Consumer Reviews of US CRAFTMASTER water heaters

Read more about US CRAFTMASTER water heaters

Date created: 2015-01-09 Name: William K. Steele
Location: Bovey, MN

"Best water heater I've had in my long life."
When my wife and I purchased our home in northern Minnesota over 17 years ago, there was already a U.S. Craftmaster 50 gallon electric water heater installed. The appearance of the water heater and associated plumbing made us think that the heater was already several years old, and we were prepared to replace it at any time. I was inclined to drain the water heater and purchased a length of hose specifically for the task, but my wife recommended not doing anything to destabilize a working device. Under the latter philosophy, we did absolutely no maintenance to the unit for the 17 years we had it. Yesterday it finally died, probably because I withdrew too much hot water at one time to warm our septic system at our rural home during a snap of cold weather with little snow on the ground. The unit was manufactured by U.S. Craftmaster in Johnson City, Tennessee. I have no idea whether recent U.S. Craftmaster products are as good, but this heater was the best I've ever had in my 72 year life.

Date created: 2015-01-05 Name: Joe
Location: Canyon

"Bad water heater"
I get 4 blinks, which means high temperature shutoff. I can't fix it.

Date created: 2014-10-06 Name: M. Howell
Location: Corpus Christi, TX

"Taking advantage of customers"
I have had a few problems with the water heater over the ten years that I have had it. The most recent had to do with me replacing the termocouple. When I took out the assembly where the pilot light and termocouple go, the foam seal was cracking and needed to be replaced. I had to call the company to order a new one. They quoted $20 for the seal and $10 for their standard shipping fee. The seal maybe cost them $2 to manufacture and the weight of it shouldn't bring the shipping cost to $10. I believe they are taking advantage of the customer. I must say in all fairness that their customer service people have be nothing but nice to me every time I have called. The next water heater I buy won't be a Craftmaster, and I will call the company that I am buying it from to see what they charge for such items.

Date created: 2014-07-29 Name: M. Hirschman
Location: NJ

"Never again!"
I have owned Craftmaster 30 gallon hot water heater, and the only things reliable about it is trouble and aggravation. I purchased this in 2004. I have had to replace the controls, valves, wires, etc. three times in 10 years. And I'm now looking at doing it a fourth time. The design of these parts are utter crap! Cheap plastic! After replacing these parts, this hot water heater works great for a few years, then invariably starts acting up. The pilot light goes out when the heater is supposed to kick on instead. Getting the pilot light lit again, is an exercise in futility! The red "reset button" once released, immediately extinguishes the ignition flame. Supposedly, after holding it down for 1-2 minutes allowing gas to build up, it should light the coils... And if it doesn't, you're supposed to wait 10 minutes to try relighting again. You can repeat this process for 12 hours, and if you finally do get this temperamental piece of junk to light, you're lucky. Customer Service has been useless in assistance. All they want to do is send you e-mail, and get you off the phone. Not to mention, I've been told by many a rep., That the hot water heater extinguishes itself, if water is over-heated, and that it must be my fault for setting the temp too hot. Baloney. I've been told that the underside vent must be cleaned every few months, so that air flow is accurate. Makes no difference one way or the other. And recently, I've been told by a rep, that my 40yr old house likely doesn't vent exhaust out through the roof properly. This product is inferior and unpredictable. It's great when it works, and the pilot light stays lit. God forbid it ever goes out though! It is next to impossible to relight. I have spent more money on service technicians attempting to repair/replace parts, than it would have cost to simply by a new hot water heater. I miss the old days, when it was easy to light a hot water heater: Strike a match, turn the gas on, and instant hot water. No muss, no fuss. Having owned many properties w/ hot water heaters over the years, I have never encountered such repeat problems, as with this product. It's simply not reliable, and not worth the $$$. Never again, will I buy a Craftmaster Product.

Date created: 2014-07-19 Name: Wayne Hooper
Location: Big Spring, tx

"Worst Water Heater EVER"
Continues to go out. Third replacement. None of them worked right from the start. Worst water heater ever made. Customers should be reimbursed for mental anguish.

Date created: 2014-07-13 Name: C Ruiz
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Best Gas Water Heater I've Ever Owned."
Bought my first us Craftsman 40 gallon gas water heater on November 1989 and never had any issues with it until today July 13, 2014. The pilot light went out. After lighting the pilot light and one hour later, it's working light a champ. If my water heater ever stops working, I know what brand I'll buy. 25 years of service and still going strong. Best water heater I've ever owned....

Date created: 2014-01-11 Name: Bailey Dees
Location: Chickasha okla

"Gas hot water heater"
Has not worked right from the first day. I contacted the company -- all I got was 3 weeks of the run around. After 3 weeks I gave up and went and bought a different brand. It works great!!

Date created: 2013-11-11 Name: roseann g.
Location: niagara falls, ny

"Garbage"
We purchased a 40-gal. gas hot water heater, U.S. Craftmaster 3 years ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. After 4 repairs, now it appears that the gas valve needs to be replaced along with igniter switch. We called the company again for the fourth time since we have owned this tank, and they sent us a gas valve and an igniter switch. The igniter switch came with no wire attached. I have called local plumbers to have these parts installed and one plumber told me he wouldn't even come out since the tank is terrible.

Date created: 2013-07-31 Name: R. Smith
Location: Eaton Rapids, MI

"Rotten Egg Smell"
I purchased an 80 gallon electric water heater from American Water Heater in April 2013. Within a month, my hot water started smelling like rotten eggs. When I called, their service rep explained about the incompatibility of soft water and the anode rod. I purchased a replacement anode rod and installed it in June 2013. In July, my hot water again began to smell like rotten eggs. In my subsequent call to American Water Heater, the service rep again said the problem is with my softened water. He could provide no answers other than using chlorine bleach and draining the system each time the water started to smell. The water heater does a great job of heating my water, but the smell is almost unbearable to use. I am not happy that I have this problem. I thought I had done my research well, I didn't realize this problem would occur.

Date created: 2011-12-06 Location: reynoldsburg oh

"My Water Heater"
I have owned the water heater for about three years, and have not had any problems with the unit at all. I have been very happy with everything about the unit -- the water is always hot and never runs out on me or anyone else in my home. I don't have any dislikes about the unit because I have never had any problums with it. I have never had to replace anything on the unit. I would buy a US CraftMaster again if this one ever went out. Overall I would say that it's a great water heater that I would recommend to any and everyone -- they make a great product and its a good bang for your buck. It comes with a great warranty and is a quality product.