Consumer Reviews of Richmond water heaters

Read more about Richmond water heaters

Date created: 2014-12-24 Name: Matt
Location: Menomonie, WI

"Worst water heater"
This unit has a six-year warranty on it. But two years ago, it started to go downhill. Every quarter, I have to adjust the burner or replace it with a new one. In less than 1 1/2 years, I replaced the burner three times already. Now there's a problem with the gas valve and the blowing vent. Oh yeah, there's also fucking bad customer service and parts delivery.

Date created: 2014-12-13 Name: Brian Timm
Location: Arlington, NE

"The product and the customer service are equally awful"
I purchased the water heater and it did not work. I called customer service several times. They finally said they would overnight the part to fix it. They did overnight a part; too bad it was the wrong part. I called back and they had no idea how the wrong part was sent. They couldn't care less that their products are junk and that their customer service employees are totally inept. We will be returning the piece of junk to the store it was purchased from.

Date created: 2014-12-06 Name: Ken Gunvalson
Location: Gonvick, MN

"Model GEP20-1"
We purchased a Richmond 20-gallon electric point-of-use water heater from our local Menards in 2012. We had it installed by a local plumber in a garage guest apartment. The plumber had been unable to locate the anode (normally readily visible on the exterior of the water heater) while installing it, despite the manual diagram showing a dotted circular line with an arrow saying "anode". Nowhere in the manual is there mention that this dotted line means the anode is accessible only from inside the cover. After installation, the odor that filled the apartment anytime hot water was used made the space uninhabitable. Before attempting to solve the situation, my husband called the only number listed in the manual that came with the heater - The Manufacturer's National Service Department 800-432-8373. The woman that answered stated that the anode was accessible on the bottom of the heater. My husband questioned this statement, as the diagram showed it positioned on the top. The representative at this company very sarcastically insisted that the anode was located on the bottom of the heater regardless of what the manual said. She had been given the model and serial number and insisted she was right. After a few hours removing the heater, chipping away the foam insulation and taking apart the bottom of the heater, he discovered that there was no anode. But when he then disassembled the top of the heater, there was the anode, under the cover, as shown in the diagram. There are 3 areas that need to be remedied to make your product worth purchasing: 1.The anode should be accessible for replacement without taking the entire heater apart and destroying the insulation. 2. The manual should state clearly that the anode is inside the top of the heater - explain the dotted line symbol. 3. Train the representative at your service number to provide correct support information in a professional manner. We will tell our local Menards and Home Depot, our local plumber and anyone that asks about small water heaters to avoid Richmond.

Date created: 2014-11-08 Name: Donn Miller
Location: Kaneville, IL

"Another customer service disaster"
Bought a 50 gallon water heater at Menards. The plumber installed it, and it wouldn't ignite. Found out that it was the control. I called customer service and was told they couldn't get one out to me until Tuesday. This was Friday. I argued with the customer service rep and supervisor for 45 minutes. Bottom line, they couldn't help, other than what they told me. I'm very unsatisfied with the total lack of help from them. I recommend you look elsewhere for a water heater.

Date created: 2014-11-02 Name: Lisa Stange
Location: Des Moines, IA

"Two of these went bad on us"
We've had two of these units go bad, one a week after the warranty expired and one in 2014, despite both being manufactured four years ago! Rust at the top, rust at the bottom, and general malfunction.

Date created: 2014-09-24 Name: Eric Ellis
Location: Valparaiso, IN

"Don't buy this!"
Purchased this hot water heater from Menards. First the gas valve was replaced, but I had to install it. Next, over time, the replacement gas valve malfunctioned. I reset this thing multiple times daily. Called company customer service. This is unbelievable...they told me to remove the gas burner, describe what I saw, re-install the burner, and they would send me the new gas valve. We all had plumbing 101 in college, right? Now, I'm not a plumber and burners are inside gas chambers. This is very dangerous. But like a fool, I did it. Guess what happened next? Mind you, I'm resetting this pos multiple times a day so that we can shower and clean dishes. The gas valve never came. I waited an additional week and called customer service back. I was mad. They said that they didn't have the part. Really? I'm calling the manufacturer. No part? No one told me this. Had I known this, I would have just replaced the whole hot water heater again. Listen, it was a good thing I wasn't elderly or needed assistance or didn't blow myself up. Richmond's warranty is pitiful and their customer service is hollow and useless. Don't make the mistake I did. Do not buy this hot water heater. Hopefully Menards listens.

