Consumer Reviews of US CRAFTMASTER water heaters

Date created: 2017-06-27 Name: Karen Kipgen
Location: Oklahoma City

"Heat adjustment dial"
This heater worked well for 3 years. Now when I try to adjust the water temperature....if it's too hot I move the dial down just a fraction. Then I get cool to cold water in the shower. I then move it a fraction up, I mean by that I barely touch the dial. Then it's scalding hot again! If I finally get it to a comfortable temperature, it stays okay for a couple of days, then it goes cold or hot. After reading the previous reviews, I won't even bother to contact the company, I'll just buy a new one and not this brand.

Date created: 2017-06-23 Name: JohnJ
Location: Milwaukee, WI

"What Happened?"
I noticed some rust on my shower head a couple of weeks ago so I checked the water heater and sure enough, it was leaking (small wet patch). When gathering the data to get a new one, I found that my USC, 40 gal, 34,000 BTU, natural gas, direct vent unit with a 5-year warranty was installed 10/8/1997 - nearly 20 years old! I never had a problem with the gas valve shutting-off and in all the time, I only drained the tank 3 times. For disclosure, I live in Milwaukee County WI with excellent water from lake Michigan. My daughter, who works for a water treatment business that caters to municipalities told me that after the "crypto" problem we had in the early 90's, Milwaukee invested in state of the art water treatment and to this day, has some of the best water quality in the world. I digress... I read 2 pages of reviews and based on my experience - What Happened to USC? My opinion is that like most things similar, the installer (reviewer) was just an idiot and did an improper installation or had poor quality water and didn't do the tank maintenance. I'm still going to buy another USC because it exceeded my expectations, and, I'm not an idiot!

Date created: 2017-05-12 Name: Mark Tanner
Location: Tulsa, OK

"Piece of crap"
I bought a 40 gallon natural gas water heater 3 years ago and it has a 6 year warranty. The burner fails to ignite although the blinking light shows everything is working fine. After calling and getting no help from the service department because I'm not a licensed plumber. I called a licensed plumber. After doing an evaluation he determined that the gas valve was faulty. He got a reference number from us Craftmaster to get the parts from the supplier. The supplier refused to provide the parts for free to me under warranty because of past experiences with us Craftmaster. In the end I paid for all parts and labor to fix it. Their warranty is useless and the repair cost as much as the original purchase. This product is good for plumbers but terrible for consumers. I have many rental properties and buy home products almost daily but have never received as big of piece of crap as this ever.

Date created: 2017-04-05 Name: M. Crosby
Location: Utah

"Not Happy"
I purchased two 50 gallon water heaters with 9 year warranties for our new home 12 years ago. The first two heaters both went out after about 7 years, problems started after about 6 years. Now a few years later with the second set of heaters (9 year warranties on both) one has gone out and I am going through the exact same process. The first time I replaced the heaters the parts started to fail and after a year of dealing with faulty parts and replacing them the tanks failed. Looks like I am starting this process all over again. Customer service is not the best. You have to call many times and get mad before they seems to want to replace things. Looks like I need to start looking for something not made by us Craftmaster.

Date created: 2017-02-19 Name: C.Sammons
Location: Brady, TX

"US Craftmaster hot water heater"
This hot water heater is exactly what I read in other reviews....JUNK!!!! Constantly turning off and with customer support of no help, do not buy one!!!!

Date created: 2017-02-01 Name: randy
Location: Paragould, AR

"Trash"
Run with your life this is a pill of shit.

Date created: 2017-01-20 Name: CC
Location: Calhoun City, MS

"I will NEVER buy another"
Our water heater's "smart" thermostat valve developed a hole in it and started leaking through the box. It flooded my bathroom. We still had 7 months left on our warranty but because it was installed in a closet connected to the bathroom the warranty was voided. I offered to buy the part to replace it but they wouldn't even sell it to me because of where it was located.

Date created: 2017-01-04 Name: D. Obrien
Location: Lansing, MI

"Good old Craftmaster."
I just moved into an old house where everything has been breaking down or falling apart. Not surprised when I didn't have hot water, I went ahead and replaced the thermocoupler. It still wasn't working, so I got down to read what model and how old the heater was. I figured I might as well plan on replacing it, especially when I saw it had a six year warranty. I was surprised to see it was from 2002, so the hot water heater got 9 more years of use than expected. I think that makes for a pretty good deal.

Date created: 2016-10-27 Name: Christine Roberson
Location: Baltimore, MD

"Waste of money"
Worst ever. We've been without hot water more this year then we've been with it. Wouldn't recommend this product.

Date created: 2016-04-26 Name: Jan Walker
Location: Bullard, TX

"Terrible unit"
We replaced our old hot water heater approximately 2 1/2 years ago with this unit. It took the installer several hours to install because he had trouble lighting the pilot. It worked for several months, then we started having problems. The pilot kept going out. We would relight and it would work for a few days, then go out again. Now it's started going out almost daily. We've had plumbers come and troubleshoot and even replaced the gas line. We've checked everything and it all points to the hot water heater. When I called for warranty service, they would only pay for the parts if I used their service provider. They only had 2 that showed they serviced our zip code area. They were both 2 1/2 hours away. We will never purchase this brand of water heater again.