Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2014-10-14 Name: Michael Knox
Location: Midlothian, IL

"Top notch"
After reading all these reviews, I just had to add one. My State was installed in October 1997 and is still going strong. I'm experiencing an occasional blast of brown water, which has been determined to be from a rusty hot water nipple. I'm going to replace the nipple and considering also putting in a new heater while I'm at it. Otherwise, this one may not hold up after being operated on.

Date created: 2014-10-13 Name: Mike D
Location: Zionsville, IN

"Unsatisfied"
My first State water heater lasted 5 years and the water tank leaked all over the house. They replaced the unit with a "new" water heater which cost $770 in labor and it is now not working, 3 years and 10 months later. Of course, the warranty is not valid because they do not warranty "replacement models." This time the control is malfunctioning. That's a $900 fix. This company does not stand behind their product.

Date created: 2014-10-09 Name: UKIMOK
Location: Cedar Lake, IN

"Bad unit, and even worse company to do business with"
To set the context, I live in a $750k house that is two years old. I say that to point out that things were not done cheaply and we did not cut corners when we built. That said, we did not specify the manufacturer of our heater. We clearly should have. We trusted what the plumber put in, and it was not a cheap big box unit so we thought we were okay. Within a month, the heater was leaking. We called the plumber, and they came out and replaced the unit. Now, about 20 months later, the unit is mysteriously going to vacation mode, so when we go to take a shower, the water is lukewarm and runs out. My wife called, and the 'service technician' is rude to her to start off with. After cutting her off in mid-sentence as she tries to explain what is happening, he informs her it is probably something 'her husband' (that's me) can fix. Then he says it is likely because of the gas supply shutting off the pilot. He reminds her that even though it's under warranty, we will have to pay for the labor. Then he sends her an article online that instructs me how to fix it. So I get home, and bring up the article (because the heater has broken again and my daughter cannot take a shower). I read the article and it describes a situation completely different than what we are seeing. So, not only do they expect me to fix their faulty heater by doing this procedure that "I can probably do', they clearly could not be bothered to listen to my wife. So, I have the wrong article and cannot fix the issue. This is an awful company and I hope they soon go out of business so others will not be duped into using their products. I wish I had investigated this before we installed one.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: Casey
Location: Dayton, OH

"State water heaters"
As I was doing research, I found this site. I am a plumber from Dayton, Ohio and I have installed about every top name heater in the market. I also run a company that installs roughly 30-50 heaters a month. We also, about two years ago, switched from Bradford to State due to the amount of leaking heaters out of the box. One of my fellow plumbers and I got to tour State Heater In Ashland City, TN in early October 2014. The research State's team provides to make sure plumbers, homeowners, commercial customers, and anyone who buys, installs, or touches a State product was, to say the least, outstanding! I can say as a plumber I will personally never use, install, or sell any product other than State. Due to the fact that I have, seen with my own eyes, that this company takes steps to make sure the product they produce is the best on the market.

Date created: 2014-09-23 Name: Mark
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

"Still working"
Had mine installed when the house was built, summer of 1989. Never had a problem, still working fine.

Date created: 2014-09-15 Name: aka Don't buy me

"Bunk"
Dealer replaced 75-gallon heater. 8 months later, the pilot started going out. The dealer replaced the thermocouple. That didn't fix it. They replaced the gas valve. That didn't fix it. The dealer suggested I call the gas company to check the pressure on the gas line. The gas company asked if I could hear a click about 30 seconds after the pilot went out. Answer is yes. The gas company said it's not a gas pressure problem. They came out and checked the gas pressure. Normal range. There is no gas pressure blowing out the pilot. They looked at the heater. The gas pipe at the bolt was loose and would not seat properly, causing propane to leak at the seal where thecold section of thermocouple should be. The gas company checked the seal by sparking a match at the seal point where the orifice bolt connects to the orifice. It caught on fire because propane was coming out. It was improperly sealed. The plumbers are not convinced the orifice doesn't have enough threading to seat the orifice properly. The plumbers are replacing the entire heater.

Date created: 2014-09-15 Name: R. Brooks
Location: Fort Myers, FL

"State electric condo water heater"
Have had a State condo electric water heater for 13 years. Zero problems. Replacing it now as a matter of proactive maintenance.

Date created: 2014-09-15 Name: Hilton
Location: Greensburg, PA

"I hate this company and water heater"
Every year I spend $300 for an electric control box.

Date created: 2014-06-13 Name: MiTer
Location: Near Sacramento CAL

"31 years"
This water heater was made in 1983. I have had it for many years. Friday the 13th 2014 it had a small leak on the output. It had just started to get water on the floor when I noticed it. It was a 40 gal lp water heater. Maybe I got lucky or maybe they made things better 30 years ago. I think things for the first 3 decades then on Friday the 13th 2014, then it decided to retire. Hope I can find a good one, now manufacturers make things so disposable (6 year) - like a paper cup.

Date created: 2014-06-08 Name: Aaron west
Location: Florence, ky

"Satisfied with State"
I had a State water heater installed on 6/6/11 and have had no problems with it.