Consumer Reviews of Central Boiler wood furnaces

Read more about Central Boiler wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2013-12-07 Name: Brad
Location: Pa

"Don't buy a Central Boiler"
I am a master plumber in the Philadelphia area that had a customer that bought a Central Boiler. Dealer mislead customer on many accounts regarding ease of installation with no regard for codes for a safe installation. Do not trust dealers. After installation the draft regulator was not closing and boiler was overheating. Central Boiler basically said "is your problem we are not there so figure it out yourself or call dealer". Also, technical support rep is just a salesman with no technical experience. Same problem on the draft regulator with another boiler. Bottom line don't buy a Central Boiler.

Date created: 2013-11-10 Name: Edward
Location: Pennsylvania

"Central Boiler Warranty 25 Years???? Is Really 10 Because Of Corrosion Wording"
My Central Boiler boiler was directly plumbed to my 15-year old Weil-McLain oil boiler. The Weil-McLain is much thinner and older when the Central Boiler was hooked into my heating system. 10 years later, my older now 25-year old Weil-McLain (much thinner cross section) is still going and the Central Boiler started leaking. I kept the pH and Nitride level testing perfect due to my direct plumbing method to protect my older house boiler. I also ran into a rude Central Boiler rep and I think all their boilers are failing well within their 25-year claim, and it's wearing them down. I only have experience with Central Boiler products, so I can't compare but I can tell perspective buyers to only expect 10 years at best. Because I treated this boiler like a chemist with the water, and treated the firebox with Ashtrol and scraped it down every year and coated the inside.

Date created: 2013-11-09 Name: Mike Martin
Location: Whitehorse Yukon

"Too Many Electrical Breakdowns"
I have an older Central Boiler model that is quite inefficient with no reburner, so it smokes a lot. I really like the concept of the unit but between the inefficiency, environmental concerns of smoke, and the fact that there are so many electrical parts that break down repeatedly, I don't like it nearly as much. My unit broke down again on a Friday evening over a long weekend, so I won't get parts for a few days. There is absolutely no way that I could rely on this unit as being my only source of heat for my house. I would have frozen up many times over the years. I wouldn't recommend it unless the newer models have improved a lot.

Date created: 2013-08-31 Name: Douglas Giles
Location: Seldovia, Alaska

"Alaskan Classic"
We live in the temperate climate of South Central Alaska, (+10 to -20 degrees F.) Yellow Spruce is our main source of wood. Heating oil is $5.50+ per gallon. We installed the cl-4030 in 2008 and have not had a single issue with the unit. Burning from September to April using about 10 cord, it heats our 3800 sq.ft. home and domestic water rather easily and cuts 60% from our fuel bill. The reviews about leaks concern me. I keep a proper ph balance & make sure the rust inhibitor is where it is suppose to be, also the unit has Glycol in it, time will tell. Great product!

Date created: 2013-06-27 Name: Randy
Location: Ct

"You Need to Read This if You Have Central Boiler"
I purchase a Central Boiler in '05. I loved the boiler, I get wood for free and heat my house and garage with it and hot water. I built a pavilion around it to keep the wood dry so less smoke nice dry wood. Had four pipes on the chimney. Blower on the door for a more efficient burn time. Well, two days before I was shutting the unit down, we had a fire that burned the pavilion down melted the siding on my garage. Melted windows, melted tractor, did a lot of damage to property. Come to find out the 90 on the back of the unit. The inner 8" wall was gone making it single wall pipe, also the first pipe off of the 90 4' section inner wall dropped 6" down into the 90 slowing down the draft. Which in turn started the fire. I have insurance on it. The insurance company had the veo from Central Boiler and the chimney company came to my house to look at this problem. The insurance had an engineer there, also to show the problem with the pipe and the 90 out the back. Central Boiler didn't want to hear it. They told us that the double wall 10" pipe is not a 0 clearance pipe. I also had the plumber that installed the unit there. The chimney people told us that the pipe is only good for 5 years. It was a Lennox pipe 10" with 8" stainless steel pipe. I was told the outer wall is stainless and the inner wall is not stainless. Really? How many people know this. I just wanted people to know that in New England, I have a lot of people that have these unit with roofs over them to keep the wood dry. I had 2' on center framing where the chimney went through the roof with a chimney cap to keep it away from the wood by 6" and the chimney people said, the chimney is not a 0 clearance pipe. But could not tell me why the inner 8" wall dropped inside the pipe and why the 90 inner wall was rotted. I have had it like this for 9 years with no problem. People need to know about that 90 and the 10" stainless steel pipe problem that they are having.

