Consumer Reviews of Richmond water heaters

Read more about Richmond water heaters

Date created: 2014-08-21 Name: Rich J.
Location: Bloomington, IL

"Oily metal smell"
Since installing the Richmond Integra 40 gallon water heater we have had an oily metal smell that comes from it, and it stays on the dish cloth and your hands until you wash it out with soap and cold water. We've had the unit in for little over 2 years and still have the same problem. I guess that means it'll take longer to rust out :)

Date created: 2014-06-20 Name: Krause
Location: Racine, WI

"HORRIBLE"
We purchased a Richmond hot water heater 5.5 years ago. Within the first year of purchase, a valve gave out and allowed the hot water heater to flood our basement. Called, Richmond and was told that they didn't manufacture the part, so there was nothing they would do for us. Now, 5.5 years into a 6 year warranty, the hot water heater has died and they won't replace it because the serial number shows that it's out of warranty - in their mind it's not even plausible that the unit wasn't purchased at the exact same time the damn thing was manufactured. My brother-in- law also had to replace his before the 6 year warranty for the same reason. These things are a piece of junk, Richmond's Customer Service is horrible. Surprised that these bastards are still in business. If you are even contemplating buying a richmond hot water heater, run!!

Date created: 2014-05-14 Name: Brian M
Location: Newton IL

"Need parts? forget it"
I need a TRD part. The only way to get it is to call the company, so I did. They asked me a bunch of questions, then told me it is not up to code. I needed to take pictures and send them to them. This is a lot of trouble just to get a safety feature part. Which they refused to send me because they said it was not up to code! This unit is 4 years old with 6 year warranty. They did not ask me a bunch of questions when I bought the unit and/or how it was going to be installed to see if it was up to code.... Lol too funny, what a joke!! I can not even buy this part!!

Date created: 2014-03-13 Name: Kerry J
Location: southeastern South Dakota

"Nothing but Problems"
Bought a vent water heater at Menards in 2009, had it installed and the manufacture date said, 2006. Within a year no hot water, called and had to have parts shipped, no plumber would touch this product or carries parts. Replaced main electric unit myself and months later had to replace the burner unit, then the vapor sensor twice, had to find the receipt to prove when we bought it as it was showing it was out of warranty. Replaced valve unit that lights up again and that was a year ago, sitting here today with no hot water again, waiting for parts. Have a family of 6 and cant go long without hot water. Total nightmare.

Date created: 2013-12-21 Name: M. Reilly
Location: Madison, WI

"Customer Service non-existent"
Bought this 40 gallon gas water heater from Menards 9-2013. My major beef now with Richmond/Rheem is their customer service totally ignoring my contacts to them. I contacted them with two minor, very brief questions. The first was two days after purchase and the second was one month after purchase. They ignored both. Richmond/Rheem's ignoring me has now turned nothing into a big deal to me. Don't ever ignore the customer. This is the very last Rheem product I will ever purchase. I am the plumber to a lot of family and friends. They will line up behind me.

Date created: 2013-12-11 Name: robert rux
Location: aberdeen s.d.

"Tech dept does not know product"
Owner bought a water heater from Menards. The gas valve was bad. Called tech support they will send gas valve. It took two days. New gas valve did not work. Called again informed them of our readings and voltages they sent second gas valve. Took two more days

Date created: 2013-10-06 Name: Bill Bradley
Location: Tucson, Az

"Don't Waste Your Money"
Bought Richmond 6V30FT 29 gal. water heater from Home Depot! It had a 2-year parts and labor warranty! Six months after installing, water temperature at tub was 120 degrees! Kept turning thermostat down until reached pilot lighting! Called Home Depot, they said call Richmond, they sent new gas valve! Was told, no service company in Tucson to install! I kept complaining they refunded cost of water heater, but water still scalding hot! Will not buy water heater from Home Depot again, and for sure not a Richmond!!!

Date created: 2013-07-11 Name: H Conway
Location: Lake CIty CO

"Cannot Get Them to Work"
We purchased 4 tankless units for our Colorado lodge in May. The original quote from our supplier has gone up by more than 50% due to the additional parts Richmond/Rheem has told our installer to purchase. And our installer's time has gone from an original quote of 12 hours to over 60 hours. It is now July 10th and we still do not have these units operational. We get error codes every time the units come on. We purchased from Richmond/Rheem because they offered a labor and parts warranty for the 1st year. They need to get these units working now! And, let us know that they will pay for all of this additional expense. If they do the right thing, I will note it in this record.

Date created: 2013-05-14 Name: M. Gaines
Location: Plattsburg, MO

"2 Strikes"
I had a 12-year warranted Richmond 50 gal. electric water heater. It was manufactured and installed in 2008. In late 2012, it began leaking from the lower element. I contacted Richmond and they sent me a new element. When I removed the lower element, the threaded area of the tank had severely corroded. I again contacted Richmond and they told me to take my water heater to the point of purchase (Menards) and they would replace it. They indeed did. I had my new heater installed yesterday. I had great hot water for about 12 hrs, and then it quit working. Called Richmond today, and they had me call an electrician. Bad thermostat. They are overnighting the new part, the electrician has to then return. Richmond is supposed to reimburse the cost of labor. I hope this indeed happens!

Date created: 2013-03-16 Name: M Harding
Location: Minnesota

"Nothing but problems."
We purchased this tankless waterheater in 2008 w/ the expectations of saving money. This unit has been problems from the start. Customer service has been very little help because the error codes are so vague. Since purchase we have replaced all the electrodes, the burner and spent approx. $600 on labor charges to have the unit cleaned. We have been with out hot water for a couple days, and are in the process of throwing this unit in the garbage (where it belongs) and purchasing a 50 gl standard type heater. I can assure you that it will not be a richmond product or any other brand manufactured by this company.