Consumer Reviews of Whirlpool water heaters

Read more about Whirlpool water heaters

Date created: 2015-09-29 Location: Mercedes, TX

"Great Performer"
I've had this water heater for 3 years now. This replaces my old Whirlpool which lasted me 19 years with no problems. The heating elements on the old one needed replacing, but I decided to get this model because it was smaller and would definitely use less electricity than the old one. The way I use it, it does not use much electricity at all. First of all, I have the temperature set to 115 degrees. My work takes me away from home about half of the time. During this usually one week absence, I turn it off. When I return home, I turn it on and the water for my shower is ready in half an hour except for the winter. And the installation was easy. I have always tried to use the Whirlpool brand for my appliances. It is a very reliable brand. In three years, I have not had any problems with it. I expect this to possibly be the last water heater I will ever need.

Date created: 2015-09-24 Location: Memphis, TN

"Great water heater at a great price"
I had to replace my water heater a year ago because our old one developed a massive leak. We ended up getting the Whirlpool E50R6-45. It was the same size as our last water heater which was 50 gallons. We decided to install it ourselves which turned out to be really easy. This thing is great! It seems like we never run out of hot water anymore and it seems really quiet. My son sleeps right next door to it and it has never bothered him. The water can get super hot and is easily adjustable with the electronic panel. We haven't had any problems and it seems very well built. The price was right too. Sure you don't get a super long warranty, but we extended that by buying it at Lowe's and getting 5 more years added on to the 6 for a small price. I would happily buy this model again.

Date created: 2015-08-06 Name: theresa white
Location: Sandusky, OH

"Hot water heater"
I bought this water heater in 2012 with a 6-year warranty. Well, the pilot light keeps shutting off and no codes are showing up. I called Craftmaster's 800 number that is on my tank and they sent me an email with video on how to check what is wrong with it. Honestly, I don't care what's wrong with it, I want a new one. They told me they only cover the parts, that I would have to pay labor. Ah no, I just paid $400.00 for this water tank 3 years ago . They said I'd have to pay for parts and labor and they would send me the money for the parts since their service man was over 90 miles away. So curious, I called around and was told that at least the service call and labor would be $300.00. Why in God's name would I pay $300.00 when for another $100.00 I could buy a brand new one. Never again will I buy one of their products again! It's only been 3 years; they should have to replace the tank, period. Oh yeah, and this is the second time it's been replaced in 9 years.

Date created: 2015-07-17 Location: Linden, VA

"Reliable water heater - never a cold shower."
We have owned our Whirlpool water heater since we moved into our house two years ago. I have taken a lot of showers in my life and have always experienced the cold water towards the end of my shower. However, with this water heater, I can take my 45-60 minute showers and never have the cold water at the end of my shower. This water heater is also great on saving energy. Compared to previous water heaters at other houses, our electric bill is much lower. I have no complaints with this water heater. Even after 2 years, we have never had to repair anything or even replace it! I would strongly recommend the Whirlpool brand to anyone who asks; this water heater has been nothing but reliable for my family. If the time ever comes, we will buy the same brand water heater. Don't turn this brand down!

Date created: 2015-06-02 Location: St. Louis, MO

"Review of our Whirlpool water heater used as a boiler for in-floor heating"
We recently installed a new Whirlpool water heater to replace a propane gas heater that was old and not performing well. This was done last November. We have in floor hot water heat in our home and we had to adjust from gas to electric. We had a very severe winter and the heat kept up admirably. The only dislike I had was mostly due to us installing it late in the year since it took a little time for the heater to catch up, but under the circumstances, I thought it did very well. I especially like the fact that it doesn't need to vented to the outside as before. Since our building code required we have outside vents for the gas heater, we were able to plug up the vents and save on usage so that was a plus as well. I would recommend this to someone who was in the same situation, without hesitation. Our fuel bill was lower this year due to the efficiency.

Date created: 2015-05-20 Location: St. Louis, MO

"Review of our Whirlpool water heater used as a boiler for in-floor heating"
We recently installed a new Whirlpool water heater to replace a propane gas heater that was old and not performing well. This was done last November. We have in floor hot water heat in our home and we had to adjust from gas to electric. We had a very severe winter and the heat kept up admirably. The only dislike I had was mostly due to us installing it late in the year since it took a little time for the heater to catch up, but under the circumstances, I thought it did very well. I especially like the fact that it doesn't need to vented to the outside as before. Since our building code required we have outside vents for the gas heater, we were able to plug up the vents and save on usage so that was a plus as well. I would reccommend this to someone who was in the same situation, without hesitation. Our fuel bill was lower this year due to the efficiency.

Date created: 2015-05-08 Location: Dallas, TX

"Whirlpool Boiler is Great and Durable"
Our family replaced our home's water heater a few years ago after the previous one busted. I like that it is simple and visually sleek. Unlike our previous water heater, it doesn't look like it's going to break down any minute - the design is very modern seeming. In addition, it doesn't make obnoxious noises like the previous one. Because of its large capacity, it can accommodate a full house easily. I think the exact capacity is about 50 gallons. We have never had any problems with running out of hot water, or issues using different sources all at the same time. The installation was easy as well and did not take much time. It is also energy efficient. So far, there have been no negatives or any problems. Although we have not had any repair issues, the warranty lasts for almost ten years. When it is time to replace it, we will most probably choose Whirlpool again. It is a great affordable brand.

Date created: 2015-05-04 Name: Ray
Location: Lawton, OK

"Useless warranty"
I bought a Whirlpool hot water heater from Lowe's in 2009. It came with a 9-year inner tank and parts warranty. In April, 2015,the pilot light would not stay lit. After attempting to clean it per users manual, we gave up and called Whirlpool warranty. Went through cleaning details again and then we were told to call their 1-800 repair number. After multiple calls getting the required authorization number that Whirlpool failed to provide, we were informed that they could send a repair person out in a week to check the heater at a cost of $99. If parts were needed we could then contact Whirlpool and pay to have the warranty parts shipped (cost unknown). Once we received the parts, we would have to reschedule a visit from the repair people at an additional cost of $99. So no water heater for up to 3 weeks, and have to pay $200 plus for warranty service. We replaced it with a different model. We will not buy any Whirlpool product ever again.

Date created: 2015-04-26 Name: S. Stone
Location: Orlando, FL

"Incredible difference on day one!"
Did my research, wanted to get a bigger electric tank-style water heater as I have a 5-bedroom home, before they aren't around anymore (government change would mandate a hybrid over 50 gallons, and the payback is not there). My current heater was a 14-year old Rheem 65-gallon, never drained, never had a problem - but we didn't realize what we were missing until we bought the Whirlpool 80-gallon Energy Smart with a 12-year warranty! First off, the finish is gorgeous; second, the touch-screen led is extremely user-friendly. Third, it comes with a 12-year warranty; Fourth, I was able to get the heater and install it for $950 total, including tax, compared to around $2500+ for the hybrid of the same size. Fifth, it cranked right up; we set it to 120 and had water within the hour - took a bath, and it was so hot I had to add cold water for the first time in years. I can't speak to energy savings or longevity yet, but so far, we're more than happy with this purchase - especially because the whole thing was under $1000. You can spend the extra $1500 for a hybrid and hope you get the payback in 7 years...I'll take this one.

Date created: 2015-04-12 Name: D Cunningham
Location: Sharpsville, IN

"Not a good value"
Got about two years out of this water heater, can't keep the pilot light lit. I won't buy another gas Whirlpool hot water heater.