Date created: 2014-09-09 Name: L. Farrell
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA

"Crappy service"
The vent is broken, and we have been without hot water for 1 1/2 weeks. Our answer? We are waiting for the part. Bull s____. It may be 2-3 weeks before we get hot water. Imagine washing at the sink, boiling water for dishes, etc. They owe us big time. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Date created: 2014-08-26 Name: Michael Creed
Location: Oconomowoc, WI

"Don't waste your time or money"
Here's a letter I recently wrote to their customer service team: Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this long message. I am a highly disappointed customer of yours; just thinking about what I went through this past weekend makes me angry. About 2.5 weeks ago (August 10, 2014), my water heater had a small leak in it. I went to Mendards that day to buy a new one and I ended up with the product noted above. I had to rent a truck to drive it home as my SUV was in the shop at the time. It turned out that the leak was quite slow so I didn’t replace the unit right away as time was tight for me then. This past weekend (8/23/2014), I planned to install the new unit. Around 9:30 AM I disconnected and drained the old unit, sweat the new copper tubing for the water lines, redid the gas pipe to match your unit, connected it all, filled it all up, checked for leaks (there weren’t any) and tried to fire up the pilot light. I did what the instruction manual was telling me to do but it wouldn’t light. I figured the valve was bad because the knob didn’t operate exactly as the owner’s manual described. I called your technical support line for help and it turned out your manual describes an older valve that you no longer use on this water heater (the manual says that the knob cannot go beyond “pilot” without pushing the knob down but that is not correct on this valve; it turns beyond “pilot” freely). Once the technician determined the valve was fine, she had me do some additional troubleshooting and we learned that the pilot supply line was blocked; something she said happens from time to time in the manufacturing process. She offered to send a plumber out to fix it and promised I would hear from the plumber by the end of the day Monday (8/25/2014) to get the appointment set for the repair. I still have not heard from that plumber and it’s now late in the evening on Tuesday. In the interim, because my wife and I didn’t want to have a house for ourselves and our kids without hot water, we decided to return the unit to Menards for an exchange. I drained the unit, disconnected it, hauled it back upstairs and drove to the store (it’s about 1 hour round trip for me). I got home with the second unit, decided to connect the gas first to ensure that the pilot would light, and as soon as I turned it on, I knew there was a problem; I could hear a “hissing” when I was pressing on the yellow pilot button. It turned out that the second unit was also defective, but in a different way - the brass threaded flange fitting had been tightened so much that it crushed the flange on the end of the pilot supply line and had actually severed the pilot supply line inside the valve. The only thing keeping that pilot supply line in the brass threaded flange fitting was the spring-tension in the pilot supply line itself. It was just sitting there and could be pulled out with two fingers. This is a HUGE fire hazard. By this time, it’s 8:30 PM and I am absolutely livid that I have now wasted my time, money and energy on installing two of your defective units in my home. The only good news is that I was smart enough to NOT fill the second unit with water. So I made another trip back to Mendards – again, I have kids, we need hot water before the middle of the week – to get a third unit. Frankly, I was ready to get my money back and buy another unit from a competitor at this point, but I found that the only other option in my area that sold them on the weekend carried a brand that was the same group of companies as yours. The third unit was installed and heating water by 11 PM. What should have been a couple hour project, turned into a complete waste of a day - 13.5 hours, to be exact. Here are the issues I have: 1. Your supplied literature and manual doesn’t match (in word or image) the valve that the unit was shipped with. 2. Your manufacturing process didn’t test something as simple as a pilot supply line blockage. 3. Your technical support team’s promise to have a plumber call me to fix the first unit (because I never called you back to tell you what went on since our conversation on Saturday) has still not called me (it’s well into the evening on Tuesday when I am writing this and I was promised a call by EOB Monday). 4. Your manufacturing process created a fault that could have caused an explosion in my house had I not been paying attention to the second unit. 5. The fact that I had to make two special one hour trips to return your faulty product. 6. The time and energy it’s taken for me to communicate this entire situation in the first place. I sure hope to hear from you soon to rectify this situation as your company is responsible for wasting a whole lot of my time, energy and money. -Michael PS: Your contact form above says “Pruduct Model”. Maybe you could change that to be spelled correctly.

Date created: 2014-08-21 Name: Rich J.
Location: Bloomington, IL

"Oily metal smell"
Since installing the Richmond Integra 40 gallon water heater we have had an oily metal smell that comes from it, and it stays on the dish cloth and your hands until you wash it out with soap and cold water. We've had the unit in for little over 2 years and still have the same problem. I guess that means it'll take longer to rust out :)

Date created: 2014-06-20 Name: Krause
Location: Racine, WI

"HORRIBLE"
We purchased a Richmond hot water heater 5.5 years ago. Within the first year of purchase, a valve gave out and allowed the hot water heater to flood our basement. Called, Richmond and was told that they didn't manufacture the part, so there was nothing they would do for us. Now, 5.5 years into a 6 year warranty, the hot water heater has died and they won't replace it because the serial number shows that it's out of warranty - in their mind it's not even plausible that the unit wasn't purchased at the exact same time the damn thing was manufactured. My brother-in- law also had to replace his before the 6 year warranty for the same reason. These things are a piece of junk, Richmond's Customer Service is horrible. Surprised that these bastards are still in business. If you are even contemplating buying a richmond hot water heater, run!!