Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2014-12-24 Name: E. Palacios
Location: Dallas, TX

"My experience with State Water Heaters"
Reading the reviews online I felt I needed to add to the info given. My house was a spec house so I would not expect top of the line equipment installed. Nevertheless, I have two State units and they have performed flawlessly for over 17 years with no maintenance. I know it's time to replace them, that's how I ended up on this website. So, Made in America, Tennessee product..go State!

Date created: 2014-11-19 Name: K P
Location: Michigan

"Lasts 1 year"
Our plumbing company was asked to replace a commercial 385,000 BTU unit at an apartment complex. We chose State. The unit had to be specially manufactured and was delivered in two weeks. The first unit failed within a few months, leaking through a welded seam. The manufacturer claimed the problem may have been due to a lack of an expansion tank. The original heater had been there over 12 years without one. An expansion tank was installed along with a new state heater, under warranty for the heater but not labor. 1 year later this heater failed, leaking along a seam. It was under warranty. A new heater was delivered 2 weeks later and installed, again with no labor covered. This heater was required to have a yearly inspection of the anodes. Taking the top off the heater, there are 4 anodes. Because of how they manufactured the heater 2 of the anodes had metal manufacturing hooks bent over the rods. Calling State, we were given the go ahead to saw these off just to inspect the anodes. While the anodes were fine, 2 months later this heater failed. The 3-year commercial warranty was up - 3 heaters in 3 years. The customer will have to pay for a new heater. We will never used another State commercial heater.

Date created: 2014-11-07 Name: Wayne Keen
Location: Huntsville, TX

"Relatively new and fails"
4 Flashes and failure. I reviewed computer blogs to find out the design flaw. The part was free from Honeywell, but labor was expensive for a 15-minute job. Ridiculous. State should find a different heater valve than Honeywell, or at least provide the labor along with the part gratis.

Date created: 2014-11-05 Name: Tom H
Location: Columbus, OH

"Very disappointed"
I had a State Premier unit installed in Spring of 2010. Over the last four years, it's frequently stopped providing hot water and none of the various plumbing contractors, who ostensibly "know" State products, could resolve the issue. Today (a mere four and half years later) I'm having it replaced with another brand that rates much higher with consumers.

Date created: 2014-10-14 Name: Michael Knox
Location: Midlothian, IL

"Top notch"
After reading all these reviews, I just had to add one. My State was installed in October 1997 and is still going strong. I'm experiencing an occasional blast of brown water, which has been determined to be from a rusty hot water nipple. I'm going to replace the nipple and considering also putting in a new heater while I'm at it. Otherwise, this one may not hold up after being operated on.

Date created: 2014-10-13 Name: Mike D
Location: Zionsville, IN

"Unsatisfied"
My first State water heater lasted 5 years and the water tank leaked all over the house. They replaced the unit with a "new" water heater which cost $770 in labor and it is now not working, 3 years and 10 months later. Of course, the warranty is not valid because they do not warranty "replacement models." This time the control is malfunctioning. That's a $900 fix. This company does not stand behind their product.

Date created: 2014-10-09 Name: UKIMOK
Location: Cedar Lake, IN

"Bad unit, and even worse company to do business with"
To set the context, I live in a $750k house that is two years old. I say that to point out that things were not done cheaply and we did not cut corners when we built. That said, we did not specify the manufacturer of our heater. We clearly should have. We trusted what the plumber put in, and it was not a cheap big box unit so we thought we were okay. Within a month, the heater was leaking. We called the plumber, and they came out and replaced the unit. Now, about 20 months later, the unit is mysteriously going to vacation mode, so when we go to take a shower, the water is lukewarm and runs out. My wife called, and the 'service technician' is rude to her to start off with. After cutting her off in mid-sentence as she tries to explain what is happening, he informs her it is probably something 'her husband' (that's me) can fix. Then he says it is likely because of the gas supply shutting off the pilot. He reminds her that even though it's under warranty, we will have to pay for the labor. Then he sends her an article online that instructs me how to fix it. So I get home, and bring up the article (because the heater has broken again and my daughter cannot take a shower). I read the article and it describes a situation completely different than what we are seeing. So, not only do they expect me to fix their faulty heater by doing this procedure that "I can probably do', they clearly could not be bothered to listen to my wife. So, I have the wrong article and cannot fix the issue. This is an awful company and I hope they soon go out of business so others will not be duped into using their products. I wish I had investigated this before we installed one.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: Casey
Location: Dayton, OH

"State water heaters"
As I was doing research, I found this site. I am a plumber from Dayton, Ohio and I have installed about every top name heater in the market. I also run a company that installs roughly 30-50 heaters a month. We also, about two years ago, switched from Bradford to State due to the amount of leaking heaters out of the box. One of my fellow plumbers and I got to tour State Heater In Ashland City, TN in early October 2014. The research State's team provides to make sure plumbers, homeowners, commercial customers, and anyone who buys, installs, or touches a State product was, to say the least, outstanding! I can say as a plumber I will personally never use, install, or sell any product other than State. Due to the fact that I have, seen with my own eyes, that this company takes steps to make sure the product they produce is the best on the market.

Date created: 2014-09-23 Name: Mark
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

"Still working"
Had mine installed when the house was built, summer of 1989. Never had a problem, still working fine.

Date created: 2014-09-15 Name: aka Don't buy me

"Bunk"
Dealer replaced 75-gallon heater. 8 months later, the pilot started going out. The dealer replaced the thermocouple. That didn't fix it. They replaced the gas valve. That didn't fix it. The dealer suggested I call the gas company to check the pressure on the gas line. The gas company asked if I could hear a click about 30 seconds after the pilot went out. Answer is yes. The gas company said it's not a gas pressure problem. They came out and checked the gas pressure. Normal range. There is no gas pressure blowing out the pilot. They looked at the heater. The gas pipe at the bolt was loose and would not seat properly, causing propane to leak at the seal where thecold section of thermocouple should be. The gas company checked the seal by sparking a match at the seal point where the orifice bolt connects to the orifice. It caught on fire because propane was coming out. It was improperly sealed. The plumbers are not convinced the orifice doesn't have enough threading to seat the orifice properly. The plumbers are replacing the entire heater.