Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2017-04-14 Name: cheryl gebben
Location: Algonquin, IL

"Call your State Rep to hold this company Liable."
I purchased a State premier water heater on December 2010. On April 10, 2017 I had a Complete Failure of this unit. I paid $1,600 hundred dollars for this unit not covering the cost of installation. I was told they would do anything for me because the warranty expired. I got 6 years out of a $1,600 water heater! My husband did the monthly draining of the water heater, it was installed by a qualified hvac tech. I talked to several people in Ashland City, TN they could care less would not even consider to pay half of the cost. On page 29 in the instruction manual it says the anode rod should be checked a year later after the warranty period. It didn't corrode the last 4 months! I will tell everyone that I know on the face of this earth never to buy this product!

Date created: 2017-02-25 Name: thenew3
Location: Carmel, CA

"Still going strong!"
This heater came with the house we bought 5 years ago. At the time it was already 6 years old. It's installed in a small closet outside the house with a broken door, so it was exposed to the elements for an unknown # of years. The exterior is well worn and covered in rust and animal droppings. We were prepared to have to replace it after moving into the house. To our surprise, it has been 5 years since than and the heater still works great! Very hot water (even with the temp dial turned down). 40 Gallons and it's sufficient for our family of 4. Even when we have friends and relatives staying over, it still provides plenty of hot water for everyone. (We had up to 8 folks take hot showers in addition to doing dishes and laundry and had plenty of hot water). Unit is 11 years old now and no maintenance has ever been done on it, but it provides plenty of scalding hot water. We look forward to many more years of service out of this unit.

Date created: 2017-02-16 Name: Rudi Martens
Location: Fort Myers, FL

"Worst thing I have ever bought!"
I bought this to be pro-active with an old water heater that was working perfectly. Within less than a year it failed. The plumbing company Extreme Plumbing that sold and installed it for me would not honor the warranty and it cost me $200 to have them repair it. Four years later the thing started leaking all over the place from every seam --it had completely rusted out while still under the warranty period. Again the ladies from Extreme Plumbing in Fort Myers would do nothing for me. State Water heaters had it picked up and shipped somewhere for testing to see why it failed early. They reported that they put it under pressure and it didn't leak. They must have been testing the wrong one. They have done nothing to compensate me. Stay away from this junk at any cost. I told the "women" plumbers at the time, I had never heard of this make.

Date created: 2016-12-31 Name: M May
Location: Mishawaka, IN

"Never buy State junk again! You'll be sorry!"
Replaced numerous units after only 2 to 3 years! Absolutely ridiculous! Never buy State 40 gal. Ng water heaters.They are junk!!

Date created: 2016-12-15 Name: Michael
Location: Maryland

"Buyers beware"
Buyers beware!!! Most dangerous water out there. If you care for your life and your family do not buy any of their products under State Water Heaters or any other entity A.O. Smith Water Products. My water heater was installed less than a month ago, and caught fire. Thank God, I was home when this happened. I could have lost everything my family, my home, and our memories. When I reported the fire, they didn't even apologize or seemed like they cared. I spoke to several managers and they couldn’t care less what happened. I pleaded with them and begged them to help me to cover the cost replace their defective water heaters and the best they offer me was $100. You can keep that money and I am going to purchase something better so I don't have to fear at night that my house can catch on fire.

Date created: 2016-11-22 Name: D. Galor
Location: SugarLand, Texas

"Water Heater leaked"
The water heater body started leaking 4 years and 8 months after installation. The replacement of this unit while within the 6 year manufacturers warranty cost $425.00. The warranty does not cover labor and the "Warranty Fees". Very disappointed.

Date created: 2016-11-14 Name: J. Lahman
Location: Eureka, CA

"Not impressed"
My State Hybrid (Heat Pump) water heater LCD control screen failed 2 - 1/2 years after the unit was installed. The screen is important because it allows for water temp control, vacation mode, and how you want the unit to operate. The screen was under warranty, but the labor was not. When the new screen was replaced it indicated an anode fault mode. The repair man found that the wire that energized the anode rod that protects the tank from rust, had completely corroded and was not connecting. This is considered normal wear and tear and is not covered under warranty. For the price I paid for this unit, it is unacceptable that the metal used for this spade connection failed in 2 1/2 years. Waiting to hear from the repair man how much more money, I'm going to have to pay to keep the unit in shape.

Date created: 2016-11-12 Name: Sandy
Location: Florida

"STAY AWAY"
One installed in 2011, replaced in 2013 because of leakage and now in 2016, the unit literally burned out, wires etc. and I mean was literally burning. Luckily we were home. The same plumbers couldn't believe this. Run, if a plumber says State.

Date created: 2016-09-16 Name: Aaron
Location: California

"Awful service and product"
The gas control valve has gone out 5 times in 7 months after its first 2 years. The company will do nothing to help except send me a new one every time, they refuse to believe it's the water heater itself. I will never buy a State water heater again.

Date created: 2016-08-17 Name: No luck
Location: Maryland

"Unhappy customer"
Problem after problem with 2 years left on the warranty, replaced it with another brand. State was unwilling to resolve the issue.