Consumer Reviews of Fire Chief wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2019-01-22 Name: Mikaela Lorino
Location: Missouri

"Fire chief"
We bought a fire chief furnace over the summer and when we tried to hook it up we had problem after problem we couldn't get it right. I contacted the fire chief and they were amazing at resolving all our problems and helping us to get our unit running the right way! It started out rocking but ended up being a very positive experience with them! I would highly recommend their stove to anyone

Date created: 2019-01-09 Name: Ronald E Moore
Location: Ohio

"Unhappy"
We bought this furnace last November 2017. Used it as recommended by Hy- C. Although my wood wasnít as dry as they recommend it was pretty dry. All ash and seasoned. We ran the stove hard trying to heat 1600 sq ft. And done a descent of it but noticed I was using a lot of wood. And never got more than 9 hrs burn time. Twice what we issued in our 40 yr old stove inside the house. Then came April and early one morning we woke to a house full of smoke. No fire just smoke and that awful smell. Called Hy-C soon as we could and they did jump on the problem and found it had not been sealed around the return plenum letting the smoke from the draft motor to return air. The offered to come after it but not pay for installation so I taped seems and kept it. My second big mistake. Wish we would have sent it and took the loss. Been better off. The remainder of the season was ok except for the smell. No one offered to have anything cleaned. Now to this year it has just been a problem. At times you can still get a whiff of creosote and the only time it will heat for 15 hours is in August. We are very disappointed with this furnace. 72 degrees is about max in 25-35 degree weather for a 1600 sq ft single level. The thing eats wood. I mean eats it up when itís cold. Needs a stronger blower as well. Heated with wood for over 40 years and this being our first outdoor furnace itís a disappointment We would not recommend this furnace in its current working order.
Date created: 2018-12-27 Name: Topher Michael
Location: North East, MA

"Great heat, very short burn times"
Do not believe the advertised burn times!!! The stove is very easy to start and outputs a ton of heat, however, good luck getting more than 7-8 hours. Also, the stove door was not correctly aligned from the factory. Customer service has several canned responses that they say to everyone.
Date created: 2018-12-24 Name: eugene [email protected]
Location: Minnesota

"Lots of Problems"
I wrote a review a year ago about this furnace and the housing around the door cracked so I welded it up and cracked again right away not in my welds but alongside of it the way its made is why it cracked there is nowhere for it to flex at all so it just cracks again and the stupid fire bricks keep falling for the life of me why do they do that how stupid can you be so I took 10-inch flat steel cut it down to 9 1/4 wide by 19 inches long and that works well they set on there loose and also the tube that holds them in place has already close to burned out with big holes burned in it and still doesn't heat very well and only but out good heat for about 3 to 4 hrs the house gets cold with temps 10 above to 30 above don't buy this furnace period its a piece of junk it no sense calling them because all they do is argue with you and I spent 1400 dollars for pretty much nothing my old shot furnace heated better than this one and the above baffle was burned out
Date created: 2018-08-25 Name: Sarah Gardner
Location: Middlefield, OH

"Update to my previous review"
Since leaving my earlier review, Hy-C has committed to refunding both the furnace and the cost to install, additionally they will provide removal of the malfunctioning one. I will say that I am very satisfied with Hy-Cís recent response and attitude and happy to relay that Hy-C has definitely satisfied our concerns and rectified our situation.
Date created: 2018-08-22 Name: Sarah Gardner
Location: Middlefield, OH

"Unsatisfied"
We purchased a brand new Fire Chief FC1500 from Shetlers in Middlefield, OH, an authorized dealer for Hy-C (the parent company of Fire Chief) on October 13th, 2017. Had it installed by the "trained and recommended" installer R.J.S. Installs also from Middlefield, OH, on October 31 2017. The installer failed to fire up the furnace, to check for leaks, defects, or failures of any kind. We had to call him the very first time we lit the furnace, as it leaked smoke and over heated with the very small first burn fire even! After speaking with the installer and the dealer we called Fire Chief (Hy-C) who literally told us, "there is no way that the furnace is over heating it isn't possible." Even though we explained that we were not new to wood furnaces, and were using a thermostat on the furnace and the exhaust pipe, they continued to disregard our complaints for over three weeks. Eventually the furnace began leaking smoke from the exhaust badly, cracks formed in the lining, the door deformed etc. At this point they finally diagnosed the problem as a bad switch! Which my husband had told them about the first day! They did replace the switch rather quickly, however, the damage had already been done. We had to argue with them for four months before they replaced the defective furnace. After purchasing a top of the line new furnace from the authorized dealer, paying for a professional install we then were stuck with a defective piece of equipment during a very cold winter, while arguing with this very unprofessional company, trying to convince them to honor their warranty. In February, they finally did that, honor their warranty, or at least we thought they were. Unfortunately with the very first burn, we noted that the same switch that was bad with the first furnace, was also bad on this one! What a coincidence! The company did replace the switch, again. However, again the damage was already done! We noticed in April that the furnace had a large crack in it, from overheating. The cause is obvious, but Hy-C is doing everything they can to get out of honoring their warranty. Avoiding calls, not returning calls, not returning emails, trying to blame the installer, the duct work, etc. However, like we explained to them initially, if the installer found fault with our duct work, why were we not informed when the first furnace was installed? Or when the second one was installed? Or at any point along this exhausting and frustrating experience? We are obviously not experts in the field of wood furnaces, which is why we hired a professional to do it for us! It is up to the professionals to inform us as to what is required for them to do their job. Hy-C trained and educated this particular installer, and they should stand by their recommendation and their equipment. Unfortunately, this is not our experience with this particular company, or with the furnaces. Please use caution when considering the furnace!
Date created: 2018-03-22 Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Girard, KS

"Fire Chief Wood Stove"
I recently bought one of the new "EPACompliant" wood stove. Honest to God I may haul the worthless wood eating piece of scrap iron off, I'd almost give it away if they would pick it up. I had one of the older versions and loved it! This one burns three times the wood and puts out a forth of the heat. I haven't used it much this winter because it just so inefficient but now that it's in the fifty's it kinda does fair and then last night one of the fire bricks falls out of the top portion of the fire chamber. I thought you gave to be kidding. I'm serious people please don't buy this product, there's nothing like they used to be. I'm actually trying to buy my old stove back from the people that bought our house!
Date created: 2018-02-19 Name: Chuck
Location: Ne.

"Fire chief 700 E NE. Farmer"
I bought the 700 model in 2012 I burn at least 2 cords a season. The furnace has worked well. I have a 2 story house. The blower motor capisator went bad. It was a easy replace. Keep the factory number on your manual as most dealers will not help with parts. I have had other wood furnaces before. Normally the grates start going bad about now. These still look like new.
Date created: 2018-01-07 Name: John
Location: Northern Indiana

"Excellent"
Waited for double wall pipes for 6 weeks and installed Wednesday, January 3. I was on vacation and used 75 gal of propane in 8 days. Fired up in the middle of the longest cold streak on record and could not be happier. The house can be kept at 75 when it's -5 with -20 windchill no problem. I can keep the house at 68 and get 5-6 hr burns out of the furnace below 10 outside. Looking forward to the warmer temps coming.
Date created: 2017-12-28 Name: E. Dotson
Location: Southwest Missouri

"Owner"
This is a noce stove to look at ... but would not heat a doll house. Burn tons of wood. I had a little house heater before made from a barrel.It worked well. This stove simply will not put out any heat unless you have a huge fire in it. I've called the company but got no results. Worst buy ever.