Consumer Reviews of Whirlpool water heaters

Read more about Whirlpool water heaters

Date created: 2015-04-12 Name: D Cunningham
Location: Sharpsville, IN

"Not a good value"
Got about two years out of this water heater, can't keep the pilot light lit. I won't buy another gas Whirlpool hot water heater.

Date created: 2015-03-27 Name: C. Taylor
Location: Golconda, Il

"Bummed"
I have had to purchase a few water heaters in my lifetime and have been satisfied until now. This Whirlpool has been trouble from the start nearly. All of the problems stem from the pressure relief valve. I called the Whirlpool service people and they said install an expansion tank and that did help for 6 or 8 months. I added air to the tank once and that helped for a while but now there is a steady of stream of water running out from the pop off valve. After reading other less than favorable reviews I don't think I will bother with the company but will be sure to avoid their products in the future. Maybe a new relief valve will work for a while longer.

Date created: 2015-03-27 Location: san diego, ca

"review of whirlpool"
We have only lived in this house for 6 months but in that time we have had no complaints about the hot water heater. The previous owners stated they owned it for 2 years with no issues so at this point i am very satisfied with the heater. While we did have to replace the natural gas line for the heater that had nothing to do with the actual heater itself.

Date created: 2015-02-26 Name: HR
Location: Michigan

"Flame guard story"
I bought a Whirlpool water heater dated November 2004. Of course it is out of warranty, but I need to share my horrible experience and tell why I will never again purchase a Whirlpool product. The thermocouple on my Flame Guard water heater (WH), needed to be replaced. This thermocouple made by Whirlpool is left-hand threaded. I guess I should have known that, and after trying to remove it for a long time I then noticed that that there was a very small tag on the thermocouple that says that it is. Okay, my bad. So I go to Lowe's where I bought it for a replacement. The guy at Lowe's says that I can only get that thermocouple from Whirlpool. He said that since Lowe's had so many problems with Whirlpool water heaters that they stocked conversion kits themselves. He would need a special number from Whirlpool. Mind you, Lowe's was willing to give me the conversion kit for free! So I go back home and call Whirlpool. Tech support said they no longer make the thermocouple and that I would need a conversion kit. I told him that I needed a number for the kit for my guy at Lowe's. The tech guy at Whirlpool didn't know what I was talking about, but he gave me the part # for the conversion kit. Question: Why would Whirlpool make a 'back threaded' that was available only from them, and then stop making it long before any of the water heaters would become outdated? So I go back to Lowe's and the guy said that was not the number he needed. So he calls Whirlpool himself and gets the number. This conversion kit was the only one that the guy at Lowe's did not have in stock. So I go back home and call Lowe's again. The conversion kit costed me about $44, including shipping. (Over night would have been about $80). And, of course, this would be on a Friday so I had to wait over the weekend during the coldest days of the winter. When the kit arrived, it was only then that I found out that while I was tightening the old thermocouple trying to remove it, I stripped the valve on the water heater. This means that now the entire valve had to be changed. That part costs $190 alone! So to make a long story short, a job that what should have cost me about $8 for a thermocouple ended up costing me $230 in parts and more in labor. In case you are wondering why I did it, this was still cheaper than the cost of a 50-gallon tank and installation by a plumber. Whirlpool just lost a customer because the bean counters don't care about people. The conversion kit should have been made available for free to any one who owns the tank warranty or not because Whirlpool knows they screwed up. Never again, Whirlpool!

Date created: 2015-01-19 Name: Jim Holmes
Location: United States

"Piece of junk"
I purchased a Whirlpool/CraftMaster water heater model N40T91-403 on September 17, 2011 at Lowe's. I had Lowe's install it. Had a Thermal Tank but it still experienced some dripping from the pressure valve. Otherwise, the tank worked fine for 3 years and 5 months. This past Saturday, Jan 17, 2015, the temp control when out after raising the temperature to the highest level. The control module started leaking with a steady stream of water after about 45 minutes. In talking to Lowe's and doing research on the issue, it seems this model has a manufacturing defect - about 1 out of every 100 has this problem after 2 years. Lowe's had three of us with problems this Saturday morning before 10 a.m. I had a local plumber replace it with another brand. I'll never buy Craftmaster again and will never buy another major appliance from Lowe's.

Date created: 2015-01-19 Name: chris dziew
Location: Knoxville, TN

"No nipples"
Basically, these days a water heater is a water heater, has a six year warranty and will fail within 12 years. If you are in apartment maintenance or a plumbing contractor, you will have two different issues. In maintenance, cost is the deal; so when I buy 20 water heaters I want cheap ones that will last ten years. One bad drawback for Whirlpool is they do not include nipples, and if you use supply lines instead of hard copper and you are buying a whirlpool because it cost less than its competitor by 5 dollars, you will have to buy 5 dollars worth of nipples. For a plumber, it's different - he gets to charge you for the nipples, so it will be good for his pocket. I've had one Whirlpool out of 30 fail before 6 years, and even then the company didn't back its warranty. Same with a GE, though its company didn't back its warranty.

Date created: 2014-12-05 Name: William Vail
Location: Cookeville,TN

"Not too pleased"
I installed my new Whirlpool water heater using new CPVC male adapters. The cold water leaked where I connected to the water heater. I used another fitting, this time stainless steel. It leaked again. I tried the third time with another new stainless steel fitting. It leaked again. I called Whirlpool. I was told to try a steel flex line, which wouldn't be any different than the stainless steel fitting I connected to the water heater with. I was told that if that didn't work, I should go and buy new nipples to replace the ones that came on the water heater. I asked if that was covered under the warranty and was told no, because the nipples were a plumbing accessory and not under the warranty. I told them I was disappointed (to put it mildly). Now, after reading all the other troubles with Whirlpool water heaters, I am dreading what the future will be with this water heater. I will not buy any thing Whirlpool again because their warranty seems to be fleeting, at best.

Date created: 2014-11-24 Name: Albert Simard
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

"Don't buy one"
The first water heater that I bought from Lowe's didn't work when it was installed. The installers didn't bother checking their installation and they were quite nasty. I uninstalled it myself, and Lowe's delivered a second unit which I installed myself. After 6 months, both heating units had burned out and had to be replaced, which was done under warranty. Now, just six months later, the heaters stopped working and I am trying to get them replaced again. I suspect that I will have to trash the unit and get the other brand that I have used successfully for the past 25 years. DON'T BUY ANYTHING MADE BY WHIRLPOOL

Date created: 2014-11-09 Name: Michael DeCarlo
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

"Piece of shit"
Bought a 50-gallon Whirlpool hot water heater at Lowe's and had it professionally installed 3 months ago. It is already leaking everywhere and like every other review I read, nobody wants to help. If I spend the multiple hours and several hundred dollars required to reinstall a new one, they will pay for it. The problem is, Lowe's wants me to drain the broken unit, uninstall it and then cart it all the way back to the store, all before Lowe's will give me my new unit. What a waste of time I don't have. Not to mention being without hot water all day and the expense. Whirlpool wouldn't even send someone out to look at it. Nice 12 year warranty. Plumbers want $300 and Whirlpool will only reimburse $100. I will never shop at Lowe's or buy a Whirlpool as long as I live.

Date created: 2014-11-06 Name: sharon dawber
Location: United States

"Hot water heater"
It's a piece of crap. Have to turn it up to 140 to get hot water. Don't buy this one. I gave my plumber a piece of my mind for getting this one.