Consumer Reviews of Richmond water heaters

Read more about Richmond water heaters

Date created: 2018-09-11 Name: Jesse B.
Location: Black Creek, WI

"Bad Company, poor customer service"
Do not, I repeat, do not buy a water heater with Eco-net display. Our unit was built on 6-28-2018 and failed after a power outage on 9-4-2018. It was told to us by the warranty service company that this was a known issue and the panel had been re-designed. We have decided to remove the water heater and return it to Menards. This is a terrible company to purchase a water heater through; the service is horrendous! It took five days for someone to come on out, and they did not have the part to fix the unit because the company believes that the part is too expensive for their service people to have stocked in their vans. The service man came out on a Saturday, and of course the company is closed, so the part was not able to be ordered until Monday. Unfortunately, the part was out of stock. Since they were out of stock, they said they could replace our entire water heater. Unfortunately, it took three weeks for the custom order to be done through Menards. We were not willing to be without hot water for an additional three weeks, absolutely ridiculous, do not buy from this company! Buyer beware!

Date created: 2018-09-02 Name: SNM122
Location: Ohio

"A Very Nice Water Heater"
I purchased this unit from Menards (on sale) just when my 21 year old AO Smith 80 gallon unit starting going bad. This unit can be programmed by the degree (ours is set at 112 degrees), and has programmable features that allow you to keep track of it even remotely. It is quiet, efficient, has never run out of hot water for up to 4 people, and has a brass quick turn drain valve for easy, dripless flushing for service purposes. All this, plus a 12 year warranty makes for a great unit (plus it's made by Rheem).
Date created: 2018-08-17 Name: [email protected] Geiser
Location: Chilton, WI

"Water Heater Does not Work"
Water heater fails after 2 years. Tech support is terrible. You can do all the things they want and they will come with more and more things to test. They will also leave you on hold for 45 minutes at a time. They make you get heating people out till it costs more than the unit is worth. I will never buy another Richmond hot water again!
Date created: 2018-06-27 Name: R. Ciancaglini
Location: Rushville NY

"Richmond gs Water Heater"
I moved into my brand new house in Upstate New York in August 98. The hot water heater that was in the basement is a Richmond 40 gal gas water heater. I have not replaced it or had any maintenance done on it. I think 20 years for a hot water heater is excellent and when this one decides to give up, I will buy another Richmond without a doubt.
Date created: 2018-04-12 Name: Mike Mokry
Location: Wilmington, IL

"Don't waste your money!!!!"
For anyone considering buying a Richmond Water Heater, especially ones from Menards, please don't! Our brand new electric water heater that we installed on 3/7 has been acting up. It comes with a 2 year in-home full warranty. Called support the other day and they wanted me to do some troubleshooting with a multi-meter, as they assumed the lower heating element might be bad. (From reading online reviews and comments, looks to be a common issue with their product) Said I would rather have someone come onsite to diagnose. Tech came out this morning, and yep, the lower heating element is faulty. Replacement part is being ordered, but can't guarantee overnight delivery, so might be a couple of days before it is received. Had to shut off the water heater, cause it could fry out the upper heating element, so no hot water for the time being. Last time I will ever buy a Richmond product!!
Date created: 2018-03-18 Name: Allen L Schweitzer
Location: Downs, KS

"3 fails in 5 years? YOU BETCHA!"
I had owned a Bosch for 6 years and loved it, but we moved from that house in 2012. I knew that when we moved into our new home, the tank water heater wouldn't last much longer, and sure enough it failed in 2013. We bought a Richmond High efficiency tankless remembering how much we loved our Bosch. The first one failed within 2 years and was warrantied. That one failed again, and was warrantied. In 2016, we got our 3rd one, and last week, after less than 2 year of operation, it needed "descaled". Nobody knew how to do this because nobody in my area had ever had to do it. We descaled it last weekend. That was less than 1 week ago. This morning, it was leaking water, so I shut the water off to it. I turned the water on for hot water tonight and I'm getting a "blower motor" error code. This piece of crap has more error codes than anything I've ever seen! I've never owned anything this horrible. Tomorrow, I'm going shopping for a new tank hot water heater. These a- holes should be sued. Never buy a rheem or a richmond. They should not be allowed to operate in the united states.
Date created: 2017-11-29 Name: Dave B
Location: Wisconsin

