Consumer Reviews of Richmond water heaters

Read more about Richmond water heaters

Date created: 2016-11-23 Name: D Doctor
Location: Warsaw IN

"Good performance"
Have had installed for 1 year now. Has worked with no problems. Fast water temp recovery. Very stable water temp when full flow in shower. Great on energy savings over conventional water heater. Recommend this water heater.

Date created: 2016-11-02 Name: john miles
Location: Milan, IL

"Bad product"
I bought a new Richmond water heater in March 2003 with a 12 year warranty, in January 2009 I was in the bathroom next to the water heater and it exploded through the top and spilled water all over the furnace room and basement. It was replaced by Menards at no cost in March 2009 and had a 12 year warranty also. November 1st, the replacement sprang a leak and spilled water all over the furnace room and basement carpet again. The last one they would not replace and I had to pay for a new one. Do not ever buy a product from this manufacturer.

Date created: 2016-10-24 Name: Chris Olson
Location: West Fargo, ND

"Unreliable equipment with horrible service to match."
Be ready to spend plenty of money fixing this thing. Even though you have a 9 or 12 year warranty on parts, only 1 year of in home labor is covered. I just spent $471.00 repairing a unit manufactured on November 13, 2013. Adding insult to injury, Rheem sent a wrong part after they sent us a bad part the first time. So much wasted time and money with these people - plus we were without water for two entire weeks.

Date created: 2016-04-08 Location: Plsno, IL

"Home Water Heater"
I own a Richmond water heater purchased in September of 2012 from Menards. I chose the rating "Neutral" as I am overall happy with the water heater, but approximately two weeks after we purchased the water heater a part on it had to be replaced. Menards did offer to replace the entire water heater for us, but the water heater is in the basement and would have been very cumbersome to move, return, and reinstall. Instead Menards did refund a portion of the purchase price in order to compensate us. In my opinion the water heater is appealing to look at. It is all grey with an overall sleek look. The water heater heats water very quickly. I can wash loads of laundry on hot and still get a hot shower when laundry is done. We have also had up to four people shower back to back with no one running out of hot water in their shower. Due to the fact that this water heater had an issue very early on I would have to think hard about re-purchasing this brand, although it has worked well overall.

Date created: 2016-03-24 Name: George Smith
Location: Loudonville, OH

"3 years cold water in, cold water out, no help"
The unit was installed by a professional electrician and plumber. It did not work, have repeated it with different professionals. Meanwhile they and myself have contacted the company to be told by the service department that it was undersized, it was plumbed wrong, do these diagnostics, the electric was too light, the water too cold going into it. All of these hurdles were disproved. Today I called again and was given the same diatribe, it seems that with a heater if cold water goes in there should be some hot water come out. So customers should think twice about purchasing this heater.. For the record, I have other tanklelss heaters, other brands, that work as they are supposed to.

Date created: 2016-03-07 Name: cpansch
Location: Sioux Falls, SD

"Customer service"
Heater started leaking. After sending photos and several phone delays Rheem (Richmond) did not honor the warranty. It appears I'm not the only dissatisfied customer. Never again!

Date created: 2016-01-25 Name: Carter O'Brien
Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI

"Don't believe the 2 year in-home warranty"
Pilot went out at 1.5 years and would not remain lit afterwards. Followed all steps in "Certificate of Warranty" only to be told I was supposed to phone their warranty department before following the advice of the retailer, to simply bring in the old and take the replacement home. I had the original installer do the job and Rheem refused to reimburse installation charges because I did not contact them first. Re-read all warranty information and it does not say I am supposed to call them first. Even the retailer (Menards) did not suggest that was necessary when I specifically asked. Their written warranty only says promptly mail documentation with serial numbers.

Date created: 2015-12-23 Location: Baldwin, GA

"Review for Richmond 40 Gallon Electric Water Heater"
My home was already equipped with a Richmond 40 gallon water heater when we purchased it six years ago. In the six years of owning the water heater, I haven't had any functional troubles with it requiring repair. It has been rock solid in terms of operation and maintaining constant temperature to the water. Everything on my Richmond heater is clearly marked including power, the plumbing lines and the identifiers on the unit. This is a big benefit for finding information quickly for future purposes. This model would be perfect for an individual, a couple, or a small family as it is the 40 gallon model. The biggest benefits have been its longevity. It's basically maintenance free, it's quick to reheat the entire tank, and most importantly it's very easy on the budget in terms of efficiency. Since the time is getting close to replace it due to its age, I will definitely purchase the same model again (if available).

Date created: 2015-11-24 Name: James

"Unhappily own one"
3 months and it won't make hot water over 137 degrees.

Date created: 2015-10-02 Location: Chicago, IL

"Richmond water heater, could be better."
In our house we actually have 2 water heaters - one that controls the upstairs water, and the other one controls the downstairs water. We've owned both of these water heaters for around 10 years now. What I like is how fast these water heaters are. I can turn on my sink or my bathtub and have warm/hot water in less than a minute. My old water heaters I had to leave the water running for up to 3 minutes sometimes! But there is one big downfall to these water heaters, the sensor. About 2 or 3 times a year there is something wrong with the sensor and we have no hot water. So I have to call a repairman to come and fix it for $130 each time. We even used our warranty and got brand new water heaters, but they have the same problem. Seeing as we've had these for 10 years, we are definitely going to be replacing them the next time the sensor goes out. While I do like how fast they are, the sensor problem is not worth it.