Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2012-07-25 Name: T Reber
Location: Rochester, NY

"Failed in 6 weeks"
Purchased new for $810. Unit failed after 6 weeks. Had part swapped out under warranty but it still cost me $225 in labor. Went to the state website and filled out the online form for reimbursement. Never heard anything back. A week later I called, but state would not cover the $225 in labor. State used to be quality water heaters, but State has sent manufacturing to mexico and the quality is no longer there. If you like cold showers, and paying for STATE's lack of quality control, this is the brand for you.

Date created: 2012-06-29 Location: LacduFlambeau,WI

"Hot Water Always"
We have owned this 50 gallon water heater for approximately 12 years. We got it when we bought our current home. The owner said that it was fairly new at the time we purchased. The only time that we had to have it repaired was for a new igniter. That was once in the 12 years we have owned the home. It has been extremely reliable supplying us with hot water all of the time. I think only once did we have to wait for hot water and that was when we didn't know the igniter was broken. This was when the heater was about 8 years old and it was a quick and easy repair. The repairman came out and it was fixed within 15 minutes. We have been very happy with the hot water heater because it gives us hot water and we don't have to wait for it to heat up as we have had to do with other hot water heaters that we have owned. We would definitely recommend this hot water heater to a friend because it has been very reliable. We would look to buy another one in the future. It has already outlasted the one we had in our previous home. We keep it at the low end of hot. When we have guests, we turn it up a little bit and it supplies plenty of hot water for many showers, washing more dishes, washing more clothes, etc. There is nothing that we dislike about it. How can you dislike it, when you get hot water always?

Date created: 2012-02-20 Location: Rockville, Maryland

"Powerful, but not very reliable."
We had the State gas water heater installed just two months ago. Our old water heater was 20 years old and we were getting work done in the house at the time so we decided it would be a good time to change the water heater as well. The State heater is very powerful. With our previous heater the hot water would run out fairly quickly, but this one will stay hot for what seems like forever. That said, the installation and the first month were hectic. The day after the water heater was installed we had a gas leak. We had to turn the hot water off for 4 days before we could it fixed. This may have been the fault of the contractors who did the installation, so it isn't fair to place blame on the product. Two weeks after the installation an error message saying "blocked exhaust" came up. This is a brand new heater, and we had a representative from the manufacturer make sure the installation was done correctly. They ended up solving the problem but within two weeks of owning the heater we had these two issues. Another small quirk is that after taking a shower the heater will display the tank temperature about 4 degrees higher than the temperature we set the tank to be at. I'm sure there is some brilliant engineering in this product but it seems unnecessary if the heater can't be as reliable as an older product.

Date created: 2011-12-08 Location: Cookeville, TN

"Our water heater is too small"
We've had our water heater for 2 years now. We are quite unsatified with it because the hot water runs out in the middle of washing dishes(we wash our dishes by hand). We can get a few things washed and put on the rack, but that's about it for 30 minutes. Also, taking showers is a problem. Usually we only have time to wash our bodies, then the water runs cold. I think it probably needs repairing, replacement, or has sediment in the bottom that has built up over time. I do like that it's small and doesn't take up too much space in the closet in which it was installed. I don't think I would recommend getting the water heater we currently have. It's capacity is too small and it's not very energy efficient. Like I stated previously, the problems we're currently having with it are most likely due to the heater needing a specific repair, like a new heating element or just to be drained to rid it of sediment.

Date created: 2011-05-12 Location: Tahlequah, OK

"State Censible is Small but Reliable"
The water heater in my one bedroom rental is a State brand "Censible" water heater. This particular water heater is about half the size of a regular household water heater. Probably due to its small size, it heats very quickly but the hot water only lasts for about one 20 minute shower at most. It works out ok for one person but if you have two people sharing the unit, you have to wait about 30 minutes to an hour after one person takes a shower before someone else can take a shower. I have had this water heater in my rental for about three years but the age of it is closer to ten years. I have not had any maintenance or repair issues with the water heater so I would say it is pretty reliable. I also assume that it is more efficient than a larger water heater because of its small size. As this type of water heater goes, I would say the State Censible is a good reliable model.

Date created: 2011-04-19 Location: Sun City Center, Florida

"Electric Water Heater"
I have had the water heater since 2004 when I purchase the house it was then a year old. It is very efficient, on the minimum setting most of the year. This the 2nd State Ind electric water heater I have owned the other was in Denver, Co I had it for 10 years had no problems and it went with house I sold. I have never had a problem with my current water heater and with my previous good luck do not expect any problems with it. The only thing I dislike about it is that the tank is not as large capasity as I would like..when I have company, my son and daughter in law an their kids we do run out of water with all the laundry and baths ect. however it is fine the rest of the time but I would like at least if it were part time solar. I would not hesitate to recomend a State Ind Electric Water heater to anyone

Date created: 2011-03-24 Location: Houston

"State Water Heaters : A Customer review"
I have been using State censible 510E water heater for about 2 years since I moved to this new apartment. It is manufactured by State Industries and it has been a reliable and efficient one for all the time I have been using it. I would rate this at 9 on the scale of 10. I good thing about this water heater is it has never been encountered any problems or any leaks under any circumstances like power fluctuations or over usage. It is 100% shock proof. This is a very good water heater for a residential household limited to the usage. I would dislike this heater only of its capacity, it would drain out all the hot water if it has been continuously used for 20 mins. Considering the power consumption this water heater has been very economical. Otherwise it is the best I can recommend to my friends. I would not go this brand again as there are many other best brands in market which would deliver much better than this water heater.

Date created: 2010-09-28 Name: V. Cales
Location: Lafayette, IN

"It's sufficient"
I bought this house 3 years ago & have no idea as to the age of our water heater. We don't keep it on high. Just enough to take a warm shower. Have had no problems with it, so guess that's a good thing. Just hoping that it is energy efficient.

Date created: 2010-09-10 Name: Pat Krasnowski
Location: Tolono, IL

"Mrs"
It actually is a State Censable but that wasn't on your list. It was purchased when the house was built in 1988 and still runs great.