Consumer Reviews of Fire Chief wood furnaces

#14  of 32 brands of wood furnaces

Read more about Fire Chief wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2012-12-10 Location: Sugar Land, TX

"My HY-C Outdoor Wood Furnace"
When I bought my HY-C Fire Chief wood furnace, I almost instant had buyer's remorse since it was so expensive. Also, since I live in a relatively warm state, it seemed foolish to spend so much money on a wood furnace. However, after spending some time with it, I feel that it's worth every penny. I've had this furnace for a little less than a year now, and have used it at least 3-5 days a month, as Houston weather is brutally unpredictable. In that time, I've had only one [small] complaint: it takes almost twice the amount of time to heat up as my old unit. Given that the old unit was propane, my complaint shouldn't really be considered when deciding between wood furnaces. Aside from that gripe, I've saved much more money using it compared to my old furnace, since propane usage and cost in the winter time was absolutely killing my wallet. In addition to that, I haven't needed to repair anything on it, which is more than I can say for my prior furnace. From what I've experienced with my neighbors and friends' wood furnaces, this is the top of the line as far as build quality goes. All in all, I would definitely recommend the HY-C Fire Chief FCOS 1600 over any other furnace, although the price of it may seem hard to justify. Still, if they would have made this unit 10 years ago, I definitely would have bought it for the same price as I did this year, and I probably would have saved thousands in fuel money.

Date created: 2012-05-23 Location: Boston, MA

"Outdoor wood furnace not as good as I thought"
I have owned the Fire Chief outdoor wood furnace for about 5 years. I dont really like anything about it, I got it as a gift and I have tried my hardest to like it but Id rather just use my wood stove. What I didnt like is that the btu output is only 16000, it does not come with a stove pipe so i had to go out any buy one. Its just been a huge headache. I never had to repair it because I barely use it. I would never get one of these again if i end up getting one as a gift ill throw it in the river. I would NEVER recommend these pieces of crap to a friend or family member or even an enemy. Just getting an old school wood burning stove is a lot better and way more efficient. They are better than nothing though so to each is own

Date created: 2012-04-09 Location: Highland, MI

"Great furnace really lowers cost"
I have had this wood stove for 2 winters now and could not be happier. Although this past winter has not been that bad I can see how it will be paying for it self real soon. It is so easy to use and with the large capacity I do not have to go out in the middle of the night to add wood. The only thing I could really say negative about it would be the installation. If you do not have a whole lot of experience with pipe fitting, duct work I would not advise installing this your self. I would suggest this to anyone who lives in a cold weather state with harsh winters who wants to lower there heating bills and preserve fuel.

Date created: 2012-02-27 Location: Cambridge, Maine

"Great Indoor Wood Burning Furnace"
With a maximum heating capacity of 1200 sq. ft, this furnace is perfect for my home. It was a little a pricey at $1200 but absolutely worth it as I live in Maine and have no desire to pay a gas company. I've had it for about a year now and luckily haven't had any problems and have had to make no repairs. If it continues to work great, I absolutely recommend it to a friend. Best of all, it is 100% made in the USA and should pay itself off within another year!! Also, it comes with a pre-wired electrical system that made it easy for my husband and I to install! We bought it from Woodland direct and would also recommend using them as well.

Date created: 2012-02-13 Location: houston,tx

"A great wood furnace"
I own my wood furnace for 6 months now. and i tell u its great. its a Fire Chief FC300F model. it keeps three rooms heated up big time. i save some much on my heating bill/ my bill for heating was cut but 60% or more. i belive ever one should get a wood furnace for there home

Date created: 2012-01-24 Location: Becket, MA

"Very satisfied with outdoor wood furnace."
I have owned my fire chief outdoor wood furnace for 2 winters and it's saved me a ton. It works like a charm and luckily I have access to a lot of fire wood but I have absolutely no complaints. What I like about this furnace the most is its completely Eco friendly considering I'm only burning wood to heat my entire house. Also the fact that all the ashes, dirt and wood chips that come along with inside burning stays outside where it belongs. I would recommend this furnace to anyone that's interested in a outdoor furnace and or interested in outdoor burning. This unit easily heats my 1300sqft house.

Date created: 2011-12-23 Location: Ravenna Ohio

"My very own outdoor furnace review"
I have owned my furnace for six months now I love how quick it is to heat up. I like that the one I got comes with a thermostat with it and that its a very great accessory for when it is cold out and I do not find nothing that I do not like about my furnace yet I love it and I have never had anything break down on it yet if i had to replace it I would buy the same brand and yes I would recommend it to my friends. I know there are many brands out there of the wood furnaces and I did shop around before I bought mine there also many other fire chief furnaces but I have found it very easy to use and get set up and started right away it is very well put toghter and very well handled. I bought mine also becuase it was the brand recommended to me form a family member thank you

Date created: 2011-12-20 Location: Ann Arbor, MI

"Works well enough"
I think that the wood furnace that I have is satisfactory for what I need. I own a lakehouse near some woods, and felt that it'd make a nice investment, since I rarely go and there was plenty of fuel available nearby, saving me on gas. My only complaint is that it isn't something that works by way of a thermostat, and as a result, I can make my house a little too warm, if I'm not careful. Also, woodcutting can feel a bit inconvenient at times, but that's just me being lazy. I do like that the furnace has a large capacity, allowing me to keep it running a long time without need for refilling it. In the even that I needed to repair it, I honestly wouldn't know where to start. I assume that before anything else, I'll have to replace some of the ducts connecting the furnace to the house, but that's just normal maintenance. If I had to buy it again, I would. I don't see any reason not to.

Date created: 2011-12-14 Location: Saint Cloud, MN

"Fire Chief Keeps Your Home Comfortable"
I have owned a Fire Chief Outdoor Wood Furnace in October. We got it to replace the indoor furnace we had due to our daughter's allergy to wood mold. The doctor said an outdoor furnace should be fine and so far her allergies have disappeared and everything is nice and cozy in our home again. There is a definite unique warmth this furnace projects that just doesn't come from other heat sources. I don't think this product warms the house as fast as indoor furnaces and it does get annoying having to run outside to throw the wood in when it is really cold outside, but other than that this is a pretty good product. I haven't tried other outdoor furnaces so I think these things are probably normal. Thankfully we have not had to fix anything on the furnace and it runs very smooth. I am happy with our purchase overall and would recommend this product to someone who is looking for a new outdoor wood furnace!

Date created: 2011-12-13 Location: philadelphia, PA

"Fire Chief Outdoor Wood Furnace review"
I have owned this furnace for 2 years now. With the cold season here again, I have it fully working in our back patio area. I live in the Philadelphia area. The patio area is enclosed with just a screen so there is no heat from the house, but with this furnace its perfect. The size of the furnace fits perfect into a corner of the room (not so big). It gives much heat for its size and I am very happy with it. I also like the power of heat performance, installation ease, and that its more economical than a boiler. It came with the blower, and starter collar which makes it ready to start as soon as its set up. As of this point in time, there is nothing that I dislike of the unit. I would purchase this unit again in the future and I highly recommend it for other people.