Consumer Reviews of Rinnai water heaters

Read more about Rinnai water heaters

Date created: 2017-04-12 Name: Jack Clark
Location: Illinois

"Worst water heaters in the world"
The absolute worst water heater in the world & breaks down every 3 months and always cost hundreds to fix and you go days or weeks waiting for parts with no hot water and did I mention customer service is a joke !!! do not buy this product unless you want to be very discussed every day and spend thousands only yo go back to a good old tank style water heater and be happy again.

Date created: 2017-03-30 Name: HomeWise Plumbing
Location: British Columbia, Canada

"WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!"
I have been dealing with a representative named Carla B. regarding a warranty issue on behalf of one of my clients. The whole process has been an absolute nightmare. To start, Canadian warranty claims are to be processed through their branch in Georgia, USA so that greatly complicates things. Carla sent us a tax form that foreign entities are to fill out, but it wasn't a simple form. The document she sent was about 9 pages, several of which were not even relevant to our case (or our country, for that matter). To begin, the W-8BEN-E form is for tax withholding for income, and because this was a warranty part reimbursement, it is not income. Carla insisted it was still policy to require the W-8BEN-E form, so we submitted our simplified version specifically for Canadian corporations that was about half the size and double the relevance. We filled it out and submitted it to her, to which she condescendingly responded that it was the wrong form, that there are two (W-8BEN for individuals and W-8BEN-E for corporations), and insisted that we had sent in a form for individuals despite the form clearly being a W-8BEN-E. She has a real issue with paying attention to detail (I'll expand on that in a moment). We emailed back and explained it to her carefully and, 'though she still doubted us, she finally agreed to check with the relevant department, and finally submitted our claim for approval. Fast forward to over a month and a half later... Without having received a response letting us know the status of the claim, we received a cheque in the mail from Rinnai in American funds, which again, is understandable, but even after accounting for the exchange rate, the amount is MUCH lower than it should have been. I emailed Carla again to inquire why this happened, and she told me that there was probably a mark up from the retailer we purchased the part from. This would be acceptable had we been given the option to get the parts from Rinnai in a reasonable time frame at no cost, but Rinnai was not able to furnish the parts in the time frame required. Our client's business was in jeopardy if we did not repair this piece of equipment and our techs had already spent considerable time going through the extensive troubleshooting process Rinnai has in place. So we were forced to purchased the parts from a third party retailer which meant a mark up. It doesn't look very good to call a client who has an invoice that has been paid in full and request that they cover the mark up because the manufacturer warranty doesn't cover the entire price of the parts. Speaking of attention to detail... ON TOP OF ALL OF THIS, she didn't even realize there was a second invoice for which we required reimbursement. IT WAS THE FIRST PAGE IN THE ATTACHMENT SHE WAS SENT! If you appreciate good customer service and warranty coverage, I highly recommend you find another brand. At the time of writing this review, we have still not even received confirmation that the claim is being processed for the second part. Totally unacceptable.

Date created: 2017-03-14 Name: C. Joyner
Location: Valdosta, GA

"DO NOT BUY!!!"
Installed 4 years ago. Plumbing Company has been to house 7-8 times to repair same problem at a service call price of $125 per trip! Plumbing Company called Rinnai and told them of the problem and asked them to replace my unit! Rinnai declined!!! Ripping this unit off my wall and replacing with standard Hot Water heater! Do not buy!

Date created: 2017-02-10 Name: Earle Durham
Location: Methuen, MA

"Worst investment ever"
Perfect hot water heater for anyone who loves cold showers all winter long!

Date created: 2017-01-18 Name: Sharon Longfellow
Location: Lakewood, WA

"Satisfied"
I have had this unit since 2008 and never had one problem. I live in a condo and needed the space that the big tank water heater was taking up for storage. I had it professionally installed and yes it was pricey, but I have never had a problem. Yes, it does take a minute for the water to turn hot. I have it set at 125 degrees and it can't be turned hotter than that--but that's hot enough.

Date created: 2016-11-03 Name: Nancy Brown
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

"Junk is all I can say"
I have the combi unit, what a joke. The first unit burned out. Rinnai replaced it, had to pay an extra $3200.00. Later the controller was defective, pressure tank with bladder replaced twice, exhaust fan replaced twice. Circulating pump replaced. What a piece of crap. Tomorrow, it will be taken out and put in the scrap pile.

Date created: 2016-09-16 Name: Joan Burnham
Location: Houston, TX

"Don't buy tankless"
Installed a Rinnai on 2/09 and have not been happy with it. I have to run gallons of water before I get hot water in the kitchen. Yes after you get hot water it is continuous. I have had a technician out several times. This week water was leaking from the heat exchanger. That was Wednesday. Had to order parts and said I would be without hot water for 2 days. It is now Friday and I called the plumber to get the status. Parts not here yet. They shut the heater off but left the water on but I have had to completely turn the water off to the house because water was running out a drain pipe into my yard and pooling water in the yard. I paid $3300 for this baby and am ready to rip it out and put a regular water heater in that lasts 10 to 12 years. Very frustrated.

Date created: 2016-05-20 Location: AZ

"My honest review on my current water heater"
I have owned this water heater for six years now. This heater runs our sinks, showers, washer, and dishwasher. It is amazing that such a small device can power multiple appliances. It is expensive when you first purchase it, but after about six to seven years the appliance should pay for itself with the savings that you have every month. Tankless heaters do give you a variety of ranges in temperature. Mine currently does not go over 100 degrees. That is the only issue that I have with it, but it is a small issue that I can easily get over. I have not had to replace it yet, but I do have it under a 10-year warranty just in case something does happen to it. I would recommend this brand to a family member/friend in a heartbeat. It is so easy to set up, use, and control. You don't have to have a lot of room for it, and you won't be disappointed with how many appliances it can control.

Date created: 2016-04-16 Name: CROSETTI
Location: Allegany, NY

"Don't buy...save your money"
Don't buy, save your money. Repairs are very, very pricey....not worth it.

Date created: 2016-04-03 Name: R Johnson
Location: Uniontown, PA

"First Rinnai usage at my daughters new house!"
Visiting my daughters new/remodeled house for a month of installing additional electrical and other building projects in Columbus, Georgia, this past March, I had my first experience with a 'continuous hot water' unit! It was great to take a leisurely shower after a long day of working, without running out of hot water. It did, however, fail when the water line was damaged by a landscaper trencher. "Dirt in the line"! It required a service call ($150.00) to have it flushed out and was paid by the landscaper but we were without water for two days. UGH! My biggest complaint was that the location of the heater was outside, on the far corner of the house. This position required that the water travel more that 60' to reach the second floor showers / bathrooms. The obvious problem was a lead / lag tine for the hot water to reach the required destination. My estimate was five gallons of cold water for each initial morning water request. Price per gallon .015/gal plus sewer cost at 50% of water cost for 20 years. Two showers / day! The dishwasher and the washing machine always received the cold water for the first cycle. Not that big of a problem. My intent of this memo is to warn contractors and consumers that instant / continuous hot water units need to be installed as close as possible to the bathroom and kitchen areas. I recommend that the supply pipe be covered with insulation to aid in heat retention between usage. Plan ahead during construction to locate the unit in an accessible location, as maintenance will be an issue.