Consumer Reviews of Rinnai water heaters

Read more about Rinnai water heaters

Date created: 2016-01-14 Name: Alex S
Location: New York, NY

"Does Rinnai have customer service?"
I'm trying to get Rinnai to come in for an estimate. Can't get them on the phone at all. Lowe's had Rinnai on the display, but the installation is direct with Rinnai. So far no luck at all. I wish they would pick up the phone once in a while!

Date created: 2015-04-24 Location: Nacogdoches, TX

"Tankless Water Heater using Natural Gas"
I have owned my tankless Rinnai water heater for nearly four years. I like that it has an endless supply of hot water, which with a family of six, including two teenagers, is a necessity. The only drawback to the water heater is that makes noise when it starts heating up the water. It is necessary to shut the door to the laundry room if you don't want to hear it. We haven't had to do any repairs on this water heater, and we would definitely buy it again. We have made several recommendations to our friends and family based on our experience, one family had a similar model install a couple of years ago.

Date created: 2015-02-02 Name: David C. Menges
Location: Denver, CO

"Bad news"
New buyers should heed the bad reviews here! I have a similar story. Installed by Shea Homes, a new house. It worked for five months, was flaky for 1.5 months, then failed. There were many repair visits by various people during this. Eventually Rinnai blamed the gas company for inadequate gas pressure, but they proved it was fine. The Rinnai tech then guessed and ordered a part (not in stock in Denver). Rinnai put it on a slow boat - "it'll be here Wednesday", then Thursday, then Friday, then Saturday. Meanwhile, the Rinnai tech asked Rinnai if he could take the part off a new unit; they wouldn't authorize it. I filled out Rinnai's online form and never heard back. Five days without showers or clean dishes. It would have been much longer had the local tech not harassed Rinnai shipping. The gas company said Shea should have put the heater closer to where the gas enters the house, and before the furnace. I expect we'll have to replace it with a tank water heater in a couple years, well short of the advertised 20 years. We can live with a 45 second wait for hot water, but not 5 days without any.

Date created: 2015-01-13 Name: John Barbaro
Location: Jackson, NJ

"Buyer beware"
We just replaced our 8-year-old, top-of-the-line, 2532 Rinnai water heater. It was working well but suddenly developed a leak in the heat exchanger. In 2006 we thought we'd purchased a 10-year warranty on the heat exchanger, only to learn that the warranty didn't mean what it said. Our warranty was for only 5 years because of the model number, a fact that was not mentioned at all in the warranty. Rinnai has since clarified its warranty. However, the warranty after 1 year does not cover labor. After 5 years the warranty doesn't cover parts. The warranty does cover the heat exchanger for 12 years in a residential installation, but forget labor after the first year. The tankless water heater has many more parts than the conventional water heater, so there's much more that can fail than in the tank type heater. Also, the heat exchanger is at the top of the unit. Any leakage from the heat exchanger runs down onto the other parts of the unit, parts that are covered for only 5 years. For the complexity of the water heater, the warranty is essentially inadequate. Tankless water heaters cost twice what conventional heaters cost and twice the cost to install. We paid $3000 for the 2006 unit and $2200 for the replacement. That's $625 per year just for owning the Rinnai. The tankless water heater is a great idea; but, like so much green equipment, it's expensive to buy and to maintain. So you must weigh the cost before making your decision. In spite of Rinnai's dazzling self-promotion plastered all over its website, Rinnai is not in the warranty business and does not go out of its way to satisfy customers trying to resolve problems with their unit. Buyer Beware!

Date created: 2014-11-03 Name: Nia Furtado
Location: Burnaby, BC

"Garbage product, terrible service"
We bought and installed the tankless water heater 5 years ago and it has never worked properly. We only get hot water a few times a day and it has been very inconvenient for our family. Rinnai refuses to speak to us; they only want to speak with the technician. Rinnai and our tech have been going back and forth for 5 years. They have replaced every single part on the heater and it still doesn't work. They made us change our gas line at our cost, saying that it will fix the problem, and nothing. Still no hot water! It is very frustrating. We are throwing it out and going back to an old school water heater. Rinnai is crap!

Date created: 2014-10-21 Name: J. Smith
Location: Florida

"Should have flushed my money down the toilet"
After 14 months, the unit stopped working. A licensed plumber checked it out and confirmed that the gas line installation was right. When I contacted Rinnai for help, they would not help a bit; they merely tried to pass the problem to another tech. They will not help the homeowner for any reason to solve the problem. The big lie is "it is a gas appliance and an 'unlicensed' person". I think I failed to mention that I am an engineer. Perhaps Rinnai feels that I need a license for my propane grill, or to refuel my car. And forget getting parts - it appears that you can't buy parts without their approval. I could have saved myself the time and frustration flushing my money down the toilet.

Date created: 2013-12-22 Name: J. Lewis
Location: Balnarring, Vic

"Infinity"
Our water heater purchased nearly three years ago has been working very satisfactorily until on 20 December it started to give problems. The water was hot for about 30 seconds then went cold. Our main problem was trying to contact Rinnai. All their phone numbers were not answering including the emergency no. for faults. They appear to have shut down all services till early January. This is appalling service. They should at least have a hotline for answering emergency calls. We will be having family staying over Christmas and need plenty of hot water.

Date created: 2013-07-08 Name: Chris
Location: Jackson nj

"I Have a Rinnai R94LSi Tankless Water Heater"
I have a Rinnai R94LSi tankless water heater that was installed 4 years ago. It is now leaking water all over. I spoke with Rinnai over the course of the last 5 days and they are absolutely no help in helping me fix the issue which is under warranty. All the plumbers that they gave me to service the unit tell me they won't take them apart. So now, I have to replace the unit. Definitely not with a Rinnai at my own expense. Thanks Rinnai for nothing.

Date created: 2012-06-02 Name: Marie
Location: Canada

"Rinnai venting pipes corrode"
The system worked fine until year 5. I started to notice a black grainy substance accumulating in the condensate pipe. I called in a Rinnai trained serviceman. Turns out the inside pipe of the concentric pipe is made from aluminum & had started to corrode. This will then allow the incoming cold air to mix with the outgoing hot air & will jeopardize the useful life of the system. These pipes are extremely expensive & Rinnai would not stand behind their product. Very disappointing.

Date created: 2012-01-27 Location: Paso Robles, CA

"Rinnai tankless heater worth the extra money."
Ive owned the Rennai RC98i for three years now and it has proved to be a faithful addition to our house. We are on a propane tank and with the expense of propane it was important to us to conserve as much fuel as possible. There is no pilot light so you don't have the constant expense of keeping a pilot going. Also you have no tank of water to maintain at a constant temperature. Another benefit is it can be installed on an exterior wall. There are no anodes to replace and maintenance is minimal. Another nice feature is having a remote temperature control located in our bathroom. You can set the temp where most comfortable and just open the hot water wide open, no adjusting the temperature in the shower. One drawback is the initial cost of around 1600 which i'm sure will be offset by the savings in gas bills. The other drawback is it doesn't work in a power outage so you have no reserve tank of hot water to fall back on. These issues aside I would definitely recommend to anyone. We have had absolutely no problems with this unit whatsoever.