Consumer Reviews of Richmond water heaters

Read more about Richmond water heaters

Date created: 2014-09-09 Name: L. Farrell
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA

"Crappy service"
The vent is broken, and we have been without hot water for 1 1/2 weeks. Our answer? We are waiting for the part. Bull s____. It may be 2-3 weeks before we get hot water. Imagine washing at the sink, boiling water for dishes, etc. They owe us big time. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Date created: 2014-08-26 Name: Michael Creed
Location: Oconomowoc, WI

"Don't waste your time or money"
Here's a letter I recently wrote to their customer service team: Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this long message. I am a highly disappointed customer of yours; just thinking about what I went through this past weekend makes me angry. About 2.5 weeks ago (August 10, 2014), my water heater had a small leak in it. I went to Mendards that day to buy a new one and I ended up with the product noted above. I had to rent a truck to drive it home as my SUV was in the shop at the time. It turned out that the leak was quite slow so I didn’t replace the unit right away as time was tight for me then. This past weekend (8/23/2014), I planned to install the new unit. Around 9:30 AM I disconnected and drained the old unit, sweat the new copper tubing for the water lines, redid the gas pipe to match your unit, connected it all, filled it all up, checked for leaks (there weren’t any) and tried to fire up the pilot light. I did what the instruction manual was telling me to do but it wouldn’t light. I figured the valve was bad because the knob didn’t operate exactly as the owner’s manual described. I called your technical support line for help and it turned out your manual describes an older valve that you no longer use on this water heater (the manual says that the knob cannot go beyond “pilot” without pushing the knob down but that is not correct on this valve; it turns beyond “pilot” freely). Once the technician determined the valve was fine, she had me do some additional troubleshooting and we learned that the pilot supply line was blocked; something she said happens from time to time in the manufacturing process. She offered to send a plumber out to fix it and promised I would hear from the plumber by the end of the day Monday (8/25/2014) to get the appointment set for the repair. I still have not heard from that plumber and it’s now late in the evening on Tuesday. In the interim, because my wife and I didn’t want to have a house for ourselves and our kids without hot water, we decided to return the unit to Menards for an exchange. I drained the unit, disconnected it, hauled it back upstairs and drove to the store (it’s about 1 hour round trip for me). I got home with the second unit, decided to connect the gas first to ensure that the pilot would light, and as soon as I turned it on, I knew there was a problem; I could hear a “hissing” when I was pressing on the yellow pilot button. It turned out that the second unit was also defective, but in a different way - the brass threaded flange fitting had been tightened so much that it crushed the flange on the end of the pilot supply line and had actually severed the pilot supply line inside the valve. The only thing keeping that pilot supply line in the brass threaded flange fitting was the spring-tension in the pilot supply line itself. It was just sitting there and could be pulled out with two fingers. This is a HUGE fire hazard. By this time, it’s 8:30 PM and I am absolutely livid that I have now wasted my time, money and energy on installing two of your defective units in my home. The only good news is that I was smart enough to NOT fill the second unit with water. So I made another trip back to Mendards – again, I have kids, we need hot water before the middle of the week – to get a third unit. Frankly, I was ready to get my money back and buy another unit from a competitor at this point, but I found that the only other option in my area that sold them on the weekend carried a brand that was the same group of companies as yours. The third unit was installed and heating water by 11 PM. What should have been a couple hour project, turned into a complete waste of a day - 13.5 hours, to be exact. Here are the issues I have: 1. Your supplied literature and manual doesn’t match (in word or image) the valve that the unit was shipped with. 2. Your manufacturing process didn’t test something as simple as a pilot supply line blockage. 3. Your technical support team’s promise to have a plumber call me to fix the first unit (because I never called you back to tell you what went on since our conversation on Saturday) has still not called me (it’s well into the evening on Tuesday when I am writing this and I was promised a call by EOB Monday). 4. Your manufacturing process created a fault that could have caused an explosion in my house had I not been paying attention to the second unit. 5. The fact that I had to make two special one hour trips to return your faulty product. 6. The time and energy it’s taken for me to communicate this entire situation in the first place. I sure hope to hear from you soon to rectify this situation as your company is responsible for wasting a whole lot of my time, energy and money. -Michael PS: Your contact form above says “Pruduct Model”. Maybe you could change that to be spelled correctly.

