Consumer Reviews of BRADFORD-WHITE water heaters

Read more about BRADFORD-WHITE water heaters

Date created: 2016-03-14 Name: W. Lewis
Location: Utah

"Do not buy"
To start, this is not a model or brand that I had shopped and picked out. In 2008 I was going to have a tankless system put in. The plumber could not (affordably) create the venting it would require based on the location of the windows, meters, etc. He said this here is a great water heater and we went with it. Well no complaints until just under 5 years later when my basement is 1/2 inch under water as the tank started to leak and while we were at work created quite a mess. $360 in labor for the warrantied replacement. So 2013 and we have a brand new water heater. It's now early 2016 and this unit also has a leak and I am waiting on the plumber to come out to replace it. The home was built in 1996 and the water heater installed by the builder lasted 12 years. Not sure what brand it was but can tell you from my experience this builder didn't go above and beyond with much. I am frustrated that I will be just over $1000 into labor in the past 7.5 years. I will add that I do drain the unit annually and while we have some hard water the unit never seems to gather the type of buildup that would typically be seen with this type of failure. Can't speak for the entire brand, but I will say I will not buy another Bradford and White because of this experience.

Date created: 2016-03-03 Name: L Max
Location: Basehor, KS

"Two failed tanks in 8 years"
First gas water heater installed in new home June 2007, it failed and began leaking water in April 2012. Replaced under warranty but had to pay plumber costs. Second tank failed and began leaking water in March 2016. I was told that these tanks only have a 6 year warranty from the installation date of the first tank so I am out of luck and have to buy a new tank and have it installed. The water heater in my previous house ran flawlessly for 27 years and is still going strong. Would not recommend as the tanks leak in a short period of time which causes damage to the house as well as giving no hot water.

Date created: 2016-02-23 Name: V. BELLON
Location: Indianapolis, IN

"Horrible"
I built a new arbor home 8 years ago. Paid extra to have a 65 gallon Bradford White electric hot water heater. Right at 5 years the bottom busted. Replaced it under warranty. 3 years later the bottom has busted on the replacement! Warranty is not based on item, it's based on the date of the original defective one! That explains why they no longer make them as of 4/15/15, but shame on them for not honoring the manufacturer's warranty on the date on the unit installation!

Date created: 2016-02-22 Name: Steve B
Location: Harleysville, PA

"We got 15 years out of our first one"
I didn't even think to look at reviews when our Bradford White water heater went, that's how satisfied we were with it. When our house was built in 2000, our HVAC contractor asked us if we wanted to upgrade our water heater and we did. The unit was a 48 gal, 65,000 BTU, natural gas water heater. The thing just never ran out of hot water. Never had anything like it in my previous homes. I noticed at about 8 years, our neighbors all started to replace their leaking water heaters. These were all builder- grade water heaters. I don't know if the model we upgraded to has a better lining or what. So, here we are at 2016 and it finally started leaking. I was able to follow the leak and I cut away the jacket in that area. The tank had a pin hole near the top. The welds were fine, the joints were all fine. I actually braze-welded the hole to get us through the next couple of days until I can find a replacement. I don't want to purchase anything under duress. I called around, and Bradford White still sells a similar model. I went out of my way to track down the same model. 15 years, all the hot water we needed, never ran cold. I'm replacing it with the RG2PV50H6N. I will do the install myself. I called Bradford White corporate and they were able to get me some local distributors. They have it for around $1,450. Plumbing places wanted $3,000 for it installed. I will install it myself. I think it's a great unit. I hope we get another 15 years out of this one.

Date created: 2016-02-21 Name: Jim B
Location: Green Valley, AZ

"Water heater"
Water heater installed new in new home on 9/7/2010. Failed on 1/23/2013. Installed new gas control on 1/24/2013. Failed again on 2/20/2016. Still has warranty left but that is parts only. So another big plumbing bill as the part distributor is 25 miles away and it's a weekend, so no hot water or pay through the nose for emergency plumbing service. By the way, it is a Honeywell control unit.

Date created: 2016-02-18 Name: Cassidy

"Don't purchase this brand. Lasted under 4 years."
The unit was recommended to us by a plumber. The benefit was a 10 year warranty. We had a major leak, the unit had to be replaced and we were told that the cost is pro rated. That's not a warranty. The whole thing is a shame. We should have replaced the unit with our original brand that lasted 17 years.

Date created: 2016-01-31 Name: M. Callahan
Location: Waterford, NY

"Hot water through entire shower for once!"
I don't think I've ever had hot water last throughout an entire shower until my new Bradford White hot water heater was installed. Great product and totally satisfied!

Date created: 2016-01-27 Name: Roper
Location: Alvin, TX

"Outstanding"
Built the house in 1996. Flushed the unit 1 time in almost 20 years. Just now started to notice a loss of hot water from what we were used to. Will replace the unit with a Bradford White model that is closest to what we have now. Lasted almost 20 years, you be the judge.

Date created: 2016-01-22 Name: Gary Gresham
Location: Spring Branch, TX

"Bad deal"
Water heater failed after three years. Bad deal.

Date created: 2016-01-16 Name: Holly
Location: Irvine, CA

"Twelve years and still kicking"
Just reading through the reviews and wanted to let others know that we had our 50 gallon Bradford White water heater installed in our home in 2004. It is now 2016. We have hard water, and we have never flushed it (not good, I know, and yes, we do have the popping and rumbling in the pipes because of the sediment buildup) and have not had one issue with it. We realize we will need to replace it in the next couple of years, but in the meantime, we have definitely had a good life from it and plan to have it replaced with another Bradford White.