Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2016-11-22 Name: D. Galor
Location: SugarLand, Texas

"Water Heater leaked"
The water heater body started leaking 4 years and 8 months after installation. The replacement of this unit while within the 6 year manufacturers warranty cost $425.00. The warranty does not cover labor and the "Warranty Fees". Very disappointed.

Date created: 2016-11-14 Name: J. Lahman
Location: Eureka, CA

"Not impressed"
My State Hybrid (Heat Pump) water heater LCD control screen failed 2 - 1/2 years after the unit was installed. The screen is important because it allows for water temp control, vacation mode, and how you want the unit to operate. The screen was under warranty, but the labor was not. When the new screen was replaced it indicated an anode fault mode. The repair man found that the wire that energized the anode rod that protects the tank from rust, had completely corroded and was not connecting. This is considered normal wear and tear and is not covered under warranty. For the price I paid for this unit, it is unacceptable that the metal used for this spade connection failed in 2 1/2 years. Waiting to hear from the repair man how much more money, I'm going to have to pay to keep the unit in shape.

Date created: 2016-11-12 Name: Sandy
Location: Florida

"STAY AWAY"
One installed in 2011, replaced in 2013 because of leakage and now in 2016, the unit literally burned out, wires etc. and I mean was literally burning. Luckily we were home. The same plumbers couldn't believe this. Run, if a plumber says State.

Date created: 2016-09-16 Name: Aaron
Location: California

"Awful service and product"
The gas control valve has gone out 5 times in 7 months after its first 2 years. The company will do nothing to help except send me a new one every time, they refuse to believe it's the water heater itself. I will never buy a State water heater again.

Date created: 2016-08-17 Name: No luck
Location: Maryland

"Unhappy customer"
Problem after problem with 2 years left on the warranty, replaced it with another brand. State was unwilling to resolve the issue.

Date created: 2016-08-08 Name: G. Matoka
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

"Hot water heater failed after 4 years - don't buy State Select"
I bought this water heater (40 gallon gas) in 2012, after my previous heater of 19 years gave out. With no warning, it stopped heating with an error code of bad controls or ignition switch. Yes, the parts were covered under warranty, but replacement labor charges were $380! Only a piece of junk gives out in 4 years. Be sure not to buy State Select.

Date created: 2016-08-01 Name: Margaret Puente
Location: Delray Beach, FL

"Electric water heater manufacturer's defect"
Had to replace it one year and one month after installing new. The tank failed due to a manufacturing defect and flooded the garage and my bedroom. I got a new water heater at no charge, but the labor for installation was $400. Company (State) refused to make even a partial contribution to labor or cleanup because it had been over 1 year since it was installed. If I had not gotten one as a replacement I would never have gotten another, and I recommend that you don't either.

Date created: 2016-07-06 Name: Upset Consumer
Location: New Mexico

"Worst heater, worst customer service"
Heater had 2 repair calls in first 6 months, it wouldn't stay lit. Had it just over a year, quit heating. Repair tech came out and replaced a panel because State wouldn't authorize replacing the burner. 4 days without hot water. Repair tech came back out and State says ship the heater back to them at our expense, and they will review it. Their local rep was not sufficient to tell them it had burned up. That's handy, no heater, my shipping costs, win/win for State. So much for a 6-year warranty. Yanked it out, replaced it with a Bradford White. Costly lesson for me.

Date created: 2016-03-24 Location: Kansas City, MO.

"It just keeps going and going and going"
We have lived in our house for 19 years and our house is 40 years old and this is the original water heater. I have never had to do any repair or maintenance on it at all except adjust the exhaust pipe. There are 6 of us living here and we rarely run out of hot water even with all of the showers. The only thing I don't like about it is that it probably isn't very efficient and it is wedged in between the furnace and a wall so when we finally do have to replace it, it is going to be tough to get out and install new one. It just sits in the basement and does its job and I don't have to worry about it. I think that is what you want when it comes to major appliances. I would definitely buy the same brand again.

Date created: 2016-03-23 Name: Jim D
Location: Ohio

"Stay far away"
Worst water heaters made. Had two in 6 years, 3 months. The first blew-up 5 days after the warranty ended and the second in three months. The company will not do a thing about it except blame it on everyone else. Do not buy this brand, you will be very sorry.