Date created: 2014-08-26 Name: Peggy D
Location: Fox Lake, IL

"Richmond Hot Water Heater Blows"
I bought a Richmond hot water heater 2 years ago and it's leaking from the top now. Just recently went through chemo and could not stand the egg smell it made me sicker. Took out the a rod and this voided the warranty. The hot water heater is wasted now, it's been leaking from the top for about 3 weeks. Sent an e-mail to Richmond, who passed the buck to a Rheem agent. That agent did not even address my problem. Please do not buy a Richmond Power Vent hot water heater or you are in for a big disappointment. I was told not to buy a Richmond by my plumber but did anyway because of the convenience of making payments at Menards. Guess you learn from your mistakes.

Date created: 2014-08-21 Name: Rich J.
Location: Bloomington, IL

"Oily metal smell"
Since installing the Richmond Integra 40 gallon water heater we have had an oily metal smell that comes from it, and it stays on the dish cloth and your hands until you wash it out with soap and cold water. We've had the unit in for little over 2 years and still have the same problem. I guess that means it'll take longer to rust out :)

Date created: 2014-06-20 Name: Krause
Location: Racine, WI

"HORRIBLE"
We purchased a Richmond hot water heater 5.5 years ago. Within the first year of purchase, a valve gave out and allowed the hot water heater to flood our basement. Called, Richmond and was told that they didn't manufacture the part, so there was nothing they would do for us. Now, 5.5 years into a 6 year warranty, the hot water heater has died and they won't replace it because the serial number shows that it's out of warranty - in their mind it's not even plausible that the unit wasn't purchased at the exact same time the damn thing was manufactured. My brother-in- law also had to replace his before the 6 year warranty for the same reason. These things are a piece of junk, Richmond's Customer Service is horrible. Surprised that these bastards are still in business. If you are even contemplating buying a richmond hot water heater, run!!

Date created: 2014-05-14 Name: Brian M
Location: Newton IL

"Need parts? forget it"
I need a TRD part. The only way to get it is to call the company, so I did. They asked me a bunch of questions, then told me it is not up to code. I needed to take pictures and send them to them. This is a lot of trouble just to get a safety feature part. Which they refused to send me because they said it was not up to code! This unit is 4 years old with 6 year warranty. They did not ask me a bunch of questions when I bought the unit and/or how it was going to be installed to see if it was up to code.... Lol too funny, what a joke!! I can not even buy this part!!

Date created: 2014-03-13 Name: Kerry J
Location: southeastern South Dakota

"Nothing but Problems"
Bought a vent water heater at Menards in 2009, had it installed and the manufacture date said, 2006. Within a year no hot water, called and had to have parts shipped, no plumber would touch this product or carries parts. Replaced main electric unit myself and months later had to replace the burner unit, then the vapor sensor twice, had to find the receipt to prove when we bought it as it was showing it was out of warranty. Replaced valve unit that lights up again and that was a year ago, sitting here today with no hot water again, waiting for parts. Have a family of 6 and cant go long without hot water. Total nightmare.

Date created: 2013-12-21 Name: M. Reilly
Location: Madison, WI

"Customer Service non-existent"
Bought this 40 gallon gas water heater from Menards 9-2013. My major beef now with Richmond/Rheem is their customer service totally ignoring my contacts to them. I contacted them with two minor, very brief questions. The first was two days after purchase and the second was one month after purchase. They ignored both. Richmond/Rheem's ignoring me has now turned nothing into a big deal to me. Don't ever ignore the customer. This is the very last Rheem product I will ever purchase. I am the plumber to a lot of family and friends. They will line up behind me.

Date created: 2013-12-11 Name: robert rux
Location: aberdeen s.d.

"Tech dept does not know product"
Owner bought a water heater from Menards. The gas valve was bad. Called tech support they will send gas valve. It took two days. New gas valve did not work. Called again informed them of our readings and voltages they sent second gas valve. Took two more days

Date created: 2013-10-06 Name: Bill Bradley
Location: Tucson, Az

"Don't Waste Your Money"
Bought Richmond 6V30FT 29 gal. water heater from Home Depot! It had a 2-year parts and labor warranty! Six months after installing, water temperature at tub was 120 degrees! Kept turning thermostat down until reached pilot lighting! Called Home Depot, they said call Richmond, they sent new gas valve! Was told, no service company in Tucson to install! I kept complaining they refunded cost of water heater, but water still scalding hot! Will not buy water heater from Home Depot again, and for sure not a Richmond!!!