Consumer Reviews of Richmond water heaters

Read more about Richmond water heaters

Date created: 2015-12-23 Location: Baldwin, GA

"Review for Richmond 40 Gallon Electric Water Heater"
My home was already equipped with a Richmond 40 gallon water heater when we purchased it six years ago. In the six years of owning the water heater, I haven't had any functional troubles with it requiring repair. It has been rock solid in terms of operation and maintaining constant temperature to the water. Everything on my Richmond heater is clearly marked including power, the plumbing lines and the identifiers on the unit. This is a big benefit for finding information quickly for future purposes. This model would be perfect for an individual, a couple, or a small family as it is the 40 gallon model. The biggest benefits have been its longevity. It's basically maintenance free, it's quick to reheat the entire tank, and most importantly it's very easy on the budget in terms of efficiency. Since the time is getting close to replace it due to its age, I will definitely purchase the same model again (if available).

Date created: 2015-11-24 Name: James

"Unhappily own one"
3 months and it won't make hot water over 137 degrees.

Date created: 2015-10-02 Location: Chicago, IL

"Richmond water heater, could be better."
In our house we actually have 2 water heaters - one that controls the upstairs water, and the other one controls the downstairs water. We've owned both of these water heaters for around 10 years now. What I like is how fast these water heaters are. I can turn on my sink or my bathtub and have warm/hot water in less than a minute. My old water heaters I had to leave the water running for up to 3 minutes sometimes! But there is one big downfall to these water heaters, the sensor. About 2 or 3 times a year there is something wrong with the sensor and we have no hot water. So I have to call a repairman to come and fix it for $130 each time. We even used our warranty and got brand new water heaters, but they have the same problem. Seeing as we've had these for 10 years, we are definitely going to be replacing them the next time the sensor goes out. While I do like how fast they are, the sensor problem is not worth it.

Date created: 2015-01-13 Name: MICHAEL A ELLMAN
Location: Erie, PA

"3 star"
After two months of working great, my water heater went out. I called Richmond, and after a few rounds we were able to get on the same page. The first part was not the fix but my plumber. H. Dale Rosenquest was able to get me hot water with his skill and knowledge while we waited for the correct part. Mr. Rosenquest installed the correct part and all is good now. 5 stars to H. Dale Rosenquest Heating & Cooling.

Date created: 2015-01-08 Name: judson bullard
Location: Burt, MI

"Poor"
I got a Richmond, the one that is all enclosed. I got it in 2008 and it started to shut itself off. No one said that if the vent under the hot water heater needs to be cleaned, it will build up with fumes and blow up in your face. I called Menards and they said it needs a thermocouple, so I replaced it I told them that a friend said that there was a vent under it. The man and girl said they never heard of it, so I changed the thermocouple and hit the striker and it blew up in my friends face. It burned his eyes and all his hair, and flames were going up the vent pipe. It blew the window and plate off the tank. My name is Jud, 989-401-4442, call me and tell me if it's true about the vent under the tank. Thank you. Don't ever buy a Richmond anything. The repair man said I should contact Richmond but there is no number. I can see why now.

Date created: 2014-12-24 Name: Matt
Location: Menomonie, WI

"Worst water heater"
This unit has a six-year warranty on it. But two years ago, it started to go downhill. Every quarter, I have to adjust the burner or replace it with a new one. In less than 1 1/2 years, I replaced the burner three times already. Now there's a problem with the gas valve and the blowing vent. Oh yeah, there's also fucking bad customer service and parts delivery.

Date created: 2014-12-13 Name: Brian Timm
Location: Arlington, NE

"The product and the customer service are equally awful"
I purchased the water heater and it did not work. I called customer service several times. They finally said they would overnight the part to fix it. They did overnight a part; too bad it was the wrong part. I called back and they had no idea how the wrong part was sent. They couldn't care less that their products are junk and that their customer service employees are totally inept. We will be returning the piece of junk to the store it was purchased from.

Date created: 2014-12-06 Name: Ken Gunvalson
Location: Gonvick, MN

"Model GEP20-1"
We purchased a Richmond 20-gallon electric point-of-use water heater from our local Menards in 2012. We had it installed by a local plumber in a garage guest apartment. The plumber had been unable to locate the anode (normally readily visible on the exterior of the water heater) while installing it, despite the manual diagram showing a dotted circular line with an arrow saying "anode". Nowhere in the manual is there mention that this dotted line means the anode is accessible only from inside the cover. After installation, the odor that filled the apartment anytime hot water was used made the space uninhabitable. Before attempting to solve the situation, my husband called the only number listed in the manual that came with the heater - The Manufacturer's National Service Department 800-432-8373. The woman that answered stated that the anode was accessible on the bottom of the heater. My husband questioned this statement, as the diagram showed it positioned on the top. The representative at this company very sarcastically insisted that the anode was located on the bottom of the heater regardless of what the manual said. She had been given the model and serial number and insisted she was right. After a few hours removing the heater, chipping away the foam insulation and taking apart the bottom of the heater, he discovered that there was no anode. But when he then disassembled the top of the heater, there was the anode, under the cover, as shown in the diagram. There are 3 areas that need to be remedied to make your product worth purchasing: 1.The anode should be accessible for replacement without taking the entire heater apart and destroying the insulation. 2. The manual should state clearly that the anode is inside the top of the heater - explain the dotted line symbol. 3. Train the representative at your service number to provide correct support information in a professional manner. We will tell our local Menards and Home Depot, our local plumber and anyone that asks about small water heaters to avoid Richmond.

Date created: 2014-11-08 Name: Donn Miller
Location: Kaneville, IL

"Another customer service disaster"
Bought a 50 gallon water heater at Menards. The plumber installed it, and it wouldn't ignite. Found out that it was the control. I called customer service and was told they couldn't get one out to me until Tuesday. This was Friday. I argued with the customer service rep and supervisor for 45 minutes. Bottom line, they couldn't help, other than what they told me. I'm very unsatisfied with the total lack of help from them. I recommend you look elsewhere for a water heater.

Date created: 2014-11-02 Name: Lisa Stange
Location: Des Moines, IA

"Two of these went bad on us"
We've had two of these units go bad, one a week after the warranty expired and one in 2014, despite both being manufactured four years ago! Rust at the top, rust at the bottom, and general malfunction.