Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2015-12-06 Name: Marvin Gardens
Location: Minnesota

"I've had good luck"
We moved into this farmhouse in 1987. In 91 or 92 I had to replace the upper element and thermostat. I would usually drain it and maybe put a little bleach in to clean it out. I was getting that rotten egg odor and was thinking about putting in a new one. I looked at the tag and this heater was made in 1980, it does have the yellow energy sticker on it and it still works. I'm gonna bleach it again to get rid of the smell and take my chances. 35 years is a long time, they probably don't build that good anymore.

Date created: 2015-12-04 Location: Statham, Georgia

"Our Hungry Water Heater"
We have had our water heater since we bought our house 11 years ago. The house was a new build, so the water heater was new at that time. The water heater does what it was designed to do. It heats water well and quickly. However, it is very expensive to run. Our household of 10 people uses a lot of hot water, and that runs our power bill way up. After about 5 years, we had to replace the top heating element. Two years later we had to replace the bottom heating element. It has worked fine since then. I would not buy this again because I would prefer an on demand water heater. I would recommend it only to a household of 1 or 2 people.

Date created: 2015-07-26 Name: William Mannaberg
Location: Illinois

"Crap"
Had to repair this thing twice and get it replaced after 4 years. Stay away.

Date created: 2015-06-23 Location: Atlanta, Georgia

"My Electric Water Heater Experience May Cause Me to Go Tankless"
I have owned the State water heater PV 40 20LSO since I have owned my home; approximately 9 years. It was originally placed inside of the property during a 1996 renovation. Overall, it has been operable for 18+ years (includes use from previous owner). I like how the water heater is electric and compact. It easily fits into the ceiling of my bathroom. For the most part, I am satisfied with its performance. My property is only 1100 square feet, so I have a mid-sized tank. The water heater steadily and swiftly warmed the water over the past 8 years; lukewarm-hot. I dislike the water heater's durability. Recently, the tank is not heating my water as much as it used to and needs to be replaced. I expected that it would last for another 5 years. I am shopping around for a new water heater and will not be purchasing another State water heater. At the moment, the Rheem tankless water heater seems to be very appealing.

Date created: 2015-06-03 Name: Michael Spink
Location: Durham, NC

Three years old and have had to adjust the temperature setting at least six times, with regular temperature fluctuations of more than 20 degrees. It's terribly inconsistent and terribly unsafe, as the water can go from 120 to 140 degrees in a span of less than 24 hours. I should have done more research to get a better product.

Date created: 2015-05-31 Name: CHRISTOPHER VAN VORCE
Location: Northern Virginia

"Product is of questionable quality"
In July of 2012 our 10-year old, A.O. Smith 50 gallon natural gas, exhaust venting water heater failed. Our plumber replaced the A.O. Smith with a State water heater. In the winter of 2015, the White-Rogers electronic thermostat (p/n 9004240005), which was obsolete at the time the unit was installed in my home, failed. The State customer service people found a replacement thermostat; however, I had to pay for shipping. State provided the replacement thermostat under the unit's warranty. In all, we were without hot water for six days. My plumber installed the new thermostat and the unit functioned normally until 5/31/2015 (today). The error code on the thermostat stated that the igniter failed to light the gas burner. Following the instruction in the manual, I attempted to re- ignite the burner; however, all attempts ended in the same error code. My plumber evaluated the unit and cannot determine if it is the electronic igniter, or the flame sensor, or the thermostat that has failed. Therefore, my plumber suggested that I order all three parts under warranty from State, which means that I'll have to pay shipping costs to get these parts from Tennessee to Northern Virginia. So now, we're at one day without hot water and counting. How much else can go wrong? I'm afraid to ask that question!

Date created: 2015-05-30 Name: John
Location: Oswego, NY

"Nothing but trouble"
Electronics are junk. I'll never buy anything State again.

Date created: 2015-05-15 Name: MCMD
Location: Yonkers, NY

"Excellent experience with product"
Moved into new construction 18 1/2 years ago and the State gas hot water heater, 50 gallon, is still going strong! Never had a problem or maintenance need. Looking to replace it before anything happens. I'm very happy with this product.

Date created: 2015-04-13 Location: Wausau Wisconsin

"Works well, heats great!"
Although I haven't owned the water heater long, I am very satisfied with it! We have owned the heater for about a month now. I really like that the water heater is energy efficient, that is important to me. I have taken many showers in our new house and I have not run out of hot water once. We have it set to the "warm" setting on the dial and it still heats extremely well. The one thing I dislike about the heater is it seems to take awhile for it to heat the upstairs shower. I think the reason for this is the heater is in the basement and the upstairs shower is two levels above. However, once that water is warm/hot it stays warm or hot. I personally have not had to get it repaired yet, as we just moved into our new house. However, if I do have to replace it, I will most definitely buy the same brand! I would also recommend this water heater to a friend or family member.

Date created: 2015-04-08 Name: Ted Michon
Location: United States

"Awful"
Just so you know, your product and customer service were so bad, I ended up replacing my 3 year old State water heater with a new one for $1800 because I couldn't see how it was ever going to get resolved. That's after dozens of phone calls and 2 weeks without hot water! That's how little faith I have in your product and awful customer service. Thanks for nothing!