. I bought a unit bigger than my house needs so I can eventually heat a pole barn when that gets built. I also like that, for me, the unit is made in my home state so should warranty work ever be needed during the 20-year warranty period, the manufacturer is close by.

Date created: 2014-11-03 Name: kevin nichols
Location: Maine

I purchased my Hawken GX10 in March. I didn't receive it until August. The dealer sent a guy to hook it up and all the fittings leaked. He said he doesn't believe in plumber's tape. Upon first starting it up, the sensor was bad and indicated a low water level. That was replaced. I have run the stove for a month now and gone through an entire cord of wood, and the outside temperature hasn't hit below 40 degrees. I found out that a firebrick in the back had shifted, causing fire to melt the insulation and gasket in the back of the burn box, which then melted my circulator pump and electrical wires in the back of the unit. I have a brush stuck in the gas chambers. My house will not heat above 70 degrees (keep in mind it's still 40 degrees outside) and I can not go longer than 8 hours on a full stove. I hate this unit.

Date created: 2014-09-30 Name: J Miller
Location: Indiana

"Good burner"
Purchased my HE-2100 last fall. No problems, except for some of the caulking peeling up. Heated my large home nicely and didn't use a ton of wood. It was the coldest winter in eighty years, and we only burned 12 ricks of wood and kept my house 78 degrees all winter and had more hot water than could ever be used. I will begin burning in the next few days. The only people around here that don't like a good outdoor wood burner are the electric companies!

Date created: 2014-09-17 Name: Ron England
Location: Moscow, PA

"Buy something else, anything else, from anybody but Hawken"
This unit started out great and within a month turned horribly bad. First, it is prone - and I mean seriously prone - to getting clogged with creosote. The heat exchanging tubes are small in diameter, which allows for the creosote to build up quickly. Cleaning with the provided tools is next to impossible. Second, the customer service is just about non- existent. I called many times, looking for direction on why it wasn't working, and would get a short answer, usually amounting to gee, we've never heard that (even though there are a lot of reviews saying the same thing). At one point they sent me new bricks to expand the air opening, but with no directions on how to actually replace them. All in all, find something else. UPDATE - 1/23/15: The folks there, Warren especially, are nice enough, but that doesn't help heat the house. He read my earlier review and had someone from his company reach out to me to discuss my troubles with the unit. I spent some time describing my creosote issues with him, and of course I received the obligatory "we want you to be satisfied" conversation. They sent me some aluminum strips to help clean out the vertical tubes, after a short "back ordered" period, along with a new 1.5 inch brush. I'll say this, when the unit is clean it works well, but you would either have to 1) only burn kiln dried wood (the wood I am burning is over 2 yrs old and has been covered the whole time but still not "seasoned" enough since I still have horrible creosote problems) 2) clean it bi-weekly which is fairly time consuming; I clean it once every two weeks and it's always very full of tar-like creosote, or 3) burn way more tsp with it than I am, I guess. My temperaturess stay above 170 until it gets really cold, then it will start to fall into the mid 160's, more demand. I still have my oil furnace on and it kicks on to help meet the heating/hotwater demand, so I'm not using the GX10 exclusively. All of the things they have told me are or could be the causes, don't seem to be the case. After getting it really clean about 2 months ago, I sent them an email saying I needed my brush replaced. I didn't expect it to be for free, but I got an email back saying it would be sent right away. Two months later, and I sent another email and got an email reply back that I should have received it. Overall, the work behind keeping it clean really doesn't seem to be worth it for me. When I think of what I paid to purchase and install it, I really wish I would have found something else. There is one solution to this and frankly the only thing that would make me a satisfied customer (and if this happened I would publish another review saying so) and that is if Hawken Energy had one of their folks come out and clean and service my unit and show me exactly what I'm doing wrong. I have followed their suggestions and instructions and still I am having problems, and I know I'm not the only one. I would just like Hawken to stand by their product in deed, not just in word.