Consumer Reviews of Whirlpool water heaters

Read more about Whirlpool water heaters

Date created: 2017-04-21 Name: K Flint
Location: Oxnard, CA

"Nothing but problems"
Installed first water heater from Lowes around 4 years ago. Two years later the water heater started to combust outside of the tank. Would also shoot flames from the gas jet. I called the 800 number which connected me to American water heater. They gave me an "RA" number for a new heater. I am now having the same problem again. Very dangerous water heater. Stay away. I also had the same problem at a friend's house. He installed the same unit and it too started exploding with exterior flames. He called the fire department who red tagged the unit.

Date created: 2017-03-16 Name: Linda Romero
Location: Albuquerque, NM

"Waterheater not working Again"
Purchased the water heater at Lowes 3 years ago and already we have had to replace the gas valve Twice! With the house full of company this weekend we are scrambling to make it work. Each time it breaks its another $100. +. Very irritated! I thought Whirlpool was a quality product! Ugh!

Date created: 2017-01-18 Name: S Shelby
Location: Madison, Il

"Do not buy!"
Bought a Whirlpool 50 gallon gas water heater from Lowes. Took it home and opened it and found it damaged. My installer told me to be leery of the brand due to numerous problems he had after installing them in rental properties. Told me he had problems with the ignition system. I returned the water heater and told the manager of Lowes of my installer's concerns. He assured me that the problems had been fixed and I took another. It was installed and the pilot light would not stay lit. Calls to the tech center failed to rectify the problem. Had to take it back out and was given a full refund. Do not buy. There was another at the service desk when I took the 2nd one back, piece of junk, shame on you Whirlpool!

Date created: 2017-01-01 Name: Michelle Staley
Location: Ashland, KY

"Whirlpool 50 gal electric heater (Model # E50HG-45110)"
I bought this unit after the original unit in the house I purchased broke down. This unit is total junk....worst customer service and product experience I've ever experienced since being a home owner. The first replacement unit never produced hot water. We contacted Whirlpool who, after several hours of phone calls and transfers, sent a Sears technician out to take a look. The technician verified that the electrical and plumbing components had been properly installed in addition to checking that the house electrical supply was sufficient, and it was. Turns out the unit had a faulty heating element. We drained and unhooked the unit and returned it to the store, where a replacement unit was received. We installed the 2nd new unit, which worked for 5 weeks. At this point hot water suddenly just stopped. We checked the unit and noticed that an electrical fire had started near the upper thermostat...the area that the manufacturer pre-wires. We shut the breaker to the unit off and had an electrician check all electrical components (both on the house again and the unit). The electrician verified that everything had been properly connected/installed...this time the unit had a faulty thermostat. After all the labor & money spent getting 2 units installed, uninstalled, drained...etc., Whirlpool refused to provide any type of restitution and stated that we would have to return the unit again and get a 3rd one. Unbelievable. I will never buy another Whirlpool product again. What a shame they've made of a brand name I once believed to be one of the best.

Date created: 2016-12-09 Name: Henry Parker
Location: 31069

"On good junk"
Quit working in about 1yr. Whirlpool was of no help at all.

Date created: 2016-11-03 Name: m. English
Location: Texas

"Consumer"
Will never by this brand again. Junk, junk, junk. It flooded my house when it was almost 6 years old! It had a 6 year warranty. I replaced it with a Rheem.

Date created: 2016-10-16 Name: Bartlett McMillan
Location: Gainesville, GA

"Horrible heating, horrible warranty, do not buy."
Horrible heating. Horrible warranty. Do not buy! Lowe's won't warranty the product and the company gives you the run around and does nothing. Piece of junk.

Date created: 2016-10-14 Name: dawne diorio
Location: Bloomington, IN

"Company bad, product bad"
Not made by Whirlpool, so brand name means nothing! American Water Heater will not stand by their product. Mine was not even 5 years old and completely broke needing the "brain" that runs it completely replaced. Still on warranty so the part was free but after requests to customer service, emails, and a mailed letter to the CEO requesting plumber's bill reimbursed they didn't even respond! Horrible to make something that failed in 5 years; piece of junk. So sorry I didn't get something else but I trusted the brand name. Never again.

Date created: 2016-09-22 Name: Ruby Ballesteros
Location: Tyler, TX

"Hopeless"
I got my water heater installed 3 years ago. Now it stopped performing, will no longer heat water. According to the knob it gives me choices, hot to a,b,c, very hot, I should be able to use either one of these. I hate it. Not a quality product. This company is looking for cheap products to sell for high dollar.

Date created: 2016-08-31 Name: W Twitchell
Location: Indianapolis, IN

"Control valve failure"
Purchased the unit in May of 2012. In 3 years the control valve went bad. I am a service technician of 25 years and was given the runaround from Lowe's and Whirlpool. There are no local service or warranty centers to get parts so you have to wait days for shipping or pay more money for expedited shipping on a warranty item. I will no longer use Lowe's or Whirlpool and rather than staying with a known issue I installed a new water heater of a different brand.