Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2018-10-18 Name: George Russell Burris
Location: New Mexico

"Not pleased, won't stay lit"
Won't stay lit and it won't stay heating up.

Date created: 2018-09-18 Name: Dawn Couture
Location: Arizona

"Water heaters suck"
Do not buy their water heaters. My water heater rusted out in less than 2 years and they tell me it only had a 1 year warranty. But if I buy another one, it will have a 6 year warranty on it.
Date created: 2018-08-30 Name: Marilyn Mooney
Location: New York

"Do not purchase."
This tank was installed in 2013. I have replaced an element and two thermostats. The parts are under warranty but the $150.00 labor charges are not. I am out $300.00 on a five year old tank. The first repair was in 2016, the second last week (2018). State will not defer any of the costs and do not stand behind their product. They just provide me with rhetoric.
Date created: 2018-07-16 Name: Johnny Ho
Location: San Francisco

"Finally a probelm, but they fixed it"
After 10 years, my pilot light went out and it got me very worried, I thought I would have to replace the whole thing. I researched YouTube and found out that the thermocouple goes out and needs to be replaced, so I bought one off of Amazon and replaced it. I found out that was not the issue. My thermocouple is still good and not broken. I called their customer service and the nice lady walked me through it. The pilot light has a reset button connected onto two red wires. All I had to do was push in the button and it worked. I also needed to clean out the black screen because there was dust blocking the vent hole that allows air to flow into the heater. I was so happy that I didn't have to shell out $700 for a heater. I'm so pleased and I'll be cleaning the vent screen more often. Thanks, State Heater.
Date created: 2018-05-31 Name: P. Bose
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

"Stay Away From State"
By far, the worst water heaters I have dealt with in my 65 years. My first one lasted three years. The unit (not labor) was replaced under warranty. The second one lasted three years. State would not warranty the second one. The plumber I used stated there appeared to be no calcium, mineral or rust build up, and they just failed. State customer service was horrible. Bought a different brand this time. Again, stay away from State.
Date created: 2018-05-10 Name: Alifiya Ali
Location: Houston, TX

"Worst company, worst water heater"
I purchased this water heater in December 2016 and in few weeks the pilot went off the installer came out and fixed it then again after a month same happened. Finally I called customer service and they said I have to call their tech to come and check but labor I have to pay or they can send me part that they think could be issue but I have to pay shipping. This is ridiculous just a way to make money. Their tech charges drive time fee as well as hourly charges. Their heater was defective from day 1 but they refused to change it and I ordered parts twice and now they are telling me to have their tech out to solve the issue but they will not pay for labor cost. Every time I order part I pay shipping and also pay someone to come and install the part for me. This company has rude and unhelpful people working for them. This heater should not even be sold and all buyers should get replacement. I am sick and tired of going up in attic everyday to turn the pilot on as now it goes off everyday. I am very unsatisfied and would not recommend to anyone. Its been almost 3 years and my problem has not been resolved.
Date created: 2018-02-17 Name: Jessie Zamora
Location: New Mexico

"19 month old water heater"
Bought a New water Heater from Samons here in Albuquerque New Mexico in May of 2016, we have had trouble with it for the last 6 months, Pilot doesn't stay on of course we have warranty but, I had to pay Shipping on a gas valve they sent me, we had it Replaced But pilot still doesn't stay on, I called State water heater Warranty Dept again and they sent a guy from Stewards Plumbing here in Albuquerque, he looked at it and made a call to our warranty dept again and they advised him "it probably needs to be cleaned" so he told my husband he would clean it for $247.00-$303.00 Lol he showed my husband how to clean it so my husband cleaned it himself which wasn't dirty at all... The pilot still doesn't stay lit I am calling State water heaters again on Monday.
Date created: 2018-01-26 Name: Jean Baumeister
Location: Nebraska

"Horrible"
We bought a State water heater and it leaked just before the warranty ran out, I believe that was a little over 4 years. They did replace it. Now 4 years later it is leaking again and they will not warranty it. We are buying a new water heater, not state, after only 9 years. We have soft water so hard water should not be an issue. The average water heater should last 10-14 years. These crappy water heaters didn't last 5 years.
Date created: 2018-01-23 Name: Kay Miller
Location: Burnet, TX

"Don't buy this brand"
Don't buy a State water heater. Don't even consider it. We purchased one in July 2015, repaired it 4 times, then yesterday it totally failed and leaked water all over my beautiful hardwood floors that I'd paid a fortune for. Absolutely ridiculous the aggravation we have gone through with the darn thing. Don't buy one!
Date created: 2018-01-04 Name: william t medlin
Location: Shelby, MI

"Pilot light keeps going out."
I purchased a new mobile home on April 18, 2017 and the tank went out the first week. They put an extension on the exhaust vent and that did not work. They came back and added a pilot wind shield and that has not worked either. Still no solution and frequently no hot water.