Consumer Reviews of Whirlpool water heaters

Read more about Whirlpool water heaters

Date created: 2014-11-24 Name: Albert Simard
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

"Don't buy one"
The first water heater that I bought from Lowe's didn't work when it was installed. The installers didn't bother checking their installation and they were quite nasty. I uninstalled it myself, and Lowe's delivered a second unit which I installed myself. After 6 months, both heating units had burned out and had to be replaced, which was done under warranty. Now, just six months later, the heaters stopped working and I am trying to get them replaced again. I suspect that I will have to trash the unit and get the other brand that I have used successfully for the past 25 years. DON'T BUY ANYTHING MADE BY WHIRLPOOL

Date created: 2014-11-09 Name: Michael DeCarlo
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

"Piece of shit"
Bought a 50-gallon Whirlpool hot water heater at Lowe's and had it professionally installed 3 months ago. It is already leaking everywhere and like every other review I read, nobody wants to help. If I spend the multiple hours and several hundred dollars required to reinstall a new one, they will pay for it. The problem is, Lowe's wants me to drain the broken unit, uninstall it and then cart it all the way back to the store, all before Lowe's will give me my new unit. What a waste of time I don't have. Not to mention being without hot water all day and the expense. Whirlpool wouldn't even send someone out to look at it. Nice 12 year warranty. Plumbers want $300 and Whirlpool will only reimburse $100. I will never shop at Lowe's or buy a Whirlpool as long as I live.

Date created: 2014-11-06 Name: sharon dawber
Location: United States

"Hot water heater"
It's a piece of crap. Have to turn it up to 140 to get hot water. Don't buy this one. I gave my plumber a piece of my mind for getting this one.

Date created: 2014-10-16 Name: Ms. Z

"Bad warranty and service"
Bad customer service, bad warranty, bad quality.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: James Ferguson
Location: Golden, TX

"New Whirlpool hot water electric heater quit working. No one will fix it."
Bought a new Whirlpool hot water electric heater from Lowe's and they installed it. It worked for two days and quit heating. Numerous calls to Lowe's and Whirlpool have resulted in neither owning the problem, but having me call back and forth. The OTC button is tripping and has to be reset every few hours and it puts out scalding water when it is working. The Whirlpool factory service rep offered to come out in 33 days. When I told them this was unacceptable, they said for me to buy the parts (heating element) and replace it myself and see if that fixed it. Unacceptable for a new hot water heater. Then they told me to get a local plumber and pay him and they would reimburse me up to $100. I hung up and called Lowe's back and they said they would get back to me. Installed on 9/15/2014 and 22 days later no one has done anything, and the time between trips is getting shorter and shorter.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: jAMES wALTMON
Location: Marquez,TX

"Bad from the start"
Bought new and had trouble from the start. It started leaking at the T&P valve. I checked the water pressure after having to buy a water pressure gauge and the water pressure was okay. I then bought a new T&P valve and it still leaks. The water heater is also making a popping noise. So I called Whirlpool to see about getting it replaced, but no deal unless I go buy a pressure tank to see if that fixes the problem. In other words, I have to spend some more money on a brand new water heater that should have worked to start with. It seems funny that I didn't have that trouble with any other water heaters I installed.

Date created: 2014-09-11 Name: Shannon Adkins
Location: West Virginia

"I absolutely detest this product!"
Disgusted with this company and their crappy hot water heaters. Our water heater is less than two years old and we could not relight it. Whirlpool will find any and all loopholes to void your warranty: "Did you blink? Sorry, your warranty is no good now." So after a week of costly repairs that did not work, we are now replacing it with a reputable water heater. I will never buy another Whirlpool product. Save yourself the time, the headache and the money. Don't buy a Whirlpool.

Date created: 2014-06-11 Name: Stan heavrin
Location: Ky

"Homeowner"
Will not stay lit. Found out that there was a recall. I was not informed of the issue. Why would a company hide this from homeowners?

Date created: 2014-05-19 Name: Kari Cargle
Location: Houston, TX

"Poor Quality"
I purchased a 50 gallon tall- gas 6th sense from Lowe's on Friday May 16th. Paid to have it installed in my attic, hooked it all up, turned on the gas and it was leaking gas very bad, we were lucky we did not blow the place up. I had to uninstall it, remove it from the attic return it to Lowe's and purchase a new water heater. This one works great so far. I have emailed Whirlpool and have asked them to compensate me on the installation costs that I had to pay twice. Yet to hear from them, but in respect to them I just sent the request earlier today. I hope this all works out and the lesson I learned from this experience is maybe hook up the gas line first as once you fill it and then hook it up. It is a real pain to drain and then return for replacement.

Date created: 2014-02-09 Name: Stephanie Lerner
Location: Elgin tX

"Whirlpool 40 Gallon Electric Water Heater"
I bought a whirlpool hot water heater from Lowe's in December and, just 2 months old- it has already broken, spilled water all over my house and ruined my floors. I called Whirlpool and they told us to remove the element and replace it-when we took the element out, it was completely corroded and burned through- definitely not a part that was only 2 months old. I believe this awful company put an old part in our new machine. After many hours and phone calls with Whirlpool to have it replaced (they wanted to just give us a new part and see if that fixed it. I told them no, absolutely not, was I willing to take the chance again that it would leak and ruin my second round of floors or worse). Finally, when I started complaining that it was a safety issue and Lowe's called them on my behalf with the same concern, they agreed to replace the entire hwh, So- to sum it up: brand new hwh and I had to spend a week of my time: cleaning up my flooded closet/room, taking cold showers, hassling on the phone with wp and Lowes, driving 1.5 hours rt to return the hwh, and reinstalling the new one. Whirlpool- never again!