Consumer Reviews of BRADFORD-WHITE water heaters

Read more about BRADFORD-WHITE water heaters

Date created: 2015-09-29 Name: Thomas Sashko
Location: Mundlein, IL

"Stay away from Bradford White."
I have lived in my brand new home for 7 years and in that period I have had to replace my hot water heater 3 times and am now looking at the fourth replacement should I choose to exercise my warranty. Certainly it doesn't cost me anything but the aggravation and inconvenience. My tank leak occurs at the bottom of the tank and after the second incident, Bradford White sent a factory type to inspect the problem and all he did was scratch his head in bewilderment. He didn't have a clue as to the reason. That's it, goodbye Bradford White.

Date created: 2015-09-16 Name: Pat Beall
Location: Joppa, MD

"Piece of junk"
I have to agree with all of the bad reviews concerning a Bradford White water heater. I believe plumbers love installing this unit because they know they will fail and get paid twice for replacement. We paid $900 to have a 50-gal electric Bradford White water heater (M2505605INCWW) installed in 2013 and sure enough came home to a flooded basement just 3 years later. Thank goodness it was close to the sump pump. So I had to call the original plumber, since it was under warranty. He replaced it but charged $375 since installation was not covered in the warranty. Also, the warranty on the new heater is only for the remaining years on the original one. Seems like if they stand behind their heaters, Bradford would give you a new 6-year warranty. I feel someone else bought them out and is using cheaper parts than in the past based on some of the comments of the older units. Next time I will buy a different unit and use a different plumber even if under warranty. Just not worth the problems it causes and lack of faith and trust in the unit and installer.

Date created: 2015-09-06 Name: D.Harris
Location: Alberta, Canada

"Don't waste your money on a Bradford-White water heater!"
We purchased a house 7 years ago with a Bradford-White water heater in it. Within 3.5 years it broke, flooding our basement and needed replacing. Thankfully, it was covered under warranty (however we had to pay the labour). 3.5 years have passed and now the new water heater is broken and needs replacing. Again it will be covered under warranty, however we again will have to pay for the labour. How is it possible for 2 almost brand new water heaters to completely fail and need to be replaced. Never buy anything made by this company!

Date created: 2015-09-02 Name: Janie Russell
Location: Conroe, TX

"Buyer beware"
My water heater is under a 10 year warranty. It is only 4 years old and we have already started having problems. It has leaked 3 times in the past 6 weeks. We have asked for a replacement and they finally agreed but even though it is under warranty, they expect us to pay for the labor. This is ridiculous. I am filing a claim against them in small claims court!

Date created: 2015-08-28 Name: R. Williams

"Longevity"
I hear others have had trouble with newer units, but my Bradford-White is 26 years old and still going strong. No leaks. Lots of hot water. It was in the house when I bought it 19 years ago. I've never had any trouble with it. I do expect to need to replace it soon, however, given the age.

Date created: 2015-08-10 Name: P Law
Location: Sugar Land, TX

"I'm a lucky one"
I didn't know what brand my water heater (attic) was until my in-law asked me few days ago, it came with the house that we bought (new) in 1994. So far, over 20+ years, it has never given us any problem unlike others such as the AC and furnace. I'm just an average homeowner, not a handyman; all I had done was, I would turn its setting to vacation when we had over 5+ days vacation and turn it back on(to med-high; never too high or too low) when we're home. One thing we dislike, it's a pretty big, heavy unit, located in the attic and harder to access. Of course, we definitely will buy the same brand again.

Date created: 2015-07-10 Name: Michele Roles
Location: Maryland

"Do not buy a Bradford White hot water heater"
My hot water heater was installed in 2011 and in less than four years the thermostat gas valve failed. I was told by the plumber it had cracked and water was leaking out through the thermostat. The gas valve stem was made of a plastic material and it had failed. The replacement thermostat no longer had a plastic gas valve stem but now was metal material. Is Honeywell and Bradford White aware of their failed faulty material and thermostat product? But they will not reimburse me the 239 dollar labor cost to have it replaced. I was lucky that I caught it and there was no damage to the walls. I was boiling water on the stove for three days waiting for the repair. The Bradford White representative tried to tell me that the replacement was not made of metal that it was plastic, basically calling me a liar. After I screamed at him that I know what I saw and I know what the plumber told me, he then changed his story to say that the gas stem now has a metal cover over plastic required for safety and to get a better temperature reading. Yes, safety! Safety to stop hot water from leaking out of the tank. This representative refused to help me in any way with the labor charges, saying they have already done all that they can do by providing the replacement part under warranty at no cost. I explained to him he was only holding up their end of the bargain, the carrot that they dangled in front of me to get me to purchase their product and not a competitor's. I vow to never ever purchased another Bradford White product. In my opinion and what I have found on the Internet, Bradford White products are junk. Bradford White did not stand behind this product. Buyer beware - do not buy a Bradford White water heater!

Date created: 2015-06-12 Name: christine Schnitzer
Location: Houston, TX

"Horrible"
I paid $1100 for a 50-gallon water heater a year and a half ago. It sprang a leak at the control arm. It was under warranty. It is now going on day 3 with no hot water. I had their guy come out and tell me it needs to be replaced but he can't do it until 4 days from now. I call and the customer service guy tells me he isn't convinced it needs to be replaced. The plumber called it a safety hazard. If I need a new tank they will not pay, I have to pay installation from the company they choose to the tune of $900! I can get a new one from my own plumber for $1000!

Date created: 2015-06-10 Name: V Wis
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

"So frustrated. Wish we would have bought a different, more reliable brand."
Leaking, rusty tank after barely 6 years? Lived in our home for over 20 years and this piece of scrap metal replaced the first and only other water heater we've ever had!

Date created: 2015-06-08 Name: MJ Wilson
Location: W University, TX

"Poor customer service"
Contacted the original plumbing contractor that installed the Bradford White water heater. They would not install a new icon control valve. They said that Texas natural gas had high sulfur content, so they needed to install a new type of valve for $500 plus a bunch of code issues. They installed the water heater two years ago. The truth is that Bradford White and Honeywell made a defective controller valve and neither manufacture wants to admit it. The valve cannot handle the Texas heat in an attic. Contacted Bradford White about sending me a new controller valve and they told me "no", and said I should talk to my contractor. The guy was super rude. Since my contractor does not want to warranty the new controller because of the "sulfur" issue, I am literally stuck with a useless nonfunctional water heater.