Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2018-01-26 Name: Jean Baumeister
Location: Nebraska

"Horrible"
We bought a State water heater and it leaked just before the warranty ran out, I believe that was a little over 4 years. They did replace it. Now 4 years later it is leaking again and they will not warranty it. We are buying a new water heater, not state, after only 9 years. We have soft water so hard water should not be an issue. The average water heater should last 10-14 years. These crappy water heaters didn't last 5 years.

Date created: 2018-01-23 Name: Kay Miller
Location: Burnet, TX

"Don't buy this brand"
Don't buy a State water heater. Don't even consider it. We purchased one in July 2015, repaired it 4 times, then yesterday it totally failed and leaked water all over my beautiful hardwood floors that I'd paid a fortune for. Absolutely ridiculous the aggravation we have gone through with the darn thing. Don't buy one!
Date created: 2018-01-04 Name: william t medlin
Location: Shelby, MI

"Pilot light keeps going out."
I purchased a new mobile home on April 18, 2017 and the tank went out the first week. They put an extension on the exhaust vent and that did not work. They came back and added a pilot wind shield and that has not worked either. Still no solution and frequently no hot water.
Date created: 2017-12-09 Name: Shirish Jamthe
Location: San Jose, CA

"Stay away from state water heaters"
I have had this water heater for 5 years. This brand was selected by installer so I didn't check reviews earlier. The pilot light keeps going off. Earlier it was once a week now it is everyday. So you never have hot water when you need it. As it was under warranty they sent another part but problem persists. The contractor who selected this says they are so bad that they stopped servicing water heaters all together. go figure.
Date created: 2017-08-08 Name: D.Peck
Location: Dyer, IN

"P.O.S. water heater"
I purchase a commercial 75 State water heater installed for $2200, 3 months later, no hot water. Called the company who installed it, Got some fairy tale about a magical "puff" of wind that was able to travel 3 stories down my chimney, jump a 6" air gap and blew out my polite light. 2 months later, no hot water. Called company, started blaming State for all the issues, unable to find the problem. State doesn't stand behind their products. They are total P.O.s! State away, do not let anyone talk you into this over priced boat anchor. I'm waiting for it to blow my house off the foundation!
Date created: 2017-06-29 Name: Linda
Location: Cincinnati, OH

"They don't last"
A water heater should not spring a pin hole leak in the metal within just a few years. We have cistern water so no hard water issues. Seems their manufacturing process is junk using inferior metal and they will not stand behind their product. Don't make the mistake we did. Choose another company! (3 months out of warranty. They likely high five'd each other at the corporate office)
Date created: 2017-06-15 Name: Ankit Aggarwal
Location: Austin, TX

"Unable to update warranty registration"
Hi, I have a complaint. Company doesn't register warranty unless home owner provides HUD-1form or co. These restrictions are not helpful for new home buyers as hud-1 Form is not being used these days by all the title companies and co form is only available if the house in the flood hazard area. In my case, I can't provide both documents but provided my legal closing documents which has info of settlement date, seller/buyer info, etc. whatever needed to update the warranty registration. I can't recommend anyone to use your water heaters as the customer service is not providing any workaround. I called few times to your customer center to explain the situation but no other solution was provided. Please get out of your obsolete requirements and update your legal dept. To make changes or accept exceptions on case to case information.
Date created: 2017-06-11 Name: Hughes
Location: Indiana

"Waste of my money"
I purchased my water heater on December 29, 2012 for $1100. On June 17, 2017, I had to have it replaced because it was leaking from underneath. Yes, it was still under warranty, but the company that installed it wanted to charge me $800 to install the new one! I had already paid the company $300 to install a new pressure valve that didn't fix the problem! I called another company who said the entire process of installing a new water heater shouldn't be more than $350 including hourly rate, service call and misc parts. I finally got the other company to come down some, but they wouldn't give me another warranty on the replacement unit. I told them the only reason I let them put in another State was because the other was under warranty. We'll see how long this one lasts. At least this time I was smart enough to purchase a water heater pan so I won't have a mess to clean up when this one goes bad. 4 1/2 years and the unit went bad. Wouldn't recommend State to my worst enemy!!!
Date created: 2017-04-14 Name: cheryl gebben
Location: Algonquin, IL

"Call your State Rep to hold this company Liable."
I purchased a State premier water heater on December 2010. On April 10, 2017 I had a Complete Failure of this unit. I paid $1,600 hundred dollars for this unit not covering the cost of installation. I was told they would do anything for me because the warranty expired. I got 6 years out of a $1,600 water heater! My husband did the monthly draining of the water heater, it was installed by a qualified hvac tech. I talked to several people in Ashland City, TN they could care less would not even consider to pay half of the cost. On page 29 in the instruction manual it says the anode rod should be checked a year later after the warranty period. It didn't corrode the last 4 months! I will tell everyone that I know on the face of this earth never to buy this product!
Date created: 2017-02-25 Name: thenew3
Location: Carmel, CA

"Still going strong!"
This heater came with the house we bought 5 years ago. At the time it was already 6 years old. It's installed in a small closet outside the house with a broken door, so it was exposed to the elements for an unknown # of years. The exterior is well worn and covered in rust and animal droppings. We were prepared to have to replace it after moving into the house. To our surprise, it has been 5 years since than and the heater still works great! Very hot water (even with the temp dial turned down). 40 Gallons and it's sufficient for our family of 4. Even when we have friends and relatives staying over, it still provides plenty of hot water for everyone. (We had up to 8 folks take hot showers in addition to doing dishes and laundry and had plenty of hot water). Unit is 11 years old now and no maintenance has ever been done on it, but it provides plenty of scalding hot water. We look forward to many more years of service out of this unit.