Consumer Reviews of Rheem water heaters

Read more about Rheem water heaters

Date created: 2015-05-08 Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

"Rheem model 81SV30D B review"
I am very satisfied with my Rheem water heater. I have never had to repair or replace it. I have owned it for 10 years and it is older than that. It was here for years before I bought my home. It keeps the water as hot as I want it. It is very easy to set. I would absolutely recommend this boiler to anyone, including any of my friends. It had a six year warranty for parts and labor. It holds 30 gallons and runs at 4500 W. It has a diameter of 17 inches, and a height of 44 inches. It is an extremely well-built residential electrical product. When the hot water is exhausted, which takes at least 30 minutes, it very quickly heats the water so that it becomes very hot again. Even with the dishwasher on and the shower on at the same time there is always plenty of hot water. Every water heater should be as reliable and dependable as this one is.

Date created: 2015-05-05 Location: South San Francisco, CA

"My boiler is great. Very long lasting and dependable."
I've had this boiler for over a year now. I like that it has an electronic diagnostic gas valve that monitors my system. The one thing I dislike about it is the color. I wish it came in white. I heard from a friend that this is a good brand so I bought one to replace my old boiler. So far it is holding up as expected. Our family uses a lot of hot water so we turn it up to the maximum setting. It boils the water fast and we like it very much. Right now it is installed in our garage and barely takes up anymore space than our old boiler. This new boiler seems to save us on our gas bill too because I've notice that our energy bill went down quite a bit. Overall I would recommend this boiler to anybody that's in the market to purchase one. Just be sure to check if the place you buy from delivers for free because it is quite heavy and you don't want a big delivery bill along with it.

Date created: 2015-03-24 Name: Samantha Hobbs
Location: Kentucky

"Crappy products"
I bought a mobile home with this type of hot water heater. I have only used it for 6 months and it has already stopped working. When I called Rheem, I was told that they do not do any type of labor and they would only send parts. Well, how do you know what part to send when you don't even know what the problem is? Since they will not honor their warranty, I guess I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau in regards to them violating their agreement! Do not buy anything with this brand on it!

Date created: 2015-03-10 Location: Sarasota, FL

"We Recommend This Great Boiler!"
The Rheem boiler was already installed in our home when we moved in two years ago. Since then, the boiler has been very dependable. The machine delivers hot water whenever we need it and does not make any sound in the process. The only thing that could be improved is that it could have hot water for longer time. The hot water expires after about a 15 â€" 20 min shower and sometimes that is not enough time. Afterwards, we have to wait at least one hour for more hot water to be available, which we would say is about average wait time for hot water. We have been advised to turn down the temperature of the hot water to save on energy bills, but I do not know how to do that exactly. Overall, we are very content and satisfied with the workings of the boiler, since it has not given us any big problems. We would recommend this product.

Date created: 2015-02-28 Name: Darrell Hunks
Location: Winnipeg

"No warranty"
2-Year-old tank and Rheem will not honor their warranty. It's junk.

Date created: 2015-02-06 Name: Francine McCarthy
Location: Parlin, NJ

"Don't buy Rheem"
I purchased a Rheem hot water heater which is only 3 months old. The shut- off device broke into pieces, and the result is no hot water. I had a licensed plumber look at it; he told me to order a replacement combustion shut-off device. When I called customer service they were very nasty and refused to send me the part. This heater is under a limited warranty for parts for 7 years. I was told that it was damaged and I would have to replace it.(Gee, how did they come to this conclusion, a Rheem plumber never diagnosed the problem). Don't buy Rheem because you will be getting rheemed!

Date created: 2014-12-30 Name: Joe M.
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA

"Don't buy a Rheem!"
Everything I have read regarding the negative reviews on this site are similar to what we experienced in dealing with Rheem. Less than 24 hours after installation of a new Rheem 40-gallon gas water heater, the pilot light went out and would not re-ignite. After calling the hotline, we were told by a Rheem technician that the problem we were experiencing was common and that it would require a new part being sent to us. We had already been without hot water for 1.5 days, and now it was going to be another 3 days due to the holidays to receive the replacement part. We declined the part so that we could instead go purchase another water heater by another brand that actually worked! Rheem's customer service is horrible, rude and inconsiderate. They told us we could not return the water heater and would have to accept the replacement part (which meant no hot water in the winter for 3 more days). Thankfully, Home Depot understands the value of customer service. The manager of Home Depot said he did not want to lose us as customers over a poor product. He also told us that they have had nothing but problems since agreeing to exclusively carry Rheem.

