Consumer Reviews of GENERAL ELECTRIC water heaters

Read more about GENERAL ELECTRIC water heaters

Date created: 2012-04-23 Location: Pauls Valley, OK

"Meeter of the heater!"
We have owned the water heater for almost 3 years. It was purchased new when i bought the house by the seller as part of my commitment to buy the home. The one prior had been converted from a solar powered hot water heater to an electric and it was not in great shape. I would guess that it was over 15 years old. The seller purchased this and we installed it ourselves. It was very easy to hook up, especially considering i wasn't the one doing the work! What i like about it is that it is 40 gallons and with just two of us in the home, there is always more than enough hot water for showers in the morning and if i decide to wash a load of laundry that requires hot water, there is generally enough left over for that as well. It is relatively energy efficient and doesn't cost much to operate. A sight less than the old one would have i'd imagine anyways! I don't really have anything to say negative about it out side of one thing. I wish it had a shutoff valve or something to keep water from coming out of it in case of a leak in the pipes. I had a mishap with a pipe breaking last year and the entire tank had to drain before the water finished coming out because there was a shut off valve going into the tank but not coming out! no repairs to the tank itself, just the pipes. I would definetly recommend based on the price of these tanks (even though i didn't have to purchase it myself, i have purchased ge tanks in the past) and the efficiency and longevity that comes with them.

Date created: 2012-03-13 Location: Orlando, fl

"GE water heater."
I have owned my General Electric water heater for seven years, it is a great water heater! I like the fact that General Electric brand products last, and the energy star products help save money on my electric bill. I also like that General Electric brand has been around a long time. When considering purchasing appliances I search Internet reviews on brands and products. General Electric had a very good review for there products. I can not think of anything I do not like about my water heater. I have also purchased General Electric energy star front loader washer and dryer, microwave, stove, fridge, and dishwasher. GE is my favorite brand, and has proved to me that it is a great long lasting brand for appliances. I would definitely recommend the General Electric brand to other people, and I myself would buy this brand again.

Date created: 2012-02-08 Location: N. Easton, MA

"GE hot water heater"
I have owned my GE water heater for a couple of years. I have had some issues with it. however, it was under warranty and parts were sent to me. I had to install the parts myself or pay for labor. It was somewhat expensive for the amount of hassle it has given me. It is a gas unit which saves money compared to my old electric hot water heater. It has a nice look, but i wouldn't recommend it to friends or family.

Date created: 2012-01-19 Location: Colorado Springs,CO

"My Review gas water heater"
I have owned this gas water heater for over a year and a half now. What I like about it is that it is more energy efficent than my last one. I notice at least a 10% energy savings in gas over my old water heater. If I has one compaint it would be it's capacity is a little small less than 50 gallons which is fine as long as you don't take a couple of showers and run the dishwasher and other things back to back. So far yes I would recommend this water heater to a friend and I would buy another GE brand I can't tell you about it's life expectency because I am stillusing it. Thank You

Date created: 2012-01-11 Location: Kansas

"The Frustrations of Reservoir water heaters"
I somewhat "love" my current hot water heater in that, I love Hot water for a shower and dishes. I generally have had problems with hot water heaters. They leak, or inlet or outlet hoses wear out too fast. Or worse yet the thermal couple is cheap and does not last long enough requiring a $100-150 repair every 2 years when the rest of the water heater is supposed to last approximately 5 or more years (as labeled on the unit). I had a Whirlpool Water heater before and I went through 3 thermal couples in 3 years before the thing was recalled so I was at least smart enough to get a GE at that time to change my odds. Anyway, I really want an on demand Water heater. They are more "eco friendly" by using energy only when you need it (and not heating water constantly even when not in use). But they have to be professionally installed so the cost has held me back. In a perfect world I would have some kind of solar system for heating water....but I don't live in a perfect world. Therefore I settle for "somewhat" satisfied with the use of my GE 40 gallon hot water heater.

