Consumer Reviews of US CRAFTMASTER water heaters

Date created: 2017-12-12 Name: Sandi
Location: Westminster, CO

"LASTED 25 YEARS!"
I don’t know how many of the reviews on here are “paid” by the competition, but here’s my experience with a U.S. Craftmaster. I bought my home in 2009. I just had my Craftmaster replaced and it was manufactured in 1992. It came with the house when I bought it and I always had hot water and no leaks. Today is December 12, 2017. I never flushed it out or drained 2-3 gallons every quarter. This is a great brand! What I’ve noticed researching for a new water heater is that none of them have good reviews on this site! Hmmmm....

Date created: 2017-11-27 Name: Jim cross
Location: Honolulu, HI

"Us craft master warranty policies"
Us craft master water heater have to be totally enclosed on all 4 sides for the warranty to be valid. If you live where it never freezes, like Hawaii, and the unit is in a semi enclosed area, fully protected from the weather, your warranty is no good. On top of that, they will not sell you repair parts like the igniter. No parts servicing. Dissatisfied customer

Date created: 2017-11-24 Name: Jeffrey Price
Location: Kenton, Ohio

"Gas hot water heater"
Our hot water heater is over 25 years old, we have been very satisfied with the unit. We live in the country and have well water that is not very good. Our country water has rust and black sulfur, so we have a system that helps take these out. We are planning to replace the unit which started to leak. I hope the new one is made as well as our old one was. Model # crguf90-4335 (The u might be a v it was hard to read the letters) Product # 0122022

Date created: 2017-11-21 Name: Randy Avery
Location: Dallas, NC

"Very disappointed"
I bought a new water heater 4 years ago. The thermostate went out and even though it had a 6 year warranty, it was void because it was in a bathroom. The man who put it in said, they do not hold up.

Date created: 2017-11-02 Name: Greg
Location: Indiana

"Never Had A Problem"
I installed a 40 gallon us Craftsmaster with a 9 year warranty self cleaning gas hot water heater in December 1999 and just replaced it yesterday. I replaced it not because it failed but knew I was on borrowed time so decided to change on my terms not the water heaters. I never flushed the unit or had a problem with it so based on reviews I am reading now it appears the quality of materials and or labor in assembly may have been comprised since the time I purchased. I had a insulation blanket wrapped around it and when I removed the blanket there was rust on the bottom edges so I was glad I replaced it. I replaced it with a Richmond 50 gal unit with a 6 year warranty because the 9 year warranty unit was exactly the same and cost $70 more for the extended warranty.

Date created: 2017-10-17 Name: C Hinds
Location: Brady, TX

"U.S. craftsman Water heater/Honeywell"
I've spent over a year re lighting sometimes 3 times a day so I can shower it's going in the junk pile,and no I'm done with this brand!

Date created: 2017-06-27 Name: Karen Kipgen
Location: Oklahoma City

"Heat adjustment dial"
This heater worked well for 3 years. Now when I try to adjust the water temperature....if it's too hot I move the dial down just a fraction. Then I get cool to cold water in the shower. I then move it a fraction up, I mean by that I barely touch the dial. Then it's scalding hot again! If I finally get it to a comfortable temperature, it stays okay for a couple of days, then it goes cold or hot. After reading the previous reviews, I won't even bother to contact the company, I'll just buy a new one and not this brand.

Date created: 2017-06-23 Name: JohnJ
Location: Milwaukee, WI

"What Happened?"
I noticed some rust on my shower head a couple of weeks ago so I checked the water heater and sure enough, it was leaking (small wet patch). When gathering the data to get a new one, I found that my usc, 40 gal, 34,000 btu, natural gas, direct vent unit with a 5-year warranty was installed October 8, 1997 - nearly 20 years old! I never had a problem with the gas valve shutting-off and in all the time, I only drained the tank 3 times. For disclosure, I live in Milwaukee County WI with excellent water from lake Michigan. My daughter, who works for a water treatment business that caters to municipalities told me that after the "crypto" problem we had in the early 90's, Milwaukee invested in state of the art water treatment and to this day, has some of the best water quality in the world. I digress... I read 2 pages of reviews and based on my experience - What Happened to USC? My opinion is that like most things similar, the installer (reviewer) was just an idiot and did an improper installation or had poor quality water and didn't do the tank maintenance. I'm still going to buy another USC because it exceeded my expectations, and, I'm not an idiot!

Date created: 2017-05-12 Name: Mark Tanner
Location: Tulsa, OK

"Piece of crap"
I bought a 40 gallon natural gas water heater 3 years ago and it has a 6 year warranty. The burner fails to ignite although the blinking light shows everything is working fine. After calling and getting no help from the service department because I'm not a licensed plumber. I called a licensed plumber. After doing an evaluation he determined that the gas valve was faulty. He got a reference number from us Craftmaster to get the parts from the supplier. The supplier refused to provide the parts for free to me under warranty because of past experiences with us Craftmaster. In the end I paid for all parts and labor to fix it. Their warranty is useless and the repair cost as much as the original purchase. This product is good for plumbers but terrible for consumers. I have many rental properties and buy home products almost daily but have never received as big of piece of crap as this ever.

Date created: 2017-04-05 Name: M. Crosby
Location: Utah

"Not Happy"
I purchased two 50 gallon water heaters with 9 year warranties for our new home 12 years ago. The first two heaters both went out after about 7 years, problems started after about 6 years. Now a few years later with the second set of heaters (9 year warranties on both) one has gone out and I am going through the exact same process. The first time I replaced the heaters the parts started to fail and after a year of dealing with faulty parts and replacing them the tanks failed. Looks like I am starting this process all over again. Customer service is not the best. You have to call many times and get mad before they seems to want to replace things. Looks like I need to start looking for something not made by us Craftmaster.