Consumer Reviews of Rheem water heaters

Read more about Rheem water heaters

Date created: 2014-12-09 Name: T. Stram
Location: Hayward, CA

"Don't buy a Rheem"
Do not buy a Rheem hot water heater. We purchased this brand new heater in August, and 3 months later we had no hot water! I contacted Rheem - a very maddening process - and had to call twice and wait on hold, as the first technician did not think we had the problem we had. Basically, the pilot went out and would not stay lit. This shuts the water heater off, it's a safety mechanism. The second technician told us there was no certified warranty repair contractor in our area (Bay area in northern California?). He said they would overnight the part and that it was an easy repair that we could do ourselves. It took 6 days to get the overnighted part, and no way if you're not a water heater repairman could you do it yourself. No plumber we contacted would touch it. As soon as we said Rheem the answer was no, we don't do those. Several people laughed and told us good luck. After one week without hot water, we found out by calling Home Depot there is a certified repair person in our area. After another hour-long call to Rheem and much bitching, I was finally connected to someone who knew what they were doing. Long story short, this could have been repaired in 2 days, but Rheem customer service sucks. We've never had a brand new water heater break, and for them to make us go through this for a warranty issue is just beyond the pale. Do not buy a Rheem. We never will again!

Date created: 2014-11-12 Name: K. Sader
Location: Deptford, NJ

"Didn't even last 6 years"
Nearly 6 years ago, we finished our basement and decided to replace our working hot water heater, since it was 10 years old. We upgraded from what the builder had installed and now, less than 6 years later, it's leaking! It comes with a 12-year warranty, but I won't get a full refund because I've had it this long. What's really annoying is the inconvenience!

Date created: 2014-08-18 Name: Roger Taylor
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Poor quality"
This is my second Rheem water-heater failure. The first, an 8 yr. Warranty lasted 5 years and the second, another 8 yr. Warranty, lasted 3.5 years. Both water-heaters developed a leak at top of tank. In both cases, it was less expensive to buy new at Home Depot and self install than to try getting credit on warranty. Product is poor quality and warranty is of very limited value.

Date created: 2014-06-28 Name: Mike Ransom
Location: Tremonton, Utah

"Gas control failure"
The plumber replaced an old water heater. I wasn't concerned about the brand, until two years later, when the gas control unit on the water heater failed. There was no hot water, and the family needed showers, baths, and the ability to wash, clothes, dishes and their hands at other times. As an emergency measure we replaced the water heater with the same brand and type. The plumber contacted Rheem for a warranty replacement. He was referred to their technical support team so a claim could be opened under the water heater serial number. After two months the letter came that the parts for the gas control valve will be sent, at some future date. This is the extent of Rheems warranty involvement. No replacement water heater. No reimbursement for the cost of replacing their brand water heater with the same size and type of their brand. Certainly no timely response. Their warranty policy would result in two months, (or longer, depending on when the gas control parts are actually sent) without a water heater. More than an inconvenience. Rheem is in the business of providing an essential appliance that makes a home more than a stucco tent. Their warranty policy ignores that fact. I don't envy the family that needs to wait for Rheem to respond to their warranty needs.

Date created: 2014-06-24 Name: V.T
Location: Pinol, CA

"Piece of Junk & lying Rep"
I had a brand new Rheem water heater installed by professional, less than two years and it needs service, the pilot does not stay lit. Called the manufacture, luckily I got thru, after telling them what happen they will send 2 parts to replace, one part came on time, the other never showed up. Called everyday to confirmed if the gas control valve had been shipped. Reps gave me same answer "it should arrive on Monday" Nothing showed up after 5 days later, called again. Was told by another rep nothing had been sent (wtf). That will be 7-8+ days without hot water for my family with 3 young children. If that will solved the problem. Never ever buy Rheem product again. I'm in the middle of buying a new heating & cooling system, Rheem will not be the one for sure.

Date created: 2014-05-17 Name: GEORGE
Location: Independence mo

"Rip off company"
Buy a new water heater from home depot and after one month the water heater pilot light won't stay lit. Because I had disconnected the water heater over the weekend and bought a Whirlpool and had it installed Rheem refused to issue me a return authorization number. They said that by disconnecting it I voided the warranty. Well, they should try and live with a pregnant woman who doesn't have hot water. They sold me a faulty unit and then refused to take it back or allow me to exchange it for a different one. In my opinion Rheem is as about as scandalous as they come.

Date created: 2014-04-29 Name: K. Ross
Location: Mount Juliet, TN

"Rheem Electric Hot Water Heater Defective"
I purchased this Rheem Electric Hot heater new and it came with a bad heating element. My service person tested the unit with his meter and was able to tell immediately that the heating element had no OHMNs which meant the heating element was not working. Rheem standard policy is they will not replace a new defective unit however they would send me the part and then I could have my service man fix the brand new unit. I was also informed they have no customer service department and obviously Rheem has no concerns for product quality or customer satisfaction. I will never personally buy another Rheem product.

Date created: 2013-05-25 Name: Mike Montgomery
Location: Fort Worth, tx

"Electronics Failed While Still Under Warranty! Heat Exchanger Failed, Just Out of 5 Year Warranty!!"
Changed to tankless water heating expecting considerable long range savings. Rheem heat exchanger was warranted for 5 years. The heat exchanger failed at 5 years and a few months. The heat exchanger is not warranted and not even replaceable. Unit is total loss at 5 years. Simple electric water heater would in long run be cheaper than the expensive on demand Rheem, Ruud, Commercial on demand. Would not use this brand again. Bosch heater I have can replace the exchanger.

Date created: 2013-01-19 Name: Bob Higgins
Location: Granada Hills, CA

"GE Ultra Low NOx Ge"
Brought this hot water heater back in 2009, replaced thermo-coupler 3 times. Called technical support 4 days, first day technition said to get up on the roof and check for a birds nest in the vent pipe! 3Rd day called and asked to speak to supervisor she put me on hold for 28 minutes. It's a matter of wearing you down and not living up to the warranty! I will never buy another ge product!!!!!! My father swore by ge, I don't know what happened.

Date created: 2012-12-06 Name: Christina Edwards
Location: Hartford CT

"VERY UNSATISFIED"
I have had a brand new Rheem hot water heater for only two years and it needs service already. Two years? Are you freaking kidding me? I have no hot water at all. According to the manufacturer it is the ignitor. Oh and you are lucky if you can get in touch with the manufacturer. I would never purchase this brand again.