Consumer Reviews of KENMORE water heaters

Read more about KENMORE water heaters

Date created: 2015-05-29 Location: Ehrenberg, AZ

"Lots of Hot Water"
I've owned the Power Miser 6 since I moved into my three bedroom home about eight years ago, and it's been pretty reliable. We have a family of five, and the Power Miser keeps up fairly well with our hot water needs. It's larger than all the previous hot water heater's I've owned which means the how water lasts almost twice as long as conventional hot water heaters. It's also lasted fairly well over these past years. It uses two heating elements, and so far only one has had to be replaced. The replacement process involved an element tool and some work with the wiring, but it's nothing you can't pick up with a little instruction from the internet. In the case of a power surge, it has an easy to locate red reset button. The heat dial for each element is straight forward, and I would recommend setting them about 50% to 70% of the way up and no higher - that water can get very hot. Overall, it's worked wonderfully, and with the exception of one element replacement, it's worked wonderfully during these past eight years.

Date created: 2015-05-25 Location: Whittier, CA

"Very Happy With Our Water Heater"
We had a water damage in 2010 only to find that our 25 year old water heater had seen its last day. Once we cleaned up the mess there came the inevitable shopping for a new water heater. One of the advantages of this is situation was getting to choose an appliance that worked for us and our needs (as opposed to our previous water heater, which we inherited with the house). After doing a bit of research we settled on the Kenmore 30 gallon liquid propane water heater. I have to admit, though I looked up water heaters online, I felt I was taking a bit of gamble by not having much experience. We love our water heater, the warm water is always consistent and we never have to worry about whether or not we will have enough for showers. The installation was a little difficult to get my head around; I found it quite taxing; though that could be due to my inexperience. I would definitely buy more products from this company as well as recommend them to my friends.

Date created: 2015-05-25 Location: West Palm Beach, FL

"Great little heater for the price"
We'd previously had to replace our old water heater. It was a giant 100 gallon unit which was WAY too large for our little house. This new unit is perfect for a smaller three member family home. Two people can take hot showers back to back and have no loss of hot water or pressure. It's also incredibly efficient - our electric bill dropped by about $30 per month after installing this over the old 100 gallon unit. We've also not had to call for any repairs on this unit, having owned it for 2 years so far. I would easily recommend this product to anyone looking to purchase a smaller and more efficient unit. For the price, you can't beat it and I love that I was able to reclaim nearly 3 cubic feet in my laundry room with this smaller unit. It's also much QUIETER than the older unit. Previously, you could always hear the older one kick on when water was being used - but not this one! Highly recommend for smaller families / homes.

Date created: 2015-04-13 Location: Bismarck, ND

"Kenmore water heater in new construction house"
We recently built a house (finished in December 2014) with the Kenmore 75 gallon water heater installed. I can't say I have any complaints about the water heater itself, I think our plumbing and piping is too far away from the heat source. In certain areas of the house, it takes a few minutes to get hot water. This could very well be alleviated with the installation of a better pump though. When the water finally heats, it's perfect.

Date created: 2015-03-16 Location: Richmond, Virginia

"Excellent water heater"
I have had this for over an year. It was during a promotion and I purchased this with free delivery at around six hundred dollars. It lit right up after a quick installation, there were no issues at all. We then enjoyed hot water in less than thirty minutes. The installation people from Sears were also friendly and took care of my old water heater. One thing I really like about this unit was the long warranty, it's got nine years parts and tank warranty. The only thing that can be improved is that this model is not energy star compliant. During the winter months, the natural gas bill can be a little high. But overall I highly recommend this model, it provides plenty of hot water to go around. We are a family of 6, even after long showers from my kids I still get tons of hot water.

