Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2015-05-15 Name: MCMD
Location: Yonkers, NY

"Excellent experience with product"
Moved into new construction 18 1/2 years ago and the State gas hot water heater, 50 gallon, is still going strong! Never had a problem or maintenance need. Looking to replace it before anything happens. I'm very happy with this product.

Date created: 2015-04-13 Location: Wausau Wisconsin

"Works well, heats great!"
Although I haven't owned the water heater long, I am very satisfied with it! We have owned the heater for about a month now. I really like that the water heater is energy efficient, that is important to me. I have taken many showers in our new house and I have not run out of hot water once. We have it set to the "warm" setting on the dial and it still heats extremely well. The one thing I dislike about the heater is it seems to take awhile for it to heat the upstairs shower. I think the reason for this is the heater is in the basement and the upstairs shower is two levels above. However, once that water is warm/hot it stays warm or hot. I personally have not had to get it repaired yet, as we just moved into our new house. However, if I do have to replace it, I will most definitely buy the same brand! I would also recommend this water heater to a friend or family member.

Date created: 2015-04-08 Name: Ted Michon
Location: United States

"Awful"
Just so you know, your product and customer service were so bad, I ended up replacing my 3 year old State water heater with a new one for $1800 because I couldn't see how it was ever going to get resolved. That's after dozens of phone calls and 2 weeks without hot water! That's how little faith I have in your product and awful customer service. Thanks for nothing!

Date created: 2015-03-11 Name: Jamal Rizvi
Location: Danville, CA

"Absolute junk and lousy customer service"
Do not buy State water heaters. My first water heater went out within the first 4 years. I had to pay for an “upgrade” which is basically the same amount as a new water heater. This one went out in two years and now we are trying to get the service. It has been eight days without the hot water and we are nowhere close to resolving the issue. The customer service fellow, Allen, is a person without common sense and absolutely not helpful. Sitting in his office he has determined that the problem could be with the house or gas line but not with the water heater, while their own approved plumbing contractor has stated that the water heater needs to be replaced. These water heaters are just junk and even worse is the customer service. My advice to you all is to never buy anything made by this substandard manufacturer.

Date created: 2015-03-08 Name: R. Zimmerman
Location: Tallahassee, FL

"Poor quality water heater"
I bought a replacement water heater 15 months ago. The unit pooped out and the plumber needed to replace both thermostats and both elements! They wouldn't reimburse me for the $80 labor fee because the warranty is only 12 months. Wow...what horrible workmanship!

Date created: 2015-01-19 Name: Dave
Location: Laurel, MD

"A great water heater"
I just replaced my water heater after 18 years with the same exact unit. 18 years and it finally gave up with a small leak. I have no complaints; it's a just price for such a great product.

Date created: 2014-12-24 Name: E. Palacios
Location: Dallas, TX

"My experience with State Water Heaters"
Reading the reviews online I felt I needed to add to the info given. My house was a spec house so I would not expect top of the line equipment installed. Nevertheless, I have two State units and they have performed flawlessly for over 17 years with no maintenance. I know it's time to replace them, that's how I ended up on this website. So, Made in America, Tennessee product..go State!

Date created: 2014-11-19 Name: K P
Location: Michigan

"Lasts 1 year"
Our plumbing company was asked to replace a commercial 385,000 BTU unit at an apartment complex. We chose State. The unit had to be specially manufactured and was delivered in two weeks. The first unit failed within a few months, leaking through a welded seam. The manufacturer claimed the problem may have been due to a lack of an expansion tank. The original heater had been there over 12 years without one. An expansion tank was installed along with a new state heater, under warranty for the heater but not labor. 1 year later this heater failed, leaking along a seam. It was under warranty. A new heater was delivered 2 weeks later and installed, again with no labor covered. This heater was required to have a yearly inspection of the anodes. Taking the top off the heater, there are 4 anodes. Because of how they manufactured the heater 2 of the anodes had metal manufacturing hooks bent over the rods. Calling State, we were given the go ahead to saw these off just to inspect the anodes. While the anodes were fine, 2 months later this heater failed. The 3-year commercial warranty was up - 3 heaters in 3 years. The customer will have to pay for a new heater. We will never used another State commercial heater.

Date created: 2014-11-07 Name: Wayne Keen
Location: Huntsville, TX

"Relatively new and fails"
4 Flashes and failure. I reviewed computer blogs to find out the design flaw. The part was free from Honeywell, but labor was expensive for a 15-minute job. Ridiculous. State should find a different heater valve than Honeywell, or at least provide the labor along with the part gratis.

Date created: 2014-11-05 Name: Tom H
Location: Columbus, OH

"Very disappointed"
I had a State Premier unit installed in Spring of 2010. Over the last four years, it's frequently stopped providing hot water and none of the various plumbing contractors, who ostensibly "know" State products, could resolve the issue. Today (a mere four and half years later) I'm having it replaced with another brand that rates much higher with consumers.