Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2015-03-11 Name: Jamal Rizvi
Location: Danville, CA

"Absolute junk and lousy customer service"
Do not buy State water heaters. My first water heater went out within the first 4 years. I had to pay for an “upgrade” which is basically the same amount as a new water heater. This one went out in two years and now we are trying to get the service. It has been eight days without the hot water and we are nowhere close to resolving the issue. The customer service fellow, Allen, is a person without common sense and absolutely not helpful. Sitting in his office he has determined that the problem could be with the house or gas line but not with the water heater, while their own approved plumbing contractor has stated that the water heater needs to be replaced. These water heaters are just junk and even worse is the customer service. My advice to you all is to never buy anything made by this substandard manufacturer.

Date created: 2015-03-08 Name: R. Zimmerman
Location: Tallahassee, FL

"Poor quality water heater"
I bought a replacement water heater 15 months ago. The unit pooped out and the plumber needed to replace both thermostats and both elements! They wouldn't reimburse me for the $80 labor fee because the warranty is only 12 months. Wow...what horrible workmanship!

Date created: 2015-01-19 Name: Dave
Location: Laurel, MD

"A great water heater"
I just replaced my water heater after 18 years with the same exact unit. 18 years and it finally gave up with a small leak. I have no complaints; it's a just price for such a great product.

Date created: 2014-12-24 Name: E. Palacios
Location: Dallas, TX

"My experience with State Water Heaters"
Reading the reviews online I felt I needed to add to the info given. My house was a spec house so I would not expect top of the line equipment installed. Nevertheless, I have two State units and they have performed flawlessly for over 17 years with no maintenance. I know it's time to replace them, that's how I ended up on this website. So, Made in America, Tennessee product..go State!

Date created: 2014-11-19 Name: K P
Location: Michigan

"Lasts 1 year"
Our plumbing company was asked to replace a commercial 385,000 BTU unit at an apartment complex. We chose State. The unit had to be specially manufactured and was delivered in two weeks. The first unit failed within a few months, leaking through a welded seam. The manufacturer claimed the problem may have been due to a lack of an expansion tank. The original heater had been there over 12 years without one. An expansion tank was installed along with a new state heater, under warranty for the heater but not labor. 1 year later this heater failed, leaking along a seam. It was under warranty. A new heater was delivered 2 weeks later and installed, again with no labor covered. This heater was required to have a yearly inspection of the anodes. Taking the top off the heater, there are 4 anodes. Because of how they manufactured the heater 2 of the anodes had metal manufacturing hooks bent over the rods. Calling State, we were given the go ahead to saw these off just to inspect the anodes. While the anodes were fine, 2 months later this heater failed. The 3-year commercial warranty was up - 3 heaters in 3 years. The customer will have to pay for a new heater. We will never used another State commercial heater.

Date created: 2014-11-07 Name: Wayne Keen
Location: Huntsville, TX

"Relatively new and fails"
4 Flashes and failure. I reviewed computer blogs to find out the design flaw. The part was free from Honeywell, but labor was expensive for a 15-minute job. Ridiculous. State should find a different heater valve than Honeywell, or at least provide the labor along with the part gratis.

Date created: 2014-11-05 Name: Tom H
Location: Columbus, OH

"Very disappointed"
I had a State Premier unit installed in Spring of 2010. Over the last four years, it's frequently stopped providing hot water and none of the various plumbing contractors, who ostensibly "know" State products, could resolve the issue. Today (a mere four and half years later) I'm having it replaced with another brand that rates much higher with consumers.

Date created: 2014-10-14 Name: Michael Knox
Location: Midlothian, IL

"Top notch"
After reading all these reviews, I just had to add one. My State was installed in October 1997 and is still going strong. I'm experiencing an occasional blast of brown water, which has been determined to be from a rusty hot water nipple. I'm going to replace the nipple and considering also putting in a new heater while I'm at it. Otherwise, this one may not hold up after being operated on.

Date created: 2014-10-13 Name: Mike D
Location: Zionsville, IN

"Unsatisfied"
My first State water heater lasted 5 years and the water tank leaked all over the house. They replaced the unit with a "new" water heater which cost $770 in labor and it is now not working, 3 years and 10 months later. Of course, the warranty is not valid because they do not warranty "replacement models." This time the control is malfunctioning. That's a $900 fix. This company does not stand behind their product.

Date created: 2014-10-09 Name: UKIMOK
Location: Cedar Lake, IN

"Bad unit, and even worse company to do business with"
To set the context, I live in a $750k house that is two years old. I say that to point out that things were not done cheaply and we did not cut corners when we built. That said, we did not specify the manufacturer of our heater. We clearly should have. We trusted what the plumber put in, and it was not a cheap big box unit so we thought we were okay. Within a month, the heater was leaking. We called the plumber, and they came out and replaced the unit. Now, about 20 months later, the unit is mysteriously going to vacation mode, so when we go to take a shower, the water is lukewarm and runs out. My wife called, and the 'service technician' is rude to her to start off with. After cutting her off in mid-sentence as she tries to explain what is happening, he informs her it is probably something 'her husband' (that's me) can fix. Then he says it is likely because of the gas supply shutting off the pilot. He reminds her that even though it's under warranty, we will have to pay for the labor. Then he sends her an article online that instructs me how to fix it. So I get home, and bring up the article (because the heater has broken again and my daughter cannot take a shower). I read the article and it describes a situation completely different than what we are seeing. So, not only do they expect me to fix their faulty heater by doing this procedure that "I can probably do', they clearly could not be bothered to listen to my wife. So, I have the wrong article and cannot fix the issue. This is an awful company and I hope they soon go out of business so others will not be duped into using their products. I wish I had investigated this before we installed one.