Date created: 2014-12-29 Name: K southwick
Location: Worcester, MA

"Lousy product"
I bought a brand new water heater from Home Depot and installed myself. I'm a licensed contractor. It worked for 3-4 days, and then, on Christmas Eve, nothing. I called Rheem. They said to call HD for a certified tech to come check it out. Well, HD had no installation techs. I called a local plumber and he came out. The installation was fine. He turned up the temperature 5 degrees and I paid him 85$. When he left, we had hot water for 2 days. I called Rheem back again told them the outcome. The customer service is horrible. I guess I was supposed to have the plumber speak with a Rheem representative and give his multimeter readings to them over the phone. So now the plumber has to come back and give the readings to them at another charge to me. Granted, Rheem will reimburse me up to $175. But what a joke - a brand new system not working at Christmastime in New England. I'll re-cap this review after the final outcome. I would not recommend this product to anyone. Buyer beware.

Date created: 2014-12-28 Name: Edward Kavanaugh
Location: Brookfield, IL

"Bad quality control"
This hot water heater could have used some better quality control in assembly. One of the critical things that needs to be done is testing that it is working and that the pilot and main gas valve go on before leaving the plant! After I installed the unit, I purged the gas and water lines and then attempted to light the pilot while following the directions exactly. The pilot would not light after holding in the pilot valve and pressing the ignite repeatedly for over an hour. I then called technical support and they instructed me to blow through the pilot gas feed tube to see if it was clear and test the electronic igniter for spark, and all was okay. Then they told me to remove the burner assembly and look to see if the liquid tube inside the unit was full of fluid and standing straight up, and it also was okay. I called them back and told them it was all okay and they said that the only thing that they could do was to overnight a gas control valve assembly (the big white unit that sits outside of the tank) to me for replacement. I told them that I did smell gas coming out of the pilot orifice when I pressed in the pilot valve, but they didn't listen and insisted that the pilot was not getting enough gas and that the gas valve assembly needed to be replaced. Okay, I'm not going to argue with you; just send a $100-plus part on a guess and I'll keep it for a spare part. Well...it's time to do some good old blue collar repair for yourself! I took the burner assembly out and noticed that the igniter electrode was noticeably separated from the pilot orifice. I got out my channel locks and bent it closer to the pilot orifice and then pulled it back just a little so it would get a mixture of both gas and air. I then tried to light it with the igniter and WALLAH! It lit right away. I then installed the burner plate assembly back into the tank and went through the instruction and success - it lit up, the LED started flashing and I turned the knob to my desired temperature. I now have hot water and a happy wife = happy life. These tanks should be tested before they leave the factory and adjustments made. This was ridiculous!

Date created: 2014-12-23 Name: Jon Ruple
Location: Stockton, CA

"Horrible customer service"
Here is my last letter, sent to corporate and emailed to customer service: Dear Sir or Madam, I purchased a Rheem hot water heater from Home Depot in September, 2014 and had it installed. In November we heard noises coming from the new unit and called my plumber back out. He called Rheem and we were told a kit would be delivered the next day and a repairman dispatched. After a week, no delivery. I called back again, the wait time was 36 minutes. I was told that the information was wrong, it just needed an adjustment and someone would be dispatched. I asked why no one had informed me of this change in plans and was told they (Customer Service) do not call out. After another week and several attempts at email contact, I called again. Only 24 minutes hold time, an improvement. Tech support said they would dispatch a repairman. I told the tech, Jeremy, that this did not work in the past and asked for other solutions. By this time I was upset, and his take it or leave it solution was not much, but asked to “dispatch a repairman”. Nothing; no calls; nada. I called back. A new record - only 14 minutes on hold! This time I got the “authorized repair persons” number. I called and scheduled an appointment, but when no one came I had to call back. The lady at the office said they were pretty busy and could I call someone else. 1. Your Customer Service is terrible. 2. Your “authorized repair” in Stockton is a joke. 3. I am concerned that this unit may be dangerous and want it repaired or replaced immediately. Can you help me?