Consumer Reviews of Rinnai water heaters

Read more about Rinnai water heaters

Date created: 2018-08-12 Name: Charles Day
Location: Chepachet, RI

"On demand hot water heater"
Petro Home Services installed my direct propane hot water heater. It lasted 3 years. Rinnai would not replace the unit, but only the parts. It took Petro the whole day to try and fix the unit before I told them to replace the whole unit; they didnít have a clue. Rinnai doesnít stand by their unit.either After spending $2,500.00 in a new unit and labor, I have a new unit at my expense. Both companies are terrible. If the unit goes again I will replace it with an electric hot water tank. So much for tryig to install something that I thought would be efficient. I tried to ask the plumbing board in my state for advice and he just laughed. Thanks, Chuck Chepachet.

Date created: 2018-08-02 Name: Lynn Harris
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

"Worst hot water heater"
This product is the most terrible hot water heater. When our traditional hot water heater broke down after 15 years, we bought this lemon. It will give cold showers intermittently and take up to 10 minutes to warm water in the kitchen. Please do not buy!
Date created: 2017-12-01 Name: Lori

"Terrible product and customer service!"
We have been having problems with our Rinnai instant hot water heater since it was installed. We were talked into it by the company that we hired to install our hot water heater. It quit working a month after it was installed and they replaced it. The new unit quit working two months after it was installed. The product is junk! Rinnai won't replace it or give us our money back. The company that talked us into it is going to eat the cost and not sell the Rinnai brand anymore.
Date created: 2017-10-13 Name: Carrie M
Location: Red Deer, Alberta

"PLEASE don't waste your money"
We had a Rinnai system when we moved into our new home 2 years ago. Constant errors (beep beep beep) and ice cold showers. Finally spent $5465 on a whole new Rinnai system with a separate condensing unit and all the recommended upgrades that were supposed to correct the "air flow" error. That was 7 months ago. We're back to no heat and no hot water and freezing to death with the brand new system. How are these still on the market??? We've been waiting over 2 weeks for parts to come in - apparently from the moon. You would think they would spring for express shipping with a brand new system under warranty, but they don't care. I wish we had just put in a tank. If you are considering one of these systems please don't do it. You will never find anyone who's had one who was happy. It doesn't exist.
Date created: 2017-08-28 Name: Dave Bob
Location: California

"Rinnai, bottom of the pile"
The worst pile a junk on the market. Rinnai customer service is a pile a lying, fraudulent thieves. I bought this piece of junk in February 2017 It never worked from day one. After 6 months of lies, misdirection, playing 5 year old baby games of itís wasnít me, itís not my fault, youíre not smart enough, this is very complicated disrespectful customer service. I finally was able to get the installer come out and we spent 2 and half hours in 115 degree heat listening to a customer service person try to figure out how to test the pile of junk Rinnai machine. Failing at every turn. So after spending more time trying to fix it than it is worth, I finally uninstalled this thing per your Rinnaiís recommendation to ship back, and now they are lying again saying I was misinformed and they will not honor the warranty or cover shipping. Any reputable company would take their product back and replace it after the hours days and weeks trying to get the thing working.
Date created: 2017-04-12 Name: Jack Clark
Location: Illinois

"Worst water heaters in the world"
The absolute worst water heater in the world & breaks down every 3 months and always cost hundreds to fix and you go days or weeks waiting for parts with no hot water and did I mention customer service is a joke !!! do not buy this product unless you want to be very discussed every day and spend thousands only yo go back to a good old tank style water heater and be happy again.
Date created: 2017-03-30 Name: HomeWise Plumbing
Location: British Columbia, Canada

"WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!"
I have been dealing with a representative named Carla B. regarding a warranty issue on behalf of one of my clients. The whole process has been an absolute nightmare. To start, Canadian warranty claims are to be processed through their branch in Georgia, USA so that greatly complicates things. Carla sent us a tax form that foreign entities are to fill out, but it wasn't a simple form. The document she sent was about 9 pages, several of which were not even relevant to our case (or our country, for that matter). To begin, the W-8BEN-E form is for tax withholding for income, and because this was a warranty part reimbursement, it is not income. Carla insisted it was still policy to require the W-8BEN-E form, so we submitted our simplified version specifically for Canadian corporations that was about half the size and double the relevance. We filled it out and submitted it to her, to which she condescendingly responded that it was the wrong form, that there are two (W-8BEN for individuals and W-8BEN-E for corporations), and insisted that we had sent in a form for individuals despite the form clearly being a W-8BEN-E. She has a real issue with paying attention to detail (I'll expand on that in a moment). We emailed back and explained it to her carefully and, 'though she still doubted us, she finally agreed to check with the relevant department, and finally submitted our claim for approval. Fast forward to over a month and a half later... Without having received a response letting us know the status of the claim, we received a cheque in the mail from Rinnai in American funds, which again, is understandable, but even after accounting for the exchange rate, the amount is MUCH lower than it should have been. I emailed Carla again to inquire why this happened, and she told me that there was probably a mark up from the retailer we purchased the part from. This would be acceptable had we been given the option to get the parts from Rinnai in a reasonable time frame at no cost, but Rinnai was not able to furnish the parts in the time frame required. Our client's business was in jeopardy if we did not repair this piece of equipment and our techs had already spent considerable time going through the extensive troubleshooting process Rinnai has in place. So we were forced to purchased the parts from a third party retailer which meant a mark up. It doesn't look very good to call a client who has an invoice that has been paid in full and request that they cover the mark up because the manufacturer warranty doesn't cover the entire price of the parts. Speaking of attention to detail... ON TOP OF ALL OF THIS, she didn't even realize there was a second invoice for which we required reimbursement. IT WAS THE FIRST PAGE IN THE ATTACHMENT SHE WAS SENT! If you appreciate good customer service and warranty coverage, I highly recommend you find another brand. At the time of writing this review, we have still not even received confirmation that the claim is being processed for the second part. Totally unacceptable.
Date created: 2017-03-14 Name: C. Joyner
Location: Valdosta, GA

"DO NOT BUY!!!"
Installed 4 years ago. Plumbing Company has been to house 7-8 times to repair same problem at a service call price of $125 per trip! Plumbing Company called Rinnai and told them of the problem and asked them to replace my unit! Rinnai declined!!! Ripping this unit off my wall and replacing with standard Hot Water heater! Do not buy!
Date created: 2017-02-10 Name: Earle Durham
Location: Methuen, MA

"Worst investment ever"
Perfect hot water heater for anyone who loves cold showers all winter long!
Date created: 2017-01-18 Name: Sharon Longfellow
Location: Lakewood, WA

"Satisfied"
I have had this unit since 2008 and never had one problem. I live in a condo and needed the space that the big tank water heater was taking up for storage. I had it professionally installed and yes it was pricey, but I have never had a problem. Yes, it does take a minute for the water to turn hot. I have it set at 125 degrees and it can't be turned hotter than that--but that's hot enough.