Date created: 2013-04-04 Name: Steve
Location: Alberta

"No warranty"
Central boilers 25 year warranty is junk. My boiler only ran for a couple months and broke down. When talking to central boiler they offer no solutions. No service and a warranty on parts only is what they offer. I will never purchase from central boiler again and would encourage everyone to search other brands.

Date created: 2013-03-09 Name: Joe
Location: Akron

"Central Boiler Review"
Would have liked to have gotten my investment back from this central boiler. Since I followed all of the manufactures specifications to assure that I would have a furnace that would last long enough to get my investment back but that didn't happen. My advice to a person thing about this purchase. Do the math.

Date created: 2013-02-11 Name: Charlotte Hoover
Location: Seneca Falls NY

"2 Faulty circuit boards and BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE"
Our system was installed at the end of October 2012 by Martin's in Seneca Falls. The unit stopped working on 2 separate occasions due to bad circuit boards. They were replaced as I made payments on my new furnace. I had to get a propane fill up due to the unit not working, so I could run the inside furnace. I called Central Boiler to ask that I am compensated for the added expense that I should not have encountered if I was not sold a faulty unit. Not only did Central Boiler not call me back, but they had the dealer call and tell me I would not be compensated for anything, as the propane is not part of the warranty, and they have replaced the parts that are under warranty. I have purchased wood, making payments on a unit that did not work and I had to purchase $520.00 in propane. Thank you for increasing my cost and worrying about the customer. $16,000.00 is a lot of money to spend on a faulty unit and not to be compensated for expenses I should not have had. Martin's has been wonderful to us, but I don't feel this is an issue they should have to handle as they did not make the unit. Thank You Central Boiler for your wonderful Customer Service!!!

Date created: 2013-01-29 Name: Luke
Location: St. Francis, Mn

"In a pickle but happy on the product"
I read through these reviews and I'm surprised to see that most, if not all of these reviews are from folks who have not had their boilers in service for very long. I have had my boiler in use for eight years and I would consider my usage on it extreme. cl 4036, and it heat my mid sized home and a triple car garage with ease. I did the entire install of the system myself, and have had zero problems until 2 weeks ago. I was having to refill the system which obviously indicates a leak. Found the leak site under the boiler at three different spots. all 1/4 inch circular holes. Two at the back spaced 1 foot apart almost at the weld seam, and on the left side at almost the weld seam. I drained and welded on all three spot two times now and the metal is pretty thin around those holes which is difficult to seal up welding on my back in winter. I have never added any anti corrosion to this system like cryotek, and maybe thats why the water is leaching metal. I check water ph on the unit like you would a pool monthly. Likes to be on the alkaline side if anything, but never the less, balanced. I dont add the inhibitor because of the need to shut the boiler down in winter. To do this, I hook an air hose to the system and blow out the lines. Happens once or twice during the winter for me. When I get back, I refill the syetem, bleed the air, and fire the boiler up with no problems. I still have leaks to date which led me to this site. I think Im going to use an epoxy pipe sealant and see if I can limp to spring. Then I'll have to tip it on its side and rebuild the bottom of it with new metal. How someone could get 25years out of a boiler with no problems doesn't seem possible. I suppose if a person were using something other than water like propylene glycol, which would cost a fortune to fill. Regardless of my situation, I am happy with the unit and our minnesota climate keeps the stove at peak usage all winter long. Sadly, it had to be done, my home furnace is heating my house. My suggestion to Central boiler would be to prespray a ceramic coating on all the panels of steel prior to fabing and welding the box together. Heated water is leaching the metal, find the fix guys!

Date created: 2013-01-28 Name: scott herberg
Location: st.francis, minnesota

"Central boiler leaks/ customer service stinks"
I too, had a central boiler that worked for 6 seasons with no problems. (I burn 10/15 cords per season of dry seasoned oak only) Then it sprung a leak in the side wall. had it welded by cert. welder, he noted the walls were very thin. it made the rest of the season, but the start of the 6th season it started leaking from the back side. had it inspected by a couple of welders who said the walls were too thin to weld. The customer service was as others have said, rude, non helpful, accusing. Rather than pay for shipping and rebuilding or buying new, I went with another source, sold the thing for scrap and chalked up 7500.00 as a bad investment/