Consumer Reviews of Whirlpool water heaters

Read more about Whirlpool water heaters

Date created: 2017-01-01 Name: Michelle Staley
Location: Ashland, KY

"Whirlpool 50 gal electric heater (Model # E50HG-45110)"
I bought this unit after the original unit in the house I purchased broke down. This unit is total junk....worst customer service and product experience I've ever experienced since being a home owner. The first replacement unit never produced hot water. We contacted Whirlpool who, after several hours of phone calls and transfers, sent a Sears technician out to take a look. The technician verified that the electrical and plumbing components had been properly installed in addition to checking that the house electrical supply was sufficient, and it was. Turns out the unit had a faulty heating element. We drained and unhooked the unit and returned it to the store, where a replacement unit was received. We installed the 2nd new unit, which worked for 5 weeks. At this point hot water suddenly just stopped. We checked the unit and noticed that an electrical fire had started near the upper thermostat...the area that the manufacturer pre-wires. We shut the breaker to the unit off and had an electrician check all electrical components (both on the house again and the unit). The electrician verified that everything had been properly connected/installed...this time the unit had a faulty thermostat. After all the labor & money spent getting 2 units installed, uninstalled, drained...etc., Whirlpool refused to provide any type of restitution and stated that we would have to return the unit again and get a 3rd one. Unbelievable. I will never buy another Whirlpool product again. What a shame they've made of a brand name I once believed to be one of the best.

Date created: 2016-12-09 Name: Henry Parker
Location: 31069

"On good junk"
Quit working in about 1yr. Whirlpool was of no help at all.

Date created: 2016-11-03 Name: m. English
Location: Texas

"Consumer"
Will never by this brand again. Junk, junk, junk. It flooded my house when it was almost 6 years old! It had a 6 year warranty. I replaced it with a Rheem.

Date created: 2016-10-16 Name: Bartlett McMillan
Location: Gainesville, GA

"Horrible heating, horrible warranty, do not buy."
Horrible heating. Horrible warranty. Do not buy! Lowe's won't warranty the product and the company gives you the run around and does nothing. Piece of junk.

Date created: 2016-10-14 Name: dawne diorio
Location: Bloomington, IN

"Company bad, product bad"
Not made by Whirlpool, so brand name means nothing! American Water Heater will not stand by their product. Mine was not even 5 years old and completely broke needing the "brain" that runs it completely replaced. Still on warranty so the part was free but after requests to customer service, emails, and a mailed letter to the CEO requesting plumber's bill reimbursed they didn't even respond! Horrible to make something that failed in 5 years; piece of junk. So sorry I didn't get something else but I trusted the brand name. Never again.

Date created: 2016-09-22 Name: Ruby Ballesteros
Location: Tyler, TX

"Hopeless"
I got my water heater installed 3 years ago. Now it stopped performing, will no longer heat water. According to the knob it gives me choices, hot to a,b,c, very hot, I should be able to use either one of these. I hate it. Not a quality product. This company is looking for cheap products to sell for high dollar.

Date created: 2016-08-31 Name: W Twitchell
Location: Indianapolis, IN

"Control valve failure"
Purchased the unit in May of 2012. In 3 years the control valve went bad. I am a service technician of 25 years and was given the runaround from Lowe's and Whirlpool. There are no local service or warranty centers to get parts so you have to wait days for shipping or pay more money for expedited shipping on a warranty item. I will no longer use Lowe's or Whirlpool and rather than staying with a known issue I installed a new water heater of a different brand.

Date created: 2016-08-27 Name: K. Toni
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"Worthless 12-year American/Whirlpool warranty: Lowe's needs to find a new supplier"
Honeywell Controller is a high failure rate item, so American and their partners such as Whirlpool & Sears look for any excuse to not honor the warranty (see other reviews for confirmation). In our case we had a 12-year warranty with 3 years labor. The controller locked up(no gas to pilot) just after 3 years, so I just wanted a replacement part. There is not just one call center, I was connected to two different call centers on the same day and had to send photos to 3 different email addresses. They will only talk on the phone and will not put a response in an email or letter. On the phone they would not even discuss the actual broken part. The final excuse in this case is I told them is was installed by Lowe's in a closet that connects to a bathroom (see other reviews for other excuses). This was a permitted installation with a signed off certificate of occupancy indicating it was compliance with local codes. The local code that was applied is that there was plenty of ventilation and no bathroom fan which can pull fumes down the gas chimney. Printed on the water heater it says local codes are the requirement, but they claimed local codes don't matter even though the water heater is labelled ".. must be installed in accordance with the applicable local plumbing and/or building code(s) and/or regulations or in their absence, with the latest issue of the National Fuel Gas Code z223.1" Lowe's sent a plumber over to take a look and he had no idea what American/Whirlpool were talking about. He and Lowe's said they would get American/Whirlpool to send the parts and they would install. However, American//Whirlpools would not provide the parts to them either. We called Lowe's after 2 days with no contact and Lowe's refused to stand up for their installation and supplier to fix or replace the water heater. After negotiation, Lowe's is allowing us to replace at their cost. So not totally happy with Lowe's either. I will be writing to their corporate office to ask them to stop selling this product for their own good.

Date created: 2016-08-20 Name: Jen
Location: Orange County, CA

"Repeated control box failure/replacement"
Installed the model NU40T121-403 in March 2011. Calling for my 4th replacement of the control box today. When the control box is working, I'm satisfied with the unit. However, when I have to order a new control box, deal with no hot water while it's being shipped (or pay for overnight shipping fees), then pay for a plumber to install it on average every 15 months, it's not worth it. Why has this control box unit not been recalled or fixed by this point?! Will never by another Whirlpool again.

Date created: 2016-08-15 Name: K Openbrier

"Disappointed in Whirlpool and Lowe's"
Installed water heater, it would not get hot. Called the help line and changed several parts, but no help. I wanted to take it back but Lowe's won't take it. I'm not the first one that this has happened to. I will never buy a thing from Lowe's again!