"Don't Buy"
We removed our 37 year old water heater because, at best, we got a lukewarm bath for one person and had to wait 20 minutes to warm back up. Now, we get a lukewarm bath and wait 20 minutes to warm back up. Am cranking up the heat to see if we can get at least 2 baths out of it, or at least a complete warm one. Do research, buy a better rated water heater.
Date created: 2017-11-11 Name: John Biggs
Location: Chesterton, IN

"Terrible Heater Even Worse Costemer Service"
Purchased the new water heater and installed it for my 84 year old mother on a Friday. After Installing it I attempted to light it following every step of the instructions after several hrs. Of trying to light the burner I got mad enough to call customer service, I went through several home tests following the tech support and after all that we agreed that the new 450$ water heater had a bad control valve. I was given a case number in case I had to call back and told that they would next day ship it to her house. Then I was asked if I felt okay installing it and I said yes but I should not have to I told them to send someone to do it. I was told that a certified installer would contact me within 24 hrs. Well the part did not come the next day and the installer didn't call. Called them back Saturday then they informed me that it would be Monday or Tuesday before I received to new valve since I called After 2 pm. So She will be without hot water for 5 days because of a bad purchase. This 2 hr. Job turned into 5 days. As a residential builder I am informing all sub contractors, friends, and family of the quality and service of these heaters.
Date created: 2017-07-02 Name: Jeff
Location: Eden Prairie, MN

"Happy so far"
Thought I would post this since there are so many bad reviews on these water heaters. This is an initial review and only speaks to the purchase and installation of the unit. I purchased this unit from Menards on sale a couple of weeks ago, Late June 2017. Unit was delivered on time and in perfect condition out of the box, Old water heater being removed was 9 year Richmond 40 gallon short that was 15 years old and still working perfectly. Never had a service call on it and never drained to clean it. Only replaced it because I figured it probably was about time. The new water heater was installed by myself [ not a pro] and everything went well. Unit is 2 inches taller than the last but still fit existing vent and gas hook ups. The owners manual shows a different gas valve but a supplement sheet was included for the gas valve on my heater. I followed the instructions and the pilot light lit right away and the main burner fired right up when I turned the valve to on. It is working perfectly for the first 2 days which I realize does not speak to the reliability or longevity. However it does speak to the dead out of the box and unit would not light first time. I don't doubt others reviews, this is just my experience so far. If this unit gives me trouble or does not perform to expectations over time I will post another review.
Date created: 2017-04-04 Name: KARODY ROBBINS
Location: Salina, KS

"Customer Service Trained to Avoid Standing Behind Warranty"
Have had this unit less than a year. 6 months into our installation, it quit working. After tons of phone calls and labor in a 2 week time span (without any hot water), they sent us a new motherboard to install. Now, 5 months later, the unit has quit working again. Yesterday, I spent an hour on the phone, working through "diagnostics" and being transferred 3 times before I had to hang up to care for crying baby. Today, my husband (plumber) has spent over an hour on the phone with "customer service" reps instructing him to run meaningless "diagnostics" and transferring him 5 times in that hour. The last one was very rude to him. They have no intention of honoring that warranty, because they just say your water is causing the problem. Service counter at Menards says we have to deal with Richmond customer service. Richmond customer service does not intend to honor warranty. We are going back to Menards (with whom we do a large volume of business) to see if we can pressure them into honoring Richmond's warranty with an exchange. Not only will we never buy a Richmond/Rheem product again, we will be sure to tell anyone we can not to waste their money. I hope someone from their company reads this and understands that providing customer service is just as important as the original manufacture. In fact, we will likely not even buy a tankless again. My husband doesn't get to charge for his hours here at home and the hours he has put into this junk have not paid off in savings at all.