Consumer Reviews of Rinnai water heaters

Read more about Rinnai water heaters

Date created: 2016-11-03 Name: Nancy Brown
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

"Junk is all I can say"
I have the combi unit, what a joke. The first unit burned out. Rinnai replaced it, had to pay an extra $3200.00. Later the controller was defective, pressure tank with bladder replaced twice, exhaust fan replaced twice. Circulating pump replaced. What a piece of crap. Tomorrow, it will be taken out and put in the scrap pile.

Date created: 2016-09-16 Name: Joan Burnham
Location: Houston, TX

"Don't buy tankless"
Installed a Rinnai on 2/09 and have not been happy with it. I have to run gallons of water before I get hot water in the kitchen. Yes after you get hot water it is continuous. I have had a technician out several times. This week water was leaking from the heat exchanger. That was Wednesday. Had to order parts and said I would be without hot water for 2 days. It is now Friday and I called the plumber to get the status. Parts not here yet. They shut the heater off but left the water on but I have had to completely turn the water off to the house because water was running out a drain pipe into my yard and pooling water in the yard. I paid $3300 for this baby and am ready to rip it out and put a regular water heater in that lasts 10 to 12 years. Very frustrated.

Date created: 2016-05-20 Location: AZ

"My honest review on my current water heater"
I have owned this water heater for six years now. This heater runs our sinks, showers, washer, and dishwasher. It is amazing that such a small device can power multiple appliances. It is expensive when you first purchase it, but after about six to seven years the appliance should pay for itself with the savings that you have every month. Tankless heaters do give you a variety of ranges in temperature. Mine currently does not go over 100 degrees. That is the only issue that I have with it, but it is a small issue that I can easily get over. I have not had to replace it yet, but I do have it under a 10-year warranty just in case something does happen to it. I would recommend this brand to a family member/friend in a heartbeat. It is so easy to set up, use, and control. You don't have to have a lot of room for it, and you won't be disappointed with how many appliances it can control.

Date created: 2016-04-16 Name: CROSETTI
Location: Allegany, NY

"Don't buy...save your money"
Don't buy, save your money. Repairs are very, very pricey....not worth it.

Date created: 2016-04-03 Name: R Johnson
Location: Uniontown, PA

"First Rinnai usage at my daughters new house!"
Visiting my daughters new/remodeled house for a month of installing additional electrical and other building projects in Columbus, Georgia, this past March, I had my first experience with a 'continuous hot water' unit! It was great to take a leisurely shower after a long day of working, without running out of hot water. It did, however, fail when the water line was damaged by a landscaper trencher. "Dirt in the line"! It required a service call ($150.00) to have it flushed out and was paid by the landscaper but we were without water for two days. UGH! My biggest complaint was that the location of the heater was outside, on the far corner of the house. This position required that the water travel more that 60' to reach the second floor showers / bathrooms. The obvious problem was a lead / lag tine for the hot water to reach the required destination. My estimate was five gallons of cold water for each initial morning water request. Price per gallon .015/gal plus sewer cost at 50% of water cost for 20 years. Two showers / day! The dishwasher and the washing machine always received the cold water for the first cycle. Not that big of a problem. My intent of this memo is to warn contractors and consumers that instant / continuous hot water units need to be installed as close as possible to the bathroom and kitchen areas. I recommend that the supply pipe be covered with insulation to aid in heat retention between usage. Plan ahead during construction to locate the unit in an accessible location, as maintenance will be an issue.

Date created: 2016-01-14 Name: Alex S
Location: New York, NY

"Does Rinnai have customer service?"
I'm trying to get Rinnai to come in for an estimate. Can't get them on the phone at all. Lowe's had Rinnai on the display, but the installation is direct with Rinnai. So far no luck at all. I wish they would pick up the phone once in a while!

Date created: 2015-04-24 Location: Nacogdoches, TX

"Tankless Water Heater using Natural Gas"
I have owned my tankless Rinnai water heater for nearly four years. I like that it has an endless supply of hot water, which with a family of six, including two teenagers, is a necessity. The only drawback to the water heater is that makes noise when it starts heating up the water. It is necessary to shut the door to the laundry room if you don't want to hear it. We haven't had to do any repairs on this water heater, and we would definitely buy it again. We have made several recommendations to our friends and family based on our experience, one family had a similar model install a couple of years ago.

Date created: 2015-02-02 Name: David C. Menges
Location: Denver, CO

"Bad news"
New buyers should heed the bad reviews here! I have a similar story. Installed by Shea Homes, a new house. It worked for five months, was flaky for 1.5 months, then failed. There were many repair visits by various people during this. Eventually Rinnai blamed the gas company for inadequate gas pressure, but they proved it was fine. The Rinnai tech then guessed and ordered a part (not in stock in Denver). Rinnai put it on a slow boat - "it'll be here Wednesday", then Thursday, then Friday, then Saturday. Meanwhile, the Rinnai tech asked Rinnai if he could take the part off a new unit; they wouldn't authorize it. I filled out Rinnai's online form and never heard back. Five days without showers or clean dishes. It would have been much longer had the local tech not harassed Rinnai shipping. The gas company said Shea should have put the heater closer to where the gas enters the house, and before the furnace. I expect we'll have to replace it with a tank water heater in a couple years, well short of the advertised 20 years. We can live with a 45 second wait for hot water, but not 5 days without any.

Date created: 2015-01-13 Name: John Barbaro
Location: Jackson, NJ

"Buyer beware"
We just replaced our 8-year-old, top-of-the-line, 2532 Rinnai water heater. It was working well but suddenly developed a leak in the heat exchanger. In 2006 we thought we'd purchased a 10-year warranty on the heat exchanger, only to learn that the warranty didn't mean what it said. Our warranty was for only 5 years because of the model number, a fact that was not mentioned at all in the warranty. Rinnai has since clarified its warranty. However, the warranty after 1 year does not cover labor. After 5 years the warranty doesn't cover parts. The warranty does cover the heat exchanger for 12 years in a residential installation, but forget labor after the first year. The tankless water heater has many more parts than the conventional water heater, so there's much more that can fail than in the tank type heater. Also, the heat exchanger is at the top of the unit. Any leakage from the heat exchanger runs down onto the other parts of the unit, parts that are covered for only 5 years. For the complexity of the water heater, the warranty is essentially inadequate. Tankless water heaters cost twice what conventional heaters cost and twice the cost to install. We paid $3000 for the 2006 unit and $2200 for the replacement. That's $625 per year just for owning the Rinnai. The tankless water heater is a great idea; but, like so much green equipment, it's expensive to buy and to maintain. So you must weigh the cost before making your decision. In spite of Rinnai's dazzling self-promotion plastered all over its website, Rinnai is not in the warranty business and does not go out of its way to satisfy customers trying to resolve problems with their unit. Buyer Beware!

Date created: 2014-11-03 Name: Nia Furtado
Location: Burnaby, BC

"Garbage product, terrible service"
We bought and installed the tankless water heater 5 years ago and it has never worked properly. We only get hot water a few times a day and it has been very inconvenient for our family. Rinnai refuses to speak to us; they only want to speak with the technician. Rinnai and our tech have been going back and forth for 5 years. They have replaced every single part on the heater and it still doesn't work. They made us change our gas line at our cost, saying that it will fix the problem, and nothing. Still no hot water! It is very frustrating. We are throwing it out and going back to an old school water heater. Rinnai is crap!