Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2015-04-13 Location: Wausau Wisconsin

"Works well, heats great!"
Although I haven't owned the water heater long, I am very satisfied with it! We have owned the heater for about a month now. I really like that the water heater is energy efficient, that is important to me. I have taken many showers in our new house and I have not run out of hot water once. We have it set to the "warm" setting on the dial and it still heats extremely well. The one thing I dislike about the heater is it seems to take awhile for it to heat the upstairs shower. I think the reason for this is the heater is in the basement and the upstairs shower is two levels above. However, once that water is warm/hot it stays warm or hot. I personally have not had to get it repaired yet, as we just moved into our new house. However, if I do have to replace it, I will most definitely buy the same brand! I would also recommend this water heater to a friend or family member.

Date created: 2015-04-08 Name: Ted Michon
Location: United States

"Awful"
Just so you know, your product and customer service were so bad, I ended up replacing my 3 year old State water heater with a new one for $1800 because I couldn't see how it was ever going to get resolved. That's after dozens of phone calls and 2 weeks without hot water! That's how little faith I have in your product and awful customer service. Thanks for nothing!

Date created: 2015-03-25 Name: Greg P
Location: Madison, WI

"Not a "Censible" water heater at all"
The State Censible water heater model (75 gallon natural gas) was my nemesis. First, it was very inefficient. No electronic ignition, just a pilot flame which is on all the time. Second, the gas valve is a flawed design and was never corrected. I went through three $500 + labor gas valves on that water heater in 5 years, and the third one also died and I gave up on replacing them. The gas valve would stick, causing the power vent motor to run constantly even when the unit was not heating, which caused the third problem, the power vent motor now locked up because of running all the time because of the bad gas valves. Fourth, the unit is just over 12 years old and has been leaking for about 2 years now. The tank is completely rotted out. Fifth, the power vent mechanism was very loud, and could be heard throughout the house when it was on, which was most of the time. Finally replaced it with a Ruud and the nemesis is finally gone.

Date created: 2015-03-11 Name: Jamal Rizvi
Location: Danville, CA

"Absolute junk and lousy customer service"
Do not buy State water heaters. My first water heater went out within the first 4 years. I had to pay for an “upgrade” which is basically the same amount as a new water heater. This one went out in two years and now we are trying to get the service. It has been eight days without the hot water and we are nowhere close to resolving the issue. The customer service fellow, Allen, is a person without common sense and absolutely not helpful. Sitting in his office he has determined that the problem could be with the house or gas line but not with the water heater, while their own approved plumbing contractor has stated that the water heater needs to be replaced. These water heaters are just junk and even worse is the customer service. My advice to you all is to never buy anything made by this substandard manufacturer.

Date created: 2015-03-08 Name: R. Zimmerman
Location: Tallahassee, FL

"Poor quality water heater"
I bought a replacement water heater 15 months ago. The unit pooped out and the plumber needed to replace both thermostats and both elements! They wouldn't reimburse me for the $80 labor fee because the warranty is only 12 months. Wow...what horrible workmanship!

Date created: 2015-01-19 Name: Dave
Location: Laurel, MD

"A great water heater"
I just replaced my water heater after 18 years with the same exact unit. 18 years and it finally gave up with a small leak. I have no complaints; it's a just price for such a great product.

Date created: 2014-12-24 Name: E. Palacios
Location: Dallas, TX

"My experience with State Water Heaters"
Reading the reviews online I felt I needed to add to the info given. My house was a spec house so I would not expect top of the line equipment installed. Nevertheless, I have two State units and they have performed flawlessly for over 17 years with no maintenance. I know it's time to replace them, that's how I ended up on this website. So, Made in America, Tennessee product..go State!

Date created: 2014-11-19 Name: K P
Location: Michigan

"Lasts 1 year"
Our plumbing company was asked to replace a commercial 385,000 BTU unit at an apartment complex. We chose State. The unit had to be specially manufactured and was delivered in two weeks. The first unit failed within a few months, leaking through a welded seam. The manufacturer claimed the problem may have been due to a lack of an expansion tank. The original heater had been there over 12 years without one. An expansion tank was installed along with a new state heater, under warranty for the heater but not labor. 1 year later this heater failed, leaking along a seam. It was under warranty. A new heater was delivered 2 weeks later and installed, again with no labor covered. This heater was required to have a yearly inspection of the anodes. Taking the top off the heater, there are 4 anodes. Because of how they manufactured the heater 2 of the anodes had metal manufacturing hooks bent over the rods. Calling State, we were given the go ahead to saw these off just to inspect the anodes. While the anodes were fine, 2 months later this heater failed. The 3-year commercial warranty was up - 3 heaters in 3 years. The customer will have to pay for a new heater. We will never used another State commercial heater.

Date created: 2014-11-07 Name: Wayne Keen
Location: Huntsville, TX

"Relatively new and fails"
4 Flashes and failure. I reviewed computer blogs to find out the design flaw. The part was free from Honeywell, but labor was expensive for a 15-minute job. Ridiculous. State should find a different heater valve than Honeywell, or at least provide the labor along with the part gratis.

Date created: 2014-11-06 Name: Benson Yeaney
Location: bensonyeaney@gmail.com

"Poor to bad"
My water heater leaked on Friday morning. I called a plumber and they made it out here the same day. The problem is it's a $1300.00 piece of shit. The heater is not properly installed. I could have done a better job and I am not a plumber. I priced the same gallon heater at Home Depot and Lowe's for only $400. To make matters worse, their website cannot register online, or even be contacted online. I would not recommend this brand.