Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2017-08-08 Name: D.Peck
Location: Dyer, IN

"P.O.S. water heater"
I purchase a commercial 75 State water heater installed for $2200, 3 months later, no hot water. Called the company who installed it, Got some fairy tale about a magical "puff" of wind that was able to travel 3 stories down my chimney, jump a 6" air gap and blew out my polite light. 2 months later, no hot water. Called company, started blaming State for all the issues, unable to find the problem. State doesn't stand behind their products. They are total P.O.s! State away, do not let anyone talk you into this over priced boat anchor. I'm waiting for it to blow my house off the foundation!

Date created: 2017-06-29 Name: Linda
Location: Cincinnati, OH

"They don't last"
A water heater should not spring a pin hole leak in the metal within just a few years. We have cistern water so no hard water issues. Seems their manufacturing process is junk using inferior metal and they will not stand behind their product. Don't make the mistake we did. Choose another company! (3 months out of warranty. They likely high five'd each other at the corporate office)

Date created: 2017-06-15 Name: Ankit Aggarwal
Location: Austin, TX

"Unable to update warranty registration"
Hi, I have a complaint. Company doesn't register warranty unless home owner provides HUD-1form or co. These restrictions are not helpful for new home buyers as hud-1 Form is not being used these days by all the title companies and co form is only available if the house in the flood hazard area. In my case, I can't provide both documents but provided my legal closing documents which has info of settlement date, seller/buyer info, etc. whatever needed to update the warranty registration. I can't recommend anyone to use your water heaters as the customer service is not providing any workaround. I called few times to your customer center to explain the situation but no other solution was provided. Please get out of your obsolete requirements and update your legal dept. To make changes or accept exceptions on case to case information.

Date created: 2017-06-11 Name: Hughes
Location: Indiana

"Waste of my money"
I purchased my water heater on December 29, 2012 for $1100. On June 17, 2017, I had to have it replaced because it was leaking from underneath. Yes, it was still under warranty, but the company that installed it wanted to charge me $800 to install the new one! I had already paid the company $300 to install a new pressure valve that didn't fix the problem! I called another company who said the entire process of installing a new water heater shouldn't be more than $350 including hourly rate, service call and misc parts. I finally got the other company to come down some, but they wouldn't give me another warranty on the replacement unit. I told them the only reason I let them put in another State was because the other was under warranty. We'll see how long this one lasts. At least this time I was smart enough to purchase a water heater pan so I won't have a mess to clean up when this one goes bad. 4 1/2 years and the unit went bad. Wouldn't recommend State to my worst enemy!!!

Date created: 2017-04-14 Name: cheryl gebben
Location: Algonquin, IL

"Call your State Rep to hold this company Liable."
I purchased a State premier water heater on December 2010. On April 10, 2017 I had a Complete Failure of this unit. I paid $1,600 hundred dollars for this unit not covering the cost of installation. I was told they would do anything for me because the warranty expired. I got 6 years out of a $1,600 water heater! My husband did the monthly draining of the water heater, it was installed by a qualified hvac tech. I talked to several people in Ashland City, TN they could care less would not even consider to pay half of the cost. On page 29 in the instruction manual it says the anode rod should be checked a year later after the warranty period. It didn't corrode the last 4 months! I will tell everyone that I know on the face of this earth never to buy this product!

Date created: 2017-02-25 Name: thenew3
Location: Carmel, CA

"Still going strong!"
This heater came with the house we bought 5 years ago. At the time it was already 6 years old. It's installed in a small closet outside the house with a broken door, so it was exposed to the elements for an unknown # of years. The exterior is well worn and covered in rust and animal droppings. We were prepared to have to replace it after moving into the house. To our surprise, it has been 5 years since than and the heater still works great! Very hot water (even with the temp dial turned down). 40 Gallons and it's sufficient for our family of 4. Even when we have friends and relatives staying over, it still provides plenty of hot water for everyone. (We had up to 8 folks take hot showers in addition to doing dishes and laundry and had plenty of hot water). Unit is 11 years old now and no maintenance has ever been done on it, but it provides plenty of scalding hot water. We look forward to many more years of service out of this unit.

Date created: 2017-02-16 Name: Rudi Martens
Location: Fort Myers, FL

"Worst thing I have ever bought!"
I bought this to be pro-active with an old water heater that was working perfectly. Within less than a year it failed. The plumbing company Extreme Plumbing that sold and installed it for me would not honor the warranty and it cost me $200 to have them repair it. Four years later the thing started leaking all over the place from every seam --it had completely rusted out while still under the warranty period. Again the ladies from Extreme Plumbing in Fort Myers would do nothing for me. State Water heaters had it picked up and shipped somewhere for testing to see why it failed early. They reported that they put it under pressure and it didn't leak. They must have been testing the wrong one. They have done nothing to compensate me. Stay away from this junk at any cost. I told the "women" plumbers at the time, I had never heard of this make.

Date created: 2016-12-31 Name: M May
Location: Mishawaka, IN

"Never buy State junk again! You'll be sorry!"
Replaced numerous units after only 2 to 3 years! Absolutely ridiculous! Never buy State 40 gal. Ng water heaters.They are junk!!

Date created: 2016-12-15 Name: Michael
Location: Maryland

"Buyers beware"
Buyers beware!!! Most dangerous water out there. If you care for your life and your family do not buy any of their products under State Water Heaters or any other entity A.O. Smith Water Products. My water heater was installed less than a month ago, and caught fire. Thank God, I was home when this happened. I could have lost everything my family, my home, and our memories. When I reported the fire, they didn't even apologize or seemed like they cared. I spoke to several managers and they couldn’t care less what happened. I pleaded with them and begged them to help me to cover the cost replace their defective water heaters and the best they offer me was $100. You can keep that money and I am going to purchase something better so I don't have to fear at night that my house can catch on fire.

Date created: 2016-11-22 Name: D. Galor
Location: SugarLand, Texas

"Water Heater leaked"
The water heater body started leaking 4 years and 8 months after installation. The replacement of this unit while within the 6 year manufacturers warranty cost $425.00. The warranty does not cover labor and the "Warranty Fees". Very disappointed.