Consumer Reviews of State water heaters

Read more about State water heaters

Date created: 2018-05-31 Name: P. Bose
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

"Stay Away From State"
By far, the worst water heaters I have dealt with in my 65 yrs. My first one lasted 3 yrs. The unit (not labor) was replaced under warranty. The second one lasted 3 years. State would not warranty the second one. The plumber I used stated there appeared to be no calcium, mineral or rust build up & they just failed. State customer service was horrible. Bought a different brand this time. Again, stay away from State.

Date created: 2018-05-10 Name: Alifiya Ali
Location: Houston, TX

"Worst company, worst water heater"
I purchased this water heater in December 2016 and in few weeks the pilot went off the installer came out and fixed it then again after a month same happened. Finally I called customer service and they said I have to call their tech to come and check but labor I have to pay or they can send me part that they think could be issue but I have to pay shipping. This is ridiculous just a way to make money. Their tech charges drive time fee as well as hourly charges. Their heater was defective from day 1 but they refused to change it and I ordered parts twice and now they are telling me to have their tech out to solve the issue but they will not pay for labor cost. Every time I order part I pay shipping and also pay someone to come and install the part for me. This company has rude and unhelpful people working for them. This heater should not even be sold and all buyers should get replacement. I am sick and tired of going up in attic everyday to turn the pilot on as now it goes off everyday. I am very unsatisfied and would not recommend to anyone. Its been almost 3 years and my problem has not been resolved.
Date created: 2018-02-17 Name: Jessie Zamora
Location: New Mexico

"19 month old water heater"
Bought a New water Heater from Samons here in Albuquerque New Mexico in May of 2016, we have had trouble with it for the last 6 months, Pilot doesn't stay on of course we have warranty but, I had to pay Shipping on a gas valve they sent me, we had it Replaced But pilot still doesn't stay on, I called State water heater Warranty Dept again and they sent a guy from Stewards Plumbing here in Albuquerque, he looked at it and made a call to our warranty dept again and they advised him "it probably needs to be cleaned" so he told my husband he would clean it for $247.00-$303.00 Lol he showed my husband how to clean it so my husband cleaned it himself which wasn't dirty at all... The pilot still doesn't stay lit I am calling State water heaters again on Monday.
Date created: 2018-01-26 Name: Jean Baumeister
Location: Nebraska

"Horrible"
We bought a State water heater and it leaked just before the warranty ran out, I believe that was a little over 4 years. They did replace it. Now 4 years later it is leaking again and they will not warranty it. We are buying a new water heater, not state, after only 9 years. We have soft water so hard water should not be an issue. The average water heater should last 10-14 years. These crappy water heaters didn't last 5 years.
Date created: 2018-01-23 Name: Kay Miller
Location: Burnet, TX

"Don't buy this brand"
Don't buy a State water heater. Don't even consider it. We purchased one in July 2015, repaired it 4 times, then yesterday it totally failed and leaked water all over my beautiful hardwood floors that I'd paid a fortune for. Absolutely ridiculous the aggravation we have gone through with the darn thing. Don't buy one!
Date created: 2018-01-04 Name: william t medlin
Location: Shelby, MI

"Pilot light keeps going out."
I purchased a new mobile home on April 18, 2017 and the tank went out the first week. They put an extension on the exhaust vent and that did not work. They came back and added a pilot wind shield and that has not worked either. Still no solution and frequently no hot water.
Date created: 2017-12-09 Name: Shirish Jamthe
Location: San Jose, CA

"Stay away from state water heaters"
I have had this water heater for 5 years. This brand was selected by installer so I didn't check reviews earlier. The pilot light keeps going off. Earlier it was once a week now it is everyday. So you never have hot water when you need it. As it was under warranty they sent another part but problem persists. The contractor who selected this says they are so bad that they stopped servicing water heaters all together. go figure.
Date created: 2017-08-08 Name: D.Peck
Location: Dyer, IN

"P.O.S. water heater"
I purchase a commercial 75 State water heater installed for $2200, 3 months later, no hot water. Called the company who installed it, Got some fairy tale about a magical "puff" of wind that was able to travel 3 stories down my chimney, jump a 6" air gap and blew out my polite light. 2 months later, no hot water. Called company, started blaming State for all the issues, unable to find the problem. State doesn't stand behind their products. They are total P.O.s! State away, do not let anyone talk you into this over priced boat anchor. I'm waiting for it to blow my house off the foundation!
Date created: 2017-06-29 Name: Linda
Location: Cincinnati, OH

"They don't last"
A water heater should not spring a pin hole leak in the metal within just a few years. We have cistern water so no hard water issues. Seems their manufacturing process is junk using inferior metal and they will not stand behind their product. Don't make the mistake we did. Choose another company! (3 months out of warranty. They likely high five'd each other at the corporate office)
Date created: 2017-06-15 Name: Ankit Aggarwal
Location: Austin, TX

"Unable to update warranty registration"
Hi, I have a complaint. Company doesn't register warranty unless home owner provides HUD-1form or co. These restrictions are not helpful for new home buyers as hud-1 Form is not being used these days by all the title companies and co form is only available if the house in the flood hazard area. In my case, I can't provide both documents but provided my legal closing documents which has info of settlement date, seller/buyer info, etc. whatever needed to update the warranty registration. I can't recommend anyone to use your water heaters as the customer service is not providing any workaround. I called few times to your customer center to explain the situation but no other solution was provided. Please get out of your obsolete requirements and update your legal dept. To make changes or accept exceptions on case to case information.