Consumer Reviews of LOCHINVAR water heaters

Read more about LOCHINVAR water heaters

Date created: 2017-02-17 Name: Chris Tury
Location: Michigan

"Bad Experience"
Lochinvar sold a home owner a brand new 75 gallon power vented hot water heater. The home owner knew that natural gas would be coming to the area soon and requested a model that could be converted from propane to natural gas. The new unit was installed and (6) months later a call was placed to Lochinvar. A picture of the sticker with the model number on the front of the unit was emailed to Lochinvar. They replied and said that a form had to be filled out for factory authorization to be provided. They said an HVAC contractor must be hired to take readings and complete the form. After the form is submitted, then they will review and approve the sale of a conversion kit. So $150 worth of testing is done and the form was submitted to Lochinvar. Lochinvar replied that they do not make a conversion kit for that model and that a new unit must be purchased. They had the model number before they sent the form and requested testing, so they could have simply looked it up at that time and saved on the time and trouble of the testing. So, the home owner is out $150 in testing and must also pay $2600 for a new water heater to replace one that is only (6) months old. PLEASE DO NOT buy a Lochinvar. This is a true story and I would hate for it to happen to another customer.

Date created: 2016-01-26 Name: Jim Arbagy
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"50 Electric Lochinvar"
I had a Lochinvar 50 electric installed 5 years ago and it seems to heat better than the previous heater that it replaced. I'm installing another one in our vacation home as my neighbor there has a Lochinvar and has had no problems either. The Home Depot brand it replaced in my current home had problem after problem and when the warranty expired I switched. Nothing but Lochinvar for me!

Date created: 2015-03-02 Name: Betty McLean
Location: Punta Gorda, FL

"Two 80 gallon solar water heaters"
Purchased an 80-gallon solar water heater in 2008, and in 2012 it had to be replaced because it was leaking rusty water. Now, in 2015, it has the same problem - leaking a large amount of water again. The cost of removing and replacing it, even though the tank is under warranty, is not saving me any money by having solar.

Date created: 2011-11-22 Location: Duluth, MN

"Review of Lochinvar ETN040 Gas Water Heater"
I have owned the Lochinvar ETN040 gas water heater for over 8 years. The Lochinvar water heater replaced my old water heater in May 2003 when I had a new furnace installed, and as the contractor handled both heating and plumbing they offered me a deal on the combination package that included the water heater. I have been very pleased with the Lochinvar ETN040. It has a 40 gallon tank capacity which has been sufficient for this house that includes 1 ½ bathrooms, a washing machine, and a dishwasher. Operation is very quiet. The thermostat is adjustable and includes a vacation setting that I always use when going out of town on an extended trip. This feature seems to offer the right balance between maintaining the tank temperature warm enough where it doesn't take long to get up to normal after returning from vacation yet allowing for noticeable cost savings on my gas bill for those times. The water heater came with a 6 year manufacturer warranty, and it has not required any repairs in its over 8 years of service. The only thing I wish was different was that the thermostat is labeled only in relative terms such as "warm" or "hot" with difficult to see marks between them; a graduated scale with numerical temperature values would help achieve a more precise setting. I would consider the Lochinvar brand again when it comes time to replace this one and would recommend it to others.