Consumer Reviews of Reliance water heaters

Read more about Reliance water heaters

Date created: 2015-10-12 Location: Concord, CA

"Reliance Water Heater Heats Water, But Makes Funny Noise"
Our water heater does what a water heat is supposed to do; it heats water. This model holds 40 gallons and seems to be just the right size for two people in our 1200 square foot house. We installed it ourselves with the help of a plumber friend ten years ago. Approximately 4 years ago, it stopped working (the pilot light kept burning out); when we called Reliance, they immediately sent a cleaning kit with a new dust filter. This did the trick. I would certainly buy this brand again based on their great customer service, and I would even recommend it to a friend. However, we need to figure out why our water heater is now making a funny whooshing noise. It's only occasional and it's still heating water just fine, but I suspect there may be more repairs needed down the road.

Date created: 2015-09-28 Location: Fremont, CA

"Reliance SOMS Boilers"
I have been using the water heater for about a year. We tried using the solar water heaters but it did not serve the purpose during most parts of the year in California and we had to resort to an electrical water heating mechanism. This one fit my budget and was doing the job pretty well when I saw it in a local store. The first thing to keep in mind is to purge all the air in the tank before using it, or else the heating element would burn in the short run. I really wondered why they couldn't do something about this in the era of advanced technology. Water gets heated up extremely quick which was something I loved. I wouldn't say it's too great, but it more than serves the purpose and so I am happy with it. I haven't had any repairs as of now. My colleague has also bought the same one recently and he is pretty okay with the functionality. Nothing more expected or asked for!

Date created: 2015-09-22 Name: George W. Nourse
Location: Caldwell, ID

"Bad purchase"
It takes hours to get them to light and they go out often. The worst purchase I have ever made. I bought two of them and Grovers replaced one of them after I had it for six months, I couldn't get it to light. I am taking both of them to the scrap iron people tomorrow and replacing them with an on-demand hot water unit. These two hot water tanks are less than two years old and they were the greatest aggravation and pieces of crap I have ever owned.

Date created: 2015-08-31 Name: B. Blair
Location: Wimberley, TX

"Stinky hot water"
After having this unit for only 3 months, I could smell a sulfur odor when the hot water was on. Several things were suggested on internet searches. Called the company and was told to raise the water temperature to 140 degrees and install a mixing valve. This is not a viable solution. After having two water heaters for 20 and 30 years each with no smell, I felt like more could have been done by Reliance. But nothing was offered.

Date created: 2013-12-05 Name: Arlene
Location: Mendocino, CA

"Reliance sells defective products"
My brand new hot water heater is defective. The pilot light continues to go off. Heats one tank full then the pilot goes off. Reliance will not pay to have the new part installed. They said they will mail the part and I am to hire a plumber to repair the defective HWH.

Date created: 2013-11-25 Name: T Brown
Location: Laurel Montana

"Go Elsewhere"
If you had asked me roughly 2 months ago about this company, I would have given them a satisfied. Now, I want them to give me my money back! I have been without hot water for 2 weeks now and my patience with their "customer service" is nill. Those of you who haven't had problems, best hope nothing happens because getting them to honor their guarantee is mind numbing. The guys at Ace probably with they hadn't sold us this piece of useless garbage. I'm saving up my money and going to replace it. Maybe the guy from Montana-Dakota Utilities would like to buy it off of us since he thinks they are so great.

Date created: 2013-01-15 Name: D. White
Location: Leona Valley, CA

"Reliable, Reliable, Reliable"
I in the process of looking for another Reliance propane 75 Gal Hot Water Heater, my current unit is approaching 20 years in constant use and It has never had a problem. It's getting old and needs to be replaced, but only with another one, which I hope is has much maintenance free as this one. Can't say enough how please I am with Reliance. Just hope the new one hasn't changed much. Very Reliable, Very Reliable.

Date created: 2012-02-07 Location: Orange, CA

"Reliable Reliance"
I have had my water heater now for about four years. I have had other water heaters previously which did leak. This one has been free of problems. I like it somewhat as it does get the water hot enough for me to take nice warm showers. But I wish sometimes that it held more gallons as I cannot always take my showers for as many minutes as I would wish or as hot as I would wish... But the price was right for this water heater so I don't complain much. It's design is smooth and sleek. It is small enough to be easily stored away. I like the fact that it is easily hid in a cupboard underneath where I store my linens. It seems to be good at cutting down on the use of electricity... and cost savings are always a good thing. I have never had any problems with it so I would not hesitate to recommend it especially for those who do not use a lot of water... If you have a lot of hot water hungry people, please make sure that you get a bigger water heater. I am a single person and this one is barely enough for my needs.

Date created: 2012-01-18 Location: Sweet Home, Or

"Reliance hot water heater is my go to hot water heater."
I know that it sounds corny but Reliance hot water heaters are my go to water heaters. I own several rentals and this brand is what I put in all of them now. When I first started doing rentals I used Kenmore because I thought it would help in the long run with part availability. After time though I realized that most parts for hot water heaters are generic. The other thing that made me go to these is that most of the brand names charge extra for the models that are no sediment option. This is really important where we live because if it doesn't have this option you either need a pre filter(which renters wont change) or you have to constantly drain the tanks to get out the sediment. I can also say these last just as long as any of the big brand names. The one problem I have with them is the drain valve on the bottom is plastic and dose not open very far which makes it a pain to drain when you need to replace an element.