Consumer Reviews of Whirlpool water heaters

Read more about Whirlpool water heaters

Date created: 2016-08-15 Name: K Openbrier

"Disappointed in Whirlpool and Lowe's"
Installed water heater, it would not get hot. Called the help line and changed several parts, but no help. I wanted to take it back but Lowe's won't take it. I'm not the first one that this has happened to. I will never buy a thing from Lowe's again!

Date created: 2016-08-05 Name: Robert
Location: Ventura, CA

"Buyer beware. Why I will never again buy a Whirlpool water heater."
I purchased a Whirlpool water heater from Lowe's for a rental house. The tenant called and told me it sounded like it would explode. The installer confirmed the unit appeared to be defective and turned it off. A label on the water heater states not to return it to the store where it was purchased but to call Whirlpool for repair at 877-417-4750. Whirlpool was called. They refused to send a repair person to inspect or repair the water heater until I first proved that it was properly installed with a county permit! They couldn't care less that the tenant was left without hot water. Whirlpool could have easily verified that it was properly installed by sending a repair person and honoring their warranty. I replaced the water heater with a unit from a local hardware store that takes it back and will replace it if it fails during the warranty. I asked the manager at Lowe's to intercede. After a month of calling Lowe's the manager told me Whirlpool stonewalled him. Lowe's had me return the defective unit to the store and gave me a store credit. It was clear to me that Whirlpool had no intention of honoring their warranty obligations. I hope this review saves others from a similar experience.

Date created: 2016-07-28 Name: Mr.Thomas Riccio
Location: Windsor, CT

"Complaint on water heater"
I bought a new Whirlpool 40 gallon gas water heater at Lowe's approximately 6 years ago for a backup on my 5 year old water heater because I am a disable Marine, 80 years old, and my wife also has medical problems. We always need hot water for our needs.This is a 9-year warranty heater but the serial number states it was built in 2006, which the first Whirlpool rep told me when I bought it. I said I bought it no more than 6 years ago and he said I bought it in 2006, which is when is was made, not bought. First lie. The next rep I talked to said he could help me if my plumber could tell him that it could not be fixed, and he would call him at the number I gave him. My plumber waited 2 hours, no call. Lie number two. I called the 3rd rep and was told that the warranty was from 2006, not when I bought it [no receipt,] tough s--t and would do nothing for me. This was a brand new heater made in America and I could not get $5 off for another heater. Went to Home Depot and bought a new Rheem 40 gallon heater, works perfect the first try. Whirlpool's water heater will be the last thing I will ever buy from them, and they have the worst customer service ever.

Date created: 2016-07-04 Name: K Jones
Location: Indianapolis, IN

I installed a 40 gallon water heater less than 2 years ago and the pilot will not stay lit. After finding out that I could not find any parts at the local store I decided to call a plumber. After talking to three different plumbers all telling me that they would have to order the part from Whirlpool to fix the problem and it would probity fail again in a year or two, their recommendation was to take the loss and replace it with a different brand. I purchased a new Rheem water heater and installed it yesterday. It is sad when a plumber thinks I should replace it and not have him fix it! I will never purchase a Whirlpool product again.

Date created: 2016-06-26 Name: Linda
Location: Parkville, MD

"Crap"
Have had it 2 weeks. Today I went downstairs and my basement is flooded. Naturally every f-n part is not under warranty. Never will I buy this brand ever again.

Date created: 2016-06-10 Name: Christine McKay
Location: Atlanta, GA

"Bad product - look for the YouTube video"
In 2013 installed an N30S61-303. Had to replace the gas valve under warranty a 2nd time. Labor costs to do this is high, I'm out $500 after paying over a thousand. I think this product is a lemon, and if there is a class action lawsuit, I want to participate.There was a YouTube video on the problems with this model. You can't put it on the high range - it breaks it. It is impossible to tell if the pilot is lit. You have to be on your belly and crank your head - totally ridiculous. Wonder if the plumber gets a kick back for installing it.

Date created: 2016-05-31 Location: Melbourne , Fl

"My new hot water heater"
We have had this hot water heater for roughly six months, we got it when our ten-year-old Bosch sprung a leak. I like the higher energy efficiency of the Whirlpool as well as the smaller container size (width) of this unit. It provides more usable space in the garage. It is very quiet as compared to our old unit and seems to produce the water faster at temperature. Unfortunately if I have to replace this unit I will need to get a bigger tank size, as the 50 gallons just doesn't seem to be enough . As an example: no one has used any hot water, going to take a bath, and halfway through the tub fill up the water is cool coming out of the faucet. While it most likely was my mistake when purchasing the unit, I was forced to work with the funding I had at the time. Thus the fifty gallon tank. Now if I had to replace this unit I would go with the Whirlpool again as it was fairly easily to install (just heavy). I would, however, get a bigger tank which has a larger gallon capacity.

Date created: 2016-05-29 Name: R Clegg
Location: Rhode Island

"Be very aware"
My customer was told by a woman at customer service and some guy named Mike D. at Whirlpool to get a plumber to evaluate his leaking water heater after six years on a nine-year warranty. I found that the heater was leaking from the inside of the tank and was told that I, after 30 years of being a plumber, did not know what I was talking about. I was told that if the water is shut off to the tank and the tank stops leaking the warranty is no good. I would not buy a Lowe's or Home Depot heater if they were giving them away.

Date created: 2016-05-19 Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Dover, OH

"Never buy Whirlpool, they are not helpful and do not stand behind products!"
We have had 2 80 gallon tanks in 2 years. I would never, ever recommend this brand of tank, as the helpline does not want to reimburse any money and all they give is lip service!

Date created: 2016-05-16 Location: Graceville, Fl

"water pump goes cold"
We have owned our water heater for about six months. I like that it is smaller and it fits nicely in our laundry room. I wish it heated water faster and lasted longer. With a family of five hot water goes rather quickly in our household. We can usually only do one load of laundry or take one to two showers before it goes cold. Also sometimes we have difficulties completing the dishes before running out of hot water. I have never had to repair it yet, thank goodness. I would buy the same brand again but maybe buy a larger model, or a wall mounted one. Depending on what my friend was looking for and their family size I would probably recommend it to my friend but I would also have to warn them of my discrepancies with this size and model. Overall I think this water heater was a good buy for the price.