Consumer Reviews of Whirlpool water heaters

Read more about Whirlpool water heaters

Date created: 2014-10-16 Name: Ms. Z

"Bad warranty and service"
Bad customer service, bad warranty, bad quality.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: James Ferguson
Location: Golden, TX

"New Whirlpool hot water electric heater quit working. No one will fix it."
Bought a new Whirlpool hot water electric heater from Lowe's and they installed it. It worked for two days and quit heating. Numerous calls to Lowe's and Whirlpool have resulted in neither owning the problem, but having me call back and forth. The OTC button is tripping and has to be reset every few hours and it puts out scalding water when it is working. The Whirlpool factory service rep offered to come out in 33 days. When I told them this was unacceptable, they said for me to buy the parts (heating element) and replace it myself and see if that fixed it. Unacceptable for a new hot water heater. Then they told me to get a local plumber and pay him and they would reimburse me up to $100. I hung up and called Lowe's back and they said they would get back to me. Installed on 9/15/2014 and 22 days later no one has done anything, and the time between trips is getting shorter and shorter.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: jAMES wALTMON
Location: Marquez,TX

"Bad from the start"
Bought new and had trouble from the start. It started leaking at the T&P valve. I checked the water pressure after having to buy a water pressure gauge and the water pressure was okay. I then bought a new T&P valve and it still leaks. The water heater is also making a popping noise. So I called Whirlpool to see about getting it replaced, but no deal unless I go buy a pressure tank to see if that fixes the problem. In other words, I have to spend some more money on a brand new water heater that should have worked to start with. It seems funny that I didn't have that trouble with any other water heaters I installed.

Date created: 2014-09-11 Name: Shannon Adkins
Location: West Virginia

"I absolutely detest this product!"
Disgusted with this company and their crappy hot water heaters. Our water heater is less than two years old and we could not relight it. Whirlpool will find any and all loopholes to void your warranty: "Did you blink? Sorry, your warranty is no good now." So after a week of costly repairs that did not work, we are now replacing it with a reputable water heater. I will never buy another Whirlpool product. Save yourself the time, the headache and the money. Don't buy a Whirlpool.

Date created: 2014-06-11 Name: Stan heavrin
Location: Ky

"Homeowner"
Will not stay lit. Found out that there was a recall. I was not informed of the issue. Why would a company hide this from homeowners?

Date created: 2014-05-19 Name: Kari Cargle
Location: Houston, TX

"Poor Quality"
I purchased a 50 gallon tall- gas 6th sense from Lowe's on Friday May 16th. Paid to have it installed in my attic, hooked it all up, turned on the gas and it was leaking gas very bad, we were lucky we did not blow the place up. I had to uninstall it, remove it from the attic return it to Lowe's and purchase a new water heater. This one works great so far. I have emailed Whirlpool and have asked them to compensate me on the installation costs that I had to pay twice. Yet to hear from them, but in respect to them I just sent the request earlier today. I hope this all works out and the lesson I learned from this experience is maybe hook up the gas line first as once you fill it and then hook it up. It is a real pain to drain and then return for replacement.

Date created: 2014-02-09 Name: Stephanie Lerner
Location: Elgin tX

"Whirlpool 40 Gallon Electric Water Heater"
I bought a whirlpool hot water heater from Lowe's in December and, just 2 months old- it has already broken, spilled water all over my house and ruined my floors. I called Whirlpool and they told us to remove the element and replace it-when we took the element out, it was completely corroded and burned through- definitely not a part that was only 2 months old. I believe this awful company put an old part in our new machine. After many hours and phone calls with Whirlpool to have it replaced (they wanted to just give us a new part and see if that fixed it. I told them no, absolutely not, was I willing to take the chance again that it would leak and ruin my second round of floors or worse). Finally, when I started complaining that it was a safety issue and Lowe's called them on my behalf with the same concern, they agreed to replace the entire hwh, So- to sum it up: brand new hwh and I had to spend a week of my time: cleaning up my flooded closet/room, taking cold showers, hassling on the phone with wp and Lowes, driving 1.5 hours rt to return the hwh, and reinstalling the new one. Whirlpool- never again!

Date created: 2013-12-03 Name: F. Newsome
Location: Memphis , TN

"Do Not Buy A Whirlpool Water Heater"
Bought a new Whirlpool water heater at Lowes. It worked for about 8 months and started having problems with going out. Whirlpool could not repair it and they agreed to replace it. Had to replace the gas valve two years later. Then, the thermocouple went out one month later. Then the pilot went out and would not relight. It was cheaper to replace the water heater due to the cost of all of the plumbing charges. I would not buy a Whirlpool water heater.

Date created: 2012-08-12 Location: Lexington, SC

"Whirlpool 50 gallon hot water heater review."
I had to buy a new hot water heater to replace the old hot water heater in my house. The old hot water heater had been in the house since we bought it, and that was nearly 20 years ago. We bought the new hot water heater in December of 2011. I did do a little online researching before I bought this one to make sure what kind of price I was looking at. I decided to go with the Whirlpool 50 gallon that had a 6 year warranty and it was less $350.00. My husband I brought it home and had in installed in less that one hour. I was happy to say within 2 hours I was able to take a bath! I have not had any problems with the new hot water heater. In fact it heats the water faster than my old unit. I would buy this unit for my rental homes.

Date created: 2012-08-01 Location: Brooklyn, NY

"Whirlpool 28-Gallon Water Heater"
We have had the 28 gallon whirlpool heater in our apartment for about a year and a half now, and I've been pretty well satisfied with its quality! The small unit suits us just fine, since we only have one small bathroom and kitchen, however, the facilities are shared between four roommates, so quite a bit of hot water gets used here on a daily basis! Our heater has been up to the job; the water tends to stay hot long enough for a nice, long bath or shower. It will often take a little longer than I'd like for the water to get hot again after someone's just used the last of it, but for a consumer on a budget I can't complain. We've had no issues with the unit, and have never needed any sort of repairs or adjustments; I'd definitely recommend this model to someone whose situation is similar to ours!