Consumer Reviews of Rheem water heaters

Read more about Rheem water heaters

Date created: 2016-04-01 Location: Iowa City, Ia

"Rheem Guardian is small but keeps up with hot water demand for the most part"
We bought our home about a year ago and were delighted to have 4 bathrooms and bedrooms as we do have company quite a few weekends of the year. When we initially moved in I was delighted with how hot the water gets and that it doesn't take long to get it there. We have a toddler and a small business so we are constantly doing dishes and laundry and I believe hot water sterilizes things. Though we have not had to repair or work on it, other than adjusting the temperature because we have a toddler, I do wish the tank was larger. When we have company on the weekends it's very difficult to have more than one person shower at a time and it's also impossible to run the dishwasher while anyone would need to shower. With that, I do really enjoy the fact that it seems to bounce back rather quickly and replenish the hot water. We can have four adults take comfortable showers in a 1 1/2 hour time period which is much better than my previous water heater which took more than an 1 1/2 to refill. My only real complaint is that we have a large tub in our basement bathroom and if anyone has showered or used any hot water in the last 15 minutes you can't even fill the tub before the water turns cold. I don't often take baths but when I want to it always seems I'm running out of hot water at the end.

Date created: 2016-03-28 Location: Vancouver, WA

"Amazing Hot Water Heater"
We have owned our Rheem endless hot water heater for almost four years and we absolutely love it! I can have the dishwasher running, a load in the washing machine, my husband in the shower, and I can still run a hot bath. Whenever we travel we are reminded how amazing our hot water heater is, and how much we enjoy it. We've had two issues with the hot water heater: once during the summer when we moved in, and during the winter our second year. The first issue was related to a natural gas leak due to the way the hot water heater was installed. Our gas company came out immediately and fixed the problem. Our second problem was because of a heavy snow, there was a blockage that caused the hot water heater to stop producing hot water. We called the manufacturer and they helped us problem solve the issue over the phone in seconds. The one thing I would say is that we found that we have a really low gas bill, and that the hot water heater has three burners which probably have never all turned on at the same time.

Date created: 2016-03-19 Name: J. Toth
Location: Atlanta, GA

"Warranty is useless"
5 years into my 12 year warranty the pressure valve shot out of the water heater and hot water flooded my home. My independent plumber (he will earn nothing on my replacement purchase) told me that the glass had cracked inside the tank and that a new valve would not resolve the problem. After speaking to 4 "agents" by phone for 30 minutes (most of it hold time) I was told that they would send me a new valve ($8 value) or I could file a claim. 3 of the agents were impolite. Home Depot, the retailer that sold the product, would not assist. My replacement has been purchased at Lowe's.

Date created: 2016-02-02 Name: J. Rickey
Location: Galesburg, IL

"Not a simple swap"
I bought the Richmond Encore Whole House tankless hot water heater made by Rheem from Menards 11-6-12. Late winter of 2014, I have no hot water. I take a look at the unit to see if there is anything obvious I can see wrong and decide I should call the 1-800 number on the manual. After giving four different "tech-assist" the same information, I finally got one to tell me to take pictures of the unit, its vent pipe and several more pictures. I emailed the pictures and took more pictures as requested. I spent most of the day loading/emailing pictures to the techs. The techs call several hours later to notify me that with the warranty I could take the water heater back to the store I purchased the heater from and swap it out for a replacement. So I did. It was not fun or as easy as the company Rheem would like to make it sound. Menards was it's own kind of problem to deal with as well. Even with the Rheem case #, Menards wanted to give me a hard time. I got the replacement heater installed and working. January 19, 2016, no hot water. I repeated the same process as stated above. More pictures, emails and hours on the phone. 'Tech' says, "just swap it out." I asked what kind of warranty would the replacement have since this would be the third water heater I would have to install. Rheem said the warranty is only good from the original date of purchase. So with the warranty: 12 years heat exchanger, 5 years parts and 1 year labor, I would be paying for the fourth water heater if I were to buy into their warranty again. I didn't. I will not recommend this Richmond Encore Whole House water heater made by Rheem to anyone. Menards gave me 'in store credit' of the last sale price for the water heater because I didn't have my receipt.

