Consumer Reviews of Reliance water heaters

Read more about Reliance water heaters

Date created: 2016-11-16 Name: K Preas
Location: Rural Arizona

"22+ years!!!!"
We got this in 1994 and it is a 501. It went out two days ago. Got lots of use raising a family etc. Certainly cannot complain!!!! This heater never gave us a minute's trouble even with a domestic well that produced some sand.

Date created: 2016-08-14 Name: Dennis Moffett
Location: Greensburg, IN

"What did you say?"
Purchased and installed in 2012. 30 gallon propane unit. No problem until 2016. Pilot would not stay lit unless the red button was down, thus the burner would not start. Retailer said I needed to call the 800 number. This is when things get strange. I selected the prompt for residential (let operator know the water heater is in a restroom building at my private family campground) so they said I needed to talk to commercial? Wait a long time and commercial says they can't help, it is residential? So wait, residential says that because my unit is not in an enclosed area separate from where people are it is not installed properly to code? It looks like a thousand other installs I have seen in homes, but they will not talk to me any more because of a code violation. All I wanted was a part to fix the heater. And if a water heater installed in a restroom is against the law we really do have a problem! The application is on me and I don't see it as an out for them to refuse service to me. Needless to say, I would not purchase anything from Reliance again. Very poor service!

Date created: 2016-05-23 Location: Port Allegany, Pa

"Happy Hot water"
This water heater is great and is very well built. I'm using it to supplement my entire house natural gas water heater. The gas water heater is out in the garage, taking a long time to get hot water to the kitchen. I installed this in-line and now I have instant hot water at the kitchen sink. This gives the big heater plenty of time to get hot water there when this runs out of hot water.

Date created: 2016-05-11 Name: Tom Davis
Location: Peoria, IL

"Poor customer service"
Needed a thermal couple, called Reliance customer service They insisted I send pictures to make sure the heater was installed properly and it did make a difference if it met county codes. It had to meet national codes. I sent pictures and called several times, never received a call back and received no help in this matter from customer service. The person was with out hot water for 4 days until I was able to get a part from somewhere else. I will not recommend or purchase another hot water heater from Reliance because of their customer service.

Date created: 2016-03-06 Name: Shelby
Location: Née Holland

"We had our Reliance"
We had our Reliance water heater for 13 years and it just now gave out on us. It lasted longer than what we ever expected.

Date created: 2015-10-15 Location: Klamath Falls, OR

"Positive Reliance Water Heater Review"
We purchased our Reliance water heater in Febuary 2014. We have been very satisfied and completely happy with this water heater, in fact we love it. It is electric and has a 67 gallon tank capacity. We like the fact that we have never run out of hot water. This Reliance water heater is quick to replenish and we can use water to do dishes, laundry, and take a shower or bath all at the same time with no interruption in heated water. It is also inexpensive to operate, costing approximately $0.12 per kilowatt hour. We haven't found anything at all we dislike about the water heater, as we have never had to have it repaired or serviced and it continues to function perfectly. We would absolutely purchase the same Reliance brand water heater again and would happily recommend it to our family and friends. Reliance is a brand I am happy to endorse.

Date created: 2015-10-12 Location: Concord, CA

"Reliance Water Heater Heats Water, But Makes Funny Noise"
Our water heater does what a water heat is supposed to do; it heats water. This model holds 40 gallons and seems to be just the right size for two people in our 1200 square foot house. We installed it ourselves with the help of a plumber friend ten years ago. Approximately 4 years ago, it stopped working (the pilot light kept burning out); when we called Reliance, they immediately sent a cleaning kit with a new dust filter. This did the trick. I would certainly buy this brand again based on their great customer service, and I would even recommend it to a friend. However, we need to figure out why our water heater is now making a funny whooshing noise. It's only occasional and it's still heating water just fine, but I suspect there may be more repairs needed down the road.

Date created: 2015-09-28 Location: Fremont, CA

"Reliance SOMS Boilers"
I have been using the water heater for about a year. We tried using the solar water heaters but it did not serve the purpose during most parts of the year in California and we had to resort to an electrical water heating mechanism. This one fit my budget and was doing the job pretty well when I saw it in a local store. The first thing to keep in mind is to purge all the air in the tank before using it, or else the heating element would burn in the short run. I really wondered why they couldn't do something about this in the era of advanced technology. Water gets heated up extremely quick which was something I loved. I wouldn't say it's too great, but it more than serves the purpose and so I am happy with it. I haven't had any repairs as of now. My colleague has also bought the same one recently and he is pretty okay with the functionality. Nothing more expected or asked for!

Date created: 2015-09-22 Name: George W. Nourse
Location: Caldwell, ID

"Bad purchase"
It takes hours to get them to light and they go out often. The worst purchase I have ever made. I bought two of them and Grovers replaced one of them after I had it for six months, I couldn't get it to light. I am taking both of them to the scrap iron people tomorrow and replacing them with an on-demand hot water unit. These two hot water tanks are less than two years old and they were the greatest aggravation and pieces of crap I have ever owned.

Date created: 2015-08-31 Name: B. Blair
Location: Wimberley, TX

"Stinky hot water"
After having this unit for only 3 months, I could smell a sulfur odor when the hot water was on. Several things were suggested on internet searches. Called the company and was told to raise the water temperature to 140 degrees and install a mixing valve. This is not a viable solution. After having two water heaters for 20 and 30 years each with no smell, I felt like more could have been done by Reliance. But nothing was offered.