Consumer Reviews of Fire Chief wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2014-11-30 Name: Mark Kramer
Location: Mason City, IA

"Warm in Iowa"
I have had this furnace for five years. The house is a two story, 900 square feet per level. I keep the temperature at 70 degrees. Our average winter is 28 degrees and I burn between 8 to 12 cord of ash, oak or elm each year. This unit delivers on demand. I can raise the temperature 10 degrees in 20 minutes. If you are looking for a unit that will heat your home, take a good look at the Fire Chief. Mine is styled after the doghouse - 36 x 50 x 40.

Date created: 2014-11-29 Name: John McB
Location: Iowa

"Shelter furnace"
I bit the bullet on buying a Menards Shelter SF2626 furnace (Fire Chief) even though I could find no reviews for the shelter. I felt the quality was far superior to the DAKA and Drolet add-on furnaces also available there. I am an HVAC service tech and I liked the true supply fan blower that can create duct static, as opposed to 2 little fans that will do just enough to circulate. A flue damper is a must and the over fire draft needs to be checked because I close my damper all the way down to get to the recommended draft. Not doing this step leads to heat being wasted up the chimney and using wood like mad without getting heat output. After 2 months of it running I am very impressed. I am primarily burning cottonwood because I have excesses of it and I have been keeping 950 square feet at 72 down to a few days of almost 0 so far. I do feed a lot of wood but I am saving the good stuff for when it gets really cold. I'm very impressed and I do recommend this product so far.

Date created: 2014-11-18 Name: R.S. Bowersox
Location: Versailles, MO

"Top of the line"
I have owned my Fire Chief 2200 outside forced air furnace for just 5 years and was so happy with my purchase that I bought an 1800 series for my 40 x 60 machine shed. The furnace paid for itself in the first two years, and if operated and set up per specification in the manual plus the use of seasoned wood, you will never experience anything but a warm area in the coldest of temperatures. I have had three friends purchase the same furnace as myself and inform me of their dislike of the product. After the minor adding on of an extra chimney pipe (as described in the manual) or the removal of 90 degree elbows from the heat ducting(also stated in the manual,) they now praise the use of these stoves. Green or unseasoned wood will cause them to creosote up and run inefficiently. I have used mine as the sole heat source of a 2400 square foot house in temperatures as low as 25 below zero, and it kept a temp of 72 degrees with no problem. Another common mistake that friends have made is with the ducting. The cold air return has to be placed where a circulation on the warm air can be achieved. Placing them side by side just pulls the warm air back through the system. Once again, there are a couple of examples in the manual and a YouTube video to show and explain these procedures. I will continue to recommend these furnaces to my friends, and I often use my home as a demo on how well these furnaces perform! I have also dealt with the company and my dealer on several occasions, and they have proven to be very knowledgeable and helpful. With the prices of oil and propane rising, these furnaces are an excellent alternative for a primary heat source!

Date created: 2014-11-11 Name: Vern Janisch
Location: Strasburg, CO

"What a godsend"
I have had an indoor Fire Chief for 3 years now. Make sure you hook up the thermostat and use the forced air draft to control your furnace. I hooked the furnace into the inside ducting. I installed the back draft damper so I could continue to use my propane furnace. I also made a damper to keep the Fire Chief from going back into the propane unit. I can run both furnaces at the same time. The Fire Chief has saved me at least $10,000 in propane costs over the 3 years.

Date created: 2013-11-12 Name: Brenton Beck
Location: Canfield, OH

"My Fire Chief FCOS1800D"
This burner is great to maintain heat, but terrible to climb the thermometer without burning up the wood in the furnace. Obviously this is contingent on the size of your home, mine is 800 sq. Ft. Per floor. I would not suggest this burner as a primary heat source when temperatures drop down below 40-45 degrees, because it needs to run hard for over an hour to heat my home. Instead, I run the oil furnace for 10 minutes, get my house up to temp. and then the Fire Chief takes over. I also found that choice of wood is essential to the performance of the burner. I went through maple like crazy and just started burning hardwood oak, and I cannot believe the heat this thing produces! Overall, I would probably rather spend the extra $3,000 and get a boiler so I can replace my oil furnace all together. Most people said it was overkill for my home, but I would rather have something that heats my home rather than just maintaining the temperature.

