Consumer Reviews of Fire Chief wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2016-02-24 Name: Richelle Theis
Location: Eau Claire, WI

"Ripped off"
This pos wood stove isn't worth a dime. The fire only lasts 3 hours. Leaves no coals to keep it going. It only heats my little house to 72 tops. It caused a fire last year, thankfully I didn't loose everything. Bought this at Menards, they say they can't help. If a customer service person reads this maybe they will call me? But I'm not holding my breath!

Date created: 2015-10-25 Name: James v
Location: Greensburg, PA

"Junk steel"
The back of the furnace bulges out when the unit gets to operating temperature. I contacted Fire Chief and got the runaround. I used a Jensen brand wood furnace for thirty years until it was worn out. I used this unit for one year and I am afraid it will burn my house down. Bottom line is I will be buying a Woodchuck and using this piece of junk for 30-06 practice.

Date created: 2015-10-17 Name: Tom
Location: Grenloch, NJ

"FC-450"
OMG wow! Holy heat. This thing rips! I'm a plumber, not an HVAC tech, but I was able to install it myself. And I have to open windows. It's great. I have a 1950 square foot home in South Jersey, average winter temperatures of around 29-30 degrees, and I have to damp it down to keep it around 75 in my house. Wide open I can get above 80 on all three floors. This thing will pay for itself in one winter. My average gas bill was $300 a month and now it should be less than $100. Best investment I have made in a while!

Date created: 2015-10-10 Name: Chris
Location: Northwest Hills, CT

"Going on 11 years : )"
I live in Connecticut where temperatures can drop into the single digits and the average winter temperatures are in the 20's. While visiting my parents in Illinois I came across the Fire Chief wood furnace at a Farm King store. Upon returning home I did some research and decided to give it a go. Problem was no one in Connecticut or neighboring states sold these furnaces. I called Farm King in Illinois to see if they could ship one to Connecticut. The manager hooked me up directly to Fire Chief who were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. I decide on the 700 model. Farm King got the sale but it was shipped directly from the factory, which only cost $200.00 by truck. On top of that, Farm King was having a sale on that furnace and sold it to me for the sale price, something they needn't do because being in Connecticut I would have been none the wiser. Kudos to Farm King in Monmouth, Illinois. Now on to the performance. I installed the Chief (as I and my family call it) myself. It has been my sole source of heat for a little over 10 years now and has worked flawlessly. I do have a Goodman propane furnace for backup but have only spent approximately $500.00 over the last 10 years for propane. The Chief works just like any hot air furnace. Set the thermostat and forget it. It keeps the temperature in the house were I set it perfectly. I can't say enough about how happy I am that 10 years ago I decided to give it a go. Great product! As of yet nothing to repair. I take my hat off to the makers of the Chief and to Farm King in Monmouth, Illinois.

Date created: 2014-11-30 Name: Mark Kramer
Location: Mason City, IA

"Warm in Iowa"
I have had this furnace for five years. The house is a two story, 900 square feet per level. I keep the temperature at 70 degrees. Our average winter is 28 degrees and I burn between 8 to 12 cord of ash, oak or elm each year. This unit delivers on demand. I can raise the temperature 10 degrees in 20 minutes. If you are looking for a unit that will heat your home, take a good look at the Fire Chief. Mine is styled after the doghouse - 36 x 50 x 40.

Date created: 2014-11-29 Name: John McB
Location: Iowa

"Shelter furnace"
I bit the bullet on buying a Menards Shelter SF2626 furnace (Fire Chief) even though I could find no reviews for the shelter. I felt the quality was far superior to the DAKA and Drolet add-on furnaces also available there. I am an HVAC service tech and I liked the true supply fan blower that can create duct static, as opposed to 2 little fans that will do just enough to circulate. A flue damper is a must and the over fire draft needs to be checked because I close my damper all the way down to get to the recommended draft. Not doing this step leads to heat being wasted up the chimney and using wood like mad without getting heat output. After 2 months of it running I am very impressed. I am primarily burning cottonwood because I have excesses of it and I have been keeping 950 square feet at 72 down to a few days of almost 0 so far. I do feed a lot of wood but I am saving the good stuff for when it gets really cold. I'm very impressed and I do recommend this product so far.

Date created: 2014-11-18 Name: R.S. Bowersox
Location: Versailles, MO

"Top of the line"
I have owned my Fire Chief 2200 outside forced air furnace for just 5 years and was so happy with my purchase that I bought an 1800 series for my 40 x 60 machine shed. The furnace paid for itself in the first two years, and if operated and set up per specification in the manual plus the use of seasoned wood, you will never experience anything but a warm area in the coldest of temperatures. I have had three friends purchase the same furnace as myself and inform me of their dislike of the product. After the minor adding on of an extra chimney pipe (as described in the manual) or the removal of 90 degree elbows from the heat ducting(also stated in the manual,) they now praise the use of these stoves. Green or unseasoned wood will cause them to creosote up and run inefficiently. I have used mine as the sole heat source of a 2400 square foot house in temperatures as low as 25 below zero, and it kept a temp of 72 degrees with no problem. Another common mistake that friends have made is with the ducting. The cold air return has to be placed where a circulation on the warm air can be achieved. Placing them side by side just pulls the warm air back through the system. Once again, there are a couple of examples in the manual and a YouTube video to show and explain these procedures. I will continue to recommend these furnaces to my friends, and I often use my home as a demo on how well these furnaces perform! I have also dealt with the company and my dealer on several occasions, and they have proven to be very knowledgeable and helpful. With the prices of oil and propane rising, these furnaces are an excellent alternative for a primary heat source!

Date created: 2014-11-11 Name: Vern Janisch
Location: Strasburg, CO

"What a godsend"
I have had an indoor Fire Chief for 3 years now. Make sure you hook up the thermostat and use the forced air draft to control your furnace. I hooked the furnace into the inside ducting. I installed the back draft damper so I could continue to use my propane furnace. I also made a damper to keep the Fire Chief from going back into the propane unit. I can run both furnaces at the same time. The Fire Chief has saved me at least $10,000 in propane costs over the 3 years.

Date created: 2013-11-12 Name: Brenton Beck
Location: Canfield, OH

"My Fire Chief FCOS1800D"
This burner is great to maintain heat, but terrible to climb the thermometer without burning up the wood in the furnace. Obviously this is contingent on the size of your home, mine is 800 sq. Ft. Per floor. I would not suggest this burner as a primary heat source when temperatures drop down below 40-45 degrees, because it needs to run hard for over an hour to heat my home. Instead, I run the oil furnace for 10 minutes, get my house up to temp. and then the Fire Chief takes over. I also found that choice of wood is essential to the performance of the burner. I went through maple like crazy and just started burning hardwood oak, and I cannot believe the heat this thing produces! Overall, I would probably rather spend the extra $3,000 and get a boiler so I can replace my oil furnace all together. Most people said it was overkill for my home, but I would rather have something that heats my home rather than just maintaining the temperature.

Date created: 2013-03-03 Name: bruce kushmaul
Location: pittsford mich

"Model 1800 fire cheif"
I bought a model 1800 fire chief wood burner, I burn wood and I cannot get no heat out. When I called the company they want to take no responsibilty for it, they blame it on the customer. I will be switching to a boiler. I found most everything that fire chief wrote was a lie in there brochures.