Date created: 2011-12-14 Location: Victorville, CA

"GE 48 Gal Tall 40,000 BTU Water Heater"
I purchased this GE 48 gallon tall 40,000 BTU water heater last year from home depot. My old one went out and was no longer covered by warranty. The Installation was a jiffy with clear markings and clear instructions on how to install. I was really simple to install, just remove old one then replace with new one and new lines. Also do not forget to use a water heater blanket if you are somewhere cold or its main place it outside. To see if the pilot is lit just remove the front cover which comes off easy and look through the window. It did not take much time for this new GE water heater to heat up the first batch of hot water. The temperature gauge is easy to adjust to hotter or colder. Another plus is the 9 year warranty that comes with this model, just make sure you have the original receipt kept. The only con I could think of would just be the weight, not that it is any different than another brand, it just takes two people to move and install. In nine plus years I will definitely be buying another GE water heater.

Date created: 2011-12-07 Location: Richfield, UT

"Needed a new and better water heater."
In December of 2009 my wife and I bought our first house. When we moved in we noticed that we both could not shower one right after another or the hot water would be gone half way through the second shower. We could not run the dishwasher and washing machine on hot together either. So we went to the local home improvement store to find a new water heater that we liked better than the one we had. The old water heater was only a 30 gallon and had to have been installed 20 years prior. We chose this water heater because of a few reasons. First was the brand GE is a well known brand and makes quality products. It came with a 3 year full replacement warranty and was 50 gallons. It was so easy to install that we were able to do it ourselves which was great because it cut down installation costs. After we got it up and running we were able to run the washing machine dishwasher and shower all at the same time. We also loved the water heater because it heated up water really quickly before we got it we had to wait a couple hours before we had enough hot water again but with this one we only had to wait about 30 minutes. We have been very happy with the choice we made.

Date created: 2011-11-22 Location: San Leandro, CA

"Review of a Residential 40 Gal GE Water Heater"
I bought a GE 40-gallon, tall 6-year, 36,000 BTU natural gas water heater in January of 2011. I had just purchased a home and the old water heater needed to be replaced. I have had it for 7 months and so far it is working great. What I liked about this water heater was that it was affordable and easy to maintain and install. It also had a fairly good operating cost compared to other water heaters of the same size. A downside to this water heater is that it is not Energy Star rated. I would have preferred to have even lower operating costs and energy efficiency, but models with those specifications were too expensive. So far, we have not had to repair it and it is still under warranty. I would definitely buy a GE water heater again and would recommend it to new homeowners who may not have a big budget. If you keep it well maintained and drain it yearly, I think this water heater will last a long time.

Date created: 2011-11-22 Location: Scottsburg, IN

"Homeowner Sharing Info On His Waterheater"
I am writing about my GE water heater. I purchased this water heater and installed it on August 1, 2010. I also purchased some flexible installation parts with the "Snake Bite" coupling, and it made the installation go very quickly and easily. This is the second heater of this model I have purchased. The last one lasted 8 years, and I have no complaints about that. My children and their friends are constantly using the hot water in this house. I have never run out of hot water with it. The water in this area is so bad that it is undrinkable without some kind of softener and conditioner. The 4 heaters before this GE barely made it past 2 years each, including the original unit installed when the house was built. They could not cope with the heavy sediment and mineral build up. I am very satisfied with this product even though it is only a mid priced unit, and will not hesitate to purchase another when the time comes.

Date created: 2011-11-22 Location: Mayfield, OH

"Water Heater Review"
We just bought a brand new water heater from GE. It is called the Geo Spring Hybrid Water Heater. It is supposed to be more ecological and earth friendly. Our main reason for purchasing it is because my wife is all about being green and saving the planet. We've owned the water heater now for about six months. Up to now there have been absolutely zero problems with it. I feel like our shower heats up slower than it did with our previous water heater. Im not sure of the make or model but the other one was a sears brand one 25 gallons. Like I said i thought the Sears one did a better job of heating up the shower and bath water faster. However, I do not know if that has anything to do with the water heater or what that is from. We have not had any repairs on it thank god. I would recommend it as we have not had any problems with it however I liked our older Sears one better.