Consumer Reviews of Navien water heaters

Read more about Navien water heaters

Date created: 2016-03-14 Name: e
Location: California

"Horrible"
As a homeowner (and end user) I canít stand Navien. Their support is awful. We just moved into our house six month ago, and the tankless unit is less than four years old. We realized that it took a long time to get hot water Ė over four minutes! And or house is not very big. In fact, we have one shower right next to the water heater, and it takes over three minutes for that one to get hot. Itís not conducive for washing dishes and baby bottles. And itís wasteful especially when weíre in a drought. We had the annual maintenance done on the unit and the plumber informed us that our recirculation pump was shot. (The pump was shot after only 3 years of being in use). We called our home warranty company and they covered the pump for us, but it took over three weeks for Navien to get us the new pump. I should add that Navien will not speak to home owners directly, only plumbers. So any time something goes wrong with the unit, you have to call a plumber. (My husband and I are both engineers, and he works on pumps and systems at the local nuclear power plant, but Navien wonít troubleshoot the issue with him). Once it was installed, we got hot water right away, for a bit Ė then it quit working. There is an internal or external recirculation mode. We wanted to use the internal mode. (The external mode is great if you have an established routine, you can run it at the same time every day and you get hot water instantly. It basically keeps the water in the line hot all the time). If youíre like us, with sporadic schedules, itís highly inefficient to keep the water in the external line hot all the time). The internal mode essentially heats a small reservoir (about a gallon). That water is always hot, it just takes a few seconds to get to the fixtures. We have had five different plumbers out here. First Navien said that the original plumber didnít flush/bleed the pump, so the second plumber did that. Again the water heater worked for about a day. Then Navien said the entire house needed to be flushed Ė of course everything was fine with the water heater, but there might be debris in the line. So we spent over $500 to flush our system. The water heater worked for a few hours. The water will get hot, but then it wonít stay hot at all. So a shower will use a gallon of hot water, then it goes lukewarm at best. Basically we have a 1 gallon water heater. Then it wonít keep heating the water. Today the plumber came out (6th time) and did the troubleshooting with Navien. Navien recommended using the recirculation pump in the external mode. So we have that set to run all day. It turns on every few minutes Ė Iím no expert but it canít be efficient at all. No one is able to tell us why the water heater wonít work properly with the internal recircation mode. Also, no one will tell us why we canít get hot water if the recirculation pump isnít working or turned on. Before we had anyone fix the pump we could get hot water Ė it just took a really long time.

Date created: 2016-02-21 Name: Ron D.
Location: Apalachicola, FL

"February 2016"
I have had this unit for 18 months and am going to have it replaced with another brand. It has not operated properly since installation. I have spent over $1500 for servicing. Even though Navien has shipped parts for free the cost of constantly replacing them is out of hand. I would not recommend Navien under any circumstances.

Date created: 2015-12-09 Name: Susan Von
Location: New Jersey

"High labor costs"
It only lasted 2 years. Although unit was covered under warranty, we were stuck with a $1400.00 labor bill. We could have bought a 40 gallon hot water heater, had it installed, paid the difference in gas to run it and still come out ahead. No saving if Navien only lasts two years instead of the 15 years it is warranted for. Jury is still out but so far it's a hunk of junk.

Date created: 2015-08-13 Name: Deborah Shanks
Location: Reno, NV

"Owner review"
Do not waste your money on a Navien tankless water heater. I have had my series NR 210 for 3.5 years and it has been nothing but a problem. It breaks down every 4-6 months. Save yourself the frustration and costs and purchase another brand.

Date created: 2015-05-14 Name: H. van der Sluis
Location: Fort Erie, Ontario

"Navien Tankless Heater"
Owned the tank for 15 months. To date there are no problems and I always have plenty of hot water. In the laundry room there is hot water within 5 seconds; in the shower, within 10 seconds. It never runs out. It has been totally unobtrusive in operation as well as completely reliable. I have used it in a commercial laundromat with great results over a three year period.

Date created: 2015-03-16 Name: Unhappy Canadian
Location: Vancouver, Canada

"6 repairs in 5 years! What could be worse?"
I like the unit itself - it is small (size of a suitcase/luggage) and relatively quiet. We had it installed in 2009. At that time it was top of the line, a brand new series model. It had all the features we wanted, including a small 0.5 gallon tank to reduce "sandwich" effect. So, overall it was way better in comparison to our huge old water tank. However, we had it repaired 6 times in 6 years. First it had a major issue in 2012, all fixed by a certified technician. Then 2 problems in 2013, then 1 in 2014 and now, in 2015, we had 2 parts failing simultaneously. Navien gives a 15 year heat exchanger warranty, but only 5 years on other parts. Therefore, this time we have to pay huge costs for parts + labour. Reliability is the major drawback of this product. I do not recommend it at all! Hate it.

Date created: 2014-06-30 Name: Lloyd Gilliam
Location: Bixby, OK

"Navien Cc-240(a)ng water heater"
Had this unit for less than 4 years. I've owned many homes and rental homes for the past 40 years. The Navien has given me more problems than all my other homes combined. It's been an awful experience. I could never recommend this unit.

Date created: 2012-11-14 Name: colin
Location: ontario

"Takes over a minute to get hot water"
The thing is useless. Wastes a lot of water and takes 1:30 seconds to get hot water. They all tell me that is how long it takes.

Date created: 2012-04-09 Name: dave Deplumber
Location: Wisconsin

"Navien tankless heater"
I have a Navien np-210 tankless water heater. Works Great! Never run out of hot water! No problems. It has stainless steel heat exchangers, they are more resist to burn outs than a copper heat exchanger, because of poor water quality. 98% Eff. vents with plastic pipe too.

Date created: 2011-07-17 Name: B. Hemstad
Location: MN

"MS"
I've had a Navien tankless water heater for less than one year. It has never fully operated correctly. We have had 3 major breakdowns since we purchased it. On this our latest breakdown, we were promised an overnight shipment of a new part -- It never came. We are now without hot water for the 4th day. I will never buy this brand again and I will advise all friends to not do the same.