Consumer Reviews of Richmond water heaters

Read more about Richmond water heaters

Date created: 2017-04-04 Name: KARODY ROBBINS
Location: Salina, KS

"Customer Service Trained to Avoid Standing Behind Warranty"
Have had this unit less than a year. 6 months into our installation, it quit working. After tons of phone calls and labor in a 2 week time span (without any hot water), they sent us a new motherboard to install. Now, 5 months later, the unit has quit working again. Yesterday, I spent an hour on the phone, working through "diagnostics" and being transferred 3 times before I had to hang up to care for crying baby. Today, my husband (plumber) has spent over an hour on the phone with "customer service" reps instructing him to run meaningless "diagnostics" and transferring him 5 times in that hour. The last one was very rude to him. They have no intention of honoring that warranty, because they just say your water is causing the problem. Service counter at Menards says we have to deal with Richmond customer service. Richmond customer service does not intend to honor warranty. We are going back to Menards (with whom we do a large volume of business) to see if we can pressure them into honoring Richmond's warranty with an exchange. Not only will we never buy a Richmond/Rheem product again, we will be sure to tell anyone we can not to waste their money. I hope someone from their company reads this and understands that providing customer service is just as important as the original manufacture. In fact, we will likely not even buy a tankless again. My husband doesn't get to charge for his hours here at home and the hours he has put into this junk have not paid off in savings at all.

Date created: 2017-03-08 Name: Dustin Hanson
Location: Sandwich, IL

"Horrible, beware of this product and company"
I have owned my Encore on-demand heater for 2 years. Nothing but issues. About 1 year in we starting having issues with heater shutting down. We would have to reset the heater by powering on every day or so. It took a week of calls to find a service contractor for this heater. Such a pain. Finally the guy came out and repaired it. It worked for a month and cost us 350.00 for the repair. Then started doing it again. I tried to flush the system per Richmond specs for 2 hours with white vinegar. Still no help. Nothing worse than 5-8 times a week getting into a cold shower and having run to the basement to reset when your wet. This thing is a disaster! Called Richmond, wrote emails asking for help and no response,, ever!! They have to the worst customer service company out there. I would never buy again from Richmond. Ever!!

Date created: 2017-02-04 Name: Mike L
Location: Minneapolis, MN

"6 year warranty lasted 7 years"
Just replaced my parents Richmond water heater. Mdl 6g40-36f1 40 gallon natural gas. Manufacture date 11/2010. Started leaking February 20, 2017. Made it whole 15 months beyond warranty.

Date created: 2017-01-19 Name: T. Sotir
Location: 14527

"Richmond 30 gallon electric water heater"
I purchased a Richmond t2v30-2 30 gallon mobile home water heater 3 years ago. 2 1/2 years later the water heater began to leak causing damage. The water heater was covered under warranty but like most mobile home water heaters was very difficult to replace. After 10 months with this replacement water heater the bottom heating element failed causing the unit to overheat and trip the relay. I am disappointed with the longevity of this product and its parts. I have 12 rental units and will not be using Richmond products in the future due to this experience.

Date created: 2017-01-09 Name: B. Sorensen
Location: Western NE

"Terrible"
Thought I was doing the environment good plus the idea of not running out of hot water sounded good. Neither are true. We waste more water hoping that it will start working. I bet it works on the first try 1 in 10. If it does not work we shut water off and turn back on in a couple minutes. The worst part about owning this is when we have company over to visit. We will put up with a lot in the privacy of our own home but when you have to explain to other people how you get hot water it sucks.

Date created: 2016-12-29 Name: R Blazel
Location: Southern Wisconsin

"Tri-Miser Plus 10yr warranty works after 20yr"
I installed a Richmond Tri-Miser Plus on 3-24-96 and it is still working fine on 12-29-16. My well water is very hard but always run a water softener before the water heater. Before my luck runs out, I'm looking to replace it with a Richmond Hybrid 12e50-hp.

Date created: 2016-11-28 Name: K. Gogerty
Location: Lockport, Il

"Garbage water heaters"
2 Richmond (made by Rheem) water heaters were replaced within 18 months, their product is a piece of garbage and Rheem does not back their product with an honest warranty... It will cost you more if you want the warranty to start on the new installation date. Otherwise, they will reimburse you but the warranty reverts back to the installation date of the previous one that malfunctioned. In other words, Rheem does not trust that their product will work properly for 6 years or the warranty would not be an issue! Never again will I purchase a Rheem product. Their customer service is the worst! Very unprofessional.

Date created: 2016-11-23 Name: D Doctor
Location: Warsaw IN

"Good performance"
Have had installed for 1 year now. Has worked with no problems. Fast water temp recovery. Very stable water temp when full flow in shower. Great on energy savings over conventional water heater. Recommend this water heater.

Date created: 2016-11-02 Name: john miles
Location: Milan, IL

"Bad product"
I bought a new Richmond water heater in March 2003 with a 12 year warranty, in January 2009 I was in the bathroom next to the water heater and it exploded through the top and spilled water all over the furnace room and basement. It was replaced by Menards at no cost in March 2009 and had a 12 year warranty also. November 1st, the replacement sprang a leak and spilled water all over the furnace room and basement carpet again. The last one they would not replace and I had to pay for a new one. Do not ever buy a product from this manufacturer.

Date created: 2016-10-24 Name: Chris Olson
Location: West Fargo, ND

"Unreliable equipment with horrible service to match."
Be ready to spend plenty of money fixing this thing. Even though you have a 9 or 12 year warranty on parts, only 1 year of in home labor is covered. I just spent $471.00 repairing a unit manufactured on November 13, 2013. Adding insult to injury, Rheem sent a wrong part after they sent us a bad part the first time. So much wasted time and money with these people - plus we were without water for two entire weeks.