Date created: 2014-01-02 Name: L McCartney
Location: Cameron, MO

"Nothing but problems right after the warranty expired!"
Had very little problem with the water heater until right before the warranty expired. Then it started going out. I would light it and it would work for a while and then go out. Then, of course after the Warranty expired, it happened more and more frequently, so the point we had cold water more often than hot! You can light it, but then, when the burner goes off after it heats the water, the pilot gets sucked out with the burner. I have had a plumber look at it and he can't find anything wrong, but it still happens all the time. I researched on the internet and a lot of people have this problem with the Power Miser. They say that replacing the parts doesn't help. I am looking for a new non-Kenmore!

Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: Andre
Location: OzPoOJDsTzplTx

"Andre"
It would be way cheaper to insvet in a portable baptismal type water heating devise similar to the one on the link. They make one for heating tub water quickly but I could not find that site in my haste to answer. Maybe your local hot tub dealer can get you one. The way it works is you simply stick it in the water and heat the existing water up. It does need a 220 receptical.

Date created: 2012-05-22 Location: Philadelphia,PA

"Kenmore Tall Natural Water Heater Stands Up to Competiton"
Last year after my old water heater busted, I was forced to purchase a new one. I shopped around and found a good price at my local department store. The Kenmore 75 gallon tall natural water heater never disappointed me. It runs efficiently with limited sound. My old water heater had an annoying hum sound associate with it that I became accustomed to. Have easy adjustable valves for temperature control. It also came with a 12 year tank and parts warranty which I didn't have to use at all. Never had a problem with this item performing up to its high standards. It keeps hot water running consistently which is key to a household of my size which uses hot water at an extended rate. I have no cons about this item at all. If I have to recommend this product to a friend's I would with no hesitation. This Kenmore water heater is one of the few items I brought into my new house that I was satisfied with.

Date created: 2012-04-02 Location: Fresno, CA

"This is my opinion on the water heater i have"
I have had this water heater 15 years it came with the house I purchased I like this water heater because so far it has been completely maintenance free I have had no trouble with this water heater not even had to relight the pilot light it is efficient and has a spotless track record as far as I am concerned. I don't dislike any thing about it as I say it has given me no trouble whatsoever in a old house that at has been a comfort because every thing else in the house has needed to be replaced would I buy the same brand again absolutely and I would recommend it to anybody who asked my opinion. I have worked as a handyman for many years and replaced countless thermocouplers and heater elements pilot lights all kinds of things but not this one. it just keeps putting out hot water rain or shine. So, in conclusion, I have been very satisfied with the Kenmore water heater and would recommend it to anybody. I like the fact that it has been totally maintenance free and can't say that I dislike anything about it.

Date created: 2012-02-13 Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

"Consistent performance from 70 gallon sears power miser 12"
We purchased this 70-gallon capacity Sears (Kenmore) "Power Miser 12" water heater (model: 153.321640 ) to replace an ailing 30-gallon water heater shortly after we bought our home in 2005. Since Sears' installation fee at the time was prohibitively expensive, we arranged the electric, plumbing, and physical installation requirements separately with a local plumber, electrician, and general contractor respectively. We also had to arrange recycling of the retired water heater. We've enjoyed six years of reliable service from this electric water heater. The added capacity has proven valuable every time we have overnight guests, and the doubling of tank size - from thirty to seventy gallons - did not require a larger closet in our home, nor did it require any significant re-wiring or re-plumbing to accommodate the slightly larger device footprint and much taller height. The maximum temperature is adjustable on this water heater. We've used and appreciated this temperature setting in the initial years of ownership when our two young kids were learning to bathe and were more likely to burn themselves. We have an all-electric household, and the water heater has spontaneously turned itself off a few times in the coldest weather, presumably because of electric load issues in our house. Re-setting the Power Miser 12 is a simple matter of pressing a button on the side of the water heater (and waiting for it to heat up the whole tank). We based our purchase decision on Consumer Reports analysis, online reviews, and a sad lack of expertise and experience among contractors in our area with tankless water heater technology. When this Kenmore Power Miser Twelve nears the end of its useful life (hopefully six more years!), we will reconsider the tankless water heater option.