Consumer Reviews of Rheem water heaters

Read more about Rheem water heaters

Date created: 2015-07-16 Location: Delray Beach, FL

"Fifty Gallon Rheem Boiler"
I have owned this Rheem 50 gallon water heater for roughly five years, and it has been pretty decent the whole time. I got a great deal on it at the time so that helped me make the decision to buy, in addition to Rheem's positive reputation. Overall, it has helped me reduce my energy costs because it is insulated more effectively than some previous brands I have owned. It is also very easy to adjust the temperature by removing a small panel on the side. Since I have installed it, I have had no issues with leaks or noises coming from the unit. When using hot water it the house, the response time is very quick. We are a family of four and we rarely, if ever, run out of hot water, even after several showers. Overall I would highly recommend this to any homeowners looking for a 50 gallon water heater.

Date created: 2015-05-29 Location: Charleston, SC

"Great Water Heater for the Price"
We purchased our home with this water heater in it. We were a little concerned because the previous home-owner had actually bought it used (a big no no for water heaters in general). The closing agent suggested that we stipulate that if the water heater developed mechanical issues within the first 24 months, the previous homeowner would be responsible for replacing it. They agreed and now, we've hit the 24-mo mark with no issues whatsoever. In a house where 4 people like to take very hot and long showers, it seems to either have an endless supply or is very quick in heating it up. Also, I understand that it was actually a very good deal. A family was demolishing their old house in the hopes of selling it to a nearby farm and, as they were moving to a pre-built, they weren't in need of it anymore. We couldn't be happier with this water heater and look forward to many more happy years with it!

Date created: 2015-05-08 Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

"Rheem model 81SV30D B review"
I am very satisfied with my Rheem water heater. I have never had to repair or replace it. I have owned it for 10 years and it is older than that. It was here for years before I bought my home. It keeps the water as hot as I want it. It is very easy to set. I would absolutely recommend this boiler to anyone, including any of my friends. It had a six year warranty for parts and labor. It holds 30 gallons and runs at 4500 W. It has a diameter of 17 inches, and a height of 44 inches. It is an extremely well-built residential electrical product. When the hot water is exhausted, which takes at least 30 minutes, it very quickly heats the water so that it becomes very hot again. Even with the dishwasher on and the shower on at the same time there is always plenty of hot water. Every water heater should be as reliable and dependable as this one is.

Date created: 2015-05-05 Location: South San Francisco, CA

"My boiler is great. Very long lasting and dependable."
I've had this boiler for over a year now. I like that it has an electronic diagnostic gas valve that monitors my system. The one thing I dislike about it is the color. I wish it came in white. I heard from a friend that this is a good brand so I bought one to replace my old boiler. So far it is holding up as expected. Our family uses a lot of hot water so we turn it up to the maximum setting. It boils the water fast and we like it very much. Right now it is installed in our garage and barely takes up anymore space than our old boiler. This new boiler seems to save us on our gas bill too because I've notice that our energy bill went down quite a bit. Overall I would recommend this boiler to anybody that's in the market to purchase one. Just be sure to check if the place you buy from delivers for free because it is quite heavy and you don't want a big delivery bill along with it.

Date created: 2015-03-24 Name: Samantha Hobbs
Location: Kentucky

"Crappy products"
I bought a mobile home with this type of hot water heater. I have only used it for 6 months and it has already stopped working. When I called Rheem, I was told that they do not do any type of labor and they would only send parts. Well, how do you know what part to send when you don't even know what the problem is? Since they will not honor their warranty, I guess I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau in regards to them violating their agreement! Do not buy anything with this brand on it!

Date created: 2015-03-10 Location: Sarasota, FL

"We Recommend This Great Boiler!"
The Rheem boiler was already installed in our home when we moved in two years ago. Since then, the boiler has been very dependable. The machine delivers hot water whenever we need it and does not make any sound in the process. The only thing that could be improved is that it could have hot water for longer time. The hot water expires after about a 15 " 20 min shower and sometimes that is not enough time. Afterwards, we have to wait at least one hour for more hot water to be available, which we would say is about average wait time for hot water. We have been advised to turn down the temperature of the hot water to save on energy bills, but I do not know how to do that exactly. Overall, we are very content and satisfied with the workings of the boiler, since it has not given us any big problems. We would recommend this product.

Date created: 2015-02-28 Name: Darrell Hunks
Location: Winnipeg

"No warranty"
2-Year-old tank and Rheem will not honor their warranty. It's junk.

Date created: 2015-02-06 Name: Francine McCarthy
Location: Parlin, NJ

"Don't buy Rheem"
I purchased a Rheem hot water heater which is only 3 months old. The shut- off device broke into pieces, and the result is no hot water. I had a licensed plumber look at it; he told me to order a replacement combustion shut-off device. When I called customer service they were very nasty and refused to send me the part. This heater is under a limited warranty for parts for 7 years. I was told that it was damaged and I would have to replace it.(Gee, how did they come to this conclusion, a Rheem plumber never diagnosed the problem). Don't buy Rheem because you will be getting rheemed!

Date created: 2014-12-30 Name: Joe M.
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA

"Don't buy a Rheem!"
Everything I have read regarding the negative reviews on this site are similar to what we experienced in dealing with Rheem. Less than 24 hours after installation of a new Rheem 40-gallon gas water heater, the pilot light went out and would not re-ignite. After calling the hotline, we were told by a Rheem technician that the problem we were experiencing was common and that it would require a new part being sent to us. We had already been without hot water for 1.5 days, and now it was going to be another 3 days due to the holidays to receive the replacement part. We declined the part so that we could instead go purchase another water heater by another brand that actually worked! Rheem's customer service is horrible, rude and inconsiderate. They told us we could not return the water heater and would have to accept the replacement part (which meant no hot water in the winter for 3 more days). Thankfully, Home Depot understands the value of customer service. The manager of Home Depot said he did not want to lose us as customers over a poor product. He also told us that they have had nothing but problems since agreeing to exclusively carry Rheem.

Date created: 2014-12-29 Name: K southwick
Location: Worcester, MA

"Lousy product"
I bought a brand new water heater from Home Depot and installed myself. I'm a licensed contractor. It worked for 3-4 days, and then, on Christmas Eve, nothing. I called Rheem. They said to call HD for a certified tech to come check it out. Well, HD had no installation techs. I called a local plumber and he came out. The installation was fine. He turned up the temperature 5 degrees and I paid him 85$. When he left, we had hot water for 2 days. I called Rheem back again told them the outcome. The customer service is horrible. I guess I was supposed to have the plumber speak with a Rheem representative and give his multimeter readings to them over the phone. So now the plumber has to come back and give the readings to them at another charge to me. Granted, Rheem will reimburse me up to $175. But what a joke - a brand new system not working at Christmastime in New England. I'll re-cap this review after the final outcome. I would not recommend this product to anyone. Buyer beware.