Consumer Reviews of GENERAL ELECTRIC water heaters

Read more about GENERAL ELECTRIC water heaters

Date created: 2015-10-25 Name: Gail Kaitschuck
Location: Augusta, GA

"Disappointed"
Placed a 40 gallon electric GE water heater in a rental in May of 2013. In June of 2013 the tenants reported no hot water. Turned out to be a corroded heating element (date of manufacture on the tank was May of 2013 so no explanation for a corroded element in just two months; no hard water in my area). In October of 2015 tenants reported a pan full of water under the heater. Plumber found water in the electrical connection (not good). Customer service suggested changing the anode rod with the idea there might be a small leak (not covered by warranty) wicking up into the top of the unit. Two hundred bucks later and the leak continued. Gave up on this piece of junk, pulled it and replaced it with another manufacture's product. Waiting to see how GE handles all of this on a 2 1/2 year heater.

Date created: 2015-10-24 Name: Larry Fagel
Location: Lincroft, NJ

"17 years so far from a 12-year GE water heater"
In another couple of months, this GE water heater's life will be 50% longer than the warranty promised. That seems pretty good to me. Of course, GE didn't make it, even thought the label states GE; a tag located on top states that it was made by Rheem and the very complete manual that came with it was printed by Rheem. That manual also states that it's a residential model. I just changed the anode rod for the first time, so now I wonder how long the unit will last. When it does go out, I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing it with a GE or more likely with a Rheem.

Date created: 2015-10-15 Location: Tucson, Arizona

"Current Hot Water Heater Review"
The GE Profile PG50T9A is an efficient water heater marketed by GE to include a nine-year warranty. The water heater is a natural gas unit, manufactured in Mexico. The unit has a 50-gallon capacity and is self-cleaning. It has been installed in its current location for 3 years. This hot water heater seems to be mediocre at best. It produces a constant stream of hot water, but the water itself is not extremely hot. Although the PG50T9A is relatively new, it does not produce sufficiently hot water temperatures. It seems as if the unit is not performing to what a unit of its quality and size should. It has not been repaired as of yet, but it may need to be serviced in the near future. I would buy a GE unit again, but certainly not this model. I would more than likely not recommend this model to a friend, as I would not be repurchasing myself.

Date created: 2015-10-15 Location: Denver, CO

"GE Water Heater Review"
I am a homeowner located in Denver Colorado, and I have had my General Electric water heater for over 8 years and not once have I had a fault with it. Every day without fail the water heater has continued to work and continues to go strong. I imagine it will easily go another 10 years without a problem. There is nothing really to dislike about said water heater. Whenever you need hot water it is ready and available without having to wait. I have already recommended this brand of water heater to any friends and family that have ever asked because it is an amazing water heater capable of any house needs. A water heater you can trust for your home and will always cover you when you need it. It has already paid for itself without needing any repairs in so much time. I would without any doubt recommend this boiler to whoever was looking for one!

Date created: 2015-10-05 Location: Durand, MI

"Great Hot Water"
I have had this water heater for many years. It is well built and provides enough water for a family of 4. We are never short of hot water even when we are running a load of wash, a shower and the dishwasher all at the same time. It is great with protection of the pilot light and we have had no problems in over 4 years.

Date created: 2015-09-24 Location: Detroit, MI

"A Device Which Serves its Function"
I've owned my current General Electric water heater for two and a half years, although it has been installed in this house for much longer and has served the needs of three different families. I like that it has always served its function as needed and there really isn't anything all too bad about it. It's never needed repair or replacement and has been functioning for at least 7 years. I do a lot of home maintenance work and would definitely recommend any General Electric heater to anyone seeking my advice on the matter. We like to run ours a little on the hot side so the water lasts longer, and it works great with this method.

Date created: 2015-08-31 Location: Morrill, Maine

"GE Water Heater: Typically excellent value."
I installed this water heater when we first moved into this old, rambling Maine farm house. The water heater was needed to replace the old water heater that was located in the basement which was failing. I relocated the water heater to a closet in the front portion of the main floor of the house because the basement is unheated and has an earth floor. The water heater was moved to improve efficiency by keeping it within the heated envelope of the house. I also installed a timer, as the water heater's only function is to provide hot water to the upstairs bathroom, laundry room sink and downstairs powder room. In the four years of operation, I have found the water heater to be dependable and provides sufficient hot water for all needs. The use of the timer limits the actual time the water is heated to two hours, at lowest kilowatt hour cost periods, unless the water heater is deliberately turned on for other purposes. The cost of operation of the water heater is very low since the time of electric use is very limited. Purchased from a "big box" home improvement store on steep discount, the 53 gallon capacity GE water heater has provided excellent service and represents outstanding value.

Date created: 2015-06-23 Location: Richmond, CA

"Easy to light, is mostly efficient"
I have had this water heater for 5 years. It runs very well, and I have not had any problems with it. I do occasionally have to drain it of sediment, but it is an easy process. One thing I love is that it is extremely easy to light with the electric ignition. One flaw might be that if the electronic ignition is broken, there is no easy way to light it manually. I might buy again, but would be more apt to buy a more efficient model in the future. With technology taking great leaps towards sustainability and efficiency, models just a few years old are now becoming obsolete as new products become available

Date created: 2015-06-05 Location: Griffith, IN

"My water heater."
I have owned my water heater for about the last 4 years and what I enjoy the most about this product is the fact that it came with a lifetime warranty and it also has a removable filter. Since I have had this particular water heater I have not had any issues with the pilot going out or any other mechanical issues that would prevent me from using my hot water. I have never had to call for any repairs or replace any parts and I would highly recommend this product to any of my associates and family. The price of this particular water heater was very fair and I enjoy all of General Electric's products.

Date created: 2015-06-02 Location: Bergen County , New Jersey

"Reliable Boiler; Dependable for 20+ years"
My boiler has lasted more than 20 years, we had a guy come in one time to look at it one time after 15 just to make sure it was ok. Always have hot water no matter what time it is used. It is quiet not that it matters it is in the basement. We never had that many people living in the house; never more than 4. But we also never had any trouble getting hot water. I am not sure the exact model it is hard to see since it is old I did my best to include it. I would recommend this boiler to anyone using it for a house.