Consumer Reviews of KENMORE water heaters

Read more about KENMORE water heaters

Date created: 2012-02-13 Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

"Consistent performance from 70 gallon sears power miser 12"
We purchased this 70-gallon capacity Sears (Kenmore) "Power Miser 12" water heater (model: 153.321640 ) to replace an ailing 30-gallon water heater shortly after we bought our home in 2005. Since Sears' installation fee at the time was prohibitively expensive, we arranged the electric, plumbing, and physical installation requirements separately with a local plumber, electrician, and general contractor respectively. We also had to arrange recycling of the retired water heater. We've enjoyed six years of reliable service from this electric water heater. The added capacity has proven valuable every time we have overnight guests, and the doubling of tank size - from thirty to seventy gallons - did not require a larger closet in our home, nor did it require any significant re-wiring or re-plumbing to accommodate the slightly larger device footprint and much taller height. The maximum temperature is adjustable on this water heater. We've used and appreciated this temperature setting in the initial years of ownership when our two young kids were learning to bathe and were more likely to burn themselves. We have an all-electric household, and the water heater has spontaneously turned itself off a few times in the coldest weather, presumably because of electric load issues in our house. Re-setting the Power Miser 12 is a simple matter of pressing a button on the side of the water heater (and waiting for it to heat up the whole tank). We based our purchase decision on Consumer Reports analysis, online reviews, and a sad lack of expertise and experience among contractors in our area with tankless water heater technology. When this Kenmore Power Miser Twelve nears the end of its useful life (hopefully six more years!), we will reconsider the tankless water heater option.

Date created: 2012-02-13 Location: Fort Worth, TX

"Budget Electric Water Heater"
I have owned this water heater since I bought the house. It has ever since worked as good as new. I get hot water within two minutes of waiting for the hot water to kick into my upstairs shower. What I like about it is I have yet to get any problems from it where as in my other houses the water heater always had problems. What I dislike about it is warranty does not cover any labor that needs to be done with the water heater incase anything does happen. I never had to repair or replace it thus far. I would possibly buy the same brand again since I have been so fortunate with this one but might possibly shop around for a product with much better warranty and more energy efficient. I would reccomend this water heater to a friend on a budget.

Date created: 2012-02-08 Location: Indianapolis, IN

"Renter water heater story, multiple morning showers."
I am currently renting a house with three other roommates. The house has two showers in it. The water heater is a Kenmore 40gal natural gas powered one. If you are the only person in the house taking a shower then you are fine with this. In the weekday mornings three of the four roommates take showers between 6:30-7:15. This water heater works perfectly fine, but not with three people taking continuous showers for 45 minutes. The water heater can not keep up, and someone ends up getting a luke warm to cold shower if you are the unfortunate sole not to get in first. Beyond this one hitch of the water draining fast, it is a solid water heater.

Date created: 2012-02-07 Location: Beaverton, OR

"Kenmore 40 gal. Tall Electric Water Heater"
This water heater is easy to install and works great. I installed it myself within a couple of hours. Have had for about 6 months. The last water heater was replaced because of all of the crud built up inside. Also, it had started to rust at the bottom and had a slow and steady leak. The previous water heater was a 30 gallon, and opted to go with a larger one. Have a teenage daughter that lives in the shower when it's cold out. The extra capacity is great. We never seem to run into cold water in the shower. Not sure if because this unit is bigger, or it just heats water that much faster. I also empty it every couple of months. This way all the crud built up on the inside gets drained out and hopefully won't build up like the last one. I would determinately recommend this unit.

Date created: 2012-01-19 Location: Amherst, MA

"50 Gallon Kenmore Propane Water Heater"
We have been living in this duplex with the Kenmore water heater for two years. I really enjoy the capacity being so large because it heats enough water for all five tenants without ever having to worry about running out. The propane aspect also makes it very efficient. We have never had any problems with the water heater which required service. I would definitely recommend this product to a friend.

Date created: 2012-01-15 Location: Clevleand, OH

"Very satisfied with my water heater"
We have owned this heater for 1 year and it has been very reliable and cost effective. It was simple to install and I have little to no experience with this kind of work. The only issue with this was not an operational concern and more of a cosmetic issue. There was a slight dent in it and we returned and replaced it with no troubles. We have had no other repairs and if in future we were looking to purchase another, we would have no hesitation in going with the same brand and model. Excellent.

Date created: 2011-12-13 Location: Tampa, Fl

"Amazing water heater"
Three months ago I decided to replace my very old water heater for my home because it just wasn't doing a good job at keeping my showers steaming hot in the mornings. I looked around sears and came across this Kenmore water heater and decided to buy it since I could always return it if it turned out to be a bust. Three months later, I do not regret the decision at all. Every day I take at least three showers and they are each at least thirty minutes long. My Kenmore water heater keeps all of these showers at an amazingly high heat level. This particular Kenmore water heater uses natural gas to heat the water so it is ecofriendly and better for the environment. It has a very long warranty so you can put your worries to rest once you purchase it. I would recommend this water heater for anyone who is looking to purchase a new one.

Date created: 2011-11-22 Location: East Setauket, NY

"Can't Put a Pricetag on Reliability"
Have owned the water heater for over almost a year now. With multiple people in a rush to use the bathroom in the morning, my family relies on short showers and a trustworthy water heater. There hasn't been a need to repair or replace it, and hopefully there won't be one anytime soon. There was only one incident where it seemed to be broken, but a technician fixed the problem, explaining that it was a piping issue and not the heater itself. As far as things have gone, I would definitely recommend it to a friend, but to be honest I'm not too well-versed when it comes to water heaters. Before we moved to our current location, our old water heater would break constantly. So, when it comes time that the product needs to be replaced or repaired, I am sure Kenmore is going to be the brand I use.

Date created: 2011-06-02 Location: Winston-Salem, NC

"Kenmore Water Heater works well"
This water heater is satisfactory for a family of four people or less. I lived with just my parents and one sister when we first got it about three years ago, but a few months later two of my sisters moved back in, and it wasn't enough for all of us. It's also not terribly energy efficient. However, if you have a smaller family, it will heat your water well. I would buy it again but I would only recommend it to a friend who isn't sharing it with a lot of people.

Date created: 2011-05-27 Location: minneapolis, mn

"Wonderful water heater!"
When we bought our home we had a hard time getting hot water. We were told we needed a new water heater but we knew nothing about them. We decided to go with a brand we trusted and that is Kenmore. We love this model because it is Energy Star certified and the 40 gallon capacity is great for out family of four. It was $900 at the time of purchase (6 months ago) but I think it is worth every penny! I have had no problems yet. We always have hot water in an instant. I love how easy it is to adjust the temperature to further our energy savings. I will be buying this brand again, however, I am confident this water heater will last for many years. I have recommended this to my brother-in-law because he will be purchasing a new water heater for his home within the next year.