Consumer Reviews of Richmond water heaters

Read more about Richmond water heaters

Date created: 2015-05-16 Name: Disgruntled Customer
Location: Northwest AR

"Control valve defective after six months"
We had a new Richmond water heater installed less than six months ago. It stopped working tonight, so I got out the paperwork and called the company that sold and installed the heater. It was around 8:30 on a Saturday night. The man who answered didn't say anything other than hello, so I asked if I had reached Economic Plumbing. He mumbled something, so I started to explain that the hot water heater we had bought from him had stopped working and asked if he provided warranty service. He immediately started yelling that he didn't sell us a hot water heater, that he only installed them. I explained that we had paid his company in full for both the water heater and the installation, and he once again started yelling that he didn't sell the heaters and that I had to take up any warranty with Maverick Supply, who he claimed sold me the water heater despite the fact I had received only one bill, and it was from his company for the materials and installation. He then said he only warranted the install and that he could only sell me another water heater and that I would have to contact the dealer or the manufacturer. So, I've got no hot water for a couple of days until the supply company opens on Monday.

Date created: 2015-01-13 Name: MICHAEL A ELLMAN
Location: Erie, PA

"3 star"
After two months of working great, my water heater went out. I called Richmond, and after a few rounds we were able to get on the same page. The first part was not the fix but my plumber. H. Dale Rosenquest was able to get me hot water with his skill and knowledge while we waited for the correct part. Mr. Rosenquest installed the correct part and all is good now. 5 stars to H. Dale Rosenquest Heating & Cooling.

Date created: 2015-01-08 Name: judson bullard
Location: Burt, MI

"Poor"
I got a Richmond, the one that is all enclosed. I got it in 2008 and it started to shut itself off. No one said that if the vent under the hot water heater needs to be cleaned, it will build up with fumes and blow up in your face. I called Menards and they said it needs a thermocouple, so I replaced it I told them that a friend said that there was a vent under it. The man and girl said they never heard of it, so I changed the thermocouple and hit the striker and it blew up in my friends face. It burned his eyes and all his hair, and flames were going up the vent pipe. It blew the window and plate off the tank. My name is Jud, 989-401-4442, call me and tell me if it's true about the vent under the tank. Thank you. Don't ever buy a Richmond anything. The repair man said I should contact Richmond but there is no number. I can see why now.

Date created: 2014-12-24 Name: Matt
Location: Menomonie, WI

"Worst water heater"
This unit has a six-year warranty on it. But two years ago, it started to go downhill. Every quarter, I have to adjust the burner or replace it with a new one. In less than 1 1/2 years, I replaced the burner three times already. Now there's a problem with the gas valve and the blowing vent. Oh yeah, there's also fucking bad customer service and parts delivery.

Date created: 2014-12-13 Name: Brian Timm
Location: Arlington, NE

"The product and the customer service are equally awful"
I purchased the water heater and it did not work. I called customer service several times. They finally said they would overnight the part to fix it. They did overnight a part; too bad it was the wrong part. I called back and they had no idea how the wrong part was sent. They couldn't care less that their products are junk and that their customer service employees are totally inept. We will be returning the piece of junk to the store it was purchased from.

Date created: 2014-12-06 Name: Ken Gunvalson
Location: Gonvick, MN

"Model GEP20-1"
We purchased a Richmond 20-gallon electric point-of-use water heater from our local Menards in 2012. We had it installed by a local plumber in a garage guest apartment. The plumber had been unable to locate the anode (normally readily visible on the exterior of the water heater) while installing it, despite the manual diagram showing a dotted circular line with an arrow saying "anode". Nowhere in the manual is there mention that this dotted line means the anode is accessible only from inside the cover. After installation, the odor that filled the apartment anytime hot water was used made the space uninhabitable. Before attempting to solve the situation, my husband called the only number listed in the manual that came with the heater - The Manufacturer's National Service Department 800-432-8373. The woman that answered stated that the anode was accessible on the bottom of the heater. My husband questioned this statement, as the diagram showed it positioned on the top. The representative at this company very sarcastically insisted that the anode was located on the bottom of the heater regardless of what the manual said. She had been given the model and serial number and insisted she was right. After a few hours removing the heater, chipping away the foam insulation and taking apart the bottom of the heater, he discovered that there was no anode. But when he then disassembled the top of the heater, there was the anode, under the cover, as shown in the diagram. There are 3 areas that need to be remedied to make your product worth purchasing: 1.The anode should be accessible for replacement without taking the entire heater apart and destroying the insulation. 2. The manual should state clearly that the anode is inside the top of the heater - explain the dotted line symbol. 3. Train the representative at your service number to provide correct support information in a professional manner. We will tell our local Menards and Home Depot, our local plumber and anyone that asks about small water heaters to avoid Richmond.

Date created: 2014-11-08 Name: Donn Miller
Location: Kaneville, IL

"Another customer service disaster"
Bought a 50 gallon water heater at Menards. The plumber installed it, and it wouldn't ignite. Found out that it was the control. I called customer service and was told they couldn't get one out to me until Tuesday. This was Friday. I argued with the customer service rep and supervisor for 45 minutes. Bottom line, they couldn't help, other than what they told me. I'm very unsatisfied with the total lack of help from them. I recommend you look elsewhere for a water heater.

Date created: 2014-11-02 Name: Lisa Stange
Location: Des Moines, IA

"Two of these went bad on us"
We've had two of these units go bad, one a week after the warranty expired and one in 2014, despite both being manufactured four years ago! Rust at the top, rust at the bottom, and general malfunction.

Date created: 2014-09-24 Name: Eric Ellis
Location: Valparaiso, IN

"Don't buy this!"
Purchased this hot water heater from Menards. First the gas valve was replaced, but I had to install it. Next, over time, the replacement gas valve malfunctioned. I reset this thing multiple times daily. Called company customer service. This is unbelievable...they told me to remove the gas burner, describe what I saw, re-install the burner, and they would send me the new gas valve. We all had plumbing 101 in college, right? Now, I'm not a plumber and burners are inside gas chambers. This is very dangerous. But like a fool, I did it. Guess what happened next? Mind you, I'm resetting this pos multiple times a day so that we can shower and clean dishes. The gas valve never came. I waited an additional week and called customer service back. I was mad. They said that they didn't have the part. Really? I'm calling the manufacturer. No part? No one told me this. Had I known this, I would have just replaced the whole hot water heater again. Listen, it was a good thing I wasn't elderly or needed assistance or didn't blow myself up. Richmond's warranty is pitiful and their customer service is hollow and useless. Don't make the mistake I did. Do not buy this hot water heater. Hopefully Menards listens.

Date created: 2014-09-09 Name: L. Farrell
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA

"Crappy service"
The vent is broken, and we have been without hot water for 1 1/2 weeks. Our answer? We are waiting for the part. Bull s____. It may be 2-3 weeks before we get hot water. Imagine washing at the sink, boiling water for dishes, etc. They owe us big time. Has anyone else dealt with this?