Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2013-05-07 Name: L. Madsen
Location: Southern Iowa

"Working Since 1988, May She Rest in Peace!"
Just thought I'd pass it on. Our State 56 gal. electric water heater just sprung a leak. Live on a farm with hard water, never drain or flush it and only had to replace the elements once,(which we did ourselves). Hope the next one is just as reliable!

Date created: 2013-05-04 Name: Kelly
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

"Unreliable, Did not Honor Warranty, Parts not Available"
As a Property Manager, I deal with a lot of water heaters. I installed a State 50 gallon residential at one of our bigger residence on a recommendation from a local plumbing shop. It has an electronic (self-powered) gas valve with an enclosed combustion chamber. Looks cool out of the box, but that's where it stops. After 8 months, we had a pressure spike caused by the city that my old PRV couldn't handle and caused the T&P valve to release on the water heater(as it should). However, after dealing with the PRV the water heater would not light. The only way to light it was through a 90-second light sequence using a piezoelectric starter switch. Realizing it's less than a year old, and the starter has only been used 1 time, it should probably work. Well, after 3 calls to customer service from me and about the same from my plumber it still would not start. State was not going to pay for the plumber, nor where they going to replace the unit under warranty. If I boxed it up and shipped it back they may warranty it. Seems reasonable, leave the tenant without water for a month while State decides if they are going to replace their $600 water heater. A quote from customer service "If the water shows signs of water damage we won't warranty it." A water heater should probably be resistant to some water I think. You could fully submerge an old Rheem water heater and it would work fine once it dries out. This one gets a spray from the T&P valve and the whole thing has to be thrown out? Not a good design and I'm sure a common cause for failure. This may be a more efficient water heater, but it is not more reliable, and you won't save money or reduce your carbon footprint by buying one, since you will be sending a lot of them to the dump. On another note in Salt Lake City, there is one guy, and one plumbing distribution store that can warranty items for you (but still doesn't know anything about them).

Date created: 2013-03-30 Name: Mike Miller

"Keep having to wire brush thermocouple"
Constantly have to wire brush thermocouple to get hot water. I understand this is a very common issue. Will not buy State again!!!

Date created: 2013-02-18 Name: Craig O'Neil
Location: Lancaster, PA

"40 Gallon Gas Water heater"
I have the original model 40 nov to 40 gal 40000 btu gas water heater since 1992 and it is till going strong. My question is if I buy same or equivalent one would it be made same quality as then???

Date created: 2013-02-03 Name: Carol Pate
Location: Channelview, TX

"Built in 1981"
I just had to have my State water heater replaced. It was manufactured in 1981, so it lasted over 30 years. So, when it broke, I didn't hesitate buying another State water heater. I am very pleased with my State water heater and would buy it again. I believe that has to be a record of how long the water heater lasted. If not, it should be.

Date created: 2012-12-03 Name: Cooper sines
Location: FL

"JUNK"
This thing is 5 years old and it makes my tub cold every other night. It sucks!

Date created: 2012-11-28 Name: Ross
Location: Manistee, MI

"50 Gal electric"
This electric hot water heater was installed on Feb 22, 1989. It's starting to be a little slow in the recovery area. I don't know about the quality of State now, but my experience with a my water heater that has lasted almost 24 years tells me they made a good product at one time.

Date created: 2012-11-09 Name: J Sampson
Location: CA

"Worst Heater Ever"
I purchased a State Water Heater 2 years ago and it has already failed! I am now out several more thousand dollars and State is not honoring their 10 year warranty. Two different plumbers told me they make horrible products. Do not buy their heaters!

Date created: 2012-10-26 Name: K Scharf
Location: Frederick, MD

"DO NOT BUY THESE WATER HEATERS"
I have a State 75 gallon water heater and I will never buy one again. My water heater stopped working this morning and when I called a plumber out to fix it, I found out that there was a recall on my model. More importantly, the entire inside of my water heater is burned because of a Manufacturer - State - defect. The burner flashed back into the body of the water heater and burned the inside of the heater, the outside gas control module, and the values. I am very, very lucky that my entire house didn't burn down because of this. Then, when I contacted State about having it fixed... 1 - It will take 3 business days just to ship me the parts; 2 - I have to have one of their contracted installers install it; and 3 - They will not reimburse me for the plumbing costs for the very nice person who came out and figured this all out for me. So, now I have no hot water for at least 4-5 days (or more since today is Friday) and then I have to pay the $300+ to the plumber who was the only person who helped me with this issue. Don't do it. Buy anything else.

Date created: 2012-10-10 Name: C ROGERS
Location: MILLSBORO DE

"VERY DISGUSTED WITH STATE WATER HEATER"
Bought this water heater 3 years ago and have had the plumber here every year and sometimes more. so far state has replaced the wire harness, the blower motor and the gas valve and still having problems. they will not replace this defective water heater. they will send new parts but now I have to pay for the labor. ii've now written a letter to the better business bureau and to the states attorney generals office. they need to give me a new water heater.