Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2013-09-20 Name: J. Hill
Location: St. Joseph, MO.

"Needed Constant Repairs - Very Unreliable"
We purchased a 40 gallon gas water heater in February of 2008. In January of 2010, it stopped heating. After trying to relight it with no success in it staying lit, we had the first of multiple service calls to replace parts. The Thermocouple was first, then igniters, then more thermocouples. I would arrive home from work late at night and start to shower, only to find there was no hot water on occasions that became much too regular. The thing was only two years old. I didn't want to spend the hundreds it would cost to replace it, but I'm sure we eventually spent more than that on service calls. After more than 2 years of on again off again hot water, we finally replaced it in 2012 with a Richmond brand tank and have had no problems. I would never buy another State water heater and do not recommend them.

Date created: 2013-06-01 Name: Gary Suhadolnik
Location: Strongsville, Ohio

"Bad News on the New Tank"
My plumber installed my State hot water tank today on Saturday and it does not work, the control is defective. I am now without any hot water until Monday at the earliest. State, you make a real bad product.

Date created: 2013-05-20 Name: J. Smolucka
Location: Munster IN

"Pilot Light Won't Stay On"
My State water heater is garbage! It's 3 years old this month. Have to light my pilot twice a day. Used to be wow just once a month. I have been doing this for the past year. Just love getting up extra early to light and wait for hot water. Garbage!

Date created: 2013-05-17 Name: Jerry Gresham
Location: Atlanta Ga

"Zero Warranty Poor Product"
I had a State water heater under warranty. It stopped working so I called the plumber that installed it. When he arrived he called State tech dept. and they told him to replace several parts, which he did. The next day no hot water! I called State customer no service and spoke to a very argumentative rep, so I ask for a supervisor. All I wanted is to have the unit replaced under warranty. I was told that the warranty was only if the tank leaked, not if it quit working. After my third day of cold water I purchased different brand of water heater and ow have hot water again. I would NOT recommend a State unit to anyone!

Date created: 2013-05-16 Name: Colleen Walker
Location: Lindsborg, Kansas

"Hot Water Heater with Heat Pump"
We always have no hot water. Constantly have to unplug it and plug it back in. We are on our second one in 4 years. The same thing happens every time. It will not stay lit even with replaced parts. These are the biggest pieces of junk ever made. Will never buy again and have nothing good at all to say.

Date created: 2013-05-12 Name: S. Taylor
Location: Henderson, NC

"Just Made it Pass the Warranty"
My State hot water heater came with a six-year warranty. At five and a half years, the entire burner assembly went out. I called up customer service and they sent a replacement burner assembly at no cost. I replaced it myself and worked fine. A year later the tank began leaking. It is obvious State manufactures the heaters to only last the length of the warranty. If you are looking to buy a water heater you can depend on for many years I wouldn't recommend a State. Replaced my old one with a Whirlpool today and an extended warranty from Lowe's. Hoping for a long life. Time will tell.

Date created: 2013-05-07 Name: L. Madsen
Location: Southern Iowa

"Working Since 1988, May She Rest in Peace!"
Just thought I'd pass it on. Our State 56 gal. electric water heater just sprung a leak. Live on a farm with hard water, never drain or flush it and only had to replace the elements once,(which we did ourselves). Hope the next one is just as reliable!

Date created: 2013-05-04 Name: Kelly
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

"Unreliable, Did not Honor Warranty, Parts not Available"
As a Property Manager, I deal with a lot of water heaters. I installed a State 50 gallon residential at one of our bigger residence on a recommendation from a local plumbing shop. It has an electronic (self-powered) gas valve with an enclosed combustion chamber. Looks cool out of the box, but that's where it stops. After 8 months, we had a pressure spike caused by the city that my old PRV couldn't handle and caused the T&P valve to release on the water heater(as it should). However, after dealing with the PRV the water heater would not light. The only way to light it was through a 90-second light sequence using a piezoelectric starter switch. Realizing it's less than a year old, and the starter has only been used 1 time, it should probably work. Well, after 3 calls to customer service from me and about the same from my plumber it still would not start. State was not going to pay for the plumber, nor where they going to replace the unit under warranty. If I boxed it up and shipped it back they may warranty it. Seems reasonable, leave the tenant without water for a month while State decides if they are going to replace their $600 water heater. A quote from customer service "If the water shows signs of water damage we won't warranty it." A water heater should probably be resistant to some water I think. You could fully submerge an old Rheem water heater and it would work fine once it dries out. This one gets a spray from the T&P valve and the whole thing has to be thrown out? Not a good design and I'm sure a common cause for failure. This may be a more efficient water heater, but it is not more reliable, and you won't save money or reduce your carbon footprint by buying one, since you will be sending a lot of them to the dump. On another note in Salt Lake City, there is one guy, and one plumbing distribution store that can warranty items for you (but still doesn't know anything about them).

Date created: 2013-03-30 Name: Mike Miller

"Keep having to wire brush thermocouple"
Constantly have to wire brush thermocouple to get hot water. I understand this is a very common issue. Will not buy State again!!!

Date created: 2013-02-18 Name: Craig O'Neil
Location: Lancaster, PA

"40 Gallon Gas Water heater"
I have the original model 40 nov to 40 gal 40000 btu gas water heater since 1992 and it is till going strong. My question is if I buy same or equivalent one would it be made same quality as then???