Consumer Reviews of Whirlpool water heaters

Read more about Whirlpool water heaters

Date created: 2017-05-30 Name: N. Wenning
Location: Dallas, TX

"The worst equipment and service"
In February 2017, purchased the top of the line, 50 gallon gas water heater for approx. $800.00, along with 12 year warranty and paid $500.00 for installation. From the outset, it produced a loud humming sound, like a tornado warning alert siren or a cargo freight ship' horn, so loud it rattles the decorative plates on the wall outside of the closet where it is housed. Also, has dripping sounds like there is an internal leak and banging sounds like a tin/metal object being heated up. During a call to the Service department, we were informed that this was normal operating sounds, the siren sound was due to the poorly designed external Honeywell product and it pertains to the gas shooting under the burners to light them!! Three of their service representative companies were provided for us to call in a service call. Two of the service companies didn't answer their phone, 3rd vendor didn't service in the Dallas area. Just discovered YouTube videos of other owners revealing the same sounds we have experienced. If the product was free we wouldn't keep it - horrible, horrible hazard.

Date created: 2017-05-26 Name: R. Hunt
Location: Denison, TX

"Whirlpool Scam"
Bought a new Whirlpool water heater in 2009 with a 6 year warranty. In January 2015 the tank ruptured. It was still under warranty so I took it back to Lowe's and they replaced it with a new one. The only difference was the new one had a Honeywell valve and thermostat which has an electronic igniter and the ability to give you a code if there is a problem to let you know what the problem is. After 2 years it turned itself off and gave me a code 4 for the reason (which means it overheated and shut itself down). I did some research and found out this is a very common thing for Honeywells to just shut down for no reason and almost always give a code 4 for the reason and when it shuts down the memory card locks up with no way to reset it. The only thing you can do is install a new one. I called Lowe's and was almost immediately transferred to Whirlpool where I was informed that the warranty was expired. I told her that I had only had it for 2 years and she said the 6 year warranty was from the date of the original heater and I didn't get a new 6 years on the replacement heater but she would be glad to sell me a new thermostat for $240 plus shipping and handling. I hung up and went to my local plumbing supply and asked if they had one. He just laughed and said "we've got a shelf full of them, let me guess you got a code 4".He also informed me that it was the biggest piece of junk they had ever seen. He then sold me one for $153. Took me 15 minutes to install and has been working for about a week. Can't believe Whirlpool doesn't know about this problem and why they continue to use them on their product. Whirlpool used to be a trusted and reliable name but like a lot of companies now days making a dollar overrules quality and customer service.

Date created: 2017-04-21 Name: K Flint
Location: Oxnard, CA

"Nothing but problems"
Installed first water heater from Lowes around 4 years ago. Two years later the water heater started to combust outside of the tank. Would also shoot flames from the gas jet. I called the 800 number which connected me to American water heater. They gave me an "RA" number for a new heater. I am now having the same problem again. Very dangerous water heater. Stay away. I also had the same problem at a friend's house. He installed the same unit and it too started exploding with exterior flames. He called the fire department who red tagged the unit.

Date created: 2017-03-16 Name: Linda Romero
Location: Albuquerque, NM

"Waterheater not working Again"
Purchased the water heater at Lowes 3 years ago and already we have had to replace the gas valve Twice! With the house full of company this weekend we are scrambling to make it work. Each time it breaks its another $100. +. Very irritated! I thought Whirlpool was a quality product! Ugh!

Date created: 2017-01-18 Name: S Shelby
Location: Madison, IL

"Do not buy!"
Bought a Whirlpool 50 gallon gas water heater from Lowes. Took it home and opened it and found it damaged. My installer told me to be leery of the brand due to numerous problems he had after installing them in rental properties. Told me he had problems with the ignition system. I returned the water heater and told the manager of Lowes of my installer's concerns. He assured me that the problems had been fixed and I took another. It was installed and the pilot light would not stay lit. Calls to the tech center failed to rectify the problem. Had to take it back out and was given a full refund. Do not buy. There was another at the service desk when I took the 2nd one back, piece of junk, shame on you Whirlpool!

Date created: 2017-01-01 Name: Michelle Staley
Location: Ashland, KY

"Whirlpool 50 gal electric heater"
I bought this unit after the original unit in the house I purchased broke down. This unit is total junk....worst customer service and product experience I've ever experienced since being a home owner. The first replacement unit never produced hot water. We contacted Whirlpool who, after several hours of phone calls and transfers, sent a Sears technician out to take a look. The technician verified that the electrical and plumbing components had been properly installed in addition to checking that the house electrical supply was sufficient, and it was. Turns out the unit had a faulty heating element. We drained and unhooked the unit and returned it to the store, where a replacement unit was received. We installed the 2nd new unit, which worked for 5 weeks. At this point hot water suddenly just stopped. We checked the unit and noticed that an electrical fire had started near the upper thermostat...the area that the manufacturer pre-wires. We shut the breaker to the unit off and had an electrician check all electrical components (both on the house again and the unit). The electrician verified that everything had been properly connected/installed...this time the unit had a faulty thermostat. After all the labor & money spent getting 2 units installed, uninstalled, drained...etc., Whirlpool refused to provide any type of restitution and stated that we would have to return the unit again and get a 3rd one. Unbelievable. I will never buy another Whirlpool product again. What a shame they've made of a brand name I once believed to be one of the best.

Date created: 2016-12-09 Name: Henry Parker
Location: 31069

"On good junk"
Quit working in about 1yr. Whirlpool was of no help at all.

Date created: 2016-11-03 Name: m. English
Location: Texas

"Consumer"
Will never by this brand again. Junk, junk, junk. It flooded my house when it was almost 6 years old! It had a 6 year warranty. I replaced it with a Rheem.

Date created: 2016-10-16 Name: Bartlett McMillan
Location: Gainesville, GA

"Horrible heating, horrible warranty, do not buy."
Horrible heating. Horrible warranty. Do not buy! Lowe's won't warranty the product and the company gives you the run around and does nothing. Piece of junk.

Date created: 2016-10-14 Name: dawne diorio
Location: Bloomington, IN

"Company bad, product bad"
Not made by Whirlpool, so brand name means nothing! American Water Heater will not stand by their product. Mine was not even 5 years old and completely broke needing the "brain" that runs it completely replaced. Still on warranty so the part was free but after requests to customer service, emails, and a mailed letter to the CEO requesting plumber's bill reimbursed they didn't even respond! Horrible to make something that failed in 5 years; piece of junk. So sorry I didn't get something else but I trusted the brand name. Never again.