Consumer Reviews of Empyre wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2016-04-09 Name: Bob Lick
Location: Lackawanna County, PA

"Leaking exchanger tubes"
My Elite XT-100 is a warranty unit given to me by Pro-Fab because my original purchase rotted out beyond repair in less than two heating seasons. The new unit was amazing! The new design exceeded our expectations. The firebox is still shining like new. Every Saturday I clean any residual creosote that may be clinging to the sides of the firebox and brush the exchanger tubes. In springtime, I remove all firebrick and super clean the whole inside of the unit, replacing any cracked brick as needed and coat the tubes with oil. Now just at the end of my third season, the boiler tubes are starting to leak! I will be contacting them about this immediately. I will never by another outdoor wood burner again after these terrible experiences. After 5 years this investment and the work of cutting and splitting, I did not even break even on savings versus the propane heat that I was replacing.

Date created: 2016-02-11 Name: Kirk johnson
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY

"Terrible"
I have had the Empyre Elite 100 for three years now and have had nothing but trouble. I have replaced the temperature limit five times. The heat exchanger that was sold to me was so undersized that I had to buy the right one to make it work. Now I am having the same trouble everyone else is having, it leaks and nobody wants to honor their product. I would not recommend this product or company to anyone. I have contacted the attorney general's office about them. I want answers.

Date created: 2016-01-15 Name: D. Wismer
Location: Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada

This is our third winter with this furnace and it has been a problem almost from the beginning. It is good as far as lowering my wood consumption but the overheat limit switch went the first year. The firebrick in the secondary burn chamber disintegrated the first year. The replacements would not stay in position. Removing the firebrick to do any repairs was extremely difficult. The unit sprung a leak towards the end of the second year in the upper burn chamber but now continues to produce more leaks in more places. The company has not paid for the first welding repair like they said they would. The fan died in the second year, and there is no warranty on the electrical. There is now a leak in the seam between the upper and lower parts of the firebox at the back. The metal is only 10 gauge, not the quality product they promised. Would we buy the same brand again? Are you kidding? This is the biggest boat anchor in the area. We are wondering when the company will come good for its warranty! Our dealer has been trying to get some help here but the company leaves a lot to be desired.

Date created: 2015-02-24 Name: carl
Location: NH

I am on my second year with my 200 and would never buy one again. Service is nonexistent here in New Hampshire. They never told me my electric bill would go up $100.00 per month. After 1 year of use I had to replace all the fire brick. It took all day. The installation cost was over $2,000. Just the plumbing, that is. I had to put the unit in place because the salesman showed up at night, can't back up a trailer, and had to borrow tools to assemble. It was not a good experience. I'm very, very dissatisfied. Also, there are no servicemen in my area and the salesman said he can't help me!

Date created: 2012-05-17 Location: Detroit, Mi

"Empyre Pro Series 400 review"
We have had the wood furnace for a couple of years now. The top reasons that I like it are the long burn times between loads, the ease of cleaning out ash, the fact of putting in full sized logs and limbs. It also puts out enough BTUs to the point that I need not add any other heating elements to my house. I am happy this is a fairly green product with the efficiency rating on the unit is 90%, but compared to the cost of fuel oil, the price at 11,500 is a little steep for most, but with the rising cost of fuel, I feel I made the right decision. One that I will be recommending to a couple of my friends when they come up for skiing this winter. I also am happy that the Pro Series 400 came with a pretty decent industry standard 10 year limited warranty. In the future, I will purchase this brand and model again.