Consumer Reviews of Central Boiler wood furnaces

#24  of 33 brands of wood furnaces

Read more about Central Boiler wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2016-10-31 Location: Kansas City, MO

"The Classic Edge 350 Is Affordable and Effecient!"
I've owned this unit for a a little more than a year, I bought it in the winter of 2015 and I have to say it's extremely efficient for the price that it costs. The previous wood furnace that I had was extremely old and I found myself working on it more than I should so I buckled down and bought the Classic Edge 350 at one of the local dealers and so far I've been extremely satsified, it burns a lot less wood and so far I've had no maintenance issues practically have just left it alone for an entire year that's how efficient it has been. The coolest feature that I was surprised by is that it can be controlled by a wifi module so if you're at work you can look in and make sure it's running smoothly. It also comes in a plethora of different colors, I went ahead and chose the green as it made sense being in my back yard. I would recommend Central Boiler to anyone who was interested in getting an outdoor furnace or grill.

Date created: 2016-03-16 Name: Beth Mooney
Location: Roseau, MN

"Great product!"
We have had our Central Boiler wood stove for six years now. We love it. Our electric bill is about $130 a month. Huge money saver. It heats our water - and with a family a five that is a huge cost savings. I grew up with a indoor wood stove. The indoor stoves make an extreme mess - not to mention safety issues. I love that the stove is outside - no mess and safe! Another benefit is only having to fill the stove every other day. You can leave for a weekend and not have to worry about having someone coming to fill your stove. Highly recommend Central Boiler to anyone looking for a wood stove - love it!! We would certainly purchase another one.

Date created: 2016-03-09 Name: Deb G
Location: Winner, SD

"Love it"
Love it, my husband puts wood in at 6:00 as he heads to work. He puts wood in at night when he gets home. Had the stove 2 years and I have not touched it yet. All the mess is outside, ashes, wood, etc. I used to have all that in my house and hated it. My father-in-law has the bigger one out on the farm. He's 94 and still does his own. Easy to put wood in. With propane costs, it was well worth the investment.

Date created: 2015-10-09 Location: Grand rapids, Michigan

"Popular for a reason"
I was a bit skeptical at first about the sorts of claims they make with regards to how well these units can heat your home, and how much money they'll save you overall, especially given their upfront cost and the alternative way of needing to fuel them. However, I've found that, over time, the heat provided by this furnace has been far better than any I've gotten from more traditional central heating elements and radiators. When properly fueled, it heats your house up incredibly quickly and seems to keep it warm without needing to refill it constantly, for a cost that ends up being far less than if you were relying on more traditional heating elements to do the job for you. Overall, I've been very satisfied with this unit, and would recommend it to anyone looking into making the swap to a more renewable energy source for their home, as well as an efficient heater in general.

Date created: 2015-10-03 Name: Mark Solars
Location: Jeromesville, OH

"Avoid this company!"
Avoid this company and boiler. The installer was a nurse at a local hospital who assured us he knew how to set up our boiler so that our oil boiler would activate if we were out of town for more than a day. My first clue that things were going south was when I came home from work to find the installer with two other adults studying a manual trying to figure out how to install the boiler so the oil boiler would activate in case the HF - 48 burned out of fuel. Our basement looks something like a Dr. Seuss picture with pipes and hoses going everywhere. Yikes! We've had to find another individual to service our stove since the nurse bailed out of the business. There is another individual in our area that installs/services this boiler, but he has a sordid love affair with alcohol. It never fails that every year the circulator pump fails. The company treats me like an old crank, but, like the Rolling Stones sing, "I Can't Get No Satisfaction." Central Boiler avoids taking any responsibility for their product. Every problem is deferred to their installers. If I had this to do over, I would have gotten a Hardy Boiler. Today, I attempted to activate our boiler only to discover that, again, the circulator pump failed. Make certain that you have the appropriate hot water heater. We were going through those on an annual basis until Whirlpool told us what kind of tank was required. These are only some of the problems I've had with installers and this boiler. I have an Amish fellow that services our boiler, but he never answers his phone after 7:30 A.M. It's a crap shoot as to when he will answer my phone message. By the way, have extra solenoids on hand. They have a short life expectancy. We are considering getting rid of the Central Boiler and going with another company.

Date created: 2014-12-08 Name: J Bowman
Location: Ontario, Canada

"Maintenance nightmare"
I've had trouble since day one. The aerator burns off regularly and regularly plugs between the top screw and the feed screw. I wired in a switch to isolate them, but it shuts down regularly. Restart it and it will run all day just fine and will go out over night ( the furnace is off site from my home). Service is difficult to arrange; I have been told 3 weeks for a technician. I am an electrician so we get by. We are in the third year of operation and cant wait to replace it.

Date created: 2014-10-10 Name: mikebelcher
Location: Ohio

"Bad company"
Central Boiler's dealers are not truthful. The warranty is not good at all. The dealers installed the wrong underground piping. Central boiler couldn't care less. They got their money, that's all they care about. Mike in Ohio would not tell anybody to buy this stove. Stay away from Central Boiler.

Date created: 2014-09-17 Name: Eric Snyder
Location: Riverside, IA

"Negative reviews are correct"
I have read many of the reviews with many customers revealing poor customer service from the manufacturer and complaints about the warranty. I am looking to purchase a wood burner and called to talk about the 25-year warranty. Immediately, I was asked if I had called the local dealer with the problem. I explained that I was just looking at the wood burners. I was then directed to a person who was somewhat rude. I expressed concern from the reviews and was told when you buy a car you take it to the dealer, not the manufacturer. Questions about the warranty led only to more questions in my mind about what is really covered. Asked for warranty info and was told to go to local dealer. Thanks for the reviews. I will get another brand other that Central Boiler.

Date created: 2014-09-02 Name: Aaron H.
Location: Upstate NY

"Scrap metal"
My boiler is old - 1996. But, I have always taken good care of it. The entire unit is shot! I can understand the firebox or inside of the water jacket rusting, especially of a unit 18 years old. The problem is, this unit rotted from the outside in! The entire unit is rotted under the spray foam on the outside of the water jacket. I heat a welding / auto body shop with it. Apparently, Central Boiler doesn't apply any surface coating prior to application of the spray foam. Even 2 coats of epoxy primer would have saved this unit. I was told by the dealer, "oh, well you have to drain the water in the system during the summer if you're not firing it to prevent condensation." How many people do that! Especially if you run the antifreeze! We could have and should have built our own boiler, given we have the skills and equipment. I know a lot of people will say 18 years is a long life, but you have to consider, this unit is the largest they make (pallet burner). It is a major expense to replace, over 20k. I can accept some leaks at this age, but not the entire outside of the water jacket rotted! It is unrepairable. The steel is rotted like a car; you can pull the steel apart in layers. If you didn't mind cutting your hands up, you could literally push anywhere on the unit and put a hole through it with your bare hands - no hammer required! The foam is separated from the steel water jacket.

Date created: 2014-07-18 Name: Donald Laisure
Location: kingsley

"Leaking. They say no problems"
8 year. Leaking, rusted-out door cracked. They say that does happen.