Date created: 2016-01-11 Location: Cincinnati, OH

"Review of my Rheem Water Heater"
The Rheem XG50T12HE40U water heater is very simple looking but this is fine for a water heater. We have had this water heater in our house for only a few months, since December. I really like the capacity of the 50 gallon tank and I haven't had any issues with running out of hot water. I don't like that I cannot see the pilot flame though. It is also an extremely heavy water heater but I do like that the drain valve is brass. I just got it so I haven't had to repair it yet. I can't say much for it without having it a little longer but I would definitely consider a Rheem heater if I bought another one in the future.

Date created: 2016-01-07 Location: Las Vegas

"My water heater is worthless"
I picked up this water heater about 4 years ago. I really dislike it in the winter time because it can barely fill up the large bathtub and still have any hot water left to rinse off after soaking. My job requires I sometimes get dirty and soaking is often required to become clean again. I am very unsatisfied with what I purchased for many hundreds of dollars. Buying this Rheem product makes me feel like I got reemed. The unit has not broken down as of yet and it could be my fault for buying a unit that only holds a little bit of water. Heaven forbid it does run out all the way because you will be sitting there for awhile waiting for a few drops of hot water to come out of the faucet. If I buy one of these hot water heaters a second time for my home I hope somebody would examine my head. I will try any other bigger heater from any other brand before I purchased this again.

Date created: 2016-01-07 Location: Tampa, Fl

"Water Heater that does the trick!"
I have owned this water heater since purchasing my house 5 years ago and have never had a problem with it. My family of 5 has never run out of water while bathing, doing laundry, and doing the dishes. My energy bill is low and this water heater boasts an Energy Star rating that goes to prove it. I have never had to repair anything on this water heater so far and find it very reliable. I have not yet had the unfortunate instance of taking a cold shower unintentionally. I would buy this model again and recommend it to anyone looking for a solid addition to the home. There is nothing to dislike about this heater, and I have kept it at a low setting since I have young children in the home and we all know the dangers of having a water heater turned up too high and causing a scalding burn. Overall, my satisfaction is proven by the fact that I have never had to think about the water heater at all!

Date created: 2015-12-23 Location: california

"Raheem Guardian System {best reputation Sueroir technology"
I have I owned the water heater for 5 years, since 2010. I bought the house and the water heater system came with it. What I like about the water heater system is that I don't have to turn the heater on, its automatic. This is great for me and it saves me time from my activities on a daily basis. Indeed, I used to live in Mexico and their water heater system was a little bit different than the one I currently own. What I dislike about it is the terms of energy savings on my electricity bill. Since today's system could literally run on water, HHO, or even radio wave energy emitted by the power of Wi-Fi signals. I have never had to repair my water heater, it's been 5 years and I have not had any major problem. I would probably look for a better technology and I wouldn't recommend it to a friend. Maybe a friend that has low income status could benefit.

Date created: 2015-12-16 Location: Texas

"Rheem Electric Water Heater"
We bought our house in April 2015 and have had a little trouble with our water heater, but it is an older model so it is to be expected. We have someone coming January 6th to check it out and from what we have been told we think the only thing needing replaced is a valve. I know Rheem is a well known name and I hope that it will not need to be completely replaced. If it does have to be replaced fully, my feelings may change. It does seem to be energy efficient, but the temperature controls have been a little off. We are not sure of the age, but I know it is less than 10 years old so it should be in better working condition, in my opinion. We will most likely stick with Rheem if we do have to purchase another, unless this one does have something major wrong with it. I like to stay with companies that are well known and accredited by the BBB.

Date created: 2015-12-11 Location: Copperas cove

"Our water heater is awesome"
I have owned my water heater for 4 years now. It has been the best years of showering in my life. The dishes are cleaner, the house is cleaner, shaving my face is nice. Overall a super water heater that I believe anybody should buy. Also it's very energy efficient, only cost of 508 dollars a year if you leave it on year round and never turn it off. It heats water up to 125 degrees and runs continuously for 45 minutes. Thank you whoever built this.