Consumer Reviews of Rheem water heaters

Read more about Rheem water heaters

Date created: 2016-06-11 Name: gerald bragg
Location: Euclid, OH

"Rip-off"
I live in Euclid, Ohio. The Home Depot and all the plumbers are aware that Euclid has a high water pressure problem. When I purchased my Rheem water heater they said nothing, my tank started leaking immediately. Then the installers come at you with another $400 repair fee. They are giving your product a bad name and its not Rheem's fault.

Date created: 2016-05-23 Location: Venice, FL

"Top Quality Rheem Water Heaters Save Money"
One of the most dependable appliances we own is our Rheem water heater. In the past 7 years we have never had one moment's problem with it. It provides all the hot water we need. This 40-gallon tall unit recovers quickly so that there is not a long wait for hot water to shower in when the laundry and dishwasher are also running. The body of the unit has never rusted or leaked. The quality is amazing. My only criticism would be that I wish I had a slightly smaller unit so that I could put it in a closet or something instead of in the garage. Overall, it is the best appliance in the house and saves us money on repairs and replacements.
Date created: 2016-05-20 Location: Des Moines, IA

"Reliable Water Heater Keeps My Shower Steaming"
I acquired my Rheem water heater when I purchased my home 4 years ago. I'll tell you, I inherited a beauty! With very little maintenance that thing has kept my water piping hot on demand through some pretty brutal changes in season. Nothing really bad about it. I had a tech out one summer for one minor concern, but it was fixed instantly. I've actually recommended the exact model I own to several remodeling projects I've contributed to. Definitely can't go wrong with this brand of Rheem. It's a professional choice for home owners who don't want to tend to leaky water heaters year round.
Date created: 2016-05-10 Location: Chicago, IL

"Awesome water heater brand!"
I have had this water heater for about 4 years. I had it professionally installed and it's absolutely amazing. It always seems to have hot water available, and I do love my long hot showers. I have yet to have a single problem with it, as it still runs like I just bought it. I'm sure it will run perfectly fine for the next few years. I would totally buy other Rheem brands, I might consider a smaller unit as I think this one is too big for my current needs, It's a huge water heater, just make sure you have enough clearance for it. I can't complain about the installation or product cost either, good value for everything. If you want a good decent professional water heater, buy a Rheem!
Date created: 2016-05-10 Location: Watertown, CT

"80 Gallon Electric Boiler"
I've personally owned by water heater for 6 months now (just bought my 10 year old house 6 months ago with this newer boiler). I like it because it heats up water and isn't that loud but I almost hate it because it's constantly heating up 80 gallons of water with electric energy constantly when we don't use 80 gallons of water (wasted energy and money). I haven't replaced it yet, but I will with an on-demand natural gas heater. I would buy the same brand, but not an electric heater. Natural gas is available in my street so I will be switching over as soon as I get approved by the installation company.
Date created: 2016-04-01 Location: Iowa City, Ia

"Rheem Guardian is small but keeps up with hot water demand for the most part"
We bought our home about a year ago and were delighted to have 4 bathrooms and bedrooms as we do have company quite a few weekends of the year. When we initially moved in I was delighted with how hot the water gets and that it doesn't take long to get it there. We have a toddler and a small business so we are constantly doing dishes and laundry and I believe hot water sterilizes things. Though we have not had to repair or work on it, other than adjusting the temperature because we have a toddler, I do wish the tank was larger. When we have company on the weekends it's very difficult to have more than one person shower at a time and it's also impossible to run the dishwasher while anyone would need to shower. With that, I do really enjoy the fact that it seems to bounce back rather quickly and replenish the hot water. We can have four adults take comfortable showers in a 1 1/2 hour time period which is much better than my previous water heater which took more than an 1 1/2 to refill. My only real complaint is that we have a large tub in our basement bathroom and if anyone has showered or used any hot water in the last 15 minutes you can't even fill the tub before the water turns cold. I don't often take baths but when I want to it always seems I'm running out of hot water at the end.
Date created: 2016-03-28 Location: Vancouver, WA

"Amazing Hot Water Heater"
We have owned our Rheem endless hot water heater for almost four years and we absolutely love it! I can have the dishwasher running, a load in the washing machine, my husband in the shower, and I can still run a hot bath. Whenever we travel we are reminded how amazing our hot water heater is, and how much we enjoy it. We've had two issues with the hot water heater: once during the summer when we moved in, and during the winter our second year. The first issue was related to a natural gas leak due to the way the hot water heater was installed. Our gas company came out immediately and fixed the problem. Our second problem was because of a heavy snow, there was a blockage that caused the hot water heater to stop producing hot water. We called the manufacturer and they helped us problem solve the issue over the phone in seconds. The one thing I would say is that we found that we have a really low gas bill, and that the hot water heater has three burners which probably have never all turned on at the same time.
Date created: 2016-03-19 Name: J. Toth
Location: Atlanta, GA

"Warranty is useless"
5 years into my 12 year warranty the pressure valve shot out of the water heater and hot water flooded my home. My independent plumber (he will earn nothing on my replacement purchase) told me that the glass had cracked inside the tank and that a new valve would not resolve the problem. After speaking to 4 "agents" by phone for 30 minutes (most of it hold time) I was told that they would send me a new valve ($8 value) or I could file a claim. 3 of the agents were impolite. Home Depot, the retailer that sold the product, would not assist. My replacement has been purchased at Lowe's.
Date created: 2016-02-02 Name: J. Rickey
Location: Galesburg, IL

"Not a simple swap"
I bought the Richmond Encore Whole House tankless hot water heater made by Rheem from Menards 11-6-12. Late winter of 2014, I have no hot water. I take a look at the unit to see if there is anything obvious I can see wrong and decide I should call the 1-800 number on the manual. After giving four different "tech-assist" the same information, I finally got one to tell me to take pictures of the unit, its vent pipe and several more pictures. I emailed the pictures and took more pictures as requested. I spent most of the day loading/emailing pictures to the techs. The techs call several hours later to notify me that with the warranty I could take the water heater back to the store I purchased the heater from and swap it out for a replacement. So I did. It was not fun or as easy as the company Rheem would like to make it sound. Menards was it's own kind of problem to deal with as well. Even with the Rheem case #, Menards wanted to give me a hard time. I got the replacement heater installed and working. January 19, 2016, no hot water. I repeated the same process as stated above. More pictures, emails and hours on the phone. 'Tech' says, "just swap it out." I asked what kind of warranty would the replacement have since this would be the third water heater I would have to install. Rheem said the warranty is only good from the original date of purchase. So with the warranty: 12 years heat exchanger, 5 years parts and 1 year labor, I would be paying for the fourth water heater if I were to buy into their warranty again. I didn't. I will not recommend this Richmond Encore Whole House water heater made by Rheem to anyone. Menards gave me 'in store credit' of the last sale price for the water heater because I didn't have my receipt.
Date created: 2016-01-11 Location: Cincinnati, OH

"Review of my Rheem Water Heater"
The Rheem XG50T12HE40U water heater is very simple looking but this is fine for a water heater. We have had this water heater in our house for only a few months, since December. I really like the capacity of the 50 gallon tank and I haven't had any issues with running out of hot water. I don't like that I cannot see the pilot flame though. It is also an extremely heavy water heater but I do like that the drain valve is brass. I just got it so I haven't had to repair it yet. I can't say much for it without having it a little longer but I would definitely consider a Rheem heater if I bought another one in the future.