Consumer Reviews of GENERAL ELECTRIC water heaters

Read more about GENERAL ELECTRIC water heaters

Date created: 2015-05-28 Location: Nassau County, NY

"SmartWater Heater"
I've owned this boiler for about about 7 or 8 years. There are a few things that I truly like about this boiler. The first is it's overall cost efficiency and power. If you are looking for a strong machine that will keep you warm in the winter, look no further; however, I feel as though it has it's pitfalls at times. One example is that in my home, we have old piping with a strange water and irrigation system. Therefore, it seems that it doesn't work as well as I'd like given the constructs of the house. It has not required any repairs to fix it and is most definitely a reliable brand boiler. Even after all of these years it still works great. I would recommend this brand of boiler to friends and family members in the market for a new system. It comes from a great company and is most importantly affordable.

Date created: 2015-05-28 Location: Macon, Ga

"Excellent Boiler Brand"
I have owned my boiler for at least seven years. It is a good size: not too large. It fits nicely in the kitchen corner beside the sink and you barely even notice it when you enter and exit the kitchen. It keeps the water hot for a long time. I can do several loads of laundry with hot water and immediately take a bath afterwards and the water is still warm. It is also designed well, so that when my daughter tries to touch it, there are no easy to turn nozzels or buttons that could easily come off or hurt her. The only thing I dislike about my boiler is that when the hot water does finally run out, it can take up to an hour and a half for it to reheat. Recently, the hot water went out for several hours, however, it did return the next morning. I attribute this to the age of the boiler. Even though the boiler, may have a problem reheating , every few years, this brand is well worth the money. It has never needed to be repaired. I would definitely buy this brand again and I would recommend it to friends.

Date created: 2015-05-15 Location: Cleveland, OH

"Very Reliable Water Heater!"
I love my GE Water Heater! 5 years ago, I had an emergency where my old water heater blew out. I had to purchase a new water heater, and I purchased the GE water heater. What a fantastic choice I made! With my old water heater, it took forever for shower water to get hot and the hot water didn't last long! Not a problem with my new GE water heater. The only thing I will say is that the water can get too hot and burn if you are not careful. But as long as you are aware of that, you will be fine and you will love this water heater. In the 5 years that I have owned it I have never once had an issue with it. If you are in the market for a water heater, I strongly recommend that you take a look at this model. I would recommend this model to all my friends and family.

Date created: 2015-05-13 Name: A Lim
Location: United States

"Don't buy any GE water heater"
Bought a GE water heater with a 12-year warranty. It starts leaking after less than 3 years. I have to replace it with a Rheem 12-year warranty because GE does not manufacture the water heater. I have to pay the difference of $251.87 for the Rheem water heater and labor and permits for an additional amount of $679.95. Don't ever buy any GE products. Poor quality and they do not honor their products. I have the same problem with my GE microwave oven. Just a small plastic piece for the revolving glass will cost me $30 plus to replace because it is making noise.

Date created: 2015-03-12 Location: New York, NY

"Steady & reliable"
I never owned a separate hot water heater before moving into a condo a few years ago. The GE electric hot water heater that was already installed (back in 2004) within has never given me a problem since I've lived there. The heater itself had been turned off because my condo was in foreclosure, no one else had lived there for 18 months before I moved in. Once it was up and running again, it has acted like clockwork. Because this GE model runs on 240 volts, remember to first turn off the switch on the electrical panel that provides power to the heater. (Not doing so may cause shock and serious injury.) But it's really simple after that step. Unscrew the top panel, adjust the dial in the middle, replace the panel and you're done. That's all the work one would need to do most of the time. GE definitely does have a great reputation for reliability and customer service, so I would strongly recommend this brand to those looking for a new hot water heater or to replace their existing one.

Date created: 2015-03-03 Name: Deborah
Location: Los Angeles, CA

"Terrible quality water heater"
We bought a General Electric water heater from Home Depot for close to $1000.00. The light went out and General Electric sent us a part that took 2 days to replace. The plumber took a few hours to put it in and it didn't work. General Electric said it was another part, and we went another 2 days without hot water. Tonight the plumber tried the new part and it still didn't work. I will be buying a new tankless water heater and I will avoid ge products! Such junk, and all the parts we replaced were bad. I do not want to continue to replace this poor quality unit part by part. It is supposed to last 15 years and lasted 2 years.

Date created: 2015-02-02 Name: J Brower
Location: Manchester, NJ

"GE40M06AAG is a poor quality unit."
It's only 2 years old but my GE40M06AAG has burnt out the lower element. The plumbing bill to repair it was substantial. The plumber said this is a very poor quality unit that frequently quits working after 2 years. This hot water unit has a very bad reputation in the large over-55 community I live in. My advice? Buy a different brand.

Date created: 2014-10-07 Name: South Floridian
Location: Palm Beach, FL

"Never had a problem, afraid to replace it with another model."
I have a GE 40 gallon gas water heater with a 6 year warranty that has finally gone kaput after 11 years. I think it was purchased from Home Depot. It never gave us a single problem even though it was outside and had to withstand several hurricanes! I hate the thought of replacing it with another brand, but I cannot find another locally and the company we are going to use only carries Rheem. Really hoping for the best because the reviews for Rheem are not as promising.

Date created: 2014-09-30 Name: Patricia Clark
Location: Downey, CA

"Do not buy. Only lasts two years."
I purchased a GE water heater from Home Depot and it only lasted two years, then quit working. Under the six year warranty, it was replaced with a new one. I had to physically take the original one to Home Depot and pick up the replacement, then pay a plumber to install it. Now, only two years later, the replacement has quit working. GE/Rheem will send a new thermocouple, and I am on my own to do the repairs. I am 73 years old, know nothing about fixing water heaters and living only on social security. I do not have anyone who can work on this for me, and I can't afford a plumber. Since this is the second one that quit working after only two years, I feel they should service or replace the water heater without charge. If they do replace it, I don't want to have to go through this again in another two years. Do not buy this product!

Date created: 2014-09-24 Name: Maryon DeLIsi
Location: New Jersey

"Warranties are a joke"
Had a plumber come, and paid for a service call and labor to tell me that the water heater is leaking and the gas valve is not good. I called the warranty dept and they do nothing to help, except tell me to have the plumber call. Now what plumber do you know that will take the time to call and explain why the unit isn't working? They want to sell their own unit and make money. I find that everything you buy is garbage today, and no one really backs their products. I surely will not be purchasing any GE products again!