Consumer Reviews of Fire Chief wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2018-03-22 Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Girard, KS

"Fire Chief Wood Stove"
I recently bought one of the new "EPACompliant" wood stove. Honest to God I may haul the worthless wood eating piece of scrap iron off, I'd almost give it away if they would pick it up. I had one of the older versions and loved it! This one burns three times the wood and puts out a forth of the heat. I haven't used it much this winter because it just so inefficient but now that it's in the fifty's it kinda does fair and then last night one of the fire bricks falls out of the top portion of the fire chamber. I thought you gave to be kidding. I'm serious people please don't buy this product, there's nothing like they used to be. I'm actually trying to buy my old stove back from the people that bought our house!

Date created: 2018-02-19 Name: Chuck
Location: Ne.

"Fire chief 700 E NE. Farmer"
I bought the 700 model in 2012 I burn at least 2 cords a season. The furnace has worked well. I have a 2 story house. The blower motor capisator went bad. It was a easy replace. Keep the factory number on your manual as most dealers will not help with parts. I have had other wood furnaces before. Normally the grates start going bad about now. These still look like new.

Date created: 2018-01-07 Name: John
Location: Northern Indiana

"Excellent"
Waited for double wall pipes for 6 weeks and installed Wednesday, January 3. I was on vacation and used 75 gal of propane in 8 days. Fired up in the middle of the longest cold streak on record and could not be happier. The house can be kept at 75 when it's -5 with -20 windchill no problem. I can keep the house at 68 and get 5-6 hr burns out of the furnace below 10 outside. Looking forward to the warmer temps coming.

Date created: 2017-12-28 Name: E. Dotson
Location: Southwest Missouri

"Owner"
This is a noce stove to look at ... but would not heat a doll house. Burn tons of wood. I had a little house heater before made from a barrel.It worked well. This stove simply will not put out any heat unless you have a huge fire in it. I've called the company but got no results. Worst buy ever.

Date created: 2017-11-18 Name: gene k
Location: Minnesota

"This thing is hopeless."
I bout this furnace from menards fs 1000 and they said the temp on the ducked work out of the furnic is 150 to 165 degrees but only puts out 120 with their advice and will not heat my home except when it very mild temp 25 to 40 degrees f it would heat my home if the temps where at 160 it never reaches that without opening the door below then it goes into overdrive and over heats itself and turns red hot buy the loading door they ether screwed up when they built this on or its a piece of junk I don't know yoy have to pay shiping round robbin wicth is about 500 bucks so much for the warranty ive tried everthing I could think of the but very little results no I will never buy any of their furnices again they gave me the runaround and blne amed me exuse my speeeeling ha ha

Date created: 2016-12-18 Name: J.Nafzger

"700 Series"
I have had this indoor unit for 6 years and is my primary source of heat. Our home is 1800 sq ft and it will run you out of it. Load it with wood maybe twice a day and burn only hedge and oak that is seasoned. Easy to control the heat. The key to this thing is to use only season hardwood, keep a nice bed of coals, and continue to allow your blower to run. This keeps the warm air circulated through out the home and it is easier on your blower motor and capacitors. We keep the home at a nice 75* and never worry about getting a chill. I use to worry about the cost during the winters to heat but no more. Love...love the no heating bill, which we have not had for 2 years now!

Date created: 2016-10-31 Location: Hiddenite, NC

"Expensive, not worth it"
I bought this wood furnace as an upgrade to my existing system. The new Fire Chief FC450 is much larger than my previous furnace and heats up to 2000 sq ft. The problems start with the overall design though. It was a bit of a hassle to install and get in. It was a bit taller than I expected and as such fit awkwardly in my setup. The furnace itself works okay but I had some issue with heat leaking and a strong smoke odor would engulf the room. I eventually had someone come in to do an inspection and found that there was a small crack near the exhaust vent. It was fixed and it now works properly. The unit was pretty expensive, so I feel like I did not get my money's worth. I feel like I may have gotten too large and complex a unit for my needs.

Date created: 2016-02-24 Name: Richelle Theis
Location: Eau Claire, WI

"Ripped off"
This pos wood stove isn't worth a dime. The fire only lasts 3 hours. Leaves no coals to keep it going. It only heats my little house to 72 tops. It caused a fire last year, thankfully I didn't loose everything. Bought this at Menards, they say they can't help. If a customer service person reads this maybe they will call me? But I'm not holding my breath!

Date created: 2015-10-25 Name: James v
Location: Greensburg, PA

"Junk steel"
The back of the furnace bulges out when the unit gets to operating temperature. I contacted Fire Chief and got the runaround. I used a Jensen brand wood furnace for thirty years until it was worn out. I used this unit for one year and I am afraid it will burn my house down. Bottom line is I will be buying a Woodchuck and using this piece of junk for 30-06 practice.

Date created: 2015-10-17 Name: Tom
Location: Grenloch, NJ

"FC-450"
OMG wow! Holy heat. This thing rips! I'm a plumber, not an HVAC tech, but I was able to install it myself. And I have to open windows. It's great. I have a 1950 square foot home in South Jersey, average winter temperatures of around 29-30 degrees, and I have to damp it down to keep it around 75 in my house. Wide open I can get above 80 on all three floors. This thing will pay for itself in one winter. My average gas bill was $300 a month and now it should be less than $100. Best investment I have made in a while!