Date created: 2013-03-03 Name: bruce kushmaul
Location: pittsford mich

"Model 1800 fire cheif"
I bought a model 1800 fire chief wood burner, I burn wood and I cannot get no heat out. When I called the company they want to take no responsibilty for it, they blame it on the customer. I will be switching to a boiler. I found most everything that fire chief wrote was a lie in there brochures.

Date created: 2012-12-10 Location: Sugar Land, TX

"My HY-C Outdoor Wood Furnace"
When I bought my HY-C Fire Chief wood furnace, I almost instant had buyer's remorse since it was so expensive. Also, since I live in a relatively warm state, it seemed foolish to spend so much money on a wood furnace. However, after spending some time with it, I feel that it's worth every penny. I've had this furnace for a little less than a year now, and have used it at least 3-5 days a month, as Houston weather is brutally unpredictable. In that time, I've had only one [small] complaint: it takes almost twice the amount of time to heat up as my old unit. Given that the old unit was propane, my complaint shouldn't really be considered when deciding between wood furnaces. Aside from that gripe, I've saved much more money using it compared to my old furnace, since propane usage and cost in the winter time was absolutely killing my wallet. In addition to that, I haven't needed to repair anything on it, which is more than I can say for my prior furnace. From what I've experienced with my neighbors and friends' wood furnaces, this is the top of the line as far as build quality goes. All in all, I would definitely recommend the HY-C Fire Chief FCOS 1600 over any other furnace, although the price of it may seem hard to justify. Still, if they would have made this unit 10 years ago, I definitely would have bought it for the same price as I did this year, and I probably would have saved thousands in fuel money.

Date created: 2012-05-23 Location: Boston, MA

"Outdoor wood furnace not as good as I thought"
I have owned the Fire Chief outdoor wood furnace for about 5 years. I dont really like anything about it, I got it as a gift and I have tried my hardest to like it but Id rather just use my wood stove. What I didnt like is that the btu output is only 16000, it does not come with a stove pipe so i had to go out any buy one. Its just been a huge headache. I never had to repair it because I barely use it. I would never get one of these again if i end up getting one as a gift ill throw it in the river. I would NEVER recommend these pieces of crap to a friend or family member or even an enemy. Just getting an old school wood burning stove is a lot better and way more efficient. They are better than nothing though so to each is own

Date created: 2012-04-09 Location: Highland, MI

"Great furnace really lowers cost"
I have had this wood stove for 2 winters now and could not be happier. Although this past winter has not been that bad I can see how it will be paying for it self real soon. It is so easy to use and with the large capacity I do not have to go out in the middle of the night to add wood. The only thing I could really say negative about it would be the installation. If you do not have a whole lot of experience with pipe fitting, duct work I would not advise installing this your self. I would suggest this to anyone who lives in a cold weather state with harsh winters who wants to lower there heating bills and preserve fuel.

Date created: 2012-02-27 Location: Cambridge, Maine

"Great Indoor Wood Burning Furnace"
With a maximum heating capacity of 1200 sq. ft, this furnace is perfect for my home. It was a little a pricey at $1200 but absolutely worth it as I live in Maine and have no desire to pay a gas company. I've had it for about a year now and luckily haven't had any problems and have had to make no repairs. If it continues to work great, I absolutely recommend it to a friend. Best of all, it is 100% made in the USA and should pay itself off within another year!! Also, it comes with a pre-wired electrical system that made it easy for my husband and I to install! We bought it from Woodland direct and would also recommend using them as well.