Consumer Reviews of SEARS water heaters

Read more about SEARS water heaters

Date created: 2016-03-26 Name: Kate
Location: Mahopac

"Install sucks"
I had my water heater installed by Sears two years ago. Not only did it take them over four days to install it with two different teams, but now the pipes that they installed are leaking. I called to have them repair it and all of a sudden they can't find my installation agreement and claim they used a third-party to install. So now I have a water tank that's perfectly fine and works great but the pipes that Sears put in suck. I will no longer do business with them. Their shady customer service department was no help at all.

Date created: 2016-02-29 Name: Jewell
Location: Kansas City, MO

"I guess I can't complain"
I have a Kenmore Power Elite 40-gallon vented gas water heater that was installed in 1991! My house sits on a slab, so the water heater is right next to the furnace in a long, narrow pantry closet off my kitchen. I've lived here since 1997, and have never touched this Kenmore water heater - not even to drain it. I think in all these years, the pilot light went out once, and I adjusted the thermostat to very hot water. The only reason I'm replacing it now is because it's beginning to show some rust around the edge where the bottom case is married to the main metal case. That's it! Never a problem with it, so I may just get another, but bump up to the 50-gallon size. Can't say any more than that!

Date created: 2015-11-23 Location: Dixon, Illinois

"Nice and Hot, Hotter than most"
I am very satisfied with our water heater. Our old water heater gave up the ghost three years ago during winter, and I suffered through quite a few cold showers. It was bad. We didn't have much money so my first thought was to see if I could buy a functioning used water heater on the cheap. That was a big mistake. I found one and bought it from the owner of an apartment in the Chicago suburbs. I didn't trust myself to install it so I hired a pro. Afterwards we had hot water, but we also had steam coming through the chimney, which gave us peeling wallpaper in our bedroom and peeling paint in our living room. Now that sucked! We didn't have the cash on hand to buy a new one, but fortunately Sears let us put one on lay-a-way, as soon as we had it paid off we called the plumber again to install the new one. He didn't want to come. I suspect he was worried that we would hold him responsible for the steam damage. Perhaps we should have, but who needs the grief. The plumber came, disconnected the used one, installed the new one and set the thermostat to our preference which means our hot water is very hot. No more problem with steam seeping through the bricks of our chimney and we have hot water again! Sears sells decent appliances. No complaints.

Date created: 2015-01-27 Name: Josh

"Disappointed"
The warranty is a sham. I've had two service calls within 3 years totaling 230 dollars to fix the pilot light. I now have 680 dollars in a water heater that's worked for 4 years. Customer service is less than sympathetic to your problems.

Date created: 2014-07-19 Name: SWW
Location: Minnesota

"HORRIBLE EXPERIENC!!"
I spent all week trying to buy a water heater from Sears. Their "call you in 20 minutes" and "next day by noon" are a joke! I started the process with them Tuesday and by Friday afternoon cancelled my order in exasperation. Probably talked to 15 or 20 people at Sears during the course of the week and they are so inept they could not find an in stock water heater they could sell and deliver. Have no idea how Sears stays in business. I am not usually one to spend time on reviews, but they wasted so much of my time and are so irritating, I am dedicated to let others know to choose someone else!

Date created: 2013-04-16 Name: Ben Johnstone
Location: Bodega Bay, CA

"Feeling Cheated"
I ordered this over the telephone. I specifically stated that I did not want the extended warranty yet when I got the bill I was charged for one. Then the installer charged another $211 for items that he said were always required as a part of the installation. As far as I am concerned this amounts to deceptive advertising. Regardless of how the water heater functions, I cannot recommend this type of behavior.

Date created: 2012-08-21 Location: Lakeview, AR

"STILL DOING THE JOB!"
This water heater was installed in January of 2000. I am happy to state that to this day it is still functioning as it did when originally purchased. I've had no problems with this unit, which is why most of my appliances are from Sears. I do hear the heater running when it heats up the water but that only lasts for approximately 10 minutes at the most. I purchased my home in the middle of 1999 and one of the selling points was that all new appliances were installed, including the water heater. The original water heater was purchased in 1998 and was different brand, by December, 1999 we had to replace that unit. The price was right and with a household consisting of two adults with one child this completely suits are needs. We are loyal consumers of the Sears brand, me with my appliances and my husband with his outdoor toys.

Date created: 2012-01-18 Location: Woodville, TX

"They Don't Make Hotwater Heaters Like They Used To"
Our hot water heater is a Sears & Robuck model, and since it is no longer Sears & Robuck and just Sears, it is safe to say we have an excellent hot water heater. Considering it is over 40 years old and still kicking, it is in great condition. The bottom of the outside shell is rusted through, but the tank itself is not and is still holding water. It used to belong in an old 1971 model trailer home. It was used in that home for several years before the home was basically abandoned. In 2003, shortly after moving into another home on the property, it was necessary to make use of the hot water heater again. The one in the other house, which was decades older, went out. Though this Sears & Robuck one is only a 10 gallon, it is perfect for us because it heats like a new one. Four years later, we are still using the old 1971 Sears & Robuck hot water heater. They just don't make hot water heaters to last like they used to!

Date created: 2010-09-30 Name: ralph mcgahagin
Location: austin, tx

"30 gal water heater"
No prob;ems works fine

Date created: 2010-09-28 Name: Diane Baum
Location: West bloomfield, Mi

"Bought in a hurry"
I believe in Murphy's Law. We never had any problem with our previous water heater until it unexpectedly broke. It happened to be the day after I broke my leg and was home hopping around. I quickly sent my hubby out to buy a new one. Usually, we spend a lot of time comparing prices and products. This time we just called up the Sears man and said bring it over. I t has done it's job, with mediore results.