Consumer Reviews of GENERAL ELECTRIC water heaters

Read more about GENERAL ELECTRIC water heaters

Date created: 2014-09-18 Name: ANDREW CASON
Location: Sacramento, CA

"Model GG38T06AXK00 sucks"
I own 15 water heaters and this one is nothing but trouble. I had one just like it, and when it stopped working I called GE for help. It was only 2 years old. They said they would send me the part but it would take 10 days. I could not let my tenants go 10 days without hot water, so I bought another just like the first and 2 years later, it is screwed up. They sent me a part and it worked for one month. Now they tell me I need to pay a pro to check it out. I have a lot of GE appliances in all of my rentals, but I will buy no more.

Date created: 2014-05-28 Name: Diane Kobernick
Location: New Port Richey, Fl

"Model XE50T12EC5540 water Tank - bad"
If you live in an area where power is either shut by the electric company or you have power failures - this is not the tank for you. When the tank is "shut off" it automatically goes into the "off" position. This means you have to manually re-start your tank every single time. Which of course, you don't think of and you find yourself with no hot water on a regular basis. GE says that is the way this tank works - so much for buying the best and most expensive tank - $899. without tax!

Date created: 2013-04-10 Name: Bob Brewton
Location: Lake Kiowa, TExas

"GE Hybrid water heater service problem"
Apparently the new GE Hybrid water heater has a real service problem. I was told by the GE service center supervisor, that in order for the high efficiency portion of the heater to be serviced, the technician needs get behind the water heater. Almost impossible, when the heater is installed in a closet or even up against a wall. Note neither the marketing information or the installation instructions documented this. I was told that even though the heater is still under the GE warranty, I would have to pay a plumber to uninstall the heater and put it in the middle of the room in order for the technician to have full access to the rear of the unit, before they would honor the warranty. After the repair pay the plumber for another visit to re-install the heater. Losing 4-5 days of hot water in my house. I paid $1,730.92 for this “high efficiency” heater. When a normal heater would have cost around $450 and now the high efficiency portion will not work unless I pay an additional unknown hundreds of dollars for two plumber visits. What good is the GE warranty, plus I wasted $1,280.92. If this was your product I would want to know for resolve.

Date created: 2013-01-22 Location: New Freedom, PA

"Reliable and Efficient"
We've owned our water heater for about six years. It came new with our house. It always provides ample hot water for a family of five. It has never been serviced beyond annual venting to reduce particulate, we have a well. I added a fiberglass blanket to increase it's efficiency. I have consistently low electric bills, so It seems to do it's job cheaply, even in winter. Overall it does a great job of keeping us in hot water.

Date created: 2012-11-12 Name: S Lafon
Location: maryville tennessee.

"Same problem over and over"
After about 10 months this water heater stopped working in heat pump mode and went back to being a very expensive electric water heater. The heat pump has now been replaced twice and now gone out again. This will be the 3rd time ge has replaced the heat pump part of the unit. I have tried to get them to replace the whole unit since it will be out of warrant in less than a month but They refuse.I Feel I have a lemon and am getting no where with GE. Customer service is poor and the wait on the phone line runs 10 to 15 min. Why can they not fix it?

Date created: 2012-07-22 Name: j williams
Location: chicagoland

"14 years still going"
No problems at 14 years 34,000 btu and 40 gal. provides plenty of hot water for family of 3. Will replace with GE or Rheem as GE are made by Rheem.

Date created: 2012-07-19 Location: South Daytona, FL

"GE Hot Water Heater Does The Job"
When we bought our house in the summer of 2011 the one thing we didn't think we would have to replace was the hot water heater. While it was an older model with some wear and rust on the tank, it was working and we were hoping to put off buying a replacement. The company insuring our home had other thoughts and demanded we have the heater replaced so we bought a new one in September of 2011. We went with the GE Model 40M06AAG which is a 53 gallon model and is electric. We love our hot water heater. We haven't had any problems with it at all. It heats the water quickly and we have not run out of hot water even when we shower, wash dishes and run a load of wash at the same time. The installation was easy and it runs quietly and efficiently. I would definitely buy the same brand again or recommend it to a friend as the cost was in the mid-range for hot water heaters so fit our budget and it has functioned so well for us. We're hoping this GE hot water heater lasts us many more years and works just as well as it has since we moved to this house.

Date created: 2012-06-29 Location: Tacoma, WA

"Gas Water Heater"
We've had our GE water heater for about 2 years. We had a GE previously and never had any problems with it, so we decided to go for the same brand when moving into our new house. The best thing about it is that we are NEVER out of hot water. We recently had company and I did a load of dishes, then 4 different people took showers, and we had hot water all through. The only thing negative I have to say about it is not even anything I consider a down side- the person who installed it said it was difficult to install. Not having any experience with it myself, I can't really confirm if this is true! I've never had any problems or needed to repair it, and I'd definitely recommend this or another GE water heater to a friend. It's also energy star rated, which is a great thing with any appliance you are installing.

Date created: 2012-05-08 Location: Natick, MA

"GE Natural Gas Water Heater is Worth the Money"
I have had this water heater for about 2 years now and I love it. My old heater was very loud and the water took a long time to warm up. With my 40 gal. GE water heater, the water heats up instantly! No more waiting to go into the shower. The water heater is very quiet too. I have my heater in my kitchen and the noise from my old heat was a problem. Never had to repair it so far, which is a good sign. I have recommend this brand to many friends and I trust GE completely. Thanks for my new heater.

Date created: 2012-04-24 Location: Baltimore, MD

"My GE hot water heater is great and it was a great value. Very recommended."
I have owned my GE waterheater for about a year and a half, so it is fairly new. I love that all the water in my house heats up so quickly, the pressure is good, and it stays an even temperature, unlike my last water heater. My only complaint is that when all the way up, the water is SO scalding, dangerous for my small kids. I havn't had to fix or replace anything, and it seems to be built strong. I am happy to have switched to GE, it is much nicer then my old water heater. I have recommended GE to friends with older systems.