Consumer Reviews of Reliance water heaters

Read more about Reliance water heaters

Date created: 2018-03-08 Name: Jonessa
Location: Bethalto, IL

"Horrible"
I have a saved receipt proving this Reliance water heater was purchased 3 years ago and they won't honor the supposed 6 year warranty. This shouldn't leak after 3 short years whether my water is soft or not. I will never purchase another Reliance product again

Date created: 2018-01-29 Name: Larry Van Syoc
Location: Kansas

"WORTHLESS"
I purchased the Reliance 40 gallon electric heater and when I got it installed, I discovered that it was dead on arrival. (I had to drive 38 miles to get it from the store), and after 5 hours of trying to resolve the problem, I took it out and boxed it back up. I contacted Customer Support at Reliance and they told me that they would not honor the warranty on it due to not being hard wired into the breaker box. Our home has been thoroughly inspected by our country electrical inspector and found that our home met all qualifications, including our water heater hookup. But, Reliance could care less about this fact and blatantly refused to issue me a Return Authorization Form so that I could take it back where I purchased it. My advice to anyone who needs to replace their water heater, stay away from all reliance products!! Their customer service will find any excuse they can to keep from honoring their warranties.
Date created: 2017-11-08 Name: John Rossum
Location: Fort Bragg, CA

"Eats Anode Rods quickly"
Eats anode rods every 3 months. Had water chemically tested and was great. Called Reliance to see if maybe the problem was electrolytic or if they could offer advice. Spoke with Tiffany - pretty snotty - anyway she told me that since I had soft water the problem was inevitable and that nobody made water heaters that would work with soft water. Right. I kept digging and found a powered anode that should fix the problem.
Date created: 2017-11-08 Name: Lana Ostrander
Location: Ligonier, IN

"Electric water heater fire"
I had a a fire the 1st day it was put in. I called the hotline and got no answers of why it started a fire. I wasn't asking for a replacement just the cause. My husband told me while I was on the phone with them he found out why. It came from the factory wired wrong. Luckily he was still in the basement when it started on fire and wasn't a later time to burn my family up. So now more money to replace what got burnt. I think the company should replace it but that isn't going to happen. They don't stand by there customers.
Date created: 2017-07-17 Name: Steve jaco
Location: Poplar Bluff, MO

"Reliance Sucks!!!"
Biggest piece of crap I have ever bought!! Blew up on the first time lighting it, almost injuring me! Finally got it lit and it has never been right goes out all the time, called and asked for customer support and all I got was a lady that acted like I was trying to get something for free!! Didn't want my money back just wanted it to work! With no help from Reliance, I will take it out and replace it with anything but a reliance!! I will do everything in my power to be their best advertisement! If I can save one person from buying one it will be worth it! Nothing but junk!!
Date created: 2017-06-27 Name: Frances
Location: Pampa, TX

"Leaked the first day I used it!"
I bought a Reliance water heater 3 weeks ago. Finally got it installed June 24, 2017. It leaked in 5 places on top of the unit within 24 hours! I haven't even gotten the warranty card filled out yet. I don't care what the directions say, this water heater is going back to the store this weekend. I bought it at my local lumber company. They probably won't give me any problems. At least I hope not. I spend a lot of money there. I am not going to exchange it. Too many bad reviews about warranty problems. I don't know what happened to the company that manufactures these heaters. I have another water heater in my laundry room that is 20 years old next month. It is a Reliance heater. I am thoroughly disgusted. We barely got the unit in the water heater closet. Don't know how we will get it out without ripping trim and everything off. Grrrrr.
Date created: 2017-06-17 Name: t par
Location: Cambridge, ON

"Crap"
Hot water out again 4 times their emergency is 4 days to show one time tech left to go watch superbowl never came back for 4 days. They suck
Date created: 2017-03-14 Name: Lola Jones
Location: Oak View, CA

"Worst on the market, says plumber"
They sent the wrong replacement part first. Then they sent the only other part there is and that replacement part too was defective. Our plumber, Tim of Rhino Plumbing in Ojai, CA, said he sees this all the time and that this is the worst heater on the market, bottom of the pile, there is no worse one.
Date created: 2017-02-01 Name: duane kummer
Location: Mitchell, SD

"Failure of Reliance Product"
This electric water heater failed to live up to specifications, the rural water was of good quality, the utilization of the unit was for a 2 member family. It appears from collected data that Reliane has some hurdles to over come, until then they are contributing too greatly to the land fills. Duane kummer Mitchell SD
Date created: 2017-01-24 Name: S. Clayton
Location: Highland, IL

"Reliance is a bad choice"
Water heater installed five years ago. Parts still under warranty however I have to pay shipping to get the part and it will take several days (already without hot water for 4 days since their hot line is not open on weekends). All local parts suppliers do not have part or is they do have it they say they cannot do any "warranty work" even with a "reference number" given to me by Reliance. This should allow me to get the part free of charge (it is under warranty) and the parts company would get reimbursed by Reliance but they say they cannot